Esporta Gym Membership

jarviscocker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recieved a letter from Esporta Gyms informing me they were increasing the cost of my gym membership by £3 a month from january.

On the membership application that I signed there is no mention that they can do this, rather the agreed annual ammount I signed up to broken down into monthly direct debits.

I have studied the terms and conditions (which I did not sign) and there is a clause that says fees are reviewed periodically and they can raise them if they see fit, I did not sign these terms and conditions.

Can my Gym do this? It doesn't seem correct to me!

Grateful for any advice.

If you did not sign any terms and conditions, you would not be in contract? Highly unlikely - did you sign something which perhaps said you acknowledged or had read the terms and conditions, which may have been on a separate piece of paper?

A lot of gyms are now increasing fee's recently - most will let you leave because you did not agree to pay the amount they are asking to pay when they increase the membership - but some will try and hold you to your contract.

However, different gyms have differents terms and conditions, and each one is different. An OFT guide is here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/consumer_leaflets/general/oft380.pdf

Also, you can ring Consumer Direct who have lots of advice regarding Gym Memberships, this topic is always hot around this time of year with a surge of people looking for a new years resolution.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

Possibly - it may not be enforceable but then it could be pursued by them. Depends how much of an issue you want to make about it? Personally, I think that the gym should give it's members the option of exiting the contract if they do not agree with the price increase, but then many people may use this to get an incentive for them to stay.

On the outside, Gyms are becoming more and more expensive to run and there is a need to increase there cashflow - if they raise membership fee's by £3 a month, then this is not bad going on the whole, it's not a huge increase and won't affect your personal finances that much and will allow the gym to keep operating at a level. If they have to cut corners, then you could end up with rubbish and out of date equipment etc.

However, I agree with you on the principle matter, and if they are going to increase the fee's, make it optional for people to stay! Gym's are expensive (and hard enough to keep at it) without draining more money from the public!

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)