• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Being investigated

patg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4946 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my daughter is being investigated for benefit fraud

oh well i am truly (edit)...i was on disibiltiy from 2006 and thought i always was on it and due to gambling etc i never filled forms right so have been claiming wrongly and getting money....i cant do jail time and they want evidence of claims..well niow i know no way out....ohhhhh fffffs bye all......

Edited by ErikaPNP
circumvention of swear filter

Hello, Pat.

I've moved your post to its own thread to attract more responses for you.

What disability benefits are you claiming?

What kind of fraud is it they suspect you of?

We may be able to help, but we'll need more information.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

ok here gos, i had an accident in 2004 which resulted in a brain injury,,then i recieved disibility when i began work again in 2007 and as i only worked 17 hours i claimed tax credits.. and so when i got the forms i just filled them in without reading them..anyhoo i got anew job..and basically due to my gambling aand addiction to painkillers i just kept claiming the tax credits...and now they have asked for my p60 ,eveidence of my disibilty etc..i am answering this because you have taken the time to reply back but i am basically (edit) and have no one i can turn to and i see no way out..i know its my own fault and i cant do jail..i have never committed a thing in my life.....am lost and my mental health is gettin worse.....thanx anyhoo for taking the time...P@

Edited by ErikaPNP
circumvention of swear filter

Hi again Pat.

It's really not clear what it is that you have done wrong, if anything at all. You are allowed to claim working tax credits with a disability when you work over 16 hours a week. Or did you not inform them of your change of job/hours./income? If so, did you inform them at renewal?

Is it not just maybe a compliance check? Tax credit do these on claims randomly, I've had them a few times. Though they can lead to further action if a person has claimed something they shouldn't have, where a claim is above board, nothing will come of it. I had an award increased after a compliance check.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Ok i have posted before..and this one seems similar..As i posted before i was in reciept of tax credits and at time was getting disibilty rate due to a head injury and i continued getting it when i began working which was 17 hours a week " iwas in this job for 2 years" then i changed jobs and got a full time job which i hav been in now for 2 and a half years...basically i have been an ahole by saying that i hav been only doing 28 hours a week..and when they asked to see my p60 and my claim for entiltement to disibilty rate i realised that i was still getting that rate..yes i have been an ahole and i agree i deserve what ever fines etc but i cant do jail..and no excuse but the last few years my mental health was bad "2 attempted suicides and luckily survived" My mental health is decling and have suicidal thought but was at a party recently and looked at my kids and realised thats not the answer..I WANT TO OWN UP!!!!! but i have a fear of Authority due to childhood traumas because i always expect the worse..I know i have no excuses i am just asking for help to find a way out of this....i have until 16 od october...please please advice if someone has it ...thank you

now b4 i start i have done wrong and i dont need helpful advice on the thoughts that i deserve what i have comming.I had a head injury in 2004 and was on disibilty then i began work in 2006 doing 17 hours a week and was getting tax credits at disibilty rate. Then i left that job in 2008 to work full time and i was still claiming tax credits but not realisng or maybe not wanting to because of my depression and probs with painkillers and gambling.anyhoo i have recieved a letter asking for my p60 and eveidence of my right to the diisibilty rate of tax credits which basically i am sure that i am not now entilted to and i kept putting in my credit review form that i was doing less hours than what i am. What are my options? do i call them and admit what i have done? i am so afraid of going to jail and possibiltyy of losing my jobi just want to admit it and get it over with..i am suicidal in regards this..your advice would be appreciated..P@

Hi again, Pat. Please stick to the same thead instead of posting a new one each time - it makes it easier for people to advise you properly.

You might still have been entitled to the disability element of working tax credit; as long as you work over 16 hours, you have a disability that puts you at a disadvantage in getting a job as outlined in the factsheet here and you are receiving, or have recently received, a qualifying sickness or disability related benefit as stated in the factsheet.

The difficulty you may face is the false declarations, in respect of the increase in hours and income. If you don't provide the information that they ask for, they will stop your current award and likely make a default decision that you were not entitled to any tax credit for the tax year, which means you would need to repay all the tax credit rather than what you have realistically been overpaid, and it could be made worse if you are non compliant. If you do comply and provide the information they will be able to make a decision based on the correct figures. If your full time work took you over 30 hours you would have been eligible for the over 30 hour element.

If there is no overpayment, you may receive a fine for making false declarations. If there is an overpayment, the course of action would depend on how much you were overpaid. If you still qualify for some tax credit, it is likely they will recover the overpayment by making deductions to an ongoing award. If you will no longer receive tax credit, they may make arrangements with you to repay any overpayment which arises.

Though dwp and local authorities are quick to raise prosecution proceedings, it is very, very rare that tax credit prosecute by comparison.

Examples of cases where tax credit would consider prosecution are:

• In cases of organised criminal gangs attacking the tax system or systematic frauds where losses represents a serious threat to the tax base, including conspiracy;
  • Where an individual holds a position of trust or responsibility;
  • Where materially false statements are made or materially false documents are provided in the course of a civil investigation;
  • Where, pursuing an avoidance scheme, reliance is placed on a false or altered document or such reliance or material facts are misrepresented to enhance the credibility of a scheme;
  • Where deliberate concealment, deception, conspiracy or corruption is suspected;
  • In cases involving the use of false or forged documents;
  • In cases involving importation or exportation breaching prohibitions and restrictions;
  • In cases involving money laundering with particular focus on advisors, accountants, solicitors and others acting in a ‘professional’ capacity who provide the means to put tainted money out of reach of law enforcement;
  • Where the perpetrator has committed previous offences / there is a repeated course of unlawful conduct or previous civil action;
  • In cases involving theft, or the misuse or un lawful destruction of HMRC documents;
  • Where there is evidence of assault on, threats to, or the impersonation of HMRC officials;
  • Where there is a link to suspected wider criminality, whether domestic or international, involving offences not under the administration of HMRC.

hey thanx for reply....i agree i do want to deal with this but i have issues with authority etc and i always expect the worse "not enough space here to explain why but basically childhood traumas and abuses....i am just trying to get up the courage but i fin dit hard and of course by not dealing with it my mental health is effected...i need to think...(edit)...thanx anyhoo

Edited by ErikaPNP
bypassing swear filter

Pat, I appreciate this is difficult. We may be able to help you to deal with this, but it does need dealt with to limit any repercussions - if indeed there are any to be had at all.

When you have the time, and have had a think, and have absorbed the information from my posts (and the linked document), let us know if you have any more questions and we'll see if we can help. We may need to ask you more questions to be clear in where your case is, and how we can help.

It is a lot for anyone to take in and deal with, but we may just be able to help.

• Confused 1

Hey thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I am still all over the place with this prob but i was wondering should i put all this down in writing admitting or explaining what i have done and let the gods decide?? I have until the 18th October....

Admitting that you misinformed them of your hours and income does need to be done, yes. Damage limitation. But also, send them the information they have asked for - you may still have been entitled to some (or perhaps all) of the amount you received. They can only work this out though if the information is given.

Were you receiving one of the benefits listed in the fact sheet?

When i intially began work in 2006 at the hours of 17hrs a week part time yes i was on disibilty allowance. but when i beagn working full time i just thought it had stopped IE tax credit rate not realising i was still getting that premium.I never read letters correcttly..but only when they asked me for proof of that benefit did i realise i had been continually getting it..

Are you still getting disability living allowance?

No i am not on disibilty allowance..started working in 2006 as i said part time hours..so i was getting the tax credit premium for disibilty as i was working only 17 hours...and continued getting it whilst in that job..then began full time job in 2008 and thought it had been stopped..again i am a messy and very disorganised person sometimes i never completely read my mail..has caused confusion as i never read it right and totally get it wrong..so basically as i see it i would owe them money i had got for claiming the wrong amount of hours and the rate i was getting for disibilty??

I think firstly Pat you should maybe speak to CAB or Welfare Rights to see where you stand - from reading your posts I'm a little confused; it appears to me that you may have been entitled to some of the tax credits you were receiving, but I'm not certain. I think you should try and get an appointment with one of these agencies (CAB or Welfare Rights) face to face - they are there to help you and are free services - you can find them through your local council.