• Tweets

• Thank you very much for your letter in regard to the above mentioned shipment.  Due to the high volume of parcels coursing through the courier network each day, undergoing continuous processing and handling, certain packages may experience delays or even can get lost in the course of this journey. Please note that due to the time that has passed, this shipment has been declared as lost.  I have today processed the claim and made offers to the value of £75 as a goodwill gesture without prejudice. I do acknowledge that you have mentioned in your letter that the value was higher, however, you did not take out any protection to that amount. The protection for this shipment was £20 and we will not be increasing our goodwill offer any further.    Please log into your account online in order to accept our offer. Once accepted, our accounts department will process the claim accordingly. The claim payment will be processed and received within 7 working days.                                  In addition, a refund of the carriage fee will be processed as a separate payment and will be received within 3 working days.  If I can further assist, please feel free to contact me.   I have also just noticed that yesterday afternoon they sent me an email stating that "after my request" they have refunded the cost of shipping. I did not request the refund so will mention that in my letter as well.
    • Hi I had to leave Dubai back in 2011, during the financial crisis. And only now have I received a letter from IDRWW. Is this anything to worry about about as I have 2 years left until it’s been 15 years(statute barred in Dubai). Worried as just got a mortgage 2 years ago. Could they force me in to bankruptcy? Red lots of different threads on here. And unsure what true and what isn’t. 
    • Not that TOR will see this now he's thrown in the hand grenade. Rayner has plenty of female supporters on X, for a start. As for the council and HMRC, fair enough and I thought Rayner was already in touch with them. That's where it should be dealt with, not the police force. @tobyjugg2 Daniel Finkelstein thinks the same as you about tax. The Fiver theory. How the Fiver Theory explains this election campaign ARCHIVE.PH archived 28 May 2024 17:36:51 UTC  
    • Often with the Likes of Lowells/ Overdales that 'proof' doesn't stand up to scrutiny.   Think about it like a game of poker, they want to intimidate you into folding and giving up as soon as possible, and just get you to pay up and roll over, that is their business model, make you think your cards are rubbish. What they don't expect, and their business isn't set up for it, is for a defendant to find this place and to learn that they have an amazing set of cards to play. Overdales don't have an infinite number of lawyers, paralegals etc, and the time / money to spend on expensive court cases, that they are highly likely to lose, hence how hard they will try to get you to roll over.  Even to the extent of faking documents, which they need to do because the debts that they purchased were so cheap, in the first place. Nevertheless it works in most cases, most people chicken out, when they are so close to winning, and a holding defence is like slowly showing Overdales your first card, and a marker of intention that this could get tricky for them. In fact it may be,  although by no means guaranteed that it won't even go any further than that.  Even if it does, what they send you back will almost certainly have more holes than Swiss Cheese, and if with the help you receive here, you can identify those weaknesses and get the whole thing tossed in the bin.
    • So Rayner who is don’t forget still being investigated by the local council and HMRC  is now begging to save her seat Not a WOMAN in sight in this video other than Rayner  Farage is utterly correct this country’s values are non existent in her seat   Rayner Pleads With Muslim Voters as Pressure From Galloway Grows – Guido Fawkes ORDER-ORDER.COM Guido has obtained a leaked tape from inside a meeting between Angela Rayner and Muslim voters in Ashton-under-Lyne...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Claim Stayed – Due to Unenforceable CCA Test Cases.

Blondie40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4310 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi can anybody recomend a good cmc

It depends what you want them to do. If it's sort out your finances and come up with a sensible payment plan, then CCCS or Payplan, being free, are your best bet.

If you want them to challenge debts etc, then I can't comment since I've never used one. Is it not worth at least a try at doing it yourself, with help from the forum?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 c cards been with a solicitor for 10 months now he says not willing to go on since the test case of 23rd december

My suggestion is that you start a thread of your own, possibly one for each card, in the appropriate forum, then do a 'story' of what's happened so far and get some advice from the people on here.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

This is the quote from the Fountain Court legal website QC .........

Bankim Thanki QC and Andrew Mitchell act in credit card test case

On 23 December 2009 the Mercantile Court in Manchester handed down judgment in a test case arising out of the numerous requests for information under the Consumer Credit Act made by claims management companies seeking to avoid liabilities incurred by their clients under credit card agreements. The Court held that agreements could be enforced in circumstances where a copy of the original agreement signed by the customer could not be produced by the bank. The Court also struck out claims against RBS and Barclays Bank. Bankim Thanki QC represented RBS and Andrew Mitchell represented Barclays.

The judgment of HHJ Waksman QC is cited as Carey v HSBC [2009] EWHC 3417 (QB).

This is not how I understand Wakesman`s judgement. This seems to indicate a much broader judgement than 77/78.

I thought that the original was required both for CPR and enforcement by a DJ. This statement above is like saying that the Consumer Credit Act is not worth the paper it is written on.

If these are the QC`s version of Wakeman then what chance have we.

It seems the cost situation is to put people off fighting. Poor judgements, appeals all add up to a great lunch ticket for the legal bods.

Looking at the Humbleman case If everything was so good for the consumer I would have thought that some CMC would have taken this on for free and fight the appeal.

I am finding all this to be some kind of stitch up. How can they quote this version it is like saying the consumer credit act is now rewritten by Waksman

some cmc s say you still need the original to enforce and some say not that a copy will do who do you believe

There is more to it than that though according to my CMC. They issue based on prescribed-term breaches and/or unfairness regardless of the signature. They say it is folly to issue based on the lack of a sig doc and to be fair have said this since day 1.....rocky I have pmd u.

In my opinion (and that is all it is) a judge might allow a copy in the following circumstances

1. It's a small claim where strict rules of evidence do not apply.

2. The creditor has some persuasive argument as to why they cannot produce the original, but can produce a photo- or microfiche copy, e.g. fire damage. A good barrister might even succeed in persuading the judge if it has just been lost.

3. The judge hates debtors and would send them to prison if he could.

4. **** happens.

I do not believe any judge should ever accept a reconstructed agreement in place of the original, but that doesn't mean that one won't at some point.

RMW

I am now lost just thought the above was an interesting version on the Fountain Court chamber website.

Former member of the Fountain Court chamber in the Temple was Waksman.

I suggest you read the judgement yourself. It may take some time and effort, but judgements are nearly always logically presented and can be followed by someone without any legal knowledge. There is a link somewhere on this thread but I don't have time to look for it just now.

For the record, my reading of the judgement is that a reconstructed agreement is fine to comply with a request under s77-79 of the CCA, and failure to provide/have a copy of the original does not prevent enforcement up to the issue of proceedings. This has no effect whatsoever on what is needed to enforce an agreement in court which remains the original agreement.

RMW

reallymadwoman. I have read the judgement till I am blue in the face.

The interpretation you state is also my own interpretation.

I was just very surprised to read this version on a Chambers website especially Fountain Court chambers . Because of it`s connection with the case.

If this is the hymn sheet they all sing from then we shall have problems. I just do not understand their interpretation.

Edited by jonoh1
typo

This is the quote from the Fountain Court legal website QC .........

Bankim Thanki QC and Andrew Mitchell act in credit card test case

On 23 December 2009 the Mercantile Court in Manchester handed down judgment in a test case arising out of the numerous requests for information under the Consumer Credit Act made by claims management companies seeking to avoid liabilities incurred by their clients under credit card agreements. The Court held that agreements could be enforced in circumstances where a copy of the original agreement signed by the customer could not be produced by the bank. The Court also struck out claims against RBS and Barclays Bank. Bankim Thanki QC represented RBS and Andrew Mitchell represented Barclays.

The judgment of HHJ Waksman QC is cited as Carey v HSBC [2009] EWHC 3417 (QB).

This is not how I understand Wakesman`s judgement. This seems to indicate a much broader judgement than 77/78.

I thought that the original was required both for CPR and enforcement by a DJ. This statement above is like saying that the Consumer Credit Act is not worth the paper it is written on.

If these are the QC`s version of Wakeman then what chance have we.

It seems the cost situation is to put people off fighting. Poor judgements, appeals all add up to a great lunch ticket for the legal bods.

Looking at the Humbleman case If everything was so good for the consumer I would have thought that some CMC would have taken this on for free and fight the appeal.

I am finding all this to be some kind of stitch up. How can they quote this version it is like saying the consumer credit act is now rewritten by Waksman

Re the quote concerning the QCs, as this has been put out by their Chambers, its not really all that surprising that its spun out as far as is possible. In fact the way they use the word"enforceable" is very misleading. What s78(6) actually says is this - "If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;"

Thus what Waksman's judgement allows is for lenders to continue to enforce even when, faced with a s78 request, they send no more than a reconstituted agreement. Now lets reflect on what that means. It means - if we put it into 78(6) above - that with a reconstituted agreement a lender will be entitled to continue to enforce the agreement. They will be able, for instance, to phone you up at all hours, to send you threatograms - the whole arsenal (sorry gooners! :smile:) of attack that they have. But none of this is to say that it WILL be enforced in court.

Waksman is consistently clear that he is working from the Copies Regulations. He says at para 64 "It is accepted that the Agreements Regulations govern the form and content of the executed agreement signed by the debtor made pursuant to s60, and that the Copies Regulations, made pursuant to si80, govern the form and content of copies to be provided under the Act. For the avoidance of doubt I consider that the reference in si80 (2) (a) to the "prescribed form" and "prescribed requirements" is a reference to the requirements imposed by the Copies Regulations, not the Agreements Regulations. The only prescription as to form made in connection with s78 is the general requirement in Reg. 2 that the copy should be "easily legible"."

THIS IS ABOUT S78, though I am sure the banks et al would like it considered to be more widely applicable and to use the possibility of sending out blue peter jobs to allow enforcement in its widest sense, whereas it does no more than to allow them to continue their enforcement practices even if they cant come up with an original agreement.

A whole lot depends here on what you mean by enforce - calls, letters yes almost certainly. At court, while I see RMW's point, it shouldnt

I am now lost just thought the above was an interesting version on the Fountain Court chamber website.

Former member of the Fountain Court chamber in the Temple was Waksman.

Can I get away here with a quick and heart felt FFS! :-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x bearing in mind - for the benefit of those who havent looked at the case - that the two being lionised on the Fountain Court website appeared for RBS at Manchester.

Agree with you SFU. I think what I am trying to say is that I am surprised by the level of spin.

Also some of the very interesting connections.

I do not understand how the Humbleman case was enforced yesterday on our understanding of the Consumer Credit Act. Surely should be an appeal.

Ever case on it`s merits. Surely at some stage even the level of possibility must swing against the banks.

Re the quote concerning the QCs, as this has been put out by their Chambers, its not really all that surprising that its spun out as far as is possible. In fact the way they use the word"enforceable" is very misleading. What s78(6) actually says is this - "If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—(a) he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;"

Thus what Waksman's judgement allows is for lenders to continue to enforce even when, faced with a s78 request, they send no more than a reconstituted agreement. Now lets reflect on what that means. It means - if we put it into 78(6) above - that with a reconstituted agreement a lender will be entitled to continue to enforce the agreement. They will be able, for instance, to phone you up at all hours, to send you threatograms - the whole arsenal (sorry gooners! :smile:) of attack that they have. But none of this is to say that it WILL be enforced in court.

When a DCA makes endless phonecalls day and night, that may be harassment, and conduct answerable to their licensor the OFT. Unless the DCA arrives with the muscle boys or demand entry like bailiffs, hard to see where "force" comes in.

Enforcement is exclusively for the court. Only a judge can legally enforce an agreement. The only thing a plaintiff can do about enfocement is to aim for it. The rest is merely attempted collection. Right or wrong the McGuffick judge's ruling was that attempted collection need not be preceded by a court verdict confirming enforceability.

Indiscriminate use of the word "enforcement" by both sides is appalling.

Agree with you SFU. I think what I am trying to say is that I am surprised by the level of spin.

Also some of the very interesting connections.

I do not understand how the Humbleman case was enforced yesterday on our understanding of the Consumer Credit Act. Surely should be an appeal.

Ever case on it`s merits. Surely at some stage even the level of possibility must swing against the banks.

Do you not understand how the case went against Humbleman - go to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/130101-humbleman-hfc-weightmans-court-21.html and see post 413's first four or five lines - JUDICIAL PREJUDICE, judge on an ego trip. Yes he must appeal, and there is a list drawing up on that thread promising contributions to the costs. I would encourage everyone to contribute, as its only by demonstrating to the judiciary that we not only have the nerve but the wherewithall to fight back that this sort of calumny will be reduced if not ended altogether.

And whatever either side say, the general rules of evidence still apply to documents produced in court.

Can this statement be supported by a legitimate source - preparing for a court case next weerk and want to be able to quote general rules of evidence rather than the balance of proabilities (in the fast track). Thanks

When a DCA makes endless phonecalls day and night, that may be harassment, and conduct answerable to their licensor the OFT. Unless the DCA arrives with the muscle boys or demand entry like bailiffs, hard to see where "force" comes in.

Enforcement is exclusively for the court. Only a judge can legally enforce an agreement. The only thing a plaintiff can do about enfocement is to aim for it. The rest is merely attempted collection. Right or wrong the McGuffick judge's ruling was that attempted collection need not be preceded by a court verdict confirming enforceability.

Indiscriminate use of the word "enforcement" by both sides is appalling.

Yes, see your point. But as Waksman was dealing with the consequences of not being able to produce the original (or copy thereof) agreement, I still think we have to understand the use by Fountain Court in the context of s78. They can do a reconstruction and that removes the lender "is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;" In my view it goes no further than that. If the rules of evidence dont apply then the British legal system really is up the creek

For the record, my reading of the judgement is that a reconstructed agreement is fine to comply with a request under s77-79 of the CCA, and failure to provide/have a copy of the original does not prevent enforcement up to the issue of proceedings. This has no effect whatsoever on what is needed to enforce an agreement in court which remains the original agreement.

A reconstructed agreement having been ruled by the judge as sufficient compliance with CCA request, the inference from that ruling is that a reconstituted agreement need not necessarily correspond with the real agreement, if the latter is in future found and presented in court to effect legal enforcement. This drives a coach and horses through the compliance with CCA S77-S79?

If a debtor wishes to predict the true probability of his agreement being enforceable in a CCJ hearing, he cannot safely rely on the soundness of the reconstituted CCA. He will need to wait until the CCJ lawsuit when he can demand discovery of the evidence due to be presented against him.

Creditors with their barrister will surely tumble to this angle sooner or later. When they do a CCA obtained re S77-S79 would be neither here nor there. Creditors need only pretend an agreement is misfiled, to send out one deliberately so reconstituted as to look clearly unenforceable. If the debtor misled by a false sense of security goes into court he may then be faced with a very different and obviously enforceable agreement.

But why would they do that? First of all, even Waksman talks about the need to produce a "true copy" - they cant just start sending out what they know is a tissue of lies and then present the real thing in court. That is going to stink to high heaven in due course. But - and this is the main point - why would they delay getting their money by having to go through court? Why not do a reconstruction so solid in terms of prescribed terms etc that the debtor sees no option other than to pay up? Even if they know full well that they dont have the original - or worse that they do have it and know its non-compliant.

The point is though;

the creditor cannot just send out a reconstituted agreement, if he has nothing to base the agreement upon!

The inception T&C's form part of a credit agreement, as well as the terms as varied.

Anyone could make a credit agreement by using a John Bull printing set;

however, without the correct T&C's, this would be worthless.

Yes, see your point. But as Waksman was dealing with the consequences of not being able to produce the original (or copy thereof) agreement, I still think we have to understand the use by Fountain Court in the context of s78. They can do a reconstruction and that removes the lender "is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;" In my view it goes no further than that. If the rules of evidence dont apply then the British legal system really is up the creek

Again, I believe the confusion arises from loose terminology. Only a judge can use force (via the bailiff and police). The only force civilian creditors can employ is guns and knives and sticks. Turning up on the doorstep would be the most profound nuisance and possibly against OFT guidelines depending on circumstances. Any attempt to force entry into the house would be a breach of criminal law. Apart from that I cannot see how creditors can "enforce" except in court (via CCJ, Charge Order, bailiff).

The phrase "is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;" ceases to be a bone of contention if it is less ambiguously rephrased as:

"is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement in court"

I do not see how Joe Public is being deprived of protection by the law of evidence. If any money-lender came to me demanding repayment of debt and I have never heard of him before, I will go to the police on a case of fraud and demanding money with menaces. I will certainly seek damages. All that will be based on physical evidence that I never borrowed money from him.

Taking the issue further;

S78 states: ...and any other document referred to in it"

There is also the issue of s18; multi-part agreements!

In that scenario, not only would they have to provide the inception T&C's and Terms as varied, but also the PPI documents including the inception Terms of that PPI.

Anyhow, that is my take on the matter.