Lowell Financial - Philips

ska1664
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5201 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received the following letter in the post from Philips whom I have never heard of:

Lowell-Philips.jpg

I am after some advice as the apparent debt which I have no idea what it is what so ever, is for a pathetically tiny amount and from more than two and a half years ago :?:

The letter states Non Consumer account what are they on about :?:

It also says arrears but I have never had any dealings with Lowell and I have just checked all paper work for all of the accounts I am disputing and nothing at all from Lowells.

Do I just ignore this threatogram or send a letter stating I do not acknowledge any debt to your company etc :?:

Any ideas as to the way forward with this one :?:

ska

To be fair they do not claim (in their letter) to be a limited company. Hence no company number.

[Later] However their web site does. Perhaps you had better speak to Companies House on this aspect. http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I have to laugh at this little snippet from their webs*ite

14. What should I do if I think the amounts Philips are attempting to recover are wrong or not owing?

We are not obliged to suspend action on an account whilst you dispute the debt, unless instructed to do so by our client. We strongly suggest you make payment to Philips to stop recovery action commencing whilst disputing the debt. If your dispute is upheld our client will arrange recompense with you if applicable.

Seems a clear breach of the OFT Guidelines to me

They are registered on the companiies house website, also the details referred to are in tiny writing on the other side of the letter along with the very large methods of payment section lol.

"Philips is a registered Trade Mark of Philips Collection services Ltd. Company Reg No. 3517395

Consumer Credit Licence 491286

VAT Registration No. 708 0724 48

Philips Collection Services Ltd Registered Office:

Telford House, garden Street, Darlington, Co. Durham, DL1 1QP"

not_so_goldengirl : things aren't nearly as bad as you might imagine. It is unlikely that the company will send anyone to see you. They do not send their own staff, instead they recruit those who want to earn an extra few bob on commission (you've probably seen those signs hanging around lamp-posts).

These people have no more rights to visit you than I do and you can quite safely tell them to go away.

Bear in mind that they are people who are themselves short of money (otherwise why would they be doing this sort of job?) and probably need your sympathy rather than aggression.

One other point to bear in mind : the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection say that you can ask for an appointment to be made for them to visit. This is principally to allow you to be prepared to discuss the matter, however there is no timescale in which you have to make such an appointment. Next year is perfectly acceptable.

Hence if someone does call uninvited then you can reasonably and civilly ask them to make an appointment.

There is a lot of aggression on CAG toward debt collector's representatives who call in person. I find this unwarranted - such people are not aggressive themselves and are only doing their job. Moreover they are not hiding on the end of a telephone line, they are facing up to an unknown person in the flesh. Would you like to do this job?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

not_so_goldengirl : things aren't nearly as bad as you might imagine. It is unlikely that the company will send anyone to see you. They do not send their own staff, instead they recruit those who want to earn an extra few bob on commission (you've probably seen those signs hanging around lamp-posts).

These people have no more rights to visit you than I do and you can quite safely tell them to go away.

Bear in mind that they are people who are themselves short of money (otherwise why would they be doing this sort of job?) and probably need your sympathy rather than aggression.

One other point to bear in mind : the OFT Guidelines on Debt Collection say that you can ask for an appointment to be made for them to visit. This is principally to allow you to be prepared to discuss the matter, however there is no timescale in which you have to make such an appointment. Next year is perfectly acceptable.

Hence if someone does call uninvited then you can reasonably and civilly ask them to make an appointment.

There is a lot of aggression on CAG toward debt collector's representatives who call in person. I find this unwarranted - such people are not aggressive themselves and are only doing their job. Moreover they are not hiding on the end of a telephone line, they are facing up to an unknown person in the flesh. Would you like to do this job?

Unless they can provide written authority from yourself to visit, they deserve whatever happens imho.

I have certainly found extremely aggressive, but completely lawful behaviour to be a wonderful tool in stopping the immoral parasites from visiting due to previous tenants. Nobody made them take the job. If they are polite and respectful, then thats what they get back, and a firm but polite order to leave. I have found however that many like to try and act the cocky big man. Red flag to a bull to me sadly.

"its my job" is not an excuse. If a collector calls at my house, and refuses to obey an order to leave within 30 seconds, they are marched off. My responsibility to protect the security of myself, my family and my property outweighs his rights to perform his job. Bullys never ever like being bullied back :wink:

And given that my partner was mugged at our front door, I do not appreciate these people unnerving her. (she still will not answer the door or leave the house on her own in the dark 2 years later)

Of course, if somebody can provide a section of the european human rights act that ensures that cold calling debt collectors with no appointment override my rights to the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of my home, then I will consider changing my ways/ ;)

Also I seem to recall a couple of threads recently, where bailiff's branching into normal debt collection have perhaps "blurred" the line between a debt collector and a bailiff with a court warrant when dealing with "customers" Though I am sure its quite by accident and the fact that the word Bailiffs with the company name are written all over the paperwork is in anyway meant to deceive.

Edited by caledfwlch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

philips.ORG.uk ? The ORG.UK domain range is intended for non-profit organisations - Oh, they probably are with so many CAGgers ignoring them;-)

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Good Morning All

I had dealings with Phillips a few year ago, and I paid up like a flash, cant even remember the debt, can I request from Phillips the info they have on me as maybe I can reclaim some charges back, I remember that the father was the owner and the daughter done the collections?

Mr W

Regards..Mr Worried :)

I think some sort of similar response was made in Nuremburg in 1945 about "people just doing their job".

Harrassment, Extortion or any other excessive behaviour shouldn't be TOLERATED WHATEVER job you do.

If you just blindingly go round to someone's house with neither the legal authority to do so - or even without knowing exactly the person's individual circumstances and just do it on the say so of some "dubious organisation" you really deserve everything you get.

'Nuf said

Jimbo

I think some sort of similar response was made in Nuremburg in 1945 about "people just doing their job".

Harrassment, Extortion or any other excessive behaviour shouldn't be TOLERATED WHATEVER job you do.

If you just blindingly go round to someone's house with neither the legal authority to do so - or even without knowing exactly the person's individual circumstances and just do it on the say so of some "dubious organisation" you really deserve everything you get.

'Nuf said

Jimbo

Quoted for Truth.

The only purpose of a "field agent" as they sometimes like to call themselves is harrassment, intimidation and to cause as much embarrassment as possible.

In these days of Identity theft and fraud, and where personal data is worth fortunes, you would have to be mental to do anything with a debt collector other than order him off the property.

I strongly suspect that pulling out a camera and taking their pictures and their car licence plate "as proof" might make them run for the hills also. ;)

My right to privacy and the quiet enjoyment of my home is more important than their rights.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
I have just received the following letter in the post from Philips whom I have never heard of:

Lowell-Philips.jpg

I am after some advice as the apparent debt which I have no idea what it is what so ever, is for a pathetically tiny amount and from more than two and a half years ago :?:

The letter states Non Consumer account what are they on about :?:

It also says arrears but I have never had any dealings with Lowell and I have just checked all paper work for all of the accounts I am disputing and nothing at all from Lowells.

Do I just ignore this threatogram or send a letter stating I do not acknowledge any debt to your company etc :?:

Any ideas as to the way forward with this one :?:

ska

Did you hear anymore from these guys?

Hi,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I recently received exactly the same letter for the same amount. I was told to ignore as it was just a [problem] but 2 weeks later I received another letter threatning to take recovery action. After finding this site I fired off the provide proof of debt letter by recorded delivery. Which was received by Philips on 3rd feb. I today (8th Feb) received another letter dated 4th of Feb saying they are going to attend my premises to recover the debt.

I have no knowledge of any unpaid bills and If it is genuine I would be happy to pay. I have 3 small children and I am worried that heavies will turn up to intimidate my wife while I am at work. Could anyone please provide some advice on what to do next.

Thanks

Sorry to hijack the thread

Best bet is to start your own thread, rather than jump on someone elses, as it makes it easier for people to help you that way.

Click here to start a thread of your own... ;-)

Other advice is to read, a lot, about how other people have dealt with the same thing. A lot can be learned through self help and knowing what the real situation is.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• 2 weeks later...

After receipt of the first letter I sent the following:

Dear Sir/Madam,

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to Mystery Person.

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance, which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

I then received "the account is on hold for 28 days whilst we query our client for the relevant documentation to be issued to you."

I have now received this:

Lowell-Philips2.jpgont]

I have not received any documentation regarding this alleged debt, and now they send a DEMAND FOR PAYMENT.

Any ideas as to what should be done next?

ska