• Tweets

• Morning dx and thank you for your message.   With regards to your comment about them not needing to produce the deed, the additional directions ordered by the judge included 'a copy of any assignment o the debt or agreement relied upon'  so that is why I thought that point was relevant?
    • Sorry for the long post but I don't want to miss out any relevant information: My wife bought a car from Trade Centre UK and have been having nothing but trouble with it. Unfortunately we paid of the finance used to buy the car as we weren't expecting this much trouble with the car as we we though we would have protection as buying from a dealer. We are wondering if we can still reject the vehicle since the finance plan has been paid off. Timeline is as follows: 13/12/2023 -15/12/2023 Bought car from Trade Centre UK for £10548 £2000 deposit paid on credit card on 13/12/2023 £8548 on finance from Moneybarn (arranged through Trade Centre UK). picked up car on 15/12/2023 Also bought lifetime warranty for £50/month 25/12/2023 Engine Management Light comes on. The AA called out and diagnosed the following error codes: P0133 - Lambda sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Slow reaction. Error sporadic P0135 - Lambda sensor heat. circ.(bank1,sensor1) Oxygen Sensor. Error Message : Component defective Due to it being Christmas took a few days to get through to them but they booked me in for 28/12/2023 to run their own diagnostics. 28/12/2023 Took car in to Trade Centre so could check the car – They agreed it was the Oxygen Sensor and Booked me in for repair on 30/01/2024. I was told they had no earlier slots, and I would be fine to carry on driving car when I said I was afraid of problem worse. During diagnosing the problem, they reset the Engine Management Light. During drive home light comes back on. 29/12/2023 - 29/01/2024 I carry on driving the car but closer to the date, engine goes to reduced power every now and again – not being a mechanic I presumed that this was due to above fault. 20/01/2024 Not expecting any more problems paid off the finance on the car using personal loan from bank with lower interest rate. 30/01/2024 Trade Centre replace to O2 sensor (They also take it on a roughly 60mile road trip which seems a bit excessive to me – I can’t prove this as something prompted me take a picture of milage when I handed car in but I forgot take one on collection – only remembered next day.) 06/02/2024 Engine goes in reduced power mode again and engine management light comes on – Thinking the Trade centre’s 28 day warranty period was over I booked the car the into local garage for the next day to get problem fixed under the lifetime warranty package. Fault seems to clear after engine was switched off. 07/02/2024 In the Morning, I take it to local garage who say as the light gone off – the warranty company is unlikely to cover the cost of the repair or diagnostics and recommend I contact them when the light comes back on. In the evening the light comes back on and luckily I manage to get it back to the garage just before it shuts for the day. 08/02/2024 The Garage sends me a diagnostics video showing a lot error codes been picked up by their diagnostics machine including codes for Oxygen sensor and Nox Sensors, Accelerator pedal and several more. Video also shows EGR Hose not connected to the intake manifold properly, they believed this was confusing the onboard system as it is unlikely this many sensors would trigger at same the time but they couldn’t be certain until they repaired the hose. 13/02/2024 Finally get the car back as it took a while to get approval and payment for the repairs from the Warranty company. Garage told me to keep an eye the car as errors had cleared with the hose but couldn’t 100% certain that’s what caused the problem. 06/03/2024 Engine management light comes on again. Fed up I go into Trade Centre as I was just around the corner when it happened and asked them how to reject the car or have the problem fixed. They insist that as it’s over 28 days I need to get the car fixed under the warranty package I purchased and they could no longer fix the car as it was over 28 days. When I tried telling them it appeared to be the same or related problem they said they couldn’t help as I hadn’t contacted them earlier. I asked them if they were willing to connect the car to the diagnostics machine and tell me what the problem was, as a goodwill gesture, which he agreed to do and took the car to the back He came back around 30 minutes later and said they took a look at the sensor they replaced previously and there was nothing wrong with it and engine management light went off when they removed the sensor to check it. When I asked what the error code he couldn’t give me an exact fault but the said it one of the problems I told him earlier (Accelerator pedal). I have this visit audio recorded on my phone – I informed the reps I was recording several times. As the light wasn’t on, local garage couldn’t book me for a repair under warranty. 07/03/2024 Light came on so managed to book back into local garage for the 12/03/2024 Whilst waiting to take car into garage, I borrowed a OBD sensor and scanned for errors on the car. This showed the following errors: P11BE – Manufacturer specific code (Google showed this to be NOX sensor) P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow 12/03/2024 Took car to local garage and the confirmed the above errors. This leads me to believe that either Trade Centre UK reps lied and just reset the light or just didn’t check properly (Obviously I am unable to prove this) 22/03/2024 Finally got the car back as according to garage, the warranty company took a long to time to pay for the repairs 28/04/2024 Engine management Light has come back on. Using the borrowed OBD scanner I am getting the following codes: P0133 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Response too Slow P2138 - Accelerator Position Sensors (G79) / (G185): Implausible Correlation I have not yet booked into a garage as I wanted to see what my rights are in terms of rejecting the car as to me the faults seem related. I can’t keep using taxi or train to get to work every time the car goes into the garage as it is getting very expensive. Am I right in thinking that they have used up their chance to repair when they conducted the repair end of January or when they refused to repair it in February ? If I am still able to reject the vehicle could you point to any sample letters or emails I can use. Thankyou for your advice on my next steps.
    • Ok noted about the screenshot uploads. In terms of screwing up I had one previous ticket that defaulted and ended up in a CCJ from Southend airport because for some reason during COVID I didn't receive their claim form just a notice of default. This hospital ticket was the 2nd ticket that went to CCJ due to a lack of knowledge of the process. Maybe it's easier just to pay them in future I'm thinking though, I don't get them very often anyway
    • Car maker takes a hit from weakening demand and price war in the world's largest electric vehicle market.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Served with S21 Requiring Posession

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ni NewSAHD,

Well I'm not up to speed on my tenant's precise circumstances, not that it is any business of mine anyway, but her elder child is now aged circa 21 whilst the youngest is 18.

Last I heard her elder child was having difficulty finding work, had words in McDonalds, a shop, etc. whilst her younger child, I believe, is continuing in education beyond 18 y/o.

It is a 3 bedroomed house and there are 3 people living in it and occupying all 3 bedrooms, mum and 2 kids.

It could be, I have experiences of this myself, that they are only paying the rent equivalent to a one bedroomed abode but it's all deteriorated since the younger child passed 18, it's that factor that has caused this situation.

If I recall when the elder child turned 18 council payments dropped and my tenant has been making up the deficits as and when she can, but now the younger child has turned 18 well the council are only paying circa 60% of the rent and this is simply not enough for her to make up the deficits.

My tenant has also mentioned that she's getting council tax bills, sounds unusual as housing & CT benefits normally go hand in hand, wonder if this is CT for her children rather than her, I'll ask her.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ni NewSAHD,

....I'll ask her.

Hi, seems a ludicrous situation for you and she (and the children, even if they are "adult" children) to all find yourselves in.

Fortunately, perhaps, you are on good terms with her, so at least you and she can explore as many avenues as you can - as you already are of course!

And, on a slighter bright side, if she approaches other landlords who can assist in some way (although not sure how others could help at this stage) she can, perhaps, provide a decent reference from you too...

As for me, happy to help out. I am not a Landlord, but I have been in the past. I am not an Agent, but I have been in the past. I am, therefore, a has been, so always seek independent and suitably qualified advice elsewhere before relying upon whatever has been posted here :-)

Thanks Planner,

So an S21 to evict at the end of the tenancy or, once 2 months in arrears, an S8 at any time and providing 2 months notice, yes?

No, a section 8, which is technically a contract breach, requires only 14 days before you start court paperwork.

They won't be relevant for you right now, but these are the grounds you can start a s8 for - they all need 14 days notice except for ground 14 which is immediate...

Housing Act 1988 (c. 50) - Statute Law Database

Just a thought, and I know NADA about housing benefit...

IF council have reduced rent payable to tenant because she is no longer responsible for the children, then presumably the council would agree that the children are responsible for a proportion of the rent.

In which case, they should be able to get housing benefit (unemployed / student) to help cover their housing costs.

Maybe a joint tenancy with all 3 would result in sufficient benefits coming in? Or give 3 separate ASTs for 3 rooms with shared facilities. Same principle as a HMO but without the rules because they're all the same family.

Snorkerz,

Once I thought about the CT earlier, that is was for her children, then it occurred to me regarding them getting such benefits.

But ..... in the days when I was young, yes I can still remember :) , and I was on the rock'n'roll I recall an attitude that if I was living with my parents then all I received was basic unemployment benefit (JSA), it was my parents responsible to support, provide for, me and if my parents couldn't afford to do so then they needed to apply for benefits which, in this scenario, puts us (my tenant) back to square one whereas DHSS have cut her benefits.

I would imagine my tenant has, if still applicable, been through the motions of this however I'm definitely going to point her in the direction of this thread, already there is so much information here and perhaps some information, suggestions, that may not have occurred to her.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Hi People,

I was around here last year regarding a different matter, my tenant has now vacated my property and I have moved in to renovate, tart it up, to sell.

During her tenancy my tenant fell in to arrears with her electricity and the utility company installed a prepay electric meter, as my tenant's tenancy was coming to an end I instructed her to arrange for the meter to be removed upon the end of her tenancy.

She got back to me that the utility company would not remove it upon her behest, clearly because they have a standard policy that once such a meter has been installed they cannot trust to individual to pay other than by prepay, and they required that I contact them to have it removed, this I did and was told that I needed to pay £50 for it's removal, I argued, getting nowhere and subsequently proceeded with a county court claim against the company for the cost of it's removal, I am changing to an alternative utility company who charge £125 to remove it.

Now I don't want to get in to what was in my tenant's TA whereas she may have to meet such a cost, my tenant vacated with rent arrears, she's fallen on hard times but having been my tenant for 11 years we're sorting that out amicably, my argument is that the installation of that meter was an arrangement between that person and the company, it had nothing to do with me, and if payment is required to remove it then it is between those two parties to deal with it directly and not to involve and third party(s), me!

The utility company claim it is standard policy that the person entering a property where such a meter is installed is the one financially responsible for having it removed, to me this sounds ludicrous because had they removed it on her final day of tenancy she would only have had the opportunity to 'steal' perhaps 50p of electricity!

They are defending my county court claim quoting their terms & conditions, can anyone please advise if they believe I am in the right, or not, to continue with the county court action, to the effect, that their terms & conditions are between them and my ex tenant and are nothing to do with me ..... or?

Thanks

Hi People,

I was around here last year regarding a different matter, my tenant has now vacated my property and I have moved in to renovate, tart it up, to sell.

During her tenancy my tenant fell in to arrears with her electricity and the utility company installed a prepay electric meter, as my tenant's tenancy was coming to an end I instructed her to arrange for the meter to be removed upon the end of her tenancy.

She got back to me that the utility company would not remove it upon her behest, clearly because they have a standard policy that once such a meter has been installed they cannot trust to individual to pay other than by prepay, and they required that I contact them to have it removed, this I did and was told that I needed to pay £50 for it's removal, I argued, getting nowhere and subsequently proceeded with a county court claimlink3.gif against the company for the cost of it's removal, I am changing to an alternative utility company who charge £125 to remove it.

Now I don't want to get in to what was in my tenant's TA whereas she may have to meet such a cost, my tenant vacated with rent arrears, she's fallen on hard times but having been my tenant for 11 years we're sorting that out amicably, my argument is that the installation of that meter was an arrangement between that person and the company, it had nothing to do with me, and if payment is required to remove it then it is between those two parties to deal with it directly and not to involve and third party(s), me!

The utility company claim it is standard policy that the person entering a property where such a meter is installed is the one financially responsible for having it removed, to me this sounds ludicrous because had they removed it on her final day of tenancy she would only have had the opportunity to 'steal' perhaps 50p of electricity!

They are defending my county court claimlink3.gif quoting their terms & conditions, can anyone please advise if they believe I am in the right, or not, to continue with the county courtlink3.gif action, to the effect, that their terms & conditions are between them and my ex tenant and are nothing to do with me ..... or?

Thanks

Hi Martin,

I take it that any money owed by your tenant has now been paid off through the prepayment meter?

I'm not too familiar with Meter Exchanges to be perfectly honest, but I do know that for example if you switched the energy to certain companies under your own name, then they would switch you over as a prepayment customer; once on supply they would allow you to switch to a credit meter. If I remember correctly, they do this for free providing that a credit check comes back as acceptable, and if not you pay a deposit which is returned after a period of time, but no specific exchange charges - then again this may not apply under certain circumstances!

Which supplier is it that you are switching from?

Hi Handy,

The supplier in question is E-On.

I prefer not to involve myself regarding if my tenant remained in arrears with E-On or not because my stance is that it has nothing to do with me, i.e. at the time my tenant was vacating then E-On had a responsibilty, as per the customer's request, to remove that meter.

OK I am the property landlord/owner but I could be a new tenant, one who has always paid bills on time and with an excellect credit reference, one who has never signed nor agreed to any contract with E-On, so why the hell should I be financially penalised £50 for another's poor payment of bills?

I'm just reading E-On's terms & conditions, pertinent to this situation, that they have forwarded to me, already I think I have the b@stards because it starts off, under definitions:

You/Your - the person or people who have entered into the contract with us.

Well anything written thereafter isn't applicable to me because I hadn't entered in to contract with them at the time they insisted I pay them £50 and whilst they remain the current supplier to this property, for another few weeks, I haven't agreed nor signed any contract with them.

Am I correct?

When your tenant left you took over the occupation of the property. You will remain the occupier until you vacate in favour of new tenants.

You have a deemed contract with EON while you are the occupier. There are not many signed contracts these days because deemed contracts work very much in the utility's favour and are cheaper to administer. EON do not need to have a signed contract with you. They can rely on a deemed contract which you entered into as soon as your tenant left and you became the occupier and used the service which I am sure you have done when inspecting, decorating,repairing and showing around prospective tenants.

I think you will find that EON are likely to be right that they can insist that if you want to change back to a credit meter they can make a charge on you as the current occupier. I do not think you will win a court case.

The charge should fall on your previous tenant through you not through EON. Your tenant has made a material change to the property by allowing a prepay meter and it is up to her to return the property as she found it when she took up the tenancy. If you decide to retain the prepay meter make absolutely certain it is not set to collect your previous tenant's arrears which certainly 'have nothing to do with you.'

Deemed contracts make a significant difference to landlords. Because your new tenants will probably not do this is is wise for a landlord to inform the utility of the name of the new tenant and meter readings when your new tenants move in and likewise when they move out. That way you will pay the minimum for sevices during the inter-tenancy period. and there will be no arguments over estimates and who owes what.

Pelham,

Thanks but one point I believe I am correct in saying is that any terms & conditions of a tenancy agreement between a landlord and tenant have got diddly squat to do with any utility provider and such a provider, as much as they like to involve themselves, should mind their own business.

My point is that those two parties entered in to a contract/agreement regarding a prepay meter, I have read E-On's T&C's and because that meter was installed due to a debt then they were never going to remove it whilst that customer remained the customer thus it was always, by E-On's T&C's, going to involve a third party, and at cost to that third party, to have it removed.

The meter was installed during 2005 and surely, if it was then known that this would involve three parties, then that contract/agreement should have been agreed by all three parties yet that would have not been feasible because, back in 2005, it couldn't be predicted who the next occupier of the property would be.

Now, 5 years later, I find myself implicated in a contract/agreement of 5 years ago!

And, my ex tenant and I both requested the removal of this meter some weeks before I occupied this property, at that time I was not using E-On's services thus I was not their customer and since using their services it has been under protest having previously demanded the shifting of their meter.

why are you so against the PPM? the price is the same as paying a quarterly bill on the standard tariff on demand?

The other option is contacting your supplier for your home address to change the supply at the rental property into your name, they will then most likely change it for free

nottslad,

Who pays standard tariff?

I shop around and for recently signing up with Scottish Power I receive, just for signing up, £130 cashback, now you tell me a PPM that gives out £130?

But, I'm selling this house and I want, as most potential purchasers would want, a standard meter.

The rental property is now, no longer rental, my home address, this is what the whole fiasco is about, they demand that I pay £50 to remove a bad debtor's PPM and they refuse to ask nor allow that bad debtor to have the meter removed even though that bad debtor is no longer resident in the property!

well it's not exactly a necessary meter exchange. Some companies will remove it free, before leaving my previous employer, eon, PPMs would be removed free for existing customers if they moved home, hence suggesting asking your supplier at your current property to take the supply in the rental home and they may then remove it for free

Pelham,

Thanks but one point I believe I am correct in saying is that any terms & conditions of a tenancy agreement between a landlord and tenant have got diddly squat to do with any utility provider and such a provider, as much as they like to involve themselves, should mind their own business.

My point is that those two parties entered in to a contract/agreement regarding a prepay meter, I have read E-On's T&C's and because that meter was installed due to a debt then they were never going to remove it whilst that customer remained the customer thus it was always, by E-On's T&C's, going to involve a third party, and at cost to that third party, to have it removed.

The meter was installed during 2005 and surely, if it was then known that this would involve three parties, then that contract/agreement should have been agreed by all three parties yet that would have not been feasible because, back in 2005, it couldn't be predicted who the next occupier of the property would be.

Now, 5 years later, I find myself implicated in a contract/agreement of 5 years ago!

And, my ex tenant and I both requested the removal of this meter some weeks before I occupied this property, at that time I was not using E-On's services thus I was not their customer and since using their services it has been under protest having previously demanded the shifting of their meter.

I don't think you could have got a agreement between 3 parties anyway.

The agreement to supply Electric and Gas is just between the utility supplier and tenant.

If the tenant leaves with a debt,its up to the utility company to chase that debt,a new tenant would have to prove they are not the old tenant to the utility company or go to another utility company for a supply

you could get a tenant moving in who has debt from a previous address and the utility company can fit pre payment meter at the new address to recovery the previous debt and current charges,a LL couldnt stop that

I'm afraid the LL or new tenant will be stuck the pre payment meter for sometime to come.

This is just some information i found to do with LL who wanted to stop a tenant from changing utility company

Guidance on unfair terms in tenancy agreements (September 2005) - The Office of Fair Trading

Right click on this link http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/unfair_contract_terms/oft356.pdf and save as to your desktop,its 127 pages

On page 113

Its is Potentially unreasonable restriction

Unfair term

Way of revising term

[The tenant must not] change the utility supplier without the landlord's consent in writing.

Edited by 45002

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Hi People,

Forgot to ask,if your selling up is a pre payment meter going to affect the price of the house or stop anyone from buying ?

Pointless trying to get the meter removed,i would just sell up and leave it at that.

Please use the quote system, So everyone will know what your referring too, thank you ...

Pel

You wrote " When your tenant left you took over the occupation of the property. You will remain the occupier until you vacate in favour of new tenants.

You have a deemed contract with EON while you are the occupier. There are not many signed contracts these days because deemed contracts work very much in the utility's favour . . . "

This is well written and does present a strong argument. My question is, when it is a LL taking keys back from a vacating tenant, does he necessarily take over 'occupation'? Clearly in the real world the expectation would be that the LL is just a LL and he lives elsewhere at his private family residence, and it is not a natural concept that he occupies more than one property.

Are you saying, in the same way as he is deemed to assume the old tenant's uitility contracts, that ( legally ) he is deemed to be the occupier?

When your tenant left you took over the occupation of the property. You will remain the occupier until you vacate in favour of new tenants.

You have a deemed contract with EON while you are the occupier. There are not many signed contracts these days because deemed contracts work very much in the utility's favour and are cheaper to administer. EON do not need to have a signed contract with you. They can rely on a deemed contract which you entered into as soon as your tenant left and you became the occupier and used the service which I am sure you have done when inspecting, decorating,repairing and showing around prospective tenants.

I think you will find that EON are likely to be right that they can insist that if you want to change back to a credit meter they can make a charge on you as the current occupier. I do not think you will win a court case.

The charge should fall on your previous tenant through you not through EON. Your tenant has made a material change to the property by allowing a prepay meter and it is up to her to return the property as she found it when she took up the tenancy. If you decide to retain the prepay meter make absolutely certain it is not set to collect your previous tenant's arrears which certainly 'have nothing to do with you.'

Deemed contracts make a significant difference to landlords. Because your new tenants will probably not do this is is wise for a landlord to inform the utility of the name of the new tenant and meter readings when your new tenants move in and likewise when they move out. That way you will pay the minimum for sevices during the inter-tenancy period. and there will be no arguments over estimates and who owes what.

A follow up question.

The following is a standard clause in many AsT's :

'Not to make any alterations to the property, without the prior written consent of the landlord.'

Does permitting the change of a standard meter to a pre payment meter, in the absence of landlord's consent, constitute such an alteration?

Edited by marksmiles
another question

What has this got to do with whether or not it constitutes an alteration?

If the old tenant had cemented in a pair of Doric columns lifted from the British Museum into the wall of the sitting room, whether for fun or in pursuit of wanton destruction, that would prima facie constitute 'an alteration' even though it was not the LL's property.

No, because the meter does not belong to the landlord.

The point is this forum may offer useful guidance to those who suffer from other people's deeds or misdeeds.

In the absence of any authority, or comprehensive discourse on the subject, it seems to me that one short sentence constitutes an offer of an opinion, which some may choose to consider, others may choose to ignore.

No, because the meter does not belong to the landlord.

Pel

A follow up question.

The following is a standard clause in many AsT's :

'Not to make any alterations to the property, without the prior written consent of the landlord.'

Does permitting the change of a standard meter to a pre payment meter, in the absence of landlord's consent, constitute such an alteration?

The meters are property of the utility companies and a LL has to allow them to be fitted or changed as there is a duty to supply gas or electric to the tenant.

So it would not constitute a alteration.