Copyright law on Photo's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5127 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

Hoping for some general information. I had a photo of myself and the partner taken in a studio, which we got one copy. They want £400 for a second copy(they can nob right off) so I am just going to scan it and print it myself.

Apparently this is a breach of copyright law? However as far as I am aware, the copyright lies with the subject, not the taker, as it's my Image that's been taken and I have not signed anything to say they have full rights or been paid any kind of image licensing fee.

Correct me if im wrong on this one? Links if possible.

Thanks

did you pay for the copy?

if so game over.

it your property to do what you like but not sell

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Under law, it is the photographer who will own copyright on any photos he/she has taken, with the following exceptions. If the photographer is an employee of the company the photos are taken for, or is an employee of a company instructed to take the photos, the photographer will be acting on behalf of his/her employer, and the company the photographer works for will own the copyright.

If there is an agreement that assigns copyright to another party. In all other cases, the photographer will retain the copyright, if the photographer has been paid for his work, the payment will be for the photographer’s time and an allocated number of prints. The copyright to the photos will remain with the photographer, so any reproduction without permission would be an infringement of copyright.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I'm not sure about copyright but when I was younger I used to do a bit of modelling. I had to sign a release form before the photographer could do anything with the pictures; like put them on his website for advertising, or in his portfolio of work

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Here is some more information for you to go through:

P-16: Photography and copyright

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

But if its my image, surely the rights to it remain with me?

Nope..thats like saying the copyright for famous works of art belongs to the screamer or the girl with flowers or 'david', the photographer would say its his 'art'and talent that created the photograph, the fact you are in it is irellevant, the law in the uk doesnt cover the subject, I can go out now and take pix of people, the copyright is with me.

Although if you scanned n printed the photo for your own personal use |I can't see how they would know about it.

Andy

Hi Andy

As everyone is saying, and the law The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states the the copyright is rest with the creator of the works. This can be assigned but is best to be done in writing. ( in a photographer he who presses the trigger)

If a photographer takes a photograph of let's say the Nike tick, The copyright in the photograph he created rest with him BUT the Nike tick is also a Trade Mark (subject to copyright) and the photographer could not sell the image as Nike would have an action against him for breach of their rights. This applies to many works of art and other obscure items (The London Underground Sign is one).

I will post a link here [url=http://www.salshuel.co.uk][/url]http://www.salshuel.co.uk which clearly explains the full extent of copyright and photography by an expert in copyright law, she acts as an expert witness and used to work for British Association of Picture Libraries and Agencies BAPLA.

Getting to your situation, I think what you are being charged is extortionate. If you did copy the image you would be technically breaking the law! But we all do this when we copy things of the TV, copy music. They would have to find out then bring an action against you. The damages they would receive would be minimal.

Edited by flyingdr