• Tweets

• That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
    • Yes, I believe the Starbucks was closed at the time the car was parked there 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Long Term Absence and Permanent Health Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long time now write but never a peaceful moment is there!

Almost a year on from paying the Permanent Health Insurer is now stopping the claim so employers says no more money for me.

I am confused as to why I should suffer as after all I have a contract with my employer to pay this money and not with the Insurer?

Have questioned with employer who is to review but can anyone help me with my contract employment position?

thanks again

Long time now write but never a peaceful moment is there!

Almost a year on from paying the Permanent Health Insurer is now stopping the claim so employers says no more money for me.

I am confused as to why I should suffer as after all I have a contract with my employer to pay this money and not with the Insurer?

Have questioned with employer who is to review but can anyone help me with my contract employment position?

thanks again

Hello again alef. I'm sorry to hear you're having problems again.

I think you need to do two things.

-check your employment contract to see what it says about sick pay. It could be that it provides for SSP only and then hands over to Unum.

-find out why payments have stopped. Some PHI policies pay out for a fixed period of 12 or 24 months. Or have Unum decided that you're 'better', for instance?

I checked this with OH who deals with this often and he thinks the same as I do.

Would you be able to check your employment contract, or maybe the sickness scheme if you have a copy and let us know please?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks,

My Employer says UNUM are driving this but have not given a reason for stopping the claim. My Employer has written asking for a reason stating that they have confirmed with me that no updated medical information has been requested by UNUM for many months now . My medical update is relevant as I have had further diagnosis and treatment ( that had been indicated to UNUM but not confirmed) since medical reports were last obtained and reviewed. Even without this there has been no dialogue to say that I was in fact fitter and therefore able to return to work. I am not being permitted access to UNUM wording I'm afraid.

Original contract of employment for my length of service gave 6months full pay, 6th months 75% pay. The old staff handbook made reference to Long Term Absence i.e. after a period of 12 months, and the fact that the company at its sole discretion could decide to make a claim under its ( the Groups) Long Term Disability Scheme. The current staff handbook does not show that this benefit exists but on questioning it was confirming that it did . HR knew little detail but in the end were able to confirm that I would need to sign a new contract of employment ( see earlier in the thread) . The parties to this new contract are my employer and myself . The contract itself is, in my opinion, ( not a lawyer but have seen a few contracts due to my profession) very very basic. it does make reference to the LTD scheme rules. It does not make any reference to UNUM in any way or even make reference to insurance or insurers anywhere in the document. It does make reference under the payment clause to the LTD scheme rules . These were supplied as a separate document at the same time as this new contract and the document bears the heading XXX (the name of my Employer) Long Term Disability Scheme. This document makes one reference to UNUM where is says the company has insured itself against risks of claims under the scheme and has employed UNUM to assist in assessing cases and that UNUM may require members to provide additional information concerning any claim. This is done under the Definition of Disability rule. Under this rule the words current occupation are used. Interesting that that contract states the need to satisfy the definition of incapability as set out in the rules. This word is not set out in the rules anywhere. My own thoughts are that sometime back when my employer changed from offering a self insured scheme vs insuring ,the two documents were not brought together well enough to state clearly what the intention is. This is what I want to prove so that my employer doesn't move to dismissal ( which was mention to me on the phone) when I say I am still not fit to return to work. Its too bad that they may no longer be insured. My body may be broken but my mind is not so I want to win this if I can ? Employer has also requested a meeting in two weeks time.

thanks to all

Edited by alef
did not make sense on re read.

Hello again, thank you for the extra information.

I think I see where you're going with this.

From the insurance perspective, I don't think I have a great deal to say without knowing what Unum are up to. As I said, some policies only pay out for a limited period, but HR don't seem to know whether this is the case or not. HR often don't understand insurance policies and companies can run rings around them on occasions. OH said you might have trouble accessing the policy wording and need to push hard to try to get it. Maybe people with different knowledge to me would have suggestions about that? Maybe a subject access request later?

From an insurance point of view, I'd say the 'current occupation' definition is in your favour. Otherwise they could say that you could carry out a different occupation and refuse to pay on those grounds.

My feeling is, and I would value input from anyone else who knows, is that if you became ill whilst with this employer, Unum should pay the claim as long as you meet the conditions of incapacity, and that there's no limit on the time they pay you. Unless you pursue and win your argument that the insurance policy isn't relevant.

I will ask OH later if he has anything to add. Btw, is there a broker involved, or are HR doing their own thing with Unum [and maybe not very well]?

My best, HB

There is no broker involved.

You're welcome for the opinion, alef :).

It's a shame there isn't a broker who might fight your case, but HR could still do it if they want to. If Unum turn out not to be following the rules, I think I'm right in saying that you can still follow their complaints procedure and then go to the ombudsman afterwards, if appropriate.

But to take the insurance route, you need to know more about why the benefit has stopped.

My best, HB

• 2 weeks later...

ANYTHING COME OF THIS hONEY I WAS JUST READING ABOUT UNUM AND ASOS STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN READ ON EXCERPS FROM PRIVATE EYE

MUTUAL BENEFITS

unum.gif

The American insurance giant has been very cosy

with successive British governments

Tricky questions are again being asked about the profits American insurance giant Unum stands to make from its massive media push on income protection cover, promoted as the answer to the latest tough welfare reforms.

Pulling stunts like persuading six bloggers to live for a week on the current average benefit of £95 and then write about it, Jack McGarry, chief executive at Unum UK (pictured), earlier this year warned: “The government’s welfare reform bill will seek to tighten the gateway to benefits for those people unable to work due to sickness or injury. Each year up to 1m people in the UK become disabled and the reforms mean that working people will be able to rely less on state benefits to maintain the standard of living they were used to prior to their illness.” Well, Unum should know. Behind the scenes it has been helping Tory and Labour governments slash the benefits of disabled and sick people for years – going right back to Peter Lilley’s social security “Incapacity for Work” reforms of 1994. Lilley hired John Le Cascio, then vice-president of Unum, to advise on “claims management”. Le Cascio also sat on the “medical evaluation group”, which – according to Professor Jonathan Rutherford in the academic journal Soundings – was set up to design and enforce more stringent medical tests.

At the same time, the UK wing of Unum was launching what it boasted was “a concerted effort to harness the potential” from predicted cuts in benefits, urging people to protect themselves with a “long-term disability policy from Unum”.

Eye asked first

The Eye first questioned Unum about the possibility of a serious conflict of interest back in 1995. Dr Le Cascio said he didn’t “feel that way” and wouldn’t have taken the government job if he thought there was a conflict. That, of course, was ten years before Unum was found guilty in the US of “systematically violating” insurance regulations and fraudulently denying or “low-balling” claims using phony medical reports, misrepresentation and biased investigations (see Ad Nauseam, last Eye).

Fast-forward 16 years, and plus ça change. Unum’s tarnished reputation has done nothing to diminish its influence here and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is still denying there’s anything amiss about Unum’s more recent meddling. In a lengthy reply last month to Norman Lamb, Nick Clegg’s chief adviser, the DWP neatly skirted questions about whether Unum was advising on welfare reform and about its unlawful activities in the US.

Yet Unum executives sat on both the mental health and physical function “technical working groups” set up under the Labour government in 2006, which reviewed and finally came up with the new, stricter “work compatibility assessments”, introduced for new claimants in 2008. In fact Unum and Atos, the huge French outsourcing company that holds the government’s multimillion contract to conduct the widely criticised assessments on behalf of the DWP (see In the Back, last Eye), were the only for-profit companies represented on the groups. Unum chief executive McGarry has now been appointed to the expert panel reviewing the sickness absence from work system announced by the government in February.

Lobby styles

Prof Rutherford wrote that Unum had also been “building its influence” in a variety of ways over a number of years. He said that in 2001 Le Cascio was a key player at a ground-breaking conference at Woodstock near Oxford, titled “Malingering and Illness Deception”. Malcolm Wicks, Labour work minister at the time, and Mansel Aylward, then chief medical officer at the DWP, were among the 39 delegates.

In the same year, Unum launched a public private partnership to act as a pressure group to extend influence in policymaking. And in 2004 it opened the £1.6m UnumProvident Centre for Psychosocial and Disability Research at Cardiff University. (The centre has since been renamed and Unum says it no longer provides any funding – no doubt because of claims that academic integrity could be called into question by its influence.)

Unum has been lobbying, sitting on expert groups and hosting meetings at party conferences of all colours ever since. And lo and behold, in May this year, Unum’s then medical officer Prof Michael O’Donnell jumped ship to become chief medical officer at Atos. He barely had time to catch his breath before giving evidence to the Commons committee looking at the welfare reform bill.

But Unum is once again denying any conflict of interest “since our current work with the DWP and our marketing campaign are different.” It said its current consultation work is about helping people return to work and its advertising campaign was educational and does not support tightening benefit changes.

Meanwhile disability activists who have fallen foul and been forced to appeal cuts in DWP benefits based on flawed Atos assessments, and campaigning groups like Black Triangle, think the whole thing stinks and are urging MPs to investigate

Have read this type of article before. As you say both UNUM and ATOS are out to stop paying benefits.

I in the spirit of the forum am fighting on and obtaining the medical reports that are evidentially required to allow UNUM to reconsider this matter.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Me again, awaiting a decision from UNUM my Employer having asked them to reopen the case and review.

Meantime meeting with my Employer who want me to tell them what I feel I can do in the workplace. This is a nightmare as I feel that unless I lie and agree that I can do all the tasks I did before then they will try to dismiss me on the grounds of cabilitites ( or lack of them) .

Alef

• 1 month later...

Unum have upheld their original decision to cease paying the claim . They say they have assessed the claim again the Defintition C test of incapacity which is that alef due to illness or injury is unable to perform the material and substantial duties of his/her Insured Occupation and is unable to by reason of illness or injury to follow Any Occupation for which she is reasonably fitted by reason of training, education or experience.

Employer has provided this response and I now have the opportunity to present to the decision makers responsible for my Employers long term disability scheme to say why I think I still meet the definition of incapacity. Before I do this very very challenging thing I am still not sure that the definition used the documents that are the contract between my employer and I means the same as the Unum one. The definition of disability contained in these documents says that a claim will only be admitted if by reason of sickness you are unable to perform the material and substantial duties required of you in your current occupation and there is no reasonable alternative occupation which you are suited and which you can perform.

Is Insured Occupation the same as current occupation or does is it insurance speak for the category of employee and that the actual cover is about me being unable to do any occupation.

The category of occupation I held I would consider to be as non manual qualified professional with corporate client responsibilities. Core competencies as you might expect, senior level technical experience and professional knowledge, strong communication, strategic, negotiation skills.. This skill set albeit a little rusty remains intact. It is the every day required functional capabilities of walking, standing, sitting that are limited in terms of lack of ability and consistency of ability before low level pain increased to the point of flare up of upper limb and back pain. Pain and ability of movements can be further increased and limited where additional functionalities are added e.g. sitting typing, reading, holding a telephone. I have unable to withstand load beyond very very light pressure without suffering consequential flare up ( assuming the load is attemptable in the first instance). This is a result of conditions I have listed earlier and all medical advice is to continue with pain management strategies , analgesic pain relief, biannual specialist injected pain relief, pacing, cognitive behaviour therapy, physiotherapy. I am encourage by pain clinicians to be positive about what I can achieve and that none of us know how things might be going forward.

I hope that there is a way through this .

Alef

Hello again.

I would be arguing against the terms of the policy rather than what your employer says. I would expect Unum to use their own wording. That's the contract in force between them and your employer. I'm a bit confused about this:

They say they have assessed the claim again the Defintition C test of incapacity which is that alef due to illness or injury is unable to perform the material and substantial duties of his/her Insured Occupation and is unable to by reason of illness or injury to follow Any Occupation for which she is reasonably fitted by reason of training, education or experience.

I read that as if you meet definition C, as in being unable to do things, or are you saying that they think you are 'able' to meet the criteria above?

Have you spoken to the FSA at all? They have a helpline that you can ring about problems you're having and if you persist a little, I hope you'll be able to find someone with specialist knowledge of PHI/PDI insurance.

Ultimately, if you don't like Unum's final decision, this is where you are likely to end up, the FSA and the ombudsman.

My best, HB

Having problems with UNUM myself, can I bypass FOS and proceed to Small Claims Court?

Anyone can go to court as long as they follow the CPRs. It's likely to be a lot quicker than FOS.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 4 weeks later...

What happens now? Employer saying after review they agree with Unums decision but they are not as Employer saying that they think I am unable to do my old job but that I am able to work in some capacity. Difficulty for me is that my Employer saying they don't have a job for me. So probably going to be dismissed this month!! Unum have acted badly in my case and having received copy of complete file ( remember that one guys you can get the file free if you write to their data protection officer) I know where I would like to challenge them. What are the various ways, earlier thread talked of court and CPRs ( what are they) ?

Thanks all

Alef