18 yr old son just lost job, no contract.....what rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My 18 year old son has just been told by a colleague that he will be losing his job. This was his first full time job as such but he gave up working shifts at a local cinema for it...

Without going in to the ins and outs, what rights if any does my Son have and when should he expect payment if sacked/made redundant.

He only started the job on the 5th April so I know he isnt entltled to much if anything but it just feels like hes been shafted as he has helped get the store up and running and has gone out of his way to help with various things.

I just want him to go in prepared when he is told officially.

Thanks in advance.

As you have rightly gathered, with less than a year's employment he doesn't have much in the way of employment rights.

I can't agree, mariefab.

I think it is every employer's worry to make sure that all employees are being given contracts, relevant training, workwear etc.

As said by every lawyer in employment, every case in employment would be different and you would have to take an individual look at it. We, future psychologists, would say exactly the same about a person's life story - you can't treat all of them all the same, all the time...

Hi ms smith, hope you're well. I think mariefab was trying to say that UK law has set down legal entitlements, procedures etc, that govern this sort of thing. We may not agree with how it's being done, but this is how it is in disputes within the rules.

Once you're running the world ms s, I'm sure it will be much better. :)

HB x

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi ms smith, hope you're well. I think mariefab was trying to say that UK law has set down legal entitlements, procedures etc, that govern this sort of thing. We may not agree with how it's being done, but this is how it is in disputes within the rules.

Once you're running the world ms s, I'm sure it will be much better. :)

HB x

Hi, yeah I am fine. Deadline for bundle runs out end of next week so I am writing, writing, writing... :)

Have to go through it all again, but hopefully last time...

As for UK law - I think I am overally happy with it (at least I feel more protected than in Poland), if I don't like something, I believe there is a way to put through your arguments and clap it with as many examples as possible. It all should work towards greater good anyway, isn't it?

Guess what? I already wrote, anonymously, a petition to Polish officials, a few years ago, from UK, saying that I will write to ECJ (European Court of Justice) if they will continue with unfair treatment to some passengers of national rail in PL. Guess what? They made some significant changes! But - they cancelled those changes after I published my letter on a public forum and they probably traced it through my nickname and read counter-arguments that internet users were posting... Anyway, I had fun as I was on holiday in PL next day... Imagine :), I am having a cup of coffee at my parents' home, working on a skirt (I sew some clothes myself... :)) and then there's an info in the radio that national rail has cancelled a controversial, brought to life a few years earlier train connection... A few days passed on, they brought it back. Even the journalists were wondering why such sudden big, illogical changes...

I didn't do it, man! :oops:

Of course not telling everything to mummy. She would take me for a lunatic :)

or died instantly...

Sorry for offtopic... :oops:

Edited by ms_smith

Thanks for all the kind words. Im sure the boy will do good. He has a great work ethic and is a genuinely nice kid, polite and all!

Yesterday, he and his father went to look at a flat for sale as he is already thinking ahead and wanting to get his foot on the property ladder. Just glad he hadnt signed any of the paperwork and then found this out!

Turns out his old place of work have been saying they really miss him and would love to have him back, give him additional training and responsibilities, which in turn means more money!

Thanks for all the kind words. Im sure the boy will do good. He has a great work ethic and is a genuinely nice kid, polite and all!

Yesterday, he and his father went to look at a flat for sale as he is already thinking ahead and wanting to get his foot on the property ladder. Just glad he hadnt signed any of the paperwork and then found this out!

Turns out his old place of work have been saying they really miss him and would love to have him back, give him additional training and responsibilities, which in turn means more money!

Sounds like a perfect happy end :).

All the best for him and you too.