Claim Stayed – Due to Unenforceable CCA Test Cases.

Blondie40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I seem to remember reading at some point - though heaven only knows where - that a creditor's response to a s77-79 request is subsequently binding upon them. If it is binding, how would that affect them suddenly producing a 'proper' agreement later on, especially if it went to court?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

guys, i did not cite sec 172.. paulwilton did.. and i asked him to expand upon his point, as i was not aware of it.

i copied and pasted the first thing i found on it.. the green writing.. was hoping paul was going to give us more on his point of view.

Sorry, I was off line when you posted (don't post when i've been on the sherbert) but I think 3 (b) would be relied on as suggested by the main man and Shadow.

Edited by paulwlton

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. <br />

Winston Churchill

I seem to remember reading at some point - though heaven only knows where - that a creditor's response to a s77-79 request is subsequently binding upon them. If it is binding, how would that affect them suddenly producing a 'proper' agreement later on, especially if it went to court?

My understanding that mistake is a defence under the Consumer Credit Act - if pleaded. Similarly, to commit an offence (now repealed) for breaching time limits the creditor would need to be in repudiation....just my view.

Winston Churchill

guys, i did not cite sec 172.. paulwilton did.. and i asked him to expand upon his point, as i was not aware of it.

i copied and pasted the first thing i found on it.. the green writing.. was hoping paul was going to give us more on his point of view.

Sorry, I was off line when you posted (don't post when i've been on the sherbert) but I think 3 (b) would be relied on as suggested by the main man and Shadow.

"3(b) the statement or notice is shown to be incorrect, the court may direct such relief (if any) to be given to the creditor or owner from the operation of subsection (1) or (2) as appears to the court to be just."

One wonders how the creditor could show their previous notice is "incorrect" and seek just relief under this section by anything other than producing the original agreement.

"3(b) the statement or notice is shown to be incorrect, the court may direct such relief (if any) to be given to the creditor or owner from the operation of subsection (1) or (2) as appears to the court to be just."

One wonders how the creditor could show their previous notice is "incorrect" and seek just relief under this section by anything other than producing the original agreement.

Don't forget we're talking about a mistake pursuant to a request made under sec 78 and this may be satisfied by supplying a recreated copy even if they hold the original agreement.

Winston Churchill

also.. they can correct a mistake

but trying to totally supersede previous disclosure with new docs that have little in the way of connection to the original disclosure would be seen as a clear attempt to falsify evidence.

Nope, thats a simplistic view I dont think will be upheld with the latest rulings, if a creditor sent say last year a set of terms and conditions which doesnt now meet the minimum level of response granted by this ruling then they IMO they can serve another correct reconstructed s78 response and take the claimant to court, in proceedings they would ask that they would be granted relief on just the fact that the requirements are now laid out in case law, with the judges seeming to turn pro-law would you bet against them getting said relief of a s78 response. [i'm talking where they hold an enforceable agreement but due to a blanket response policy they just sent t&c]

As has been mentioned before s78 is not disclosure, its a true copy which has been further diluted by this ruling... the only saving grace appears to be where the terms have been varied which basically must be all credit cards prior to 2007 as rates/credit limits have change.... and thus these changes must come with the original agreement, whether that means all copies of changes must be sent with the reconstructed agreement or the "original" agreement is another matter however...... IMVHO.

Don't forget we're talking about a mistake pursuant to a request made under sec 78 and this may be satisfied by supplying a recreated copy even if they hold the original agreement.

Yep, absolutely agree... it would be now very dangerous to assume they have nothing enforceable just because they send t&c that are personalised as they have now met their burden of s78 according to this ruling.... so long as the terms have never been varied.

S.

and thus these changes must come with the original agreement, whether that means all copies of changes must be sent with the reconstructed agreement or the "original" agreement is another matter however...... IMVHO

Classic grey area and good point to illustrate how legal arguments are formed because if I were defending in court I would argue this along with CPR 7.3 that states the original copy must be produced I would deny ever signing anything with PTs and have obtained copies of the OC other agreements whether relevant or not that showed applications without PTs in my witness statement just to prove that they didn't always have the PTs in applications

Its then up to their barrister to prove otherwise and hope that the DJ has an open mind

Live Life-Debt Free

"... Bennion and his masterful act really are true champions for the consumer".

Well Done, Baggio !!! and Well Done Mr Bennion !!!

There's much ado about nothing on these threads without an informed read of the background to the CCA - it's remarkable that it exists in the first place and people fail to realise its true significance For example, much of the common law opposition comes because the CCA represents only the 4th class of agreements that must be evidenced in writing to be enforceable at law, after,

1 Contracts regarding the sale or interest in land, etc

2 Insurance contracts ("of utmost good faith" must be demonstrable), and

3 Marine Contracts (obviously where boundaries are traversed)

I suggest that peeps reflect on the enormity of the background to Parliament's decision to add CCA contracts to this privileged class of agreements. There had been far too many suicides where people "did the right thing" where, free of statutory controls, the banks changed their minds over verbally agreed terms and took steps to repossess the family home - which, interestingly had invartiably been properly documented as security for the unwritten agreements ..... Think about it folks before condemning Bennion !!

Keep the faith - as Dr Vernon Jones (Martin Luther King's mentor) said,

"If you see a good fight - get in it!"

John Story smilie.gif

www.ruinedbynatwest.com

...... And I repeat that soliloquy to those who make statements about the Act's intention without having first read Crowther's Report

"Consumer Credit - Report of the Committree" [Command 4596]. A fascinating read that goes to the root of your valued contributions, Baggio.

Properly observed, the Act serves both sides of the fence people refer to.

Edited by ruinedbynatwest
typos

Hi

I think the reasoning behind the section172 scenario is that, say you requested a copy in order to facilitate another transaction say to settle the loan with other finance, you then base your calculations and actions on the information supplied in the copy (settlement figures etc.)

In a case like this i think section172 would stand and the creditor would rightly be the one to suffer. But where the copy is incorrect mere,y in a matter of form and only for the purpose of information as defined recently i do not think the court would hesitate in granting relief and accepting the revised copy.

In Fact i know this to be the case because it has been reported on here.none compliant copies have been issued then when compliant ones have been produced in court enforcement has been granted.

Best regards

Peter

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

thanks mate, hope the sherbet is not now causing a painful cranium :p

precisely, they would need to link the original at this junctre...

Nope, thats a simplistic view I dont think will be upheld with the latest rulings, if a creditor sent say last year a set of terms and conditions which doesnt now meet the minimum level of response granted by this ruling then they IMO they can serve another correct reconstructed s78 response and take the claimant to court, in proceedings they would ask that they would be granted relief on just the fact that the requirements are now laid out in case law, with the judges seeming to turn pro-law would you bet against them getting said relief of a s78 response. [i'm talking where they hold an enforceable agreement but due to a blanket response policy they just sent t&c]

As has been mentioned before s78 is not disclosure, its a true copy which has been further diluted by this ruling... the only saving grace appears to be where the terms have been varied which basically must be all credit cards prior to 2007 as rates/credit limits have change.... and thus these changes must come with the original agreement, whether that means all copies of changes must be sent with the reconstructed agreement or the "original" agreement is another matter however...... IMVHO.

Yep, absolutely agree... it would be now very dangerous to assume they have nothing enforceable just because they send t&c that are personalised as they have now met their burden of s78 according to this ruling.... so long as the terms have never been varied.

S.

you may be surprised how many simplistic views have resulted in out of court settlements :)

but as you go on to suggest, and as was outlined earlier in this thread... they key will be the onus placed on the lender to have sent the OC at the time of variation.

interesting times ahead... for "them"

Classic grey area and good point to illustrate how legal arguments are formed because if I were defending in court I would argue this along with CPR 7.3 that states the original copy must be produced I would deny ever signing anything with PTs and have obtained copies of the OC other agreements whether relevant or not that showed applications without PTs in my witness statement just to prove that they didn't always have the PTs in applications

Its then up to their barrister to prove otherwise and hope that the DJ has an open mind

and it would be some task for their barrister to prove otherwise.... if they decide to take up the challenge.

highly unlikely imvho.

S.

Additionally, say for example that you did a s78 request and what they provided were non compliant (for whatever reason) depending on further correspondence, even if the Court enforced the agreement in the creditors favour you may be able to get costs in case as they have now changed there position. But this does depend on what correspondence you the sent.

I also like the ruling in Conniff v Barclays, though this would be easily rectified should they be able to produce the document at disclosure!

Additilonally, should anyone receive a claim form, no doubt the lender will have to state the agreement number etc and when it was entered into in the particulars.

This is a good time way before disclosure and would save costs to ask to inspect the document under the CPR rule. (cant remember the precise number though, think its 31.4?)

Additilonally, should anyone receive a claim form, no doubt the lender will have to state the agreement number etc and when it was entered into in the particulars.

This is a good time way before disclosure and would save costs to ask to inspect the document under the CPR rule. (cant remember the precise number though, think its 31.4?)

31.14 i think

My suggestion (which is all it is) is that should you wish to get costs, when you receive documentation which you may or may not think is enforceable! Write to them asking if the cop enclosed documentation is that in which they would seek to rely on. Give them response time of say 14 days, then when at Court you can say that I gave them the opportunity to state whether this was the documentation etc, etc.

Then some lovely lovely costs will be coming your way, even if your credit card is deemed enforceable.

The disclosure request is a very useful tool indeed.

A "true copy" forwarded under section 77 was the same as the customer's own carbon copy minus the signature. However, some time later, pursuant to a CPR request sent to the Claimant's solicitor's it was revealed that the original signed agreement had been tampered with after the Defendant had put pen to paper.

Guess which High Street bank?

PW

Winston Churchill