BCA / Book Club Associates Ltd / Books for children

Systemerror
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot charge for 'storage' it is an urban myth. You need to be very sure that you did not order the books, and these days all it takes is not ticking the right box and the problems commence. Even then, under the DSR you can still reject them and ask for them to be collected or for a label for you to return.

You need to state that you never placed any order, and require them to provide proof within 21 days. In the absence of this, you require them to collect or provide a label for their retirn, AND the calling off of their debt recovery firm.

You cannot charge for 'storage' it is an urban myth. You need to be very sure that you did not order the books, and these days all it takes is not ticking the right box and the problems commence. Even then, under the DSR you can still reject them and ask for them to be collected or for a label for you to return.

You need to state that you never placed any order, and require them to provide proof within 21 days. In the absence of this, you require them to collect or provide a label for their retirn, AND the calling off of their debt recovery firm.

From experience:

If you have opted out of the editors choice and this company is harassing you for money, fax a hefty invoice for storage of their property to their finance department. They will drop any claim that you owe them a penny and will give you their books as a goodwill gesture.

The invoice is unenforceable. It means absolutely nothing. In EXACTLY the same way as a parking ticket/invoice from a private parking company. Generating a false invoice (the firm has not agreed to the charges, therefore you cannot invent them).

Of course, they may decide to resolve the issue - which they would do anyway, but the prospect that an invoice is some 'magic bullet' to a resolution is sadly mistaken.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

I have had a lot of problems with BCA and CCS, my story starts back in November when unsolicited books arrived on my doorstep, this has taken a lot of time on my part (don't get me started on foreign call centres), in June this year after getting advice from Consumer Direct, BCA agreed that the books where now a gift, so I thought great end of the matter, shouldn't hear from them or any of their collection agencies WRONG!.

After a blissful two weeks away I came back to a letter stating that I owed £64.00 to BCA, spoke to an aggressive lady at CCS, who wasn't interested that I didn't owe any money, I asked for a copy of the alleged invoice - nothing forthcoming, then the texts started please call CCS, if you don't respond they send them persistently, but when you do call you are meet with rude, aggressive, intimidating people, that you feel that you have no choice to pay, which I didn't so another call to Consumer Direct, advised that I wrote to them, which I have duly done. In the meantime, I saw on this forum the number for Tony Day (no longer Customer Service Manager) but spoke to the new Manager - Sharon (not as helpful as Tony), who called me the next day to say everything had been written off - but pointedly stated the debt was with Books Direct not BCA. I stated that if I had actually received the invoice I who know what the bill was for! rather than having to guess! Obviously I asked for everything in writing as I know from past experience something else will come up with these companies.

My Advice to anyone who gets tangled up with Books Direct or BCA (which are one in the same company) and any of there numerous debt collector agencies is to:

Record who you speak to (dates, names, times etc)

I have found sending an email to BCA customer services is a better way to communicate with them, as you always receive a response and its dated, you also get a complaint number (very helpful, when lodging a formal complaint)

Contact Consumer Direct - I can not praise them enough, without there guidance I would have gone mad months ago, they give you the key words for you to construct your letters . Also if people do not highlight the problem to them, they can not take action against this company, which in my opinion is well over due.

Before you buy anything from a direct seller check the company out, if I had done that I would never have bought anything from these companies.

Hope that helps anyone in this situation