Home insurance - Genuine claim problem - unreasonable insurance company

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4885 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys,

Hoping for some advice here pronto.

Cut a long story very short, due to an accident on Sunday I've ended up with a smashed Neff Induction hob (heavy telescopic cooker hood shroud fell on it). I have had the hob less than a year and love it.

Obviously have to claim for this one so I have spoken to my insurance co (Kwik Fit) who pass the claim to Royal Sun Alliance. I was advised by RSA to contact Neff to find out the price of parts to repair the hob. I exhausted myself doing this, yesterday morning.

Anyway the price came back to a shade under £360 - for new glass, engineer fitting etc. This is just the glass - who knows whats damaged inside?

However - They (NEFF) can not get the part in Germany until 20th December at the very earliest. On top of this it THEN has to come to the UK which I am advised by them "usually" takes 1 week (however with Christmas / New year etc they cant guarantee this). Once it is in the UK they would then arrange an engineer and this wouldnt be until the couple of weeks or so in January.

- Once the engineer has looked at it (armed with new glass), if he then finds any more damage inside for example he will have to order more parts and the process starts again.

Anyway - I have spoken to insurance company - and am happy for the unit to be repaired if it can be done within a reasonable time.

They suggested sending one of their repair firms to look at the hob (no probs with this - its sitting there in all its current glory) but they cant send anyone for a couple of days, so I am told...

Anyway, I paid my £50 excess and they have insructed EVS (their Comet engineers) and am told that they will be in touch "within a few days".

Anyways... move on a few hours yesterday and I duly recieve contact from EVS.

The lady I spoke to asked for some photos of the Hob which I sent last night with covering info (time taken to get parts etc).

I recieved a call from them earlier today having seen the photos and having made enquiries to parts with manufactrer etc. They advised me that they had spoken with Neff and in view of everything (photos etc) they have reached the same conclusion as myself:-

- Both Comet (EVS) and Neff have determined the Hob to be BER - Beyone Economical Repair.

...With this in mind, they (Comet/EVS) do not think it acceptable to be without a hob for so long and taking in to account the pictures I sent and damage, they have advised the insurance company that they would replace the hob like for like.

Great stuff? Not the case.

On speaking to Royal Sun Alliance today - and taking in to account the insurance companies' own appointed engineers have determined (along with the manafacturer, I should add) that the Hob is infact BER (Beyond economical repair), the insurance company (Royal Sun Alliance) know better - and do not agree with this. They still want to press ahead with a repair (even though it will be Comet who repair it - even though Comet have said its not economical!!!!!!). Comet's try torepair within 14days. Apparently the insurance company say that there is no "reasonable time" allowance in which they have to do anything at all.

I do not think that a wait of 4 weeks is acceptible - especially since it has been written off by their own engineers.

I have been in touch with the Insurance Ombudsman who has given me a reference number.

I have asked for a copy of Royal Sun Alliance's complaints procedure but the phone operator didnt want to give me this - saying that they have until 5pm tomorrow to reach an ammicable agreement. I asked again for a copy of their complaints procedure, but have been declined a definitive answer on if they are sending it to me or not - and now I am awaiting "the most senior member of the department" to phone me back (when - I don't know).

To add insult to injury, we are booked in to have new quartz-worktops fitted this coming saturday which is typical (as the hob has been fitted in to a temporary worktop over the last 10 months) and so we need something to be here so that htey can cut and fit etc. We need the hob for then or we will have to pay the company a fee if they cant fit (its been booked for weeks).

Additionally, and most importantly my girlfreind is pregnant and we are expecting our first child. This is really stressing her out and needless to say, this is dangerous for the pregnancy as is lack of cooking facilities (food poisoning risks etc).

I am genunely left with no cooking facilities other than an oven and the insurance company telling me that they are only obliged to return me to a position I was in without having to take time in to account.

Any advice greatfully appreciated.

G.

Hi Gallen

I think the best thing to do under the circumstances is send a Complaint to the Chief Executive, [email protected] Explain whats happened, explain that it's exceptional circumstances, that your wife is expecting, thats the main reason, her health etc. Give him a good summary, but personalise it. Explain that you've been with them some time. And lets see what he can do.

Thank you rebel11.

I have eventually come to a settlement with the Ins Co.

They offered to supply the nearest equivelant which is a Bosch 845T14E from Argos. Thankfully I had spoken to Neff yesterday and they had told me that the nearest equivelant was the Neff t42d85x1. I argued that this is the most appropriate as A) its a Neff and B) the only difference is the position of 2 of the buttons - and therefore HAS to be the nearest equivelant as it is not a bosh which is totally different!

I have now had the go ahead to buy the replacement NEW hob (Neff t42d85x1) and they are paying me for it on reciept of the invoice, less £50 excess. I am paying to have it fitted - and it's being delivered on Friday :)

Thank you.

G.