• Tweets

• In short you never communicate with a Debt Collector, they have no power here at all. The snotty letter is only used to respond to a properly worded Letter Before Claim. The only time you would be recommended to contact the PPC is to send the snotty letter. You do nothing but keep the tripe they send you unless you receive a letter before claim.
    • Probably to do with the Creditor accepting the reduced payments claim as part of the IVA. - Thats my guess anyway.  As for the mount outstanding... 60k is incredible and im pretty sure a DRO wouldnt cover that much even after the new legislation.    For you @Alfy - Please stay headstrong and stop worrying. My viewpoint on debt with debt collectors is simple. You are a figure on a spreadsheet loaded into a database for them to run a collection cycle through.  They dont care about emotions or your situation, they just care about paying off their shareholders and trying to turn a profit.  They use varying tactics to increase the pressure on you to the point where you will break. People then fall for this an either cave in to DCAs before doing their own due diligence on the debts that are purchased or turn to IVAs like you have.    They are better ways to handle this and Im glad you feel better after a good nights sleep - I hope you can keep it up. 
    • Good afternoon,    I am writing in reference to the retail dispute number ****, between myself and Newton Autos concerning the sale of a Toyota Avensis which has been found to have serious mechanical faults.    As explained previously the car was found to be faulty just six days after purchase. The car had numerous fault codes that appeared on the dash board and went into limp mode. This required assistance from the AA and this evidence has already been provided. The car continues to exhibit these faults and has been diagnosed as having faults with the fuel injectors which will require major mechanical investigation and repairs.    Newton Autos did not make me aware of any faults upon purchase of the vehicle and sold it as being in good condition.    Newton Autos have also refused to honour their responsibilities under The Consumer Rights Act 2015 which requires them to refund the customer if the goods are found to be faulty and not fit for purpose within 30 days of purchase.    Newton Autos also refused to accept my rejection of the vehicle and refused to refund the car and accept the return of the vehicle.    It is clear to me that the car is not fit for purpose as these mechanical faults occurred so soon after purchase and have been shown to be present by both the AA and an independent mechanic.   Kind regards
    • Commercial Landlords are legally allowed to sue for early cancellation of the lease. You can only surrender your lease if your landlord agrees to your doing so. They are under no obligation even to consider your request and are entitled to refuse. You cannot use this as an excuse not to pay your rent. Your landlord is most likely to agree to your surrendering the lease if they want the property back in order to redevelop it, or if they wants to rent it to what they regards as a better tenant or at a higher rent. There are two types of surrender: Express surrender in writing. This is a written document which sets out the terms of the surrender. Implied surrender by conduct. (applies to your position) You can move out of the property you leased, simply hand your keys back and the lease will come to an end, but only if the landlord agrees to accept your surrender. Many tenants have thought they can simply post the keys through the landlord's letter box and the lease is ended. This is not true and without a document from the landlord, not only do you not know if the landlord has accepted the surrender, you also do not know on what basis they have accepted and could find they sue you for rent arrears, service charge arrears, damage to the property and compensation for your attempt to leave the property without the landlord's agreement. Unless you are absolutely certain that the landlord is agreeable to your departure, you should not attempt to imply a surrender by relying on your and the landlord's conduct.  
    • I had to deal with these last year worst DCA I have ever dealt with. Just wait for the constant threats of CCJ and how you'll lose in court and how they won't do mediation and they want the judge to question you with a load of "BIG" words to boot with the letter. My case was struck out in the end, stupidity on their part as I admitted to owing the debt in the end going through the court process was just a formality as they wouldn't let it drop despite me admitting the debt regardless. They didn't send the last part of the court paper work in so it ended up being struck out     .
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Speeding Ticket from Spain?!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2650 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received my 2nd copy of the ticket on Saturday

Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring to

Same here, unfortunately I've received TWO of them :evil:

I received my first 2 letters in Nov'09 from my Ibiza trip in Aug'09

Like everyone else I tried in vain to make some sort of sense out of these 'odd' registered letters as soon as I received them and found that they are unpayable from outside of Spain unless you have either NIF, NIE or CIF which only nationals have!

Checked again tonight as this is STILL playing on my mind and I noticed the site has been updated to now include PASAPORTE and 3 others I can't pronounce!

I contacted the Rental Company, who knew nothing of any such fines even though they had charged me 2 lots of £40 for something?? and then said they would contact the local Ibiza office for me to find out why I had been surcharged twice and call me back...but didn't! Even on my second try..Thanks AVIS Preferred!

I then contacted someone in Ibiza back in Nov'09 who very kindly travelled the road I was supposed to have committed these offences on been 104KM/H and 109KM/H on an 80KM/H Motorway! :-x He says that there IS a camera located where it says on the notice I received AND a very small and obscured lower limit placed specifically to catch people out! The most part of the rest of this motorway is 120KM/H. Some VERY strong F-words spring to mind here :-x:-x:-x

As I so far have been unable to find any sort of email address for these bunch on F'ing Spaniards aka DGT.es to voice my opinions to and their so called telephone number either goes straight to a machine or you get some bod pick the phone up who then doesn't understand English anyway. I totally fail to see how the flipping heck I could actually pay these things anyway. Legit or Not!

Now I've got the dilemma of should I attempt to try and pay using my Passport number (which I tried before they changed their website!!)....BUT I've now got the overwhelming feeling of why the F should I, when these bunch of Spaniards can't even be bothered to send me a letter in my own language or even worse point me to their website that then only displays in Spanish WTF? If that was the DVLA you can bet you bottom dollar that you can read in any flipping language on earth....Arrrrgh! :-x

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know why you even all getting fruity about it.

Ignore it. What's the worst that will happen...NOTHING!!! Do you HONESTLY think our land would send ridiculous fines to other nationals??? No and do you think those nationals would gives 2f***s if we did? No.

So seriously go put the kettle on. And for F*** sake do NOT go giving your passport number out!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I've been in discussion with the AA over this. They have received several other enquiries over the matter and having spoken to their Spanish counterparts in the breakdown recovery world, can confirm the speeding tickets are legitimate. Apparently Italy are doing the very same too.

With regards to whether the tickets can be enforced or not, they are a little unclear. They have had one member who telephoned the DGT helpline and was informed that they cannot really make you pay and little will be done, providing you don't use the same hire car company again if you return to the country. Then on the flip side, they have warned that you may experience difficulties upon returning to the country and in extreme circumstances, the fines are passed to collection agencies. They didn't, however, state whether this had been experienced by UK motorists or whether they were just erring on the side of caution.

Personally, I cannot believe a country would go to so much trouble as to pursue a foreign tourist for a speeding ticket and ultimately put some sort of flag on their passport to detain them if/when they return to the country. I would hope that such action in the UK would be reserved for serious crime such as murder and terrorism! However, this has left me a little concerned.

The AA weren't able to really offer any advice as they no longer have a legal department for their members to access, but the general gist was that I should call the helpline, hope they tell me it cannot be enforced and then try to get this in writing should anything further happen. However, having heard the trouble some people have had just trying to get through on the phone, I'm dubious as to how successful this will be.

I guess only time will tell as to whether anyone returning to the country gets some kind of backlash from this. Personally I'm disgusted with Spain and will seriously think twice about taking my tourism there again. I think it is a bad move on their part if they wish to encourage tourism in light of the current financially difficult times.

If anyone has returned to Spain following receipt of one of these tickets, I would be VERY grateful to know what sort of reception you received.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Just wondered if anybody has found out whether these tickets are genuine and, if so, does the non-payment of one cause a problem when you return to Spain? My situation is complicated slightly as i have just received a reminder without ever having received the original. I am therefore outwith the period for getting the discounted rate. This may be due to the fact that they have spelt my name incorrectly on the fine (if it is in fact a fine). the fine of 300 Euros for being approximately 10mph over the speed limit on a main road, seems a bit over the top.

I'm not convinced it isn't a [problem]. In fact it's either a [problem] by crooks or a [problem] by the Spanish authorities as I did not see any warnings about there being a camera. You have to presume the locals are well aware and this is just a convenient trap to get more money out of unsuspecting tourists.

I'd be really grateful if anybody can provide an update on this.

Many thanks

Hi,

I did mean to post an update on this but completely forgot.

I travelled back to Menorca with absolutely no problems whatsoever. They looked at my passport but did not scan it or check it against any database. They simply waved me straight through. We didn't hire a car this year so I'm not sure whether that would make any difference, but I doubt it would. Ultimately, I guess the Police would have to pull you over whilst driving, check your details and then maybe find out you have an outstanding fine, but the chances of that happening I would guess are very small.

I don't think it was a [problem] as such but that the Spanish authorities were chancing their luck knowing full well they had no way of enforcing the ticket. I guess it's worthwhile them trying for the cost of sending a letter. I'm just so glad I didn't part with my money.

€300 seems a bit steep for your ticket, mine was only €100 I think. Did you run the speed camera over?!

Travel with your mind at rest, the Spanish Government are just trying to cash in on a few extra Euros to boost their failing economy. Considering how expensive their car hire has become, I think it's a damn cheek!

Quite correct - a foreign force can only deal with you there and then; its the same here, we issue on the spot fines or arrest and detain for court. Once you leave the country, there is no come back for minor offences such as speeding.

Of course, as previously mentioned, they might issue proceedings in your absence and find you guilty; meaning if you ever go back there, there might be a fine waiting for you when you arrive at border immigration; most cases in the UK are dropped if the person is proved to have gone home permanently and this would most likely be the outcome wherever!

It could also be a hoax like most people are suggesting. . .either way, my advice is to ignore it - how can you reasonably be expected to respond when it's all in a foreign language?!

Thanks for your replies to this. 300 Euros seems a bit much so I think I'll ignore the reminder of a fine that never arrived. Funnily enough, the reminder says "must be signed for", but I returned home to find it posted through the door without having been signed for. Maybe that's why the original went missing (if there was an original).

Thanks again for your help and advice.

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I have been researching this topic all afternoon as I have just got a €300 fine through the post for speeding in Menorca and since we own a holiday home on the mainland was quite worried about not paying it and returning back to Spain.

I found a British Expat site for Spain and they have a great thread on the topic (see below) but from the looks of it there have been reports of British people who have ignored fines being arrested if they have been stopped by the police for something unrelated as they have a new electronic database much like the UK.

I have now paid my fine and got a 50% discount and you'll see from the url below they have some screencaps in English on how to pay and also if you have problems with the NIE section there is also something you can type in to get around it.

I'm not saying for one moment that everyone should pay these incredibly high fines but for me I wanted to be better safe than sorry as I know how tough the Spanish police can be!

Anyway since I've just found out I can not post links (silly!) go on myspain.es and search for "speeding ticket" and you should be able to find the helpful thread there.

Edit: I changed the url because this site is complaining about it? how on earth can you help people if you can't post links?!

Edit: I changed the url because this site is complaining about it? how on earth can you help people if you can't post links?!

You could always cut and paste the url into the message editor and replace the .'s with the word (dot). An older member can then convert it to a link for you!

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone, I am from Netherlands and I'm pretty much having the same experience. I found this thread to be the most exhaustive and useful out of all on the Internet, so I decided to post here.

I was in Spain for 5 days in June, and I received my first fine of 100 Euros (driving 130 in 110) in August which I payed promptly at the apl.dgt.es link I was very pleased that I saved 50 bucks with the discount and the fact tht the process was so smooth.

Two weeks later, I received another fine of 100 euros which I again paid with a 50% discount. Both the fines had photograph of my rental car (the first one had the reverse end license plate and the second one had the front end).

Today I received the 3rd fine, and this time no photograph. Only the official letter in spanish with the N.Expediente number , location etc. Now this drove me nuts. So I went back to the above payment site, and decided to play around with the text fields. Apparently none of the fields matter except for the "Record Number" field. So basically, I can enter any information for doc type, name, surname, date of record, and total amount, the system will calculate the discount. And you pay with your credit card.

Now more importantly, I still can't get the link to the above site from dgt dot es. Someone on this thread had posted earlier that the site changed from spanish to english at a certain point. However, I still don't know where to click to get to the payment page.

So now, I don't know what to make of it. I am not worried about spanish authorities knocking on my door, or the fact tht i might be arrested in my next visit to spain etc. On playing around with their payment page, I realised that their system is not that advance in tracking.

I just think tht the spanish authorities are not quite honest in these matters. Just a way to raise funds to service their debts. While the payment page might be legit (which I highly doubt now), the fact that I didnt receive any photograph makes me more suspicious.

Also, I must add that my GPS system (and the software was updated just a month back) gives me warnings whenever speed cameras are around. And at that time I ensured that I go below 100 (even if speed limit was 120/130, so no question of temporary speed limits of 100 for a brief stretch). And I have driven in several european countries but never been fined.

And I don't plan to speak with the car rental company (National, Alamo) as I don't think they will provide me with any reasonable info. Even if they did give my details to Spanish Authorities, I dont understand why the payment page does not care about other details, and just the record number.

P.S. Could not paste the exact links in my post as this forum only allows links to be posted when post count is greater than 10

I think the biggest problem here is the langauge barrier. Looking back through the thread I think the phrase everybody is looking for to use in a reply is '¡Ni de coña!'. My experience from living in Spain for a while is that if the police want to deal with you they will get you by the roadside and deal with things there and then - and they aren't shy about it - you can be breathalysed and searched for drugs for the heinous crime of having people under 25 in the car late on a Friday or Saturday night, you don't need to do something obviously wrong. Although that sounds bad if you are straight with them they're a pretty reasonable bunch but I can understand that people might get a bit unnerved for being pulled off the road like that. But my point is that it's a pretty unambiguous situation - you know when you've got the attention of the police over there for whatever reason it may be.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

If you receive an unexpected recorded letter from Spain then don't sign for it. Royal Mail will then send it back as undelivered. They may try again but will give up if it still remains undelivered. They than have no conformation of your address or the name of the driver and are unlikely to take the matter any further.

• 3 years later...
Hi Guys,

I have been researching this topic all afternoon as I have just got a €300 fine through the post for speeding in Menorca and since we own a holiday home on the mainland was quite worried about not paying it and returning back to Spain.

I found a British Expat site for Spain and they have a great thread on the topic (see below) but from the looks of it there have been reports of British people who have ignored fines being arrested if they have been stopped by the police for something unrelated as they have a new electronic database much like the UK.

I have now paid my fine and got a 50% discount and you'll see from the url below they have some screencaps in English on how to pay and also if you have problems with the NIE section there is also something you can type in to get around it.

I'm not saying for one moment that everyone should pay these incredibly high fines but for me I wanted to be better safe than sorry as I know how tough the Spanish police can be!

Anyway since I've just found out I can not post links (silly!) go on myspain.es and search for "speeding ticket" and you should be able to find the helpful thread there.

received one of these in the post......looks official on one side however on the other side looks very dodgy and the paper that it has been printed on doesnt seem legit.

The official looking side is very convincing however the reverse is printed sideways and looks very scrappy, I will scan it in and post it up on the site for all to see.

The most worrying part about all this which anyone has failed to mentioned is how these "[problematic]" have gotten my personal details. IE surname and home address????

Has the car rental company leaked my details to the [problematic] or alternatively they have hacked the Car rental comapny's database???

Also there is no mention of my drivers license or passporte number which makes it seem more fishy and less official

ANy thoughts people?

threads 5 yrs old

start a new thread

of your own

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...