• Tweets

• Hi With the Section 21 Notice I do hope the Landlord issued you with: Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the Property How to Rent Guide A current Gas Safety Certificate (if gas in the Property) If above have not been provided to the Tenant by the Landlord then they can't use a Section 21 Notice until the above have been provided (note you don't warn the Landlord of this until but put it in your defence) Have a good read of this link: Evicting tenants in England: Section 21 and Section 8 notices - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK Information for landlords in England on tenant eviction: assured shorthold tenancies, including eviction notices, Section 21, Section 8, accelerated possession, possession orders, bailiffs  
    • good idea take some pix and put them in a PDF read UPLOAD dx
    • thread title updated moved to overseas debt forum. sadly as they are outside any UK jurisdiction upon DCA rules which state in the UK they must not call employers, there not alot you can do to stop these scammers. make sure you totally make private ALL social media twitter/facebook/linked in etc etc as there no-way for them to findout where you work otherwise so you must have a leak somewhere. find it. your employer details arent even legally available to UK DCA's so how have they found it out to date???  simply write to the BANK informing them of your correct and current address ALWAYS!!. if you want to arrange payment or not TO THE BANK ONLY thats upto you. never ever ignore a Statutory Demand a Letter Of Claim a Court Claimform. if if if any of those ever happen. till then ignore and rewash. dx    
    • Date of issue –   13 may 2024 AOS date 31st may defence filing date 14th june plenty of lowell card claimform threads here use our enhanced google searchbox Lowell card claimform id be reading at least 5-10 threads a day. do NOT MISS your defence filing whatever happens.  
    • Hello All,  I’m hoping someone can help me urgently here. Firstly, I’d like to say I have read multiple other threads and have some what an idea of what I should be doing, however my case might be slightly different so coming with my own questions here.    my situation is I lived in Dubai and had a credit card and a loan, loan with HSBC and credit card with Emirates (or the other way round), I lost my job and was forced to leave the country as I was staying in the country on my companies visa.    since coming back, after a few years 2 different debt collections agencies have been approaching me (one being IDRW and the other J&P). I’ve never answered IDRWW and they constantly chase me by calling and messaging me and my employer. My current company is ok with this as I explained the situation but I’m soon to be joining a new company who definitely won’t be ok with being messaged and called. I’m afraid to continue to ignore them as they may message and calm the new employer as they have before and I’ll lose my job. However, it seems clear from these forums that dealing with the debt collection agencies is never a good idea. You shouldn’t agree to the amount or pay anything.    j&p caught me on my phone but I still haven't sent them any money or confirmed the amount they’re saying is owed, they keep pushing to pay off the “principal” amount by making monthly payments, from reading these forums it seems like if I make one of those payments (they have provided bank details for ENBD), then it’ll just be paying off interest and not actually clearing the principle debt and the bank won’t even approve receipt of payment or that it’s coming off principle.    this is my predicament as ignoring them might not be an option if they chase my new employer. Maybe there’s a way to ensure the debt collection agency don’t contact my new employer?? I don’t know? Massively appreciate peoples help here. Thanks, 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot's Licence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4989 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya,

Maybe worth another look.....did you get a letter re the assignment from the original creditor and, if so, does it state which Cabot the account was sold to? My Cabot letters don't actually state Cabot (UK) anywhere (except, stretching it, as an email address) but all the court docs are Cabot (UK).

Worth clarifying....

MX

Hi my NOA show account sold to Cabot UK but all communications etc to be directes to Cabot Europe!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at donkey's post 26, there is a link to the public register there.

I did try but after ages of 'loading', I realised I was getting nowhere. Or maybe it's on overload??? Too many inquiries??? Mx

I understand they are two separate companies, they have two different registrations at Companies House and at OFT.

If Cabot (Europe) is collecting on behalf of Cabot (UK), wouldn't there need to be a NOA between them??

MX

Yes there would but no-one has had a sight of any notice of assignment between the two

hadituptohere

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

Yes there would but no-one has had a sight of any notice of assignment between the two

hadituptohere

Well, I think I'll weave it into my WS and see what happens!! MX

No one should be collecting for Cabot Uk - they don't have a licence!:D

Pinky, the CCA Licence appertaining to Cabot Financial UK Limited, is marked as: current;

open;

pending:

CCA Search :: CCA Search Results :: Licence Details

Application / Licence Details

Licence Number:0472690Licence Status:Current

Current Applicant / Licensee:

Business Name Company Registration Number

Cabot Financial (UK) Limited 3757424

Categories:

Consumer credit

Credit brokerage

Debt administration

Debt collecting

Provision of debt-adjusting on a commercial basis

Right To Canvass Off Trade Premises:Yes

Trading Name(s) (Historic):

KH (No.1)

Cabot Financial (UK) Limited

Cabot Financial (uk) Limited

Issued Date: 07-Aug-1999 Expiry Date: 07-Sep-2009

Legal Formation:

Body Corporate (incorporated inside UK)

Current Individuals that run the organisation:

Name Position

Glen Paul Crawford OFFICER

John David Randall

Mr Kenneth William Maynard OFFICER

Historic Individuals that run the organisation:

Name Position

Angela Jane Church OFFICER

Richard Terrell Langstaff OFFICER

Nature of Business:

Other

Current Address(es):

Address Type Address

Correspondence 1, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UA

Principal Place Of Business 1, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UA, United Kingdom

Registered Office 1, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4UA, United Kingdom

Historic Address(es):

Address Type Address

Correspondence 10, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4LT

Principal Place Of Business 10, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4LT

Principal Place Of Business Borodin House, 6, Beaconsfield Court, Garforth, LEEDS, LS25 1QH, United Kingdom

Registered Office 10, Kings Hill Avenue, Kings Hill, West Malling, Kent, ME19 4LT

Registered Office Borodin House, 6, Beaconsfield Court, Garforth, LEEDS, LS25 1QH, United Kingdom

The term; open/pending does not mean that they do not have a Consumer Credit Licence.

What it does mean is that, the OFT are looking at the 'requirements'; could be any number of issues (?). Before, renewing their CCA Licence.

The licence itself has expired. The OFT are using S29 to keep the licence current whilst they sit on the fence and decide what to do about all Cabot's breaches of consumer law and OFT guidelines. Why are they running scared of taking action against rogue DCAs like Cabot? It is time that was questioned - by all of us. For too long we have simply accepted the OFT not doing what it was set up to do. In the past it took 2 months to renew a licence and the legislation was not intended to hold an expired licence open indefinitely prior to renewal.

I wrote to the OFT today and this is what I said:

"The OFT might should know that consumers are fed up with the OFT hiding behind Section 29 in their lengthy procedure for granting consumer credit licence renewals and for tolerating endless breaches of law and guidelines by debt collection agencies. This was inevitable and the integrity of the OFT is very much in question. One consumer is going to raise it in a forthcoming court case.

Cabot's licence has not been renewed for whatever reason - and there are others who aren't fit to hold a licence - and the feeling is that the OFT is sitting on the fence and unwilling to take action against BIG DCAs which totally ignore consumer law and breach guidelines as a matter of course, knowing the OFT will do nothing about it. DCAs should not be allowed to continue trading indefinitely after their licences have expired simply because the OFT are impotent to take action against them, nor should there be any room for any question of backroom deals or worse between the OFT and the DCAs and that is a question consumers are asking. Why do the OFT let them get away with it when they were set up to stop it? What is in it for the OFT? Why do the OFT always consult them before issuing guidelines and are thus not impartial? The OFT have left themselves wide open for that kind of debate by their inaction.

This situation keeps rogue companies in business, and doesn't enforce legal and guideline standards, which is what licences are for.

If Cabot and other DCAs are unfit to hold a licence then their businesses should be closed - they are causing untold misery to millions of people whilst the OFT sits on the fence and allows it to happen.

Why is this incompetency to take action against bad DCAs happening when the CEO of the OFT is the highest paid Civil Servant in the country?

I am not interested in what is going on behind the scenes so you can skip the stock reply that any dealings between the DCA and debt collection agencies is confidential. I also know what the OFT have done - taken action against small debt collection agencies no one has ever heard off and the rest get a slap on the wrist. The fact is that the OFT are not doing their job and that is the bottom line.

The groundswell amongst consumers against the OFT is growing. I suggest the OFT listen to it."

I sent a copy to the CEO of the FSA and the Prime Minister. One knock on the door won't do it but I think it is time we all said "Enough."

This part of the OFT site also makes interesting reading.

They put debt collection into the 'high risk' category requiring greater oversight.

Also, as one previous poster on this thread points out, Financial Investigations and Recoveries (Europe) Ltd (FIRE Ltd) Company No 02958421, does not appear to have a licence if you check the register.

As I understand it, a Ltd company is a separate legal entity and should have all licences etc in its own right. It cannot use another company's licence.

I recently complained to the Info Comm as FIRE's address on their register was Cabot's, not their own so was incorrect. Despite this being a serious offence the reply I got was along the lines that 'they didn't mean to do it and they've now changed the address so all's hunky dory' isn't it.

But now we find that Cabot are passing 'client' details on to an unlicensed company.

OFT debt collection guidance only applies to licensed companies! So are Cabot conducting unlicensed activity that is outside the guidance through a proxy (FIRE)? Conducting unlicensed activity is a criminal offence punishable by imprisonemnt. So why does the OFT not check up on these basic things when assessing licences???!!!

What's worse though is that any money paid to Cabot / FIRE could be at risk. If the company(s) were shut down the debts would almost certainly be sold on. And any money already paid could be ignored by the new debt owner as it was paid under unlicensed terms. They would just say you have to go after the old company to get that back. With no firm guidance from the OFT people who are paying should consider telling Cabot they are ceasing payments until the licence position is sorted or the OFT underwrites them (fat chance).

The OFT have a problem. If they shut down CF (UK) it would effectively shut down CF (Europe). All those jobs and lost tax revenue. That's probably more their concern.

And with the current economic climate I bet they feel that they need every debt collector they can get.

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Can someone possibly clarify where we stand re Cabot and who they are?

If sale shows account being bought by Cabot UK but administered by Cabot Europe, from whom all communications are received and to whom payments are to be made, but POC is issued by Cabot UK, should there have been different NOAs and do they have a legal right to collect?

Everytime I think I have worked it all out, another post throws it all in to confusion again

There is definitely a strong case for questioning the OFT's stance. It took them 2 months to renew licences in the past then sitting on the fence for 9 months or more needs to be explained and the delay is unacceptable to the consumer. There is a legitimate case for the consumer having no confidence in the OFT's procedures and not responding to DCAs until the OFT makes a decision about renewing their licences.

Guest HeftyHippo

good letter pink (post 62) but yo left out the bit about the OFT being unfit and needing to be closed down! :)

everything else is as you, me and everyone ele has said. There seems to be wholescale being and breaking of rules, almost as bad as if there were no rules and licensing - a DCA can submit a licence and continue to trade withuot the application being considered - you only get 14 grace for car tax, after that if the disc hasn't arrived you're expected to have found out why not and to correct the problem, we have debts being sold to one company, and collected by their sister company without any notification or assignment and we have complete anarchy when it comes to harassment of debtors and the refusal to behave in a professional manner

Any company who tried to behave ethically in this industry would simply go bust - undercut by rogues who don't adhere to the law and are dishonest. That would leave the industry populated only by rogue companies, each competing to steal an advantage on competitors and driving down compliance standards as a result. That's exactly the situation that regulation is designed to prevent.

There is definitely a strong case for questioning the OFT's stance. It took them 2 months to renew licences in the past then sitting on the fence for 9 months or more needs to be explained and the delay is unacceptable to the consumer. There is a legitimate case for the consumer having no confidence in the OFT's procedures and not responding to DCAs until the OFT makes a decision about renewing their licences.

Absolutely agree!

Many members are aware that, in the case of Link Financial Limited; their Consumer Credit Licence remained; Open/Pending for quite some considerable time prior to being renewed.

In the meantime, Link Financial carried on in the same old manner, breaching the OFT Guidelines on debt collection.

Eventually, the OFT did in fact impose requirements upon Link but not after having received a vast number of complaints from Consumers!

However, it remains clear that, Link Financial Limited continue to circumnavigate the same Guidelines, often breaching them...

John Fingleton salary is extraordinary and he is paid more that our current PM;

is his excessive salary warranted?

IMHO, NO.

The OFT are not doing their job properly.

So, would it be a fair summation that as Cabot UK are to all intents and puposes unlicenced, the passing of any account to Cabot Financial Europe is unlawful and for example further, involving say, FIRE is further illegal as FIRE have no licence in addition to the deiciency of the origin ie Cabot UK?

Or am I being over simplistic?

So, would it be a fair summation that as Cabot UK are to all intents and puposes unlicenced, the passing of any account to Cabot Financial Europe is unlawful and for example further, involving say, FIRE is further illegal as FIRE have no licence in addition to the deiciency of the origin ie Cabot UK?

Or am I being over simplistic?

I've told F. I. R. E. to F. o.f.f. recently when I found out that they have incorrectly registered their address with the ICO, didn't know at the time they were unlicensed too.:eek:

Hasn't stopped them 'phoning every day though.

As of 03/03/12 please do not under any circumstances wait for my further input or guidance on any current thread or defence of a court claim I might have been involved in on or through Cag.

Jasper1965

The bottom line is, I think, firstly that the OFT don't want to get into a massive legal sh*t fight with a well funded and lawyered opponent. They are probably tying themselves up in knots trying to find ways of justifying a decision to renew the licence. Secondly, if they did close Cabot down they would have to close all DCA's down as the others are doing exactly the same things. Denying Cabot a licence would thus be a "nuclear option" which would cost thousands of jobs and throw the entire consumer credit industry into complete disarray. That's why they are squirming here.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

I hope this is unlawful because they are threating me with everything at the moment. Their reply to my cca request was a load of statements and terms and conditions and according to them it is all they are obliged to send me.