Child Tax Credit Overpayments

sues35
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was overpaid £7000 in 2002-2003 so the TCO said, I have been though numerous appeals, been though the Adjudicator, and even took it as far as the local MP and Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, even though when it got to the Adjudicator stage the TCO decided that they were wrong about £2000!!!!! I've still got to pay the £5000 and the TCO have admitted in Black/white that they were wrong and human error meant they typed in the wrong amount, so because of my human error at not noticing the mistake (did anyone understand the award notices when they first came out? don't think the TCO workers understood them either) I've got to pay back £5000, does anyone know anyone thats gone to prison because of not paying back TC??? will watch this space, cause I'll fight it though court if thats what it takes!! So anyone who general believes they shouldn't pay back there overpayment, keep fighting, don't let them away with it GOOD LUCK

BOS 1st Account - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Settled in full 15/3/07

BOS 2nd Account - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Settled in full 15/3/07

BOS 3rd Account - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Settled in full 15/3/07

BOS 4th Account - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Settled in full 15/3/07

BOS 5th Account - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Settled in full 15/3/07

Nationwide - Prelim sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 18/1/07 Court Date 17/7/07 WAITING FOR TEST CASE

LX Direct - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 8/1/07 LBA sent 9/7/07 Got 50% off total - settled and closed account 10/9/08

Studio cards - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 8/1/07Credited to my account, account cleared! 4/6/07

I have overpayments from 2007/08 and now they stopped this years because I didn't return the earnings details in time. But I read the BBC report in the first post on this forum and saw this

If the income was greater, but by £25,000 or less, the HMRC will not claim back any tax credits in that tax year.

Is this an official rule? Are they claiming back money when they shouldn't be? Or is this just for Working Tax Credits?

Sorry for so many questions :oops:

Advice offered by Aretino is without predjudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it.

You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt

i have a tax credit bill of £356 from 2003/4 i live in a foreign country i got my last letter form hmc 2 years ago is it safe to get a boat to england or will i be pulled by customs and if i am can i pay it there and then and still enter england

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that - but what i'm actually trying to find info on is the article that apparently appeared in the Daily Mail earlier this year which quoted a reference for a form to enable working parents who had children born between certain years to reclaim anything up to £1500 from the the Inland Revenue. it wasnt widely publicised (suprise suprise ) and I had difficulty downloading the form at the time

I think the deadline was actually 31st jan or feb this year but there would be no harm in trying to get one in now IF i can find the form ar quote the details they want- even if I know who to addreess enquiry to (would it be the local tax office) Anyone done this successfully - ? friend of mine with one child had £600 back the other day !

The reclaiming of credits for past years had to be submitted by 31st January, I think.

For people with tax credit overpayments, please google search "Tax Credit Casualties" and you will find the website you need, with free advice, guidance and templates.

• 2 weeks later...

hi not sure who to talk to about the sticky mess i am in to do with fraud can anyone help.

it is a long winded story and i will explain all to whoever can give me advice on it.

Yes. You have 30 days from the date of the notice to make your appeal in writing. After that the notice is normally final and cannot be changed.

Can the time limit be extended?

Yes, but only if you can satisfy us that there were special reasons for the delay, and that you will raise the matter as soon as possible.

If we are not satisfied with your explanation then a legally qualified panel member at the Appeals Service will consider your application. They will look at your reasons for appealing late and decide whether to accept your appeal. Their decision is final.

We will not accept any appeal more than 13 months after the date on your notice under any circumstances.

Website is www.hmrc/gov/uk

Go into the site and click tax credits. I found his on the leaflets link. You could also look at a COP 26 which is a booklet explainin what hapens when tax credits are overpaid.

Good luck!!

• 1 month later...

Could anyone please help me? I have a long ongoing dispute over an alledged overpayement but last week received a letter saying the tax credits have revised and increased the overpayment because they say I sent my P60 to them late. This is a blatent lie. It relates to the period 2003/2004. They have never said anything about me sending them the P60 into them late before despite having been in contact with them about the other overpayment over the last few years. I am at my wits end with them. Should I appeal or dispute this new alledged overpayment? I sent the P60 to them well within the deadline but cannot find the RD slip of proof of posting 5 years down the line.

• 2 months later...

I was rather surprised to receive a letter through the post from a debt management officer informing me I owed £3315.10. The last and only time I claimed tax credits was around SIX YEARS ago when my children lived with me for a couple of years. Thankfully there are websites like this one where people can share their frustrations. I know for a fact I don't owe it so won't be paying a penny.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just joined and was wondering if someone could help me on a matter of work/child tax credit overpayment.

The problem is that last year tax credits say we were overpaid by £1200, we did not know this until earlier this year, We did not recieve a change of cirumstance pack in August last year so we did not complete the form.

They continued to pay us last year for the reason of and i quote, "so as not to put us into finacial difficulty" Now they want their money back and i don't have a pot ot **** in. Which puts us in great financial difficulty.

We have always complied and filled in and sent back all correspondence. So if we did not recieve one letter how can they put us in so much finacial difficulty surely if we don't reply they should stop sending money until they recieve one.

I know it will be difficult to prove that we did not recieve the said post but surely if we have continued to recieve payments that we thought were correct then why should we have to pay them back.

I'm not brilliant with figures and the packs they send are quite confusing, so if there is anyone out there who can help please reply to this post.

Hi,

I've just joined and was wondering if someone could help me on a matter of work/child tax credit overpayment.

The problem is that last year tax credits say we were overpaid by £1200, we did not know this until earlier this year, We did not recieve a change of cirumstance pack in August last year so we did not complete the form.

They continued to pay us last year for the reason of and i quote, "so as not to put us into finacial difficulty" Now they want their money back and i don't have a pot ot **** in. Which puts us in great financial difficulty.

We have always complied and filled in and sent back all correspondence. So if we did not recieve one letter how can they put us in so much finacial difficulty surely if we don't reply they should stop sending money until they recieve one.

I know it will be difficult to prove that we did not recieve the said post but surely if we have continued to recieve payments that we thought were correct then why should we have to pay them back.

I'm not brilliant with figures and the packs they send are quite confusing, so if there is anyone out there who can help please reply to this post.

Problem with overpayments is proving you were not aware of the mistake , every year you are sent a end of year report when you complete your decleration you are asked to check that decleration to make sure all the information was correct earnings etc they will also ask you to make sure your next years expected earnings and information to be correct and if it is not to contact them. If you claim you did not see this on the forms because you didnt read it correctly or were confused they wont take that as an excuse.

If you think you were not aware and recived no documentation to show what income they had for you and you were lead to belive the money was yours you can appeal this decision. I would phone them up and request a COP 21 it think it is to appeal the overpayment.

Your best bet is to try and find some advise on the matter probably down the legal route best bet is some legal guy who has has knowledge of benefits.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

can anyone tell me how long it takes for an overpayment to be calculated?

I have 5 years of overpayments as they decided to continue paying the credit it to an old bank account after I had not renewed in 2005, i have spoken to them and they keep saying its about 4 weeks, thats 3 months ago.

Also has anyone had a similar problem?