Can I stop a door step collection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I hope someone can please help me & I appologise if this is in the wrong thread, sorry.

My wife has received a letter today from Provident personal credit. The letter is asking for £532.50 & says it offers a "fresh start", although originally the loan was with a company called Greenwood personal credit, this letter is from Provident.

The letter states that a "friendly local agent" will come to our home in the next few days. Obviously we are worried about what will happen. The loan was originally taken out about 7 or 8 years ago and to be honest we had forgot about it as we have heard nothing from them until now.

The loan had extreemly high APR but at the time we where desperate to find money to live on due to my business going bust & we had nothing at all to live on, I was declared bankrupt a few weeks later.

My question is .....

Is there a law that I can quote to the collector, or letter template that I can hand to the collector when he / she comes to our home as I am desperate for them to leave us alone ?.

If we are out and our 16 year old daughter is at home when they call, can she simpley hand a typed letter to the collector and basically say "sorry but I'm closing the door" ?.

I would rather write, fax or e mail a letter too them but there isn't an address on the letter for me to write too.

Our life is a struggle as it is. I am disabled with Multiple Sclerosis & Bi Polar disorder and my wife in poor health. She has recently come out of hospital after having surgery and has to endure more surgery at the begining of November. I would rather Provident take my wife to County Court so she can be treated fairly. We do not have enough money to declare her bankrupt.

Thanks,

Matt

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when was the last time you acknowledged the debt by a payment or in writing

Hi, thank you for reading my letter. As far as I am aware we have never spoken or agreed to anything with them. It appears that after reading the letter again that the debt has been sold to a different company.

The opening line of the letter that my wife received says ....

On 12th Oct 2009 BCW Group appointed Provident Personel Credit to collect your outstanding Greenwood Personel credit debt. A friendly local agent will call to your home to discuss repayment options with you.

We could help you pay less

We understand that there may be many reasons why you have been unable to make repayments with BCW Group in the past and if you cannot pay the full amount now, we may be able to help.

The Blue writing above is an exact copy of the wording in the letter that we have received.

The letter then goes on about how regular payments will improve her credit score & that a future Provident loan should be available in the future, not that we ever intend to get involved with this company for a loan.

Look forward to any advise that you may be able to offer.

Thanks

have a read and send them this

looking at other threads, it seems providant are getting into the dca business

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/599-letter-sent-when-debt-is-statute-barred

Thank you. I'll copy the contents of the template letter but unfortunatly there are no contact details for written correspondence other than a phone number. I'm worried that if we phone them we will be talked into payment promises that we cannot afford.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Thank you.

Moving thread into the Debt Forum.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

this is difficult to understand but i'll guess..

you have a loan running with greenwood, but have fallen on hard times and now provident want to take on paying that loan off for a new loan with them?

if this is so they are acting illegally, they should NEVER suggest paying of credit with more credit, report them to the FOS/FSA.

if this is a debt/loan you know nothing about then ignore them.

is my guess correct??

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Greenwood Personal Credit is part of the Provident Financial group of companies.

ya know what, i was thinking that. seem to remember that name from my past 15yrs ago.

nice way of acting then. hey you cant pay this loan, but we'll give you another oh ! thats 2500% int too!! int compound on int!

hope my guess is wrong though.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

ya know what, i was thinking that. seem to remember that name from my past 15yrs ago.

nice way of acting then. hey you cant pay this loan, but we'll give you another oh ! thats 2500% int too!! int compound on int!

dx

20+ years ago for me ;)

Your guess is far from wrong I'm afraid, A loan is what will be offered.

Hopefully one day all dca's will be history

The number is 0800 916 6346 it says call and quote "fresh start"

can we confirm you have an outstanding loan going?

or is this the first you have heard of this 'debt'?

dx

and they

dx

As daft as it sounds, the letter does say that if a proven payment plan is adhered too that we (Provident) may be able to consider us for future credit. At their interest rates they can clear off. The loan was taken out we think in 2001 and at a time in our lives when nothing seemed to be going right. From memory, we have not paid anything since 2002.

can we confirm you have an outstanding loan going?

or is this the first you have heard of this 'debt'?

dx

It was a loan that was taken out in about 2001 or early 2002 but we quickly fell behind with payments and we both think that nothing has been paid or aggreed for about 7 years.

well send the statute barred letter by recorded delievery

print some off and if any body does knock on your door

ram it under there nose

Thanks. Unfortunatly no address is shown anywhere on the letter, only a phone number which I'm going to ignore. I'll print off the Statute Barred letter and address it too Provident Personal Care. I'll ensure the "freindly" door step collector gets a copy.

As you all know, Provident must have the legally highest interest charge in Britain. I've just noticed the logo on their letter says....

Credit Today awards 09 5 star winner. Home credit provider of the year...

I presume this must be a competition that is run by their own group of companies.

Thanks again for all of your help.

actually i wonder if this is a crafty way of getting new business?

they have looked in their old Co. records and have seen you had a loan......

tough its statute barred though.....

i wonder if they are rgistered as a dca now too..can anyone look 'em up?

dx

and they