• Tweets

• retailer said they'd speak to dpd on Tuesday. I don't want to screw the retailer because they were doing me a favour by fixing it for free  I hope dpd will refund them so they don't lose out. Will keep you guys posted. 
    • Well, we live on the same road so it should be the same postcode. When I spoke to dpd and asked why were my neighbours' address not on the list and she said maybe they're not of the same postcode and I checked and they definitely were. Not to mention, delivery instructions are supposed to override actual customer's address which is why they asked for instructions I thought.
    • again a quick google search states Appeal a DVLA fine - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) i would not be appealing mind. it's only a summary charge which they rarely do court on and pass out the powerless DCA's whom are not bailiffs they have 6mts. see where they go. as you've sorn'd it will probably be nulled. dx  
    • There are a number of reasons why you may not have been issued a notice in the post within 14 days. If you were stopped by the police it may have been given verbally. In the case of speeding offences, the police may issue you with a conditional offer of a fixed penalty of 3 points and £100.00 fine by post or an offer of a speed awareness course. If the offence is considered too serious for a speed awareness course or fixed penalty you may be charged with an offence which normally occurs by way of the issue of a Single Justice Procedure Notice. If the vehicle within which the alleged offence took place was registered to another person or company there is technically no need for a notice to be issued to the driver. After the police have obtained details of the nominated the driver, they will normally send the notice to them, although there are no time limits within which they must do so (provided that the notice was received within 14 days by the registered keeper of the vehicle). In such circumstances, a person may receive a notice several months after the alleged offence too place but still be prosecuted. A Guide to a Notice of Intended Prosecution | Motoring Offence Lawyers the above copy n paste link has purely been copy n pasted here to inform you of the regs, which you could have done yourself by, as this is, a google search......... we do not ever recommend using such offered webservices! dont dx    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4972 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The only advantage I have found in the past day or 2 is that normally when I have been at work all day, I have a mountain of threads to read to catch up with the forums. Now hardly anyone is posting so it takes no time at all to read through the outstanding posts. :-D

Haha, how considerate of Admin!

Who is admin anyway? Is there a big boss person here? Maybe we could PM this mystical person a link to this thread... see what they have to say?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What is the chances of the whole thread disapperaing by tomorrow?

none whatsoever.

it was important to update the software, and there has been issues with the server, so causing the offline time.

there have been quite a few issues, and I have encountered a few of them myself.

I will pass this lot on upstairs.. pleas be patient, webby is working on it (webby is a top bloke by the way, so be assured everyone is doing the best they can)

Well done speedfreek! I had no idea about how to stop it being in a narrow box down the middle of my screen. Fixed now, but still think the changes are cr%p.

Have tried using the bit on the right to make it go away but made no difference.

Any other suggestions on other ways to get rid of that box on the right and improve the layout of the page?

Feebee_71

none whatsoever.

it was important to update the software, and there has been issues with the server, so causing the offline time.

there have been quite a few issues, and I have encountered a few of them myself.

I will pass this lot on upstairs.. pleas be patient, webby is working on it (webby is a top bloke by the way, so be assured everyone is doing the best they can)

Thank you for responding.

I am sorry, but there was no need to update the software as far as I am concerned. I run two forums myself and have been using the same, unchanged software for 4 years. Won't be making any changes to layout or software either.

The people who contribute here in the main don't want to come here tomorrow and see yet another colour scheme, or that motoring has been moved to a sub-category of cheese & biscuit issues etc.

The drop in the number of posts this week I suggest is directly linked to the faffing about over the new brilliantly bad layouts and down time. I only come here to help and if that means an extra battle each day to figure out what boy wonder has deceded in a nightmare, then it is not for me anymore.

With the greatest of respect, please fix it and leave it the hell alone.

Edited by wheelergeezer

I had this until I noticed on the right of the thread near the top there's a box Consumer Forums Menu

if you use them it goes away

I found it as I assumed it was something to do with advertising (I use the zoom page in opera a lot) which usually causes this. Seams a bit pointless unless I can edit the links in there for fast switching. Can I? Who knows and more importantly who cares?

Well done speedfreek! I had no idea about how to stop it being in a narrow box down the middle of my screen. Fixed now, but still think the changes are cr%p.

Yes, thank you speedfreek:first:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes, there has been a lot of upheaval - for us as well as you.

There has been downtime which has been much longer than it should have been and at times of the day which are generally peak hours for visitors. The timing has been out of our hands and the fact that the software upgrade and the server upgrade took much longer than expected was also out of our hands.

I don't foresee that we are planning anything else which will need down-time. All the major work has been done.

However there is more to do.

The site has become very large. Too large and new users have found it very difficult to find their way around. There is too much scrolling needed and it is difficult for people to get an overview of the range of topics we cover.

All the old Caggers - which means you lot, are used to the structure. You know where to go and if you need something you don't waste time. You straight to the correct place.

However, I would venture to say that maybe some of you found it rather bewildering when you first came to the site and it may have taken you some time to understand the layout. Think back for a moment and try to remember if that was true.

And you people are probably comfortable with the technology. AND two or three years ago we were very much smaller and more navigable than we are now.

You people have grown with us and you probably haven't noticed the growth and the changes.

However we have lots of people who come here for the first time who have great difficulty finding their way. We get a lot of messages simply asking for directions to get around the forum. There must be many more people who don't ask. They just go through the pain - or else they go away.

There are a very large number of people who are not computer savvy. Maybe they are old or disabled or they just don't visit forums - and certainly not forums which are as big and as complicated as the CAG.

So that is what this is all about.

There is more restructuring to be done so the changes are not over yet but they won't be as traumatic.

All of the forums will be collapsed so that the entire site will be visible in 2 or 3 page-fulls. Don't forget that there are still a huge number of people who are using very poor resolution screens.

I use a high res 1920x1200 screen. Scrolling through the entire forum still takes a lot of time. Imagine that you are using a 1024x768 - or even 800x600! - and lots of people are. Imagine the difficulty trying to get the hang of the forum. It is a nightmare. And the kind of people who have this kind of outdated equipment are exactly the people who may have difficulty understanding the technology anyway.

Anyway, the forums will be collapsed to allow an easier overview. the forums will be colour-coded and the sidebar menu on the right will be present in all forums to allow people to jump around and to remain aware of the existence of the rest of the site.

Soon, I hope that the sidebar menu will remain "tethered" to the side of the screen so that it will not travel out of sight when scrolling. The arrows tab will be there to expand or collapse the menu so you can put it out of sight if when you want.

Eventually the sidebar will change the menu list to match the forum that it appears in and also I hope that the sidebar will have be colour-coded which will change to match the forum that it is asscociated with at any particular time.

I'm sorry that the changes are upsetting the Old Lags but I suppose that is to be expected. I'm just the same. I get used to a way of doing things and change upsets me. However I expect that you will get used to it. I always do, eventually. But please understand why this is being done and for who it is being done.

If in a few weeks, once you have adapted to the change, you still think that it was a wrong move, then clearly we have an issue to discuss.

I would welcome constructive suggestions but please do understand that the objective is to grow the site and to make it accessible for the lowest and slowest of the community.

The rest of you will have to look to yourselves, a bit, I'm afraid.

At least do you like the new icons? :peep:

Good stuff, and so say's 'the big cheese' :lol:

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Since you're asking for constructive criticism, can i just say i really dislike that your adverts for your booklets at the top of the page comes so far down my screen that i have to scroll down just to see what i have been looking for!

Do we really have to have them on the top as well as at the sides?

Given a choice i would prefer that they were just down the sides :?:

Since you're asking for constructive criticism, can i just say i really dislike that your adverts for your booklets at the top of the page comes so far down my screen that i have to scroll down just to see what i have been looking for!

Do we really have to have them on the top as well as at the sides?

Given a choice i would prefer that they were just down the sides :?:

Yes, I think that you are right. They have been there a long time too. Before our Google ads we had to push the books very hard because they made the difference between life and death for us.

We sold a fair few over the years and they are extremely useful for people but I think that what we will do is put them in the notification area at the top and make them disappear for people with, say, 100 posts or more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and make it happen in the next few days.

Just to add my own thoughts to what ppostggj said. Would it be an idea to ask the users of the site what they would prefer? If the site upsets so many current and possible caggers, then changing it is going to be counterproductive and could even kill off CAG completely in a worst case scenario.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well firstly, we have found that it is impossible to please everyone. Whatever we do, we end up annoying someone or other. Only a very few seasoned Caggers tend to contribute to threads which as for suggestions about the site.

The people who are normally resistent to change are the people who have been here for some time. Of course, newcomers have no issue with change because they have not seen what it was like previously.

Potential Caggers don't get upset. Of the 60,000 and more unique registeed Caggers who visit us each month we only get a dozen or so complaints about changes to the forum.

Of the more than 600,000 unregistered unique visitors who visit us each month, we get no complaints about changes and maybe 50 or so complaints that they don't understand the site layout or messages asking for directions.

This makes us feel that we aren't doing too badly - but we are aware that the people who do have difficulty with the site tend to be the kind of people who I have identified in my post above.

We are expecting a large increase in the number of Caggers and also unregistered visitors in the next few months and so we are trying to make the site even more accessible in the way that I have described.

We won't please everyone but eventually the people who aren't pleased will probably get used to it. I expect that most people will be pleased or else won't be worried about it.

I expect that newcomers will find it easier to get round the site and will soon understand the site and its culture.

Yes, I think that you are right. They have been there a long time too. Before our Google ads we had to push the books very hard because they made the difference between life and death for us.

We sold a fair few over the years and they are extremely useful for people but I think that what we will do is put them in the notification area at the top and make them disappear for people with, say, 100 posts or more.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try and make it happen in the next few days.

In fact it was much easier than I thought and it is sorted now.

The site is not displaying entirely correctly for unregistered users - so I have made a mistake in my coding (it's not what I do!!). I have flagged it to the WebMaster who will soon get it right, I am sure.

Nice to see your contribution BF. It is all coming together now and I can see the sense in the layout.

Your right about us 'silly old sods' and if this was how it was first made live and the upgrade was to what we had before, we would probably

be moaning about that in the same way.

It will, no doubt, all come right in the end and in a few months time we will all have to think of something else to drip about.

In fact it was much easier than I thought and it is sorted now.

The site is not displaying entirely correctly for unregistered users - so I have made a mistake in my coding (it's not what I do!!). I have flagged it to the WebMaster who will soon get it right, I am sure.

In fact I manage to find that error too - all on my own!!!

Can I point out a couple of niggles?

"New posts" screen - On my screen (Fire Fox) I see lots of posts that have had replies but are showing no views - can't say I've noticed it anywhere else.

Also do you know that little arrowy bit that used to be at the side of the last posters name -and you clicked and it took you to that post? Well it's gone!

There may be a valid reason for these, if there is just ignore me - I'll go away. (smiley but embarrassed face) (I see these have dissappeared from quick reply as well):-)

Cheers Wils

Nice to see your contribution BF. It is all coming together now and I can see the sense in the layout.

Your right about us 'silly old sods' and if this was how it was first made live and the upgrade was to what we had before, we would probably

be moaning about that in the same way.

It will, no doubt, all come right in the end and in a few months time we will all have to think of something else to drip about.

Thanks for this encouragement. It is very much needed.

I must say that when I saw what the new forum software, my heart sank. I especially hated the colours - and still do - but we'll get round to fixing those too.

Of course, once we settle on a more interesting colour scheme, there will be another bout of complaints from another group of people who will threaten to leave us or to stop posting etc or will ask why they weren't consulted.

Of course if they are consulted, and their colour preferences are chosen then there will be yet another group who rise up in arms ....

Doesn't anybody get it?

Ta. Flagged to the webmaster

Can I point out a couple of niggles?

"New posts" screen - On my screen (Fire Fox) I see lots of posts that have had replies but are showing no views - can't say I've noticed it anywhere else.

Also do you know that little arrowy bit that used to be at the side of the last posters name -and you clicked and it took you to that post? Well it's gone!

There may be a valid reason for these, if there is just ignore me - I'll go away. (smiley but embarrassed face) (I see these have dissappeared from quick reply as well):-)

Cheers Wils

Yes, I thought that the views weren't incrementing properly either.

It's on the to-do list now. And the little symbol

Ta

Yes, I thought that the views weren't incrementing properly either.

It's on the to-do list now. And the little symbol

Ta

You may have views to be updated once per hour BF - Saves server load. It's in the control panel of vBulletin, to have them update instantly is a huge server resource.

I expect that newcomers will find it easier to get round the site and will soon understand the site and its culture.

Far from finding it easier to get around the site, I am finding it nigh on impossible to find some of the subjects I usually take an interest in and post in. I have had to resort to clicking on my own profile and selecting "find all posts by crem" to select forums from within there! This is a rediculous way to have to navigate a site.

For instance, I am finding it impossible to locate "Vehicle-retailers-and-manufacturers" using the menu structure. Where the hell is it? If I can't even find a subject I am interested in when I know it exists, what chance have newbies got of browsing through topics and finding something that they may be able to offer some valuable help in?

Edited by crem