Peugeot 307SW Clutch & Flywheel Problems

reidnet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all.

I cannot beleive how many people have had the same problem. I thought it was just one of those things but clearly not. My flywheel went the cars only 52 plate and 49k. It cost me £1200 :mad: :mad: :o Its a joke, the car is out of warenty and I have contact peugeot to see what they can do.

Anybody got any ideas or help on how I can get this back from peugeot?

Def going to get rid of it and never get a peugeot again, something must be done about this...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi everyone. youve all got me really worried now,lol, i brought a peugeot 307 sw 1.6 hdi,se,90bhp on a 06 plate ,yesterday. is there any thing you would suggest i do so this doesnt happen to mine? its still under manufacturers warrenty. also as the missis was driving to work today a message flashed on the screen sayind 'D pollution system faulty' what does that mean? as i havent got a manuel book yet, its in the post

cheers

p.s have people had any good experiences with this care? i hope so

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, the problem is not just on the 110's its also on the 90's.

Peugeot UK are giving goodwill on OOW (Out Of Warranty) claims as they know there is a problem with them.

Clutches will also be covered if they are found to have been servicable when the damage occured - ie they were not worn out and the only reason the clutch is being replaced is due to damage being caused by the dual mass.

Sensors - Always covered with goodwill if damage was caused by dual mass.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently taken my 307 1.6hdi 110 to a local peugot authorised dealer as there was a noise coming from this area.

I was told that the flywheel is worn and that it will cost £1070 to put right.

The car has only done 40k and i have had it from new.

I have rung peugeot customer care and they stated that the car is out of warranty so they can do nothing, i then asked to speak to a customer care manager and was told that the manager did not want to talk to me ! what fantastic customer service...:mad:

I told them that i was thinking of changing to a newer peugeot model this year but i now have no confidence in the brand and could they perhaps do something tpo persuade me to buy another peugeot.

the answer was no and that they are not aware that there is a problem with the flywheel.

You say that Peugeot UK are giving goodwill on OOW (Out Of Warranty) claims as they know there is a problem with them.

who can i contact to get this sorted out?

I really need to sort this out before it goes bang.

Normally to keep oneself out of trouble, the words 'alleged' is used, there is no need in this case and

the answer was no and that they are not aware that there is a problem with the flywheel.

I can safely say - these are downright lies.

It's time someone with a low mileage Peugeot challenged this attitude in court.

I found this thread when I did a search in Google for 307 clutch failure and I'm suprised how many people have had similar problems.

I have a 307 SW HDi on a 54 plate, it has done 37k miles and guess what the clutch feels like it's about to die.

My wife came home and said the car was juddering when pulling away which I confirmed. She then drove it to the shops and struggled home in 3rd gear as she couldn't get it in 1st or 2nd. When she got home I checked and it I couldn't easily get it any gear. I then went back out a few hours later and it has gone back to the original juddering.

I called Peugoet who quoted £599 - £649 to fit a new clutch, I also called a local independent garage who quoted £417.

I'll be calling the dealer I bought it from tomorrow morning about this, the car is 6 months out of warranty but I haven't got anything to lose.

My plan is to start with the sales guy who sold me this car (and the one before) and make out I'm thinking of trading this one in for a new one, if that fails I'll try the service people, then Peugeot customer service then if all else fails I'll print out this whole thread and highlight how many other Peugeot 306 owners are having the same problems.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Ok so I called Peugeot (local dealer) who suggested I call Peugeot themselves, which I did. They will raise a case with a customer services manager only after a dealer has done a diagnostic check.

I called the dealer who said the diagnostic check was going to cost at least £60 + VAT and if it needs stripping down to diagnose then it will cost a lot more.

All this is very much a gamble but I have booked it in for Monday (9/06/08) so lets see what happens.

I've got a feeling I'm just throwing money down the drain though.

It's all well and good threatening companies with court action but most people do not have the time or the resources to take another individual to court let alone a massive company like Peugeot.

Problem is that a county court judgement is not a binding precedent on other courts.

You dont really need there to be - would be difficult to set a precedent anyway, as each case would have to be taken on its own merits based upon the age and mileage of the car.

Once there is one successful claim, I think you will find that Peugeot's attitude will change rapidly, and it also gives a good basis(although as you rightly say no guaranteed precedent) to be confident in taking your own case to court.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Dear all,

I have also a problem with the clutch...dead after 33000 miles. Peugeot Customer care did not want of course to pay any pennies...If I look in Internet my car (307 SW 1.6 HDI from 2005) is not the only one with the problem. I am french and I am ready to challenge Peugeot in UK, France and Germany. Selling a car with this default and deny that it is not a common fault is not honest. Even if for a law view we cannot do something, I am sure that making "noise" will not arrange Peugeot. Even if Peugeot is big, they should not ignore small customers...

I would like to collect all the bills from UK/France/Germany for the clutch changed in low mileage...perhaps with more people we will have more impact....

Thanks....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I thought I'd update everyone on my outcome. If you read my post above I said I was going to take my 307 for a diagnostic check. I really didn't want to gamble a couple of hundred pounds for them to strip out the gearbox only to be told they wouldn't replace whatever was wrong.

So I took it to a local garage, initally they put the blame on the salve cylinder (btw the fault I had was I couldn't get the car in or out of gear with the engine running, I could start it in gear and the clutch down, I could even pull away). So after they changed the slave cylinder and the clutch they called me to say the fault was still the same and that the gearbox was probably at fault.

I insisted that they strip the gearbox out again and check more thoroughly as it must be something more simple.

Anyway got the final diagnostic, "Dual Mass Flywheel" faulty. And a bill for £865.00. The flywheel is £317 + VAT.

I called Paugeot who didn't care less about it because it was out of warranty and would only agree to consider an out of warranty repair if I had the car put back together with the faulty flywheel inside so a Peugeot dealer could then take it back out again and decide if it's faulty or not.

So the morale is if you have a Pegeout 307 HDi 110BHP then be prepared for a large repair bill at between 30k - 40k miles.

Another quick update, I've finally got my 307 back and it seems to be working fine now.

One thing the garage mentioned was the new "improved" dual mass flywheel is not compatible with the old clutch, so if your car is still in warranty and the flywheel goes you should get a new clutch free of charge regardless of it being a wear and tear part.

I can't verify that this tis rue but the garage has no reason to lie to me as they didn't charge any extra and sent the incorrect clutch back.

Another victim. 307SW HDI 110, 52 plate, 50,400 miles. Stopped to post letter, got back in, could not engage gear. Had car recovered to my local dealer and described symptoms. 'Ah' said the smiling service guy - 'Is it a diesel?' (before he had even looked at the car). So they do know about this. Had to have it fixed (or scrap the car). Bill - £1500 for new flywheel, clutch and labour (plus another £100 for a mirror I had not asked them to fix). Interestingly 'Which' had a story this month about a problem with a fuel injected Kia (even more costly). Owner claimed from the dealer (that is the correct approach I believe) as the car was not of 'Satisfactory Quality' under te Sale of Goods act. He then threatened court action and got most of the cost (£3000) back. In his case Kia (UK) paid for the parts and the dealer paid the rest. I shall take this approach as the car was bought new from the dealer who did the repair.

There are other cars that have suffered with this problem. It is a combination of the Dual Mass Flywheel and diesel's. Typically a diesel will have its torque peak much lower down the rev range, so often the driver normally keeps the revs much lower that a petrol. The DMF does not like this, as an Engineering friend of mine has said that at low revs can cause a resonance, which over time can cause damage. I have a 6 gear diesel with DMF (Ford) but never change into 6th until speeds in excess of 60mph or 2000rpm. The peak torque on mine comes in at 2100rpm so I never drive with the revs below 1800rpm. Contrary to advice and popular belief, this actually reduces MPG as the engine does not encounter excess load when throttling up, due to being in the 'wrong gear' & based on various discussions / threads I have read on other websites, I also believe that driving like this will reduce wear generally and be kinder to the engine.

IMHO if a car manufacturer contributes anything towards a breakdown when out of warranty, it indicates that - in part - they are acknowledging an inherant flaw in their design.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Looks like I'm joining a growing club!

307 HDI 110 - 04 Plate - 42k miles - New flywheel, clutch etc. Quote of £985, please :evil:

I'll phone customer services, although the car doesn't have a Pug dealer service history so I anticipate getting a hard time. Regardless of this fact, the damn flywheel should last the life of the car.

I'm probably luckier than most in as much as I still have about 3 months AA warranty left from when I bought the car, 9 months ago. So hopefully, they'll cover the cost of the flywheel (but I bet they shirk the cost of the clutch) should Peugeot fail to play ball. ;)

Will post the results of my conversation as & when I get them.

Hi,

Like many others I stumbled across this website after suffering some problems with my newly purchased 307 SW. I bought the 53 plate car from a local independent dealer about 4 weeks ago. He noticed that the clutch was squeaking and said it was the flywheel and would replace it. When I came to pick up the car sure enough on the service sheet it said replace dual mass flywheel prior to collection. The problem I have is that there is apparent clutch judder when I reverse or pull away in first gear, this does not happen every time however. My question to other 307 owners is, is this normal? I'm not sure if I should take it back to the garage before the flywheel goes bang and I end up in a situation like some of the other guys on here!

Also can anyone advise me of my rights with regards to returning the car to the garage? I only had an additional 1 months warranty included on the car, do I have the legal right to request a new flywheel etc?

Many thanks for any help or assistance you can give.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just[July 08] had a holiday in Trebetherick, Cornwall in our 307, 1.6 HDi 307 and was climbing one of the banks out of Polzeath when the transmission failed and I lost all power. The AA towed me into a local garage in St Minver and they diagnosed the problem as as broken DM Flywheel. [car is 04 plate with 40K on clock]. They used genuine Peugeot pats to repair - DMF + Clutch+ 2 seals + oil - total bill £1033!! I called into the garage to see how things were progressing and was able to see the broken DMF and driven plate on the garage floor. Driven plate was not worn out - perhaps 50%; DMF had lots of metal buttons fallen out of unit and this seems to allow the 'flywheel proper' to spin freely in its 'holder' - which is normally screwed to the crank shaft. Thus, the engine continues to turn the outer part [which has the starter ring attached and so you can start the car OK] but fails to spin the flywheel with any force and so all drive is lost except for a slight 'try' when you put the car in gear and release the clutch. When it happened, I thought the car front wheel was in mud and spinning.,

I am going to attempt to get Peugeot to contribute to the DMF and labour as this is the first car ever that has failed for me with a faulty clutch after 40+ years at the wheel.

Any advice? What's this I read about a 5 year warranty on the DMF; is this correct?

I have had numerous Peugeots going back to the 405 [good], 406[good], 407 [better], 106 [OK], 1007[dodgy doors] but I find the 307 very economical and good to drive, but I am worried about this bill every 40K miles.

Hi peeps,

Sorry for the delay, been in Afghan for a bit. Phoned European trading standards who said the car was not fit for purpose. Informed the finance company and received a cheque from Peugeot for half the cost. Apparently if I had put the car to a Peugeot dealer I would have paid nothing. Peugeot wanted over £2000 for the repairs. The local garage did the same for about £1000 using Peugeot parts.

European trading standards told me to forget about the warranty and quoted a load of regulations I could use. Give them a try. It worked for me.

Edited by Donn

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

i have 307 03 reg 44 thousand miles on clock

my car was towed away yesterday(flywheel and clutch)

anyway i do not use internet offen, so today i throught i would try and find my parts cheaper than the garage was going to charge me. to my amazment i have come across you all,taken all you post in hand i have call peugeot and was told my car could be repaired where it was towed to and to send them a

invoice

reg number

id number

name and address of garage and they would look into my case,

i asked if this was a comman problem and was told NO there are not many recorded case. i think peugeot should look at this forum and the other one i have been on today.

also told the flywheel is no longer covered with a 5 year warrent. i ask if this was because there was a problem with the cars and was told every now and then a part and its warrent gets re-valued. probly to expensive for them to keep offering free repairs.

not at all happy i should be part ex my car on 1st sep thankfully not for another 307.

the lady i spoke to was happy to help. i feel at the moment i can put her name on web site if any wants it, put your e-mail adress on here i will send you her name (well i will ask my son to ) thanks for all your help this site has got me the answer to some of my question..

kezabell