style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Don't show a bailiff a HP contract for a vehicle if there is a big gap between what it is worth and what is owed on it!!

just keep the car parked in another street or garages somewhere

(bailiffs will often do a tour around your home - usually around 4-6 am a few days before they actually call and place the red letter through the letterbox and will take details of any cars they think might belong to you- they will then check out those cars with DVLA (YES they do have direct links) and come back for them later if they are registered to you or your wife!

another little tip

bailiffs will often post the red letter in your letter box- leaving a part of it still showing in the letterbox

guess why??

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it does indeed, however as for bailiff no go- let me recite a true story

When i was a bailiff, we had a particularly obnoxious greek who was a serious won't payer, anything from fines to debts- he ran loads up, was clearly well heeled and stuck two fingers up at the system,

On one occassion i threatened to seize his merc ( a big really nice motor it was too)

He cockily produced the HP agreement which showed that the car was indeed not his property

I noticed that he had around 4000 left to pay on the agreement. The car was easily worth 20,000 and so after a few conversations with the office i seized it and had it taken away.

The next thing we had was a letter of protest from the finance company who claimed ownership.

We paid the HP company the amount that was owed to them on the car straight away - just shy of 4000 -then sold the car, the debtor got a small amount back from the sale and was spitting feathers.

The company I worked for invited the HP company to sue if they felt they had a case (and i suspect that the intention was to "test" the matter out in court)

to my knowledge they never did.

Since i am now retired i have no idea if it has been done again but there's a moral there

if you are a wont pay - as opposed to a cant pay- human nature will take its course

Thanks diddy, that was an interesting read! To be honest, I'm really only interested in the can'ts as opposed to the won'ts so, in your case, the nature of the beast did what was necessary and I have no grumbles over that.

Best wishes.

Rae.

Yes they can if it is the only asset available to levy![/quote

Whilst a bailiff can of course seize whatever he likes at the time, (and will then later face the conseqeunces of wrongful seizure and possible revocation of his licence and/or bond if he has been vexatious )....

unless the rules have changed since my day, a 7000 seizure for a 300 pound debt- irrespective of it being the only one available (hp or no hp) would be the subject of a successful action by the aggrieved IMO