Infinite Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6469 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey Guys,

i've been in my flat for 6 months and have had the following problems for the entire duration of my stay here:

1) I had NTL broadband, there is a point in the house, labelled clearly and advertized to me by the sales rep at the time. But NTL say they don't service my building, so I now have to pay for 6 months rental!

2) The boiler is crappy, anything above a trickly and its gets cold. It was turned off a month ago as there was a gas leak (despite the gascheck a week before)

3) The TV antenna point, doesnt work, I get nothing but interference.

4) The CCTV cameras, which are aparently dummy cameras which were advertised to me by the rep as being real.

Guys what can I do about this? I took this place mainly becuase it was secure via teh CCTV (where there is no cctv tapes or monitors, they are dummis) and because fo the NTL point as I was an NTL customer.

For the rest I've called them (my letting agency time and time againg) and they said they would get hold of the management commitee (who aparenty run the building) but 2 months on, no news.

They won't fix anything and i dont know what to do, im stuck here, please help

Thanx

A

You might be able to ask for some of your money back, since obviously the state of the property is not as described, though I'm not sure what the rules are with regard to misrepresentations in lettings. The verbal statements of the sales rep are binding upon them as a description of the property, however, unless it was put in writing that the CCTV was operational, you're likely to have to rely on goodwill. The issue with NTL is probably not a point you can argue either - they will argue that while there was no service, it was in a serviceable state, and the rep will undoubtedly claim that this is what they actually meant.

As always, you're entitled to know who your landlord is, and an address at which they can be reached (don't accept the office of the agency, as they have clearly told you that they don't manage the building). If you don't have contact details for them, you may be entitled to withhold the rent, as it's not due to them until they have provided an address, though be warned that generally withholding rent on an assured shorthold tenancy is a very risky strategy, as they can just wait 2 months more and boot you out.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

I'm not entitled to hold rent. When I tried that, I got a nasty letter and a threat of a DCA (who dont scare me anyway).

If you didn't have the address, they wouldn't have been able to carry out the threat in the first place, as you didn't owe them the money, though (as I said) there are a lot of risks involved. While there are laws protecting tenants, landlords in general will flout them as easily as the banks do.

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941

well the reason why im complaining is I had a breakin last weekend, and i was asleep, alot of stuff was taken, in excess of £500. They came in through the gate (booted it open or crowbarrd it) and there are no cctv tapes.

I was advertised cctv, even upon viewing, and it comes to this.

well talking about misadvertising etc... i notices a hude whopping sign saying 'this premisis is covered by CCTV' but they are dummy cameras

do you have an advert or is it in your contract or anything that you are covered by 24hr cctv? If not just the signs outside won't stand up in court - they'll just argue thats a deterrant to theives and are helping you and verbal statements, unless you have a witness aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Did NT:L or the letting agents state (and do you have it in writing) that NT:L is available in this flat? If NT:L said tehy could transfer the service and now say they can't its their fault - just refuse to pay, write a letter saying they mislead you and that was part of the reason for moving to that flat.

The boiler has to be repaired within a reasonable period of time once reported to the landlord/agency if its not done you are entitled to have it fixed at your expense then deduct the cost from rent.

The TV antenna - doubt you're going to get much joy from that, you were rented a home not a TV viewing site.

well I would have thought a sign stating that CCTV is present, and havign various cameras around the building would mean CCTV is about. I remember pointing this out to the rep and commenting on it upon viewing.

Nothing on paper though :-(

NTL did say, for several week before I left that a move was possible. They even booked an appointment for a tech who didnt pictch up anyway! I'm planning on claiming this days leave back anyway.

The boiler is an endless problem, several people ahve been out. Not only a week after the annual gas check (which the estate agent did by letting people into my house without my authority) there was a leak, and I was out of gas for 3 or 4 days.

Another problem is the oven. I've sent several mails to them, phoned and nagged, and still nothing has been done. Every time I turn the oven on it tripps the main power. So its practically useless to me! This is a 4 month old battle!

And the TV antenna, well its needed. We arent allowed to have sky here (as the buildings front is listed as it was an old workhouse). NTL doesnt exist here, so the antenna is the only way to get TV, which in this day and age is regarded as a necessity (hence why baliffs can't take the primary TV from a house, but they can take any secondaries or teriaries).

Cheers

A