Peugeot 307SW Clutch & Flywheel Problems

reidnet
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4340 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Just had my 3 yr OLD 307sw se 110Diesel pack up on me at the weekend,

Typical just out of warranty too and 67000 miles on the cloch.

Appears that the Flywheel emploded and Knackered the clutch .. Funny thing is for some reason Peugeot have replaced the Flywheel under warranty :| but not the clutch or Starter motor and engine speed sensors.. Stinks a wee bit when the repair bill comes to £950.00 ouch :-o :-o

Cant understand either why the Starter motor was faulty, until car broke down at the weekend I never once had a problem with the car starting..Possibly the dealer damaged the starter motor (£360.00's worth).

Anyone else had problems with the 307 clutch ??? If so can you kindly let me know if you managed to claim the whole repair off the ******* called Peugeot..

Time to get shot of it too very soon

Ian

Edit due to libelous comments.

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they have replaced the flywheel under warranty when the car is out of warranty? Is there a recall for this fault? And if the flywheel has been the cause of failure to the clutch then it is consequential damage and therefore should be part of the repair surely. They will prob say that the clutch is a wear and tear item therefore not covered but how long would the clutch have lasted if it wasn't for the flywheel? You need to find out what the actual faults of each of the parts replaced were. It could all be consequential damage.

If you've got full main dealer service history then you could go down the route of goodwill first of all. The dealer can contact Peugeot on your behalf. If they are being difficult then contact them yourself, its worth a shot.

I'll look into that a bit more , Thanks Lady H.. I have the full service history of the car, Its a company car but still..Dont want to see my boss being ripped off by Peugeot. The company insist that all work on our cars is carried out by the Main dealers.

But Guess where car is now..Back In Peugeot Garage..something weird happening now..lol

I was sitting at home on Friday night when my neighbour knocked at the door about 10pm and said do you know your car headlights are comming on and off ?.

The car was all locked up, the headlights were on, no tailights or anything else externally on..The instrument panel on the dash was on and the stop warning light was flashing. The remote on the keys would not work either. Had to open the car with the key and that seemed to reset it. Lock the car again using the remote and all seemed fine. for about 20 mins and away it went again.

Even tried leaving the car unlocked to see if this would stop it, Made no difference at all.

This eventually was going on all night long, Headlights would come on for anything up to 40 minutes then go off for 10 mins or so, sometimes just on for a few seconds then off.

Got up Sat morning and guess what..Battery was totally Dead..Had to get the old Jump leads out and let the battery charge a little then got it started. Straight Down to Peugeot main dealer with it. Only one technician works on a Saturday so after sitting around a couple of hours decided to leave the car there till Monday. At least they did give me a lift home..lol

Will have to wait till Monday and see what they find ?

Ian

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

• 3 weeks later...

Its now the 19th September and guess what, Car is still in at Peugeot, they have replaced the computer 3 times now and cannot get the car to start..

I did get the car back on Friday 8th sept, drove it home , went out to go for fuel later at night and it wouldn't start..greeaaatt... so sent them a fax and told them to recover the car on Sat morning as I was going away for the weekend. They did recover the car and leave me a courtesy car..

Just waiting now to see what they are planning to do about this problem..

Hi, yes I have just (got the car back today) had my clutch and flywheel go on Peugeot 307 110bhp diesel car. It is 4 years old and only done 40,000 miles so extremely disappointed.

I had the AA take my car to my local garage who I know very well and they have fitted a new clutch and fly wheel and given me a bill for £1165!! they have given me the old parts back so I can take this up with Peugeot.

They have fitted Peugeot parts (not sure if thats a good or bad thing) I don't know how successful I will be but I will take them alll the way to court over this. I am willing to pay labour as it wasnt done at a Peugeot dealer but want money back for at least the flywheel.

Poor manufacturing of the flywheel with material not much better than cheese! which has ground into the clutch and at 40,000 miles i dont expect this.

I did a search on the net and there are plenty of other people out there who have had the same problems.

Wont ever buy Peugeot again

Got my car back from Peugeot last night, they gave me it back and said run it for a week or so and see how it goes...Sounds like they aint confident that the problem has been fixed.

Already found 4 minor electrical problems with it...:eek: CD changer dosn't work at all, one of the rear windows has a mind of its own when you operate it, passangers mirror doesnt always come out when starting car, display panel has a dark section on the display. Just wonder whats going to go next.

Sorry but have to admit has put me right of Peugeot.

I work for my local doctors service and we use a fleet of 9 307 1.6 hdi SW's. Off the top of my head one car caught fire, two gearboxes have fallen out, 6 turbos, 4 clutchces, 7 wheel bearings, 3 CV joints and 1 drivers seat have needed replacing. All the cars have suffered electrical problems and all cars are under two years old.

• 3 weeks later...

hi

flywheel broke up on my 307 hdi, got it repaired at a non-peugeot garage - £1200, peugeot will not pay a bean as it was out of warranty and done outside their dealership, had it been taken to a peugeot dealer they may have contributed out of good will! solid mass flywheels are unreliable and fitted to most newer diesels, my mechanic has had 2 in this week, peugeot and a nissan. i intend to take it fyrther, part not fot for purpose, broke apart after 45k, peugeot have sent me a letter giving £500 off a new peugeot, truoblemis i have to spend £12,000 to use it, get lost!

matt d.

I had a 307 hdi, it was Friday car was out a doubt I only had it 3 months before I sold it. When selling it back to Pug the chap after trying to get me to buy a 406c then giving up said all 307 are Friday cars.

I had mine from New (Ex Demo) and it was without a problem until I hit the 67000 mark after 3yrs.. Then Clutch went..lol Now the Electrics are playing silly buggers..

Till then never had a bit of bother with it..

the problem with these cars is they are full of mind boggingly clever electronics- trust me- but the guys who work on them are fully trained mechanics not computer experts- mention multiplex on a peugeot citroen or a mercedes and they would run a mile -eg air bag light comes on on a 407, what would you check? airbags and sensors obviosly! no try rain sensor- its on the same the same circuit and the computer is told to inform the driver of the fault by the only way it can -the airbag light!

bring back plugs points and a rotor arm!

Yeah the fancy electronic gadgets are good..When they Bloody work properly..

well at least I got some fun out of the last time it was in garage..they had to come and recover the car from my driveway the morning after I got it back, they had no courtesey car available so they left me a brand new 307 with about 60 miles on the clock..I had it a week and when I took it back the manager said I hope you hav.nt run up 1000 miles on the new car...Nope Ive done 2500 :D :D miles..he thought I was joking until he saw the speedo.:o :o .lol

Which reminds me I suppose Id better get it back in to get the rest of it sorted out this week or next..

The message from Matt D. sounds very familiar. I did exactly the same and contacted Pug they told me to get lost, so phoned up my local dealer pretending that i had just broken down and they all but admitted that they would replace the part even though my car was out of warranty!

I have researched on the net and they are replacing these things out of warranty, I cant see how they can do this for some and not others. I have told Pug i am taking this to claims court and have contacted watchdog in the hope they'll take on the case, maybe I can ask all you through this forum to do the same so we can expose this problem and many others with these appauling cars, and maybe get money back?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just had my fly wheel go - car 3 weeks out of warranty. also caused clutch and sensor failure

Local ( london ) main dealers did not want to know , even said they didnt have a courtesy car for 2-3 weeks. I tried all my london and hertforshire main dealers, none of whom told me that thre was an issue with the 307 gear box fly wheel , or that they had to give you a car under the Pug mobilty program if your car was off road for over a certain length of time

Called the dealer in Kent where I bought the car, could not have been more helpful. Dealt with Peugeot on my behalf, gave me a car etc. No problems what so ever. Perhaps you have to take it back to where you spent the money to get a decent level of service ?

Lesson learned ? don't ever deal with big multi site dealers. The after sales service is appalling

There have been many complaints about the Clutch and Flywheel problems.

The earlier ones were recalled to fix the problem. Clutch judder can develop on 2001/2002 diesels, caused by wear in internal damper of dual mass flywheel. Needs replacing with modified unit to solve the problem.

Make sure the service history states that this has been carried out. It's £1000 to £1200 to repair if it all goes wrong.

Uk....

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

• 3 months later...
The message from Matt D. sounds very familiar. I did exactly the same and contacted Pug they told me to get lost, so phoned up my local dealer pretending that i had just broken down and they all but admitted that they would replace the part even though my car was out of warranty!

I have researched on the net and they are replacing these things out of warranty, I cant see how they can do this for some and not others. I have told Pug i am taking this to claims court and have contacted watchdog in the hope they'll take on the case, maybe I can ask all you through this forum to do the same so we can expose this problem and many others with these appauling cars, and maybe get money back?

Just read your report. Our Peugeot 307hdi now in private garage with same problem. Looks like part of the flywheel assembly disintegrated. Garage staff cannot believe the failure of this at 36,000 miles. Supplier of peugeot parts not shocked had plenty in stock! Did you get any response from small claims court or Watchdog as I suspect I will be going down that path if Peugeot's attitude to other peugeot problems is anything to go by!

• 2 weeks later...

My 52 Reg 307 HDI flywheel failed recently, at 40, 000 miles, jamming the starter with metal bits. The Peugeot dealer that I bought the car from said that they were offering a 4 year extended warrantee on the Clutch/Flywheel, but refused to fix my car as it was 1 month out. I have done the job myself and can tell you that the spring/damper units between the 2 flywheel sections break up, causing complete drive failure. The clutch itself was in perfect condition.

This should be a recall as it could very well fail when pulling out into the path of oncoming trafic. VW have had similar problems with twin mass flywheels and have changed them via a recall.

• 5 weeks later...

Just experienced the same problem with the mass flywheel, however my car is now almost 5 years old and done 120 k miles. incredibly surprised that it just failed losing the whole drive. Not much fun in the out side lane of a motorway across a junction.

Talking to the friends who repaired my car (they own a small independent garage) this is a common problem for quite a lot of modern diesels, so for once it is not just Peugeot.

I note there are a number of other issues surrounding these cars, and i shall have a root around the website to see if anyone else has experienced them such as a faulty particulate trap system, electrics momanterily cutting out and then coming back on and the quality of Peugeot dealers in general. find a decent independent, avoid the main dealer like the plague. I do not believe they actually know what they are doing, and certainly do not want to help you or I.

• 3 weeks later...

hello guys

just reading your thread. i have a quick question, does anyone know if this is a common problem with all peugeots, as the flywhell sensor on my 206cc has just gone, and i would like to get a rough idea of how much its gonna cost and if anyone knows if it is common on the 206cc as well

cheers

Hi everyone

I was searching the web about flywheel problems etc & found you lot! Cant believe how many people are having the same problem!!!

I have a 4 year old Peugeot 307 D turbo HDI 110 with only 50K on the clock & on friday it broke down. No warning, no strange noises, nothing. After waiting 1 1/2 hours, the RAC towed me to the Peugeot garage... flywheel disintergrated & damaged the clutch. £1084 ive been quoted.. :-x. Having only just had it serviced and MOT'd was not a happy bunny.

Thing is - I have no choice but to have it fixed as im a single mum now & need a realiable (ha!) car. Im def selling it now - well when i eventually get it back from the garage!!!!

I see a lot of people are taking it up with Peugeot.. whats the best course of action for me as im seriously p****d off.

Thanks

B

yes I had a problem with a flywheel on my 4 year old 307. Initially took it to a private garage and later had the car transferred to a Peugeot garage when the problem was identified as only a Peugeot dealer can rectify the problem FOC. The flywheel has a 5 year guarantee don't let them fob you off. The clutch has a 3 year guarantee in line with the warranty. I had the flywheel changed FOC but paid to have the clutch renewed while the engine was dismantled. I just paid for a new clutch at a discounted price. The original garage quoted £1000. I don't have the receipts now as I have since sold the car and replaced it with yes another new 307. I had no other problems and I do like the car.

yes I had a problem with a flywheel on my 4 year old 307. Initially took it to a private garage and later had the car transferred to a Peugeot garage when the problem was identified as only a Peugeot dealer can rectify the problem FOC. The flywheel has a 5 year guarantee don't let them fob you off. The clutch has a 3 year guarantee in line with the warranty. I had the flywheel changed FOC but paid to have the clutch renewed while the engine was dismantled. I just paid for a new clutch at a discounted price. The original garage quoted £1000. I don't have the receipts now as I have since sold the car and replaced it with yes another new 307. I had no other problems and I do like the car. The bill was a couple of hundred punds at the most for the clutch. You have been grossly overcharged.