• Tweets

• Hi all, Love this site and it's no nonsense advice, have dipped in and out of the consumer forums over the years, mostly to assure myself that what I was doing was the right thing when dealing with various businesses (almost 100% success rate, thanks in part to reading and more reading here.). Anyway, the time is almost approaching where I might need to ask for some specific help and I have a couple of queries that I can't see definitively answered. Due to financial mismanagement and severe anxiety issues I stopped paying all unsecured debt in December 2018 (one slipped to the first week in Jan 2019 when the last payment was made having rechecked my bank statement from that period - all my unsecured debt direct debits were cancelled in early Jan 2019). This has left half a dozen debts;  a couple of credit cards, a bank loan, Shop Direct and some Hitachi Finance stuff having been sold on and passing the rounds through the usual suspects, Lowells, Link, PRA Group, others related to them, and then back to them again. I have somehow successfully managed to maintain radio silence and avoided anything more worrying than their begging letters.  I have blocked their phone calls and texts, bumped all emails to the spambox and had a chuckle at their desperate letters.  I've never had anybody at the door.  I have been at the same address since before I defaulted and all correspondence comes to my current home address.  I have NEVER contacted them or admitted any debt. In anticipation of them perhaps ramping up action at the last minute I've had a look at my credit report on Credit Karma (rec'd from this very place) and I see that the default dates on these range from May 2019 to November 2019. Also in preperation I've been reading, reading and reading lots here as advised. Obviously being in Scotland there are a lot fewer posts relating to these matters and it's always quite annoying when OP's do not follow up with any outcome on their cases - how rude! This has also left me a bit confused of when I am able to finally breathe easy (although cancelling all the direct debits in Jan 2019 was the biggest sigh of relief as I knew it was all going to be unmanageable and, well, default one, default all.). I've been reading that defaults should be filed 3-6 months after the missed payment but one of my larger debts was defaulted on 27th August 2019 when the last payment I made was 10th December 2018, meaning the first missed payment was 10th Jan 2019.   My query for now is - when should I infer that these debts are prescribed?  From when the payment was missed, or taking the default date plus 5 years from the credit report? The three I have with the May date are moot anyway as either way they are gone  - some letters from Lowell offering me 90% off to settle is what got me thinking these must have been near SB status, however I have one big 10k+ with a July date and another 10k+ at the end of August I am feeling a bit anxious again, even though I know there is nothing to worry about with the begging letters.  Reading the various forums I am not sure why the OC's didn't take action against me when I read time and again the surprise that other posters haven't already been taken to court for lesser amounts - I'm also surprised I've avoided any action this long as there are plenty in this forum and sub forum who are whisked off to the court by the beggers minions after only a year or so after defaulting.  There are no CCJ/decrees listed on my credit report and I have not received any such judgements against me.  I still just regularly receive the begging emails to the spambox, the blocked phone calls and the letters from the they. I'm also reading that there is no need in Scotland to send an LBC so what should I be looking out for to know that the time has come to engage with CCA requests etc? I'm afraid in a fit I threw a lot of the paperwork out but I have a box of stuff I'm going to go through which may have the original letters from the OC's. Thanks in advance for any advice.  
    • I'm at work now but promise to look in later. Can you confirm how you paid the first invoice?  It wasn't your fault if the signal was so poor and there was no alternative way to pay.  There must be a chance of reversing the charge with your bank.  There are no guarantees but Kev  https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/09766749/officers  has never had the backbone to do court so far.  Not even in one case,  
    • OK  so you may not have outed yourself if you said "we". No matter either way you paid. Snotty letter I am surprised that they were so quick off the mark threatening Court. They usually take months to go that far. No doubt that as you paid the first one they decided to strike quickly and scare you into paying. Dear Chuckleheads  aka Alliance,  I am replying to your LOCs You may have caught me the first time but that is  the end. What a nasty organisation you are. You do realise that you now have now no reason to continue to pursue me after reading my appeal since you know that my car was not cloned. Any further pursuit will end up with a complaint to the ICO that you are breaching my GDPR.  Please confirm that you have removed my details from your records. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I haven't gone for a snotty letter this time as they know that you paid for your car in another car park. So using a shot across their bows .  If it doesn't deter them and they send in the debt collectors or the Court you will then be able to get more money back from them for  breachi.ng your data protection than they will get should they win in Court-and they have no chance of that as you have paid. So go in with guns blazing and they might see sense.  Although never underestimate how stupid they are. Or greedy.
    • Thank you. Such a good point. They did issue all 3 before I paid though. I only paid one because I didn’t have proof of parking that time, only for two others.    Unfortunately no proof of my appeal as it was just submitted through a form on their website and no copy was sent to me. I only have the reply. I believe I just put something like “we made the honest mistake of using the incorrect parking area on the app” and that’s it. Thanks again for your help. 
    • They are absolute chuckleheads. You paid but because you entered a different car park site also belonging to them they are pursuing you despite them knowing what you had done. It would be very obvious to everyone, including Alliance that your car could not have been in two places at the same time. Thank you for posting the PCN so quickly making it a pity that you appealed since there are so many things wrong with it that you as keeper are not liable to pay the charge. They rarely accept appeals since that would mean they lose money but they have virtually no chance of beating you in Court. Very unlikely that they will take you to Court given the circumstances. Just in case you didn't out yourself as the driver could you please post up your appeal.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help Cout date and CCJ with charging order!!!

Worsteve
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry, I'd forgotten everything in your thread, so I agree it can probably be considered terminated!!!

I will try and find the information that I have been given on DNs and court and will post ater today if no one else has posted.

Many Thanks cymruambyth:)

I have just donated to the site again! If you could look at my defence above, and also my N1 form with the POC (in Particular) as the claims are very vague, I would be eternally grateful for your help and direction on those points. I would like to submit my defence early if possible. I only have the issues of the faulty DN, and I would like more ammunition if possible. I have read other threads, and if I could get it struck out of court at the earliest time, then that would be great..........don't know how to word that though.....or if I can go for it either....

Thanks again good person!! I donate every chance I get!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/224300-mandm-egg-loan-mandm-7.html#post2490262

Ladies and Gentlemen

I have read this thread by mandm but only today has a lot more sank in. After reading the post by 42man.........is it possible I could also go for a Strike out pursuant to CPR 3.4(2)(a)???????

I have 2 points of issue with the dates and missing prescribed text, not even going into the POC. Can I use this course of action and when I submit my defence ask both the court and the Claimant for a strikeout?

That would be nice:p. As my CCJ has been overturned, and this has been done before, I am back to square one where the Claimant is asking for the full amount in court.....on the back of a faulty DN.

Holy H3ll I am seeing a way forward here!!! Any comments on this are greatly appreciated.:D

Many Many thanks!!!!!!!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you cant go for the strike out after the set aside you have to answer the claim.

your argument is that the claimant has no right to bring this claim before the court.

your reasons are that before a creditor has any right to bring a claim before the court they have to issue a valid default notice.

as they have not issued a valid DN then then they have no right to be brining this claim before the court

if you can show that the DN is faulty then they have no rights brining this claim and the judge will have to throw it out.

wp3

if you can show that the DN is faulty then they have no rights brining this claim and the judge(hopefully:)) have to throw it out.

Where will that leave me then? They took this to court with a CCJ already in place and had an Interim Charging order and Land Registry in place, and the hearing was a joint 'Set aside and Charging Order Application'. The claimant didn't even go for the Charging Order.....they just admitted defeat and agreed to set aside the CCJ. So, it has already gone before the court once.....and that means they have effectively terminated the agreement (under what CPR or part of CCA can I find that)? So I can already proove the DN is faulty, as I have the signed originals.....therefore......in respect to your comments above, if the judge throws this out....does that mean I am still liable for all the debt...or will they only be able to claim for the arrears....or is it all unenforceable?

Thanks everyone for all your help and patience with me:oops:

by brining the claim it means that they have terminated the agreement.

reason i say this is that they have withdrawn your right to continue to make monthly payments.

so going to court and demanding you pay all the money owing can only mean one thing, that they have withdrawn your rights (to make monthly payments) and so the agreement is over.

once you get the judge to throw this out then there is no agreement.so you are left to pay only the arrears.

if you prove your case they you would be liable for the arrears only at the time they unlawfully terminated the agreement- assuming of course that the agreement was ever legally enforceable

did you do a s78 request? SAR?

how much was the debt? and how much have you paid already through the court?

i would think- subject to this info it may well be prudent to write to the other side in terms of a settlement one way or the other before proceedings

here is a defense i am working on.

IT IS BY NO WAY FINISHED BUT IT MAY HELP

read it and understand every bit of it, if your going to use any of it or the judge will be asking you questions that you cant answer and that wont look good.

you will need to add to it and take some of it out but hopefully it is a start.

IN THE XXXXXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No: XXXXXX

BETWEEN:

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXX

Claimant

And

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXX

Defendant

Defence

• I XXXXX XXXX XXX of xxxxxxxx xxxxx am the defendant in this case and a litigant in person and I make this statement in support of my application for the suspended possession order made on xx may xxxx bye district judge xxxxxx xxxx be Set Aside.
  • I make this statement from information and facts within my own knowledge, except where I have indicated otherwise, and which I believe to be true. Where any matters contained in this witness statement are not within my own knowledge, I have stated the source of my information.

3. This is a Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

The requirement for a valid Default Notice to lawfully Terminate an Account whilst in default

It is a condition precedent to the issue of Proceedings in respect of a Regulated agreement that certain steps

Prior to the issue of Proceedings must be taken. Specifically one of the steps is the issuing of a valid default notice

1. Section 87. Need for Default Notice

(1) Service of a notice on the Debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "Default Notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the Debtor or hirer of a regulated Agreement -

(a) to terminate the Agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

© to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the Debtor or hirer by the Agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) To enforce any security.

2. Under the Interpretation Act 1978 Section 7, it states:

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1). Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2). To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected: -

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday

3). Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second-class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second-class mail was used.

4). This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985*

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

3. Further to point 2 above, CPR rules on service also state the required timescales to be given for serving of documents: -

Under CPR 6.26 First class post (or other service which provides for delivery on the next business day) is deemed to be “served” The second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day.

4. The Default notice supplied by the Claimant is dated (Wednesday) 22 august 2007, to allow service in line with the statutory requirements mentioned in points 2 & 3 above, 4 working days were required to allow for 2nd Class postage. Thus the Rectify date should be 14 calendar days from (Tuesday) 28th august, and rectify bye (Friday) 11 September 2007, not the 14 calendar days from the date of the letter as stated in the Default notice, which would mean rectify bye (Wednesday) 05th September. Leaving me 6 days short of the statutory 14 days. Even were the notice to have been sent 1st class post which is denied, the rectify date would still have been 12 days and not the 14 required.

5. I therefore put the Claimant to strict proof that any Default Notice sent to me was valid and allowed the statutory 14 clear days to rectify the breach. I also note that to be valid, a Default Notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

The default Notice did not contain important and prescribed text advising the defendant where to get advice; the following text was not in the notice.

If you are not sure what to do, you should get help as soon as possible. For example you should contact a solicitor, your local trading standards department or you’re nearest citizens' advice bureau

As the above-prescribed paragraph was completely left out of the default notice but the other prescribed parts that are required are all there. Leads me to believe that this was a deliberate attempt to deprive me of a source of much needed help

6. The failure of a Default Notice to be accurate not only invalidates the Default Notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119.

7. It is submitted that the above Default Notice served s87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 failed to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561).

8. For a Creditor to be entitled to legally terminate a regulated Credit Agreement where there is a breach, demand repayment in full or take any legal action to recover any monies due under the Agreement, a creditor must serve a valid Default Notice under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

9. The Act also sets out via Section 88(1), that the Default Notice must be in the prescribed form,

Section 88. Contents and effect of Default Notice

(1) The Default Notice must be in the prescribed form…

10. The word must makes it clear that no variation is acceptable. Therefore it cannot be dispensed with as a De Minimus issue.

11. I note that the regulations do not allow any variation in the form of these statements and therefore it is suggested that where the statements are not as laid down in the regulations the Default Notice is rendered invalid as a consequence.

12. In the case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 in the Court of Appeal, the Court addressed in some detail the issue of the contents of a Default Notice and should the notice fail to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) it would render the Default Notice invalid I quote the comment of KENNEDY LJ: "This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals" the judgment appears to confirm the consumer credit legislation made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as plainly enacted and set out to offer protection to the consumer.

Therefore it is suggested that the failure of the Claimant to set out the Default Notice in accordance with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) could unduly prejudice me as it failed to allow the required time to remedy the alleged default. And also deprived me of vital information on were to get help and advice, witch if supplied at the time would have made a significant difference to the to the position I now find myself in.

13. The Claimant’s failure to issue a valid Default Notice must surely prevent a right of action and would make the subsequent termination of the Agreement unlawful, as statute provides the procedure that must be followed. Since the Claimant has failed to adhere to statutory procedure it is averred that the Claimant does not have a right of action, and can never now have a right of action having terminated the Agreement unlawfully.

15. This is at all times an Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. There is no provision in the Act that allows the creditor to terminate an Agreement that is in alleged default or breach simply by giving notice to the Consumer. Section 98(6) makes that quite clear. The Creditor must follow the steps outlined in Section 87 and Section 88 if they are to lawfully Default and Terminate, and enjoy the benefits of Section 88.

16. An invalid Default Notice cannot be remedied by simply issuing a new Default Notice. Since the claimant issued court proceedings claiming possession of the defendants property, and denying the defendant his rights under the agreement (the right to pay monthly) The Claimant has shown that he regards this agreement as terminated.

I do not dispute that the claimant has ended the agreement, the fact of the matter is that the claimant has prematurely ended the agreement without first issuing a valid default notice and by doing so has given up his rights to make a claim under section 87 of the consumer credit act 1974

Having unlawfully terminated the agreement, the claimant cannot now, or ever issue a valid of effective Default Notice since to do so would involve the fiction of an enduring agreement. Terminating an Agreement on the back of a defective Default Notice, simply confirms the undeniable truth that Termination of the agreement by the Claimant was carried out in circumstances which then prohibited them from enjoying the benefits of Section 87.

wp3

Edited by welshperson3

Worsteve have you sent in your defence yet ?

Not sent my defence yet. I have drafted a very untidy copy of it so far. It is on post 50 of this thread. I am still working on it. My DN is out by 1 day (if they used 2nd class post) but it also has prescribed text missing as well. I am hoping that one of the super Caggers will take a look at it as well as see if I have a cause for complaint about the Particulars of Claim.

Sorry to have been away from my desk for so long.....needed food :D

Well then, as stressful and time consuming as this has been so far, it is very well worth the effort. I have £100,000 in unsecured debts, 3 loans and cards with unenforceable Credit Agreements and others with Dodgy DN's........If I can get rid of that little lot, I will be a happy man. This is my first attempt at court, and at over £25k it is a big start if I win.

If you don't mind Welshperson3, I will be taking a long hard look at your defence and your wording, and then applying it to my own case.

Thanks again to one and all. I will post my efforts tomorrow.:D

if your defense is only related to the faulty DN then all your argument is that they have no rights in court,

basic plan of attack for court.

1 show that DN is invalid (prove why its invalid)

2 show why without VALID DN claimant has no right bringing claim

3 ask judge to throw it out

4 judge throws out claim

5 ask for your costs

6 go home and get drunk :D

wp3

if your defense is only related to the faulty DN then all your argument is that they have no rights in court,

basic plan of attack for court.

1 show that DN is invalid (prove why its invalid)

2 show why without VALID DN claimant has no right bringing claim

3 ask judge to throw it out

4 judge throws out claim

5 ask for your costs

6 go home and get drunk :D

wp3

If only life was that simple!

It's one day short. A court assumes that a DN is posted second class and takes four working days to be served unless the creditor can prove it was sent 1st class.

You could not have received it before the following Tues 13th. Then you have a statutary 14 days to remedy = 27th

Is it not 2 days short as the DN states before the 26, does that not mean Sunday the 25?

Can someone else with more knowledge confirm this.

No, Worst is right about the dates because the weekend of the 25th and 26th of August don't count as postage time as outlined in the Queen's Bench rules he has put in his POC. So the earliest date of service if posted 2nd class was 28 August and 14 days thereafter is 11 September.

Defaultnotice005mod.jpgDefaultnotice006mod.jpg

Hi Pinky

I think you might be confusing welshpersons3 POC (as an example for worsteve to use). Or maybe it's me thats confused :???:.

I'm refering to worsts DN as above.

Before the date shown.

Edited by enslaved
typo

can i just clarify something

you are referring to DN's in August 2009 where did that come from? you mentioned a DN from January 2009- was this anearlier DN for the same account?

did they take you to court earlier in 2009 after the first DN and get a judgement on the debt?

is this the same debt -was a second DN issued in august 2009?

Edited by diddydicky

Hi Pinky

I think you might be confusing welshpersons3 POC (as an example for worsteve to use). Or maybe it's me thats confused :???:.

I'm refering to worsts DN as above.

Before the date shown.

sorry for any confusion i left the date in so he could see how to word it

wp3

This is the DN defence that I have had a lot of help with

The Need for a Default notice

21. Section 87(1) of the CCA 1974 says:

87.--(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a default notice) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement,--

(a) to terminate the agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum....

Section 88 says that the Default Notice must be in the prescribed form and the associated regulations say what that form is.

Thus, if the DN is not in the prescribed form, it is invalid and, under s87, the lender has no right of action.

CPR3.4(2)(a) says that the court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court –

(a) that the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing ... the claim

The requirement for a valid Default Notice to lawfully Terminate an Account whilst in default

21. Notwithstanding the matters pleaded above, the Claimant must under Section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 serve a valid Default Notice before they can demand early payment of sums not yet due under a Regulated Credit Agreement.

22. Under the Interpretation Act 1978 Section 7, it states:

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1). Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2). To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3). Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4). This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

23. Further to point 22 above, CPR rules on service also state the required timescales to be given for serving of documents:-

Under CPR 6.26 First class post (or other service which provides for delivery on the next business day) is deemed to be “served” The second day after it was posted, left with, delivered to or collected by the relevant service provider provided that day is a business day.

24. The Default notice supplied by the Claimant is dated Thursday 10th April 2003, to allow service in line with the statutory requirements mentioned in points 2 & 3 above, 2 working days were required to allow for 1st Class postage. Thus the Rectify date should be 7 calendar days from Monday 14th April, namely Monday 21st April 2003, not the 7 calendar days from the date of the letter as stated in the Default Notice which would have been 17th April.

25. I therefore put the Claimant to strict proof that any Default Notice sent to me was valid and allowed the statutory 7 clear days to rectify the breach. I also note that to be valid, a Default Notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237).

26. The failure of a Default Notice to be accurate not only invalidates the Default Notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is an unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the Court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119.

27. It is submitted that the above Default Notice served s87(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 failed to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561).

28. For a Creditor to be entitled to terminate a regulated Credit Agreement where there is a breach, demand repayment in full or take any legal action to recover any monies due under the Agreement, a creditor must serve a Default Notice under section 87(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which states:

Section 87. Need for Default Notice

(1) Service of a notice on the Debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "Default Notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the Debtor or hirer of a regulated Agreement -

(a) to terminate the Agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

© to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the Debtor or hirer by the Agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

29. The Act also sets out via Section 88(1), that the Default Notice must be in the prescribed form, as below:

Section 88. Contents and effect of Default Notice

(1) The Default Notice must be in the prescribed form…

30. The wording must make it clear that no variation is acceptable. Therefore it cannot be dispensed with as a De Minimus issue.

31. I note that the regulations do not allow any variation in the form of these statements and therefore it is suggested that where the statements are not as laid down in the regulations the Default Notice is rendered invalid as a consequence.

32. In the case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 in the Court of Appeal, the Court addressed in some detail the issue of the contents of a Default Notice and should the notice fail to comply with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) it would render the Default Notice invalid I quote the comment of KENNEDY LJ: "This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals" the judgment appears to confirm the consumer credit legislation made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as plainly enacted and set out to offer protection to the consumer. Therefore it is suggested that the failure of the Claimant to set out the Default Notice in accordance with the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) could unduly prejudice me as it failed to allow the required time to remedy the alleged default.

33. The Claimant’s failure to issue a valid Default Notice must surely prevent a right of action and would make any termination of the Agreement unlawful, as statute provides the procedure that must be followed. Since the Claimant has failed to adhere to statutory procedure it is averred that the Claimant does not have a right of action, and can never now have a right of action having terminated the Agreement unlawfully.

34. Furthermore, the Arrears Total outlined cannot be accurate, as the Balance on the Account was at least partly comprised of Unlawful Charges plus additional Charges and Interest added unlawfully whilst the Account was in Dispute. Therefore, the Arrears claimed cannot be accurate, as they are themselves calculated using a Total that was itself inaccurate.

35. This is at all times an Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974. There is no provision in the Act that allows a large financial institution to terminate an Agreement that is in alleged default or breach simply by giving notice to the Consumer. Section 98(6) makes that quite clear. The Creditor must follow the steps outlined in Section 87 and Section 88 if they are to lawfully Default and Terminate, and enjoy the benefits of Section 87.

36. Finally, an invalid Default Notice cannot be remedied by simply issuing a new Default Notice. The Claimant may not serve a second effective default notice in prescribed form post-termination of the agreement. Any such second default notice will necessarily state a date by when I would be required to comply after which in default the agreement would terminate. The second default notice would therefore contain the fiction that the agreement endured when that cannot be the case, as it was terminated. Terminating an Agreement on the back of a defective Default Notice, simply confirms the undeniable truth that Termination of the agreement by the Claimant was carried out in circumstances which then prohibited them from enjoying the benefits of Section 87, namely the opportunity to seek early Payment of a sum that was, prior to Termination, only payable in the future.)

Hi cymruambyth...and everyone here

I am drafting my DN defence and will post it later. As each case is a little different I will put in my wording for the dates (assuming 2nd class posting) and the missing prescribed text. I am still not sure whether to put in my point on the POC........it is vague what they are asking for at best. The judge took his glasses off and markedly pointed out...."....that I will only consider your defence if it is backed up with previous case law and judgement....." My best chance of that is to go with the DN....

To clarify the dates on my DN;

Date signed (and assuming postal date) Wednesday 7th Jan 2009. ((Section 2(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting)). Therefore classed as served on Tuesday 13th jan 2009. 14 Clear days after that is 27th....Not 26th as is stated on my DN's (2 DN's as it is a joint Loan with my wife). I understand that they may be able to proove that they posted it 1st class, however, the reason the claimant agreed to set-aside, was because they couldn't find any paperwork pertaining my case......I had to give them a copy of the DN....which is an original signed copy!

Just to clarify for me, under 21. Section 87(1) of the CCA 1974 " (33) The Claimant’s failure to issue a valid Default Notice must surely prevent a right of action and would make any termination of the Agreement unlawful...." is that what I must cite to the DJ to outline that the agreement has been Terminated.

I hope this helps.:rolleyes:

Edited by Worsteve