Cooking with Halogen Cookers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Custard or cream, or even ice cream ..

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

I bet you did'nt, did Kip get permission from Mrs Kip to attack that cake?

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

We have had our halogen a couple of days now and I am finding it a bit of trial and error, though the lamb chops came out lovely:).

What I can't get my head around is, if I am cooking any meat or poultry on the top with the veg on the bottom, does the veg not get coated in all the juices?

hi Shaz

yes the meat juices will cover the veg

if you look back to some of Fivenecks post where he does his chops / burgers etc , the meat juice does cover the potatoes @ the bottom giving them more flavour

to get better roasties, put the cut spuds in a plastic bag , add 2 tbl spoons cooking oil and good shake of sea salt , and pepper to taste give it a good shake up to cover the spuds , tip into a glass dish microwave 5 - 10 mins on high power , depending how many spuds, when really steaming put in halogen 30 - 40 mins till golden brown , adding the chops etc after spuds have been in about 10 mins etc

Edited by kiptower

• 2 weeks later...

you have probably seen a few posts regarding Sarah Jane's cooking

this is her blog , who's going to be first to make this one, I might order the mould for the fun of it and try it, and make an icecream cake for xmas in it

where's Bookie , :D

SiliconeMoulds.com - See What's Cooking !

Dutch Apple Cake

castlecake.

• 2 weeks later...

in many cases it does , our main oven is rarely used , and several of the other regular poster's Fivenecks and Sheba-Dog have not used theirs since they got their H/C last april (2009)

food is often better done in it because the moisture is retained in the food and fat is forced out of the food

if your thinking of getting one let me know we can point you to the best deal

also look for the link to Sarah-Jane's blog lots of good info there

also a few posts back a user has set up a Halogen Cooker only forum but its in its early days yet

and welcome to the thread

Kip

food is often better done in it because the moisture is retained in the food and fat is forced out of the food

Thanks, Kip. Does this mean, hypothetically, that I can eat more since it's more healthy? :) I'm tempted! Tbh, if it cuts down the cooking time for Sunday roasts then it's definitely worth buying.

2 of the major benifits reduced cooking time and reduced cooking costs

you can save probably 50% on an electric oven and 40% on a gas oven approx, also there is no heat up time saving about 20 mins against a normal oven , in one of Sheba-Dogs post he put the maths up for it

if you look @ fivenecks posts you will see the dinners he regular does in his,

even simple things like burgers are better done in it , most of the fat is knocked out, and meat is very moist and tender

as for eating more , wont answer that :rolleyes:

as you will see by avatar we have 2 dogs and one has a heart problem so no fat etc in his diet , so Mrs Kip cooks their food in it, there are pics of their dinner cooking mainly cumberland sausages and chicken and always done in the H/C

we have had posters on here that their main oven broke down or could not afford a new cooker and bought a H/C as a cheaper option and now use them all the time

it can take a bit of time to get used to , tbh we had ours a few months before it really got used, but now its a daily thing, rule of the thumb everything is approx 20 - 30 mins @ 170c but you can always up the temp and increase the time as there is no reheat time

joints of meat a bit lower in temp

chicken @ 175 first half cook upside down, as in many of the posts with pics timing is given

bit more to add

freeview chn 22 ideal world often has their version on there, ( also sky and cable not sure chn no's ) and JML do one often on their chn freeview 16 i think , usefull to watch as they give good demo's on using it , and cooking idea's

Edited by kiptower
typos

Are you a JML salesman Kip?

WARNING TO ALL

nope dont even have anything from JML in the house :eek:

our JMC H/C died got a refund from Makro and bought a different brand

but a tight scotsman that wants the best deal YES :D

Edited by kiptower

Dotty to be honest there arnt many about that are any good

way we work timing out approx , is 10% less in time and temp for what the cook books say for normal fan ovens

there are lots of idea's posted on the thread , look for the post that mention Sarah Jane they will give you links to her blog spot and some of the things she does in the halogen cooker

• 5 weeks later...

Well, not seen kip online for a while... is the site doing well? (I don't have a HO yet so not reg'd)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I've recently replaced my small 7 litre halogen oven with a much larger 12 litre one (£39.99 from Robert Dyas !) Finding it better for cooking larger amounts. However, with either size I have had a somewhat mixed bag of results when it comes to cooking sponge cakes and find the conventional oven gives much better results. Does anyone cook sponge cakes regularly who can give me some tips. Cheers :)

just an update ....as i am know as won't cook don't cook i tend to have the same sort of stuff cooked in the halogen and not really ventured doing other stuff so i have not posted any later pics of cooking that i have tried, so when i try something new i will post ....thanks all

• 3 weeks later...

Allo Allo

First of all, I love this thread. I found this forum via google and after reading this thread, I made up my mind. I want a halogen cooker :-D

I only live in a small studio flat, and have a microwave oven, which I only use to reheat food (take away menus (lol) and coffee and bake the odd roll for brekkie in it. I cook the odd meal every once in a while, but due to lack of space it just gets on my nerves...and cleaning the microwave is a task of its own.

So I saw a Prolectrix HC in a shop a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be a great idea to get one of those one day. I read a few reviews on HC cookers, but there are so many brands out there and I am confused to pick the best one. Which HC would you all suggest and why?

I am a single person, so I don't know if I should go for the 12l or a smaller one.

Thanks by the way for posting the cookbooks. They will help me to get an idea on what to cook, which is always difficult to decide on....

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers

Stef