• Tweets

• Resume payments with the debt collectors? You say not to pay dca though do you not? 
    • yes they mostly would be enforceable, but that wasnt the point. even if they get a CCJ the very worst they could have done is get a restriction k which is useless to them. doesnt hurt anything. the CCJ would remain on file for 6yrs yes, but then gone same as a DN. the rest k charge does not show at all. and even so, the idea was to get your debts issued a default notice ASAP, them RESUME payments.. the advise is NOT conflicting, just you don't read things properly or understand.  oh well. dx
    • This is the dilemma I had then and still have it. The bit that stopped me was the post 2015 comments about them being enforceable now in most instances which I feel hasn’t been answered unless I am missing something. the bonus I guess is not all credit agreements now will be chasing me so less people chasing me down so to speak. this is the problem as there is conflicting messaging out there it is hard to plan a strategic way forward 
    • In 2017 my wife was given PIP and I finally, officially, became her carer. In 2019 she was reviewed and we were told it would be done by phone to make it easier for her as she has mobility issues and anxiety. The review was very simple, Has anything changed? No, ok, we'll stay as you are then. In 2022 a second review, this time by phone again but with an awkward given at the end for 5 years. Today, we got a new review letter (I know wait lists are bad, but I dont think the wait will take til 2027 for a decision). We're a bit confused because it's a letter, not a phone call as before. The form is just questions that ask "has anything changed" Now, since 2017, nothing has changed except we had our home adapted via disability grant. This was noted in the phone calls. So we should really write that nothing has changed in the last 2 years. The adaptations have been mentioned in both previous phone reviews, but not in writing so I guess we should bring it up. But we feel that they want us to explain everything as if it were a new claim again... And are worried if we miss something in the original claim or the phone calls she will risk losing part of the award (a 2 point swing could be really bad) It does just say "has anything changed?" But in dealing with ESA prior to getting PIP, answering the question asked "has your condition worsened or improved" at a review process with a simple "no, I'm still the same" somehow led to ESA ending and needing appeal. So just want a bit of guidance. How much detail is needed? Is minimal ok? Or should we be blunt with the fact nothing has changed, and bullet point the things she struggles with in each section?   I know the obvious thing is to just explain it all,but over 10 years the sheer amount of times the poor woman has had ESA or PIP stopped/refused just because something was missed out in their report, or they felt it meant a new claim should be made, or that they judged her healthy because we missed a tiny thing in our forms. During COVID it finally seemed like it was all just going to be smooth, especially with the phone reviews and the 5 year reward, but here we are. We just want to make sure we have the least chance to trip ourselves up, but making sure we have what is expected if you get me? I wish I still had a copy of the forms from 2017, because I could just verbatim copy them and add in about the adaptation, but (ironically) we lost our photocopies we kept of them when the house was being adapted
    • might of been better to have got them all defaulted 2yrs ago as we carefully explained before then you'd already be 1/3rd there and your current issue would not be one.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

B. how in the hell my 5 grand course has jumped upto over 12 grand

If it's a BPF, you have signed an Interest Free Option agreement with the payments deferred for a year.

If you pay the full ammount within the year, there are no charges so Interest Free.

If you don't, it turns into an Interest Bearing agreement at a horrible rate of interest, which is charge all the way back to when you signed the agreement.

As for the salesman, he may have phrased it quite 'carefully'.

David

Hi everyone.

Totally agree with a lot of the posts here. I too would like proof that all the money was forwarded to Advent.

I was called yesterday to go in to the Trading Standards office. I really want to know "Have we a case to fight here" her answer was YES.

This was a link loan part of a three way agreement Advent have ceased to trade and have broke the agreement. Therefore Breaking the contract and the links.

I said I didn't think it right to force me to pay for something that's no longer there Answer They can't do that.

I said BPF are sourcing a new provider Answer... Big Deal they can do what they want but fundamentally the contract is broken and you have a case to fight for.

I have not received any replies from the letters I sent to BPF so I have to wait another week to see if I get any reply from them and then contact the TS again next week. Whether they reply or not I'll keep you posted.

So don't buckle guys keep strong stick together follow it through hopefully we'll get a result. But sorry to say we're gonna have to fight for it.

hey guys,

i wrote to bpf last friday to tell them to freeze my acount but have recived no reply!!!!!:-x this morning i recieved a letter from them telling me that they are "in discussions with a suitable alternative provider, which we hope to conclude shortly". i don't want this new provider and want out of this mess asap!!!!!!! any suggestions?

hey guys,

i wrote to bpf last friday to tell them to freeze my acount but have recived no reply!!!!!:-x this morning i recieved a letter from them telling me that they are "in discussions with a suitable alternative provider, which we hope to conclude shortly". i don't want this new provider and want out of this mess asap!!!!!!! any suggestions?

Best thing to do is start reading through posts from earlier in this thread, through to the most recent. People have been giving lots of information which will hopefully help us all. It's very unlikely at this stage that anyone will be able to give you any extra advice than has already been given, but you can always hope :)

I think some of you might be a Advent's agents but I don't care who you are. Some time I question my self that should I be an extremist, shall I share your information or not and most of the time I am thinking, how people get rich, how bankers make money and who have the most money in the banks or do we not have place to live on this earth, shall we not enjoy same as them so if not what are the factors preventing us to do so...etc. For rich people, 5k-10k could be nothing but for some of us £5950.00 is a lifetime committment unless we succeed in our careers. If someone can wave this with charity or donation I honestly want to refrain from these sort of businesses and training organisations. I was more happy and stress free before than now. I now realised that thousands and thousand people are cheated and conned by these swindlers so called Advent, Access2.. haha same owner, same greedy and dump people. Do they have their family, does money means everything to them ? How about putting their feet in our shoes ?

Just a quick note about the petition:- does anyone else think that May is a bit too far away for this petition to be ending? One of the arguments we may be able to argue with Barclays is that no alternative provider has was found within a reasonable time. If they get one before the petition ends, the whole issue might be over before the petition ends, rendering it a bit useless. Any thoughts? I think the petition is an excellent idea, but my point being, if Barclays turn round and say they've found an alternative provider next month for example and we say we're going to wait and see if the petition goes in our favour in May, if it then does not go in our favour our argument that no resolution has been reached within a reasonable time could be contradicted by us saying we were willing to wait until May.

Edited by Matthew Lee

I absolutely agree. I have been composing a letter ready for when I recieve a reply to my previous one outlining what I believe could have happened here. That is, the funds were not released to Advent as 1, full, single payment and that would explain the downfall of Advent. I've also told them there's nothing to gain for them by paying for an alternative provider rather than giving my money back and cancelling the loan because it's an interest free loan. The only reason I can see why they would want to do this is because they're seeking cheaper courses for us all than it would cost to cancel loan and issue refunds. All of this is good argument for not accepting a new course - courses that are cheaper than the ones we signed up for and the lack of trust I now have in Barclays. Who's to say that if Barclays find us new courses, the same thing won't happen again and we have to go through this whole scenario again. Plus, if we're assigned new courses which we accept, then we find they're not to our liking, we've already enrolled and there'll be absolutely no chance of cancelling the agreement so I just want out of the whole thing while I have a chance. If we get the money back, we can choose our own courses if we wish to continue training, then if they're not to our liking we only have ourselves to blame. I'm not going to leave my future in someone else's hands and let a big corporate business with only profit in mind to decide what's best for me and my future.

Ive been trying to puzzle out why any bank would basically give a lump some to a training provider and say 'dont worry we will collect the payment from the student for no interest and no potential gains'

The only thing I can conclude is a) advent accept less than what the course costs so they affectively pay the interest b) the bank holds the money to invest/get interest on etc in a holding account and releases a portion of the funds over the term of the agreement as we pay them.

Anything else doesnt really make sense to me.

Just a quick note about the petition:- does anyone else think that May is a bit too far away for this petition to be ending? One of the arguments we may be able to argue with Barclays is that no alternative provider has was found within a reasonable time. If they get one before the petition ends, the whole issue might be over before the petition ends, rendering it a bit useless. Any thoughts? I think the petition is an excellent idea, but my point being, if Barclays turn round and say they've found an alternative provider next month for example and we say we're going to wait and see if the petition goes in our favour in May, if it then does not go in our favour our argument that no resolution has been reached within a reasonable time could be contradicted by us saying we were willing to wait until May.

Good point, Matthew.

As I understood it when I phoned the Financial Ombudsman, 8 weeks from the insolvency announcement was considered a reasonable time for BPF to have resolved this matter (that takes it around to 3 April). They advised putting in a complaint via them if there was no like-for-like new training provider in place by then, citing the breach of contract S75 of the Consumer Credit Act as already mentioned on this thread.

Citizens Advice told me to write to BPF complaints stating clearly I wanted a refund and giving them 14 days from the date of letter to give a satisfactory response, not just the standard 'fob off' letter they are sending out ("we are looking for a training provider who will be as good if not bettter" blah blah).

Frankly I think Barclays have dug a big hole for themselves and there's no way they'll manage to find a replacement for Advent anyway, not one that provides a guaranteed work placement and job search support, as Advent salesmen promised us. They'll have no option but to refund all those who took out the BPF loan, and they must know that. They're stalling for time and desperately trying to find another training company no doubt to save paying out the money!

I certainly won't accept any other training provider foisted upon me and, like many of you, just want the money back now. For sure, Barclays will be acting in it's own interest and not out of any concern for the unfortunate Advent students!

If you haven't already, I suggest joining the Facebook group, Advent Computer Training Scammed Us!

Hello guys, I am in the same situation as you.. I cant believe that these dirty businessmen who owns bpf could do that with a students who wanted to start a career and paid all they got from money to just get a job... that is discusting really when we are all suffering while those twats driving there shiny cars they bought with our money... I would advice everyone with @dvent to meet up and decide what we can do and get a solicitor. we wont let bpf play with us like a toy and take us from a provider to another... may b next year with another provider.... they cant get away with it

I did think when I saw the closing date for the petition it was a bit far off. You may have a point about the provider argument with BPF.

I think the Petition is an excellent idea too but thought we should have more signatures Anyone who hasn't signed please do. I wonder if there was a way to present the petition before May. what about emailing Gordon Brown I have emailed The MSP for my area at the Scottish Parliament his case worker is looking at this situation for us all. Who would be best to email in the London Government. we need to get this out there we need all the help we can get.

GUYS AND GIRLS - This is a legitimate Protest for Advent & Access2Trade students to get their voices heard.

SUNDAY MARCH 7th @ 1PM, PARLIAMENT SQUARE, CENTRAL LONDON

We are sick and tired of waiting and putting our lives on hold and we are about to forced to be contracted to another training provider that we DO NOT WANT!

This is the only way to get your voices heard by the British public and most importantly the Government. We are emailing every Media entity we know and hope that people can actually stand up for their rights and join us.

The MET has given us permission to hold a demonstration at Parliament Square next Sunday and everyone affected by this should do their best to turn up (at least have a day out in London!)

The only way to get everyone in the same place was do it on the dreaded Facebook but at least on this protest group we can stay in one place and keep in contact.

PROTEST by Students of ADVENT Training & ACCESS2TRADE | Facebook

I will go and everyone SHOULD go.. dont waste your time sitting back and waiting for the lovely bpf to knock on your door and give you your money back and apologize....dirty thieves

It is possible Barclays Plc may react to bad publicity.

After all, they bought Clydsedale Financial Services Ltd as a venture from Clydesdale Bank, who having been bought by the Australians, binned it.

If you are serious, frankly - 'dirty thieves' and another post I saw 'shiny cars' will get you laughed at. Moderate your language and get to the point as to why this unfair.

The MSP for my area at the Scottish Parliament his case worker is looking at this situation for us all.

Hmmm...don't know what to make of that.

The Scottish Parliament is annoyed with Barclays as they are shutting the Glasgow operation and moving it to Cardiff.:eek: Expect however, they will defend Clydesdale Financial Sevices Ltd, trading as Barclays Partner Finance, who along with Advent, created this mess to start with.

David

After all, they bought Clydsedale Financial Services Ltd as a venture from Clydesdale Bank, who having been bought by the Australians, binned it.

If you are serious, frankly - 'dirty thieves' and another post I saw 'shiny cars' will get you laughed at. Moderate your language and get to the point as to why this unfair.

Hmmm...don't know what to make of that.

The Scottish Parliament is annoyed with Barclays as they are shutting the Glasgow operation and moving it to Cardiff.:eek: Expect however, they will defend Clydesdale Financial Sevices Ltd, trading as Barclays Partner Finance, who along with Advent, created this mess to start with.

David

As A constituent in the MSP's area I was letting him know what's going on with Advent and BPF and the mess that BPF/ Clydesdale FS have created.

I have also contacted Watchdog, Consumer Direct, Trading Standards I've written to BPF had no reply but they sent a letter today saying" they can confirm that they are in discussions with a suitable alternative provider which they hope to conclude shortly " But have ignored my letter asking for account to be frozen and letters asking to cancel agreement and requesting signed copy of agreement and a copy of their complaints procedure. According to TS we can fight this

In what way do you think they could react David ? Just wondering what could they do?

You may have read that wrong.

Barcalys, (we didn't need government help), are among the most arrogant of the banks at present and will probably defend their financial position to the last.

However, I don't think they are particularly proud of this venture (they bought Clydesdale Financial Services Ltd, which had originally be spun off from Clydesdale Bank who's new Australian owners didn't want it)

They could be a tad sensitive as to why (Clydesdale Financial Services Ltd, with a Barclays hat on), were promoting a high risk product, Interest Free Option, deferred for a year, with swinging interest rates if you don't clear it, in a notoriously high risk area, student loans.

Although Glasgow is history, no doubt Barclays will describe this episode as 'responsible lending'

David

You may have read that wrong.

Barcalys, (we didn't need government help), are among the most arrogant of the banks at present and will probably defend their financial position to the last.

However, I don't think they are particularly proud of this venture (they bought Clydesdale Financial Services Ltd, which had originally be spun off from Clydesdale Bank who's new Australian owners didn't want it)

They could be a tad sensitive as to why (Clydesdale Financial Services Ltd, with a Barclays hat on), were promoting a high risk product, Interest Free Option, deferred for a year, with swinging interest rates if you don't clear it, in a notoriously high risk area, student loans.

Although Glasgow is history, no doubt Barclays will describe this episode as 'responsible lending'

David

Thanks for that David it's a good job somebody knows what they're talking about.

BPF would be depending on my ignorance of the law etc to make me conform well I'll fight this and go to court Because I can't justify paying over £10,000 for 2books and a folder and a couple phone calls to advent. I'm a bit desperate now as it's near time to add interest and I think that's why they're ignoring my letters:-x

I didn't know Clydesdale were BPF I thought they were a seperate provider like Hitachi and I thought they made TV's Lol:lol:

Edited by Bluedo

Just received another fob off letter from BPF "I can confirm we are in discussions with a suitable alternative provider which we hope to conclude shortly"

No reference to anything I wrote to them about freezing the account or about cancellation or paperwork copies I've requested.

Has anyone had a reply to their letters regarding anything they requested from them ie freezing acc or even a request to cancel acc.

They don't seem to want to put anything in writing to me except the fob off letter.

they keep advising me to phone them but I've tried to keep to writing

Edited by Bluedo

I had the same nothing in writing about freezing my account so I did ring them but once I had told them I am recording my call for my records and requested written confirmation I had a letter within 3 days confirming my account was frozen.

Thanks for that mozzer I'll try that hope it works for me

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3925 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks