• Tweets

• is the home in joint names but this is solely your debt? need far more history to be able to comment if it's paid off and was not just written of by one partly on their books and sold to anther, thus the cra file says £0. dx
    • So, Sunak has managed to get someone to 'volunteer to go to Rwanda hasn't he? .. for just £3000 payment to the person plus 5 years free board and lodging isnt it? - cost to UK taxpayer over £300M+ (300 million quid+) isnt it? - Bargain says Rwanda, especially with all the profit we made privately selling those luxury chalets Bravermann advertised for us   I wonder how many brits would jump at that offer? Thousands? Hundreds of thousands? Lets see, up to 5 years free board and lodging and £3k in my pocket .. I'd go - and like that person - just come back if/when I get bored. First job - off to Botswana for a week to see the elephants.   Of course the paid volunteers going to Botswana are meaningless - Rwanda have REPEATEDLY said they wont take any forcibly trafficked people in breach of international law eh? Have the poops actually got any civil servants to agree to go yet - probably end up as more massive payments to VIPal contractors to go and sit there doing nowt shortly eh?    
    • Hi Wondered if I could get a little advise please. I entered into a commercial lease (3 years) and within a few months I had to leave as the business I was trading with collapsed. I returned the keys to the landlord and explained the situation and no money, also likely to go on benefits but the landlord stuck to their guns. They have now instructed solicitors to send letter before action claiming just over £4000. The lease was mine and so the debt. I know this. I have emailed the solicitors twice to explain I am out of work and that with help from family I could offer a full and final settlement figure of £1500 or £10pw. This was countered by them with an offer to reduce the debt by £400, or pay off the amount over 12 months. I went back with an improved full and final offer of £2500 or £20pw. This has been rejected with the comment 'papers ready to go to court'. I have no hope of paying the £4000 and so it will have to go to court. Pity as I have no debts otherwise but not working is a killer. I wondered if they take me to court, could I ask for mediation? I also think that taking me to court will result in a pretty much nothing per week payment from my benefits. Are companies just pushing ahead with action even if a better offer is on the table? Thanks for your help.
    • Hi all, Many thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, the reply to the email was as expected…   Starbucks UK Customer Care <[email protected]> Hi xxxxxx, We are sorry to read you received a parking charge after using our Stansted Airport - A120 DT store. Unfortunately, the car park here is managed by MET parking. Both Starbucks and EuroGarages who own and operate this site are not able to help and have no authority to overturn any parking charges received. If you have followed the below terms then you would need to send all correspondence to [email protected], who will be able to assist you further. Several signs around the car park clarify the below terms and conditions: • Maximum stay 60 minutes, whilst the store is open. If the store is closed, pay to park applies. • The car park is for Starbucks customers only who make a purchase in our store, a charge will be issued if you left the site. • If you had made a purchase and required additional time, you must have inputted your registration number into the in store iPad which would have extended your stay up to 3 hours • To park in a disabled bay, you must have displayed a valid disabled badge. • If Starbucks was closed, you must have paid for parking as charges still apply, following signage located on site. • If you didn’t use the store, you must have paid for parking, following signage located on site Please ensure all further correspondence is directed to MET parking at the above email address, and accept our apologies that we cannot help you further on this matter.  Kind Regards,  Lora K  Customer Care Team Leader Starbucks Coffee Company, Building 4 Chiswick Park, London, W4 5YE
    • Thanks HB edited and re-uploaded. Thanks for the heads up 👍
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The employer didn't pay for one day.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4658 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the key here is

DOES HE RECEIVE A WAGE SLIP FROM THE EMPLOYER AND PAY TAX NI OR DOES HE PAY A SUBBY TO COLLECT THOSE DEDUCTION

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE AS YOU MAY BE AN EMPLOYEE OR WORKER

THERE IS A DIFERENCE

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the key here is

DOES HE RECEIVE A WAGE SLIP FROM THE EMPLOYER AND PAY TAX NI OR DOES HE PAY A SUBBY TO COLLECT THOSE DEDUCTION

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE AS YOU MAY BE AN EMPLOYEE OR WORKER

THERE IS A DIFERENCE

he receives a cheque(wages) every two or three weeks and this is it. the employer onec a year gives them some paper showing that he pays taxes for his workers.

• 2 months later...

Good afternoon,

I'd like to know what should I do. The situation is as follows: I want to return my taxes back, but my employer does not give me payslips. Before I started working for him, he said he would give me payslips at the end of the tax year. He still did't send me anything. I reminded him about it one more time last week, and he said he would send the payslips via Royal Mail and I would receive it in around 2 or 3 days, but still he didn't send anything.

Whom should I address to complain? Who will investigate this?

Thank you.

Hello again.

Are you talking about your tax return? If you need to fill one in, then clearly you need payslips or a P60. Have you had no paperwork at all from your employer?

Depending on how things stand, you may need to contact HMRC later on, but you may not need to at this stage.

Why does you employer need to post the documents, are they in a different place from where you work please?

My best, HB

• Confused 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

Are you talking about your tax return? If you need to fill one in, then clearly you need payslips or a P60. Have you had no paperwork at all from your employer?

Depending on how things stand, you may need to contact HMRC later on, but you may not need to at this stage.

Why does you employer need to post the documents, are they in a different place from where you work please?

My best, HB

Hello! Glad to see you again!

Yes, I'm talking about my tax return. I have no paperwork from this employer. He needs to post the payslips because I do not work for him at the moment.

I found out something about my issue. Do you think it'd be wise enough to text him this:

"Dear Employer. I've been trying to get my payslips for so long and you still didn't send anything. By doing so you violate my right to receive payslips showing pay and deductions, thus you break the Law - Employment Righs Act 1996, s8.

If you refuse to send the payslips to me I'm afraid I'll have to make an application to an Employment Tribunal under section 11."

Hello there. I'm not sure about the text you're thinking of sending, maybe you could wait for some more of the guys to arrive? It sounds a bit confrontational and could be a problem if you hope to work for the employer again.

Have you had a letter from the tax people about your tax return, is that why you're asking? Not that I would discourage you from filing a tax return at all. Do you know if your employer has been deducting tax or National Insurance [NI] from your earnings? I can see you may not if you don't have payslips.

How long have you worked there please? I assume you're an employee and not self-employed.

My best, HB

Hello there. I'm not sure about the text you're thinking of sending, maybe you could wait for some more of the guys to arrive? It sounds a bit confrontational and could be a problem if you hope to work for the employer again.

Have you had a letter from the tax people about your tax return, is that why you're asking? Not that I would discourage you from filing a tax return at all. Do you know if your employer has been deducting tax or National Insurance [NI] from your earnings? I can see you may not if you don't have payslips.

How long have you worked there please? I assume you're an employee and not self-employed.

My best, HB

May be it is confrontational, but it's hard to be polite with him now.

I know 100% that my employer has been deducting tax from my earnings.

I worked for him for 6 months as self-employed.

May be it is confrontational, but it's hard to be polite with him now.

I know 100% that my employer has been deducting tax from my earnings.

I worked for him for 6 months as self-employed.

Hello again. I don't know everything about being self-employed, but I thought you accounted for your own tax in most cases. Which sector did you work in please?

Have you had any paperwork at all from the employer about what you were paid?

My best, HB

Hello again. I don't know everything about being self-employed, but I thought you accounted for your own tax in most cases. Which sector did you work in please?

Have you had any paperwork at all from the employer about what you were paid?

My best, HB

Good evening :)

I work in construction as a painter and decorator.

I have no paperwork at all from the employer, but he paid me regularly with a cheque. I can easily prove it with my bank statements.

Thanks.

Hello again pugilist. I think it's important to know if you were employed or self-employed. Would you be able to double-check and confirm to us please? Without that, it's difficult to advise you.

My best, HB

Hello again pugilist. I think it's important to know if you were employed or self-employed. Would you be able to double-check and confirm to us please? Without that, it's difficult to advise you.

My best, HB

Good evening honeybee13,

I've allready double-checked my employment status - I am self-employed. There may be no doubt about it.

Good evening honeybee13,

I've allready double-checked my employment status - I am self-employed. There may be no doubt about it.

Well in that case, as I understand it, you're responsible for your own tax and NI. Did you have a contract or written agreement with the person or firm you did the work for? I believe P60s are only for employees, which you say you weren't. Here's a link with information about being self-employed.

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?r.l1=1073858808&r.l2=1073859218&r.s=tl&topicId=1086244520

I've never been self-employed so I don't know the system. You could talk to the HMRC helpline or the CAB.

My best, HB

Good evening honeybee13,

Have you been put on the payroll?

---Aut viam inveniam aut faciam---

***All advice given should be taken as guidance... Professional advice should always be taken before any course of action is pursued***

- I do not reply directly to any PMs, but you are more than welcome to enclose a link, in a PM, to your post. Thank you -

Make a contribution to this site... Help the CAG keeping on helping you for FREE.

• 1 month later...

Dear caggers!

One of my friends asked me to help him with his employment problem. I told him that my friend had a similar case as his and I'll try to help him to compose A LETTER BEFORE ACTION. I'd like you guys to check if anything is wrong in the text of the letter(including English grammar and stylistic mistakes as English is not my native language).

Here are details of the issue(to be more precise it is an email that my friend sent to his employer not long ago):

"Dear

I'm writing this message to give you the last chance to pay your debt to me otherwise I have no other option as to bring an action against you. I remind you that I was contracted by , that is your company, to work for a third party n . I worked for 10days starting on 2nd April . My agreed rate was £10 per hour for working between 8am and 6pm and £15 per hour between 6pm and 11pm.

I worked 60 hours between 8am and 6pm and 47hrs between 6pm and 11pm.

This makes a total of 60 hours * £10 = 600.00

And 47 hours * £15 = 705.00

total £1305.00*

During the first week I was given cash in hand of £420 only.

When I asked you for the rest of my money I was told that the balance of £885 pounds would not be paid as the work carried out was substandard and that the customer had complained. For some reason a letter of complaint from the customer was sent to me, though I worked for you and you were always saying that the quality of my job was good . Please note that the customer had requested 5 to 7 tilers for the job , but my company employed just 2 of us to do the whole job

Why if the work I was doing was not good had it not been pointed out to me at any time during the 10days, and only pointed out after the job was completed and after the customer had complained? I also pointed out that I was not the only person tiling.

This letter is a gesture of good will, as I'm really reluctant to bring this case to court. Hope to here from you soon and hope that you will pay me the remaining balance on monday or tuesday.

Regards,

Mr XXX"

And here is a draft of the letter:

Mr XXX

Address

Postcode

email address

31 July 2011Letter before action

Dear

I've tried to contact you many times to let you understand that your retention of my wages is against the law, but you never changed your mind and didn't pay me the money I had earned. You stated, that the reason for the deduction was 'POOR WORKMANSHIP' only when the pay day came, although you were very happy with the level of my workmanship throughout the whole period of time I'd worked for you (10 days).

I remind you that such retention is construed as unlawful deduction of wages, and is contrary to The Employment Rights Act 1996, s13. Consequently, you have 14 days to pay the amount due.

Should you fail to do so, I will pursue a legal course of action to recover the several days' pay(£885). This will render you liable to pay further sums in respect of interests, court fees and costs.

Yours sincerely,

Mr XXX

Dear caggers!

One of my friends asked me to help him with his employment problem. I told him that my friend had a similar case as his and I'll try to help him to compose A LETTER BEFORE ACTION. I'd like you guys to check if anything is wrong in the text of the letter(including English grammar and stylistic mistakes as English is not my native language).

Here are details of the issue(to be more precise it is an email that my friend sent to his employer not long ago):

And here is a draft of the letter:

Mr XXX

Address

Postcode

email address

31 July 2011Letter before action

Dear

I've tried to contact you many times to let you understand that your retention of my wages is against the law, but you never changed your mind and didn't pay me the money I had earned. You stated, that the reason for the deduction was 'POOR WORKMANSHIP' only when the pay day came, although you were very happy with the level of my workmanship throughout the whole period of time I'd worked for you (10 days).

I remind you that such retention is construed as unlawful deduction of wages, and is contrary to The Employment Rights Act 1996, s13. Consequently, you have 14 days to pay the amount due.

Should you fail to do so, I will pursue a legal course of action to recover the several days' pay(£885). This will render you liable to pay further sums in respect of interests, court fees and costs.

Yours sincerely,

Mr XXX

Looks spot on to me.

One tiny suggestion. Instead of, 'retention is construed as unlawful deduction of wages', I'd just put, 'retention is an unlawful deduction of wages'.

Remember to send it recorded delivery.