Mobile phone bought from Phones4U question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5386 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The handset is still classified as 'new', mainly because the handset hasn't been in active use. Think of how many times along the production and logistical line that box has been opened the handset assembled and powered on and tested.

But how would you have liked to pay £400 for a phone that DIDNT work?

Granted the sales rep should have told you that the handset was powered on and tested. However its just bad customer service.

I know this having worked in mobile phone retail for 3 different networks.

I think "new" means not used / activated between being sent to the shop and bought by the customer.

And as for paying money for a phone that doesn't work, just what do you mean exactly? If it doesn't work, then it's a refund or replacement. Simple as.

I was referring to the fact that the handset working in the first place would prevent any hassle or problems in having to return to the store where bought and having the hassle of having it replaced

Not everyone backs up contacts or lives next door to a store where they bought something.

It shouldn't be sold in the first place if it's not working.

Would you be happy buying a bottle of wine from the supermarket only to see the checkout staff have a swig of it to make sure it's OK?

What the company should do is have test models of the phones which they will not sell (the actual test phones, that is), let the customer have a play with them and if they are happy, then be given a brand new one that has not been touched.

If it doesn't work or is faulty, well that's for the seller to sort out. You can't wrap people in coton wool and that is not what is being asked of here.

Well, now that things are calmed down a little, I'll post another question related to this.

Whenever I get a new phone, I do not power it until it has been on charge for 24 hours. I do this to help combat the "memory effect". Memory effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Could it be argued that P4U have lowered the expected battery life or damaged the battery by turning the phone on?

No. The 'memory effect' only applied to Ni-Cad batteries. The new range installed in phones is either Ni-Mh or other variant, which have no memory effect, so this argument wouldn't stand up.

Dunno about the technicals, but it comes down to the description given to it - new. It isn't. It's as simple as that.

So you say.

You'll be saying next that an M&S jumper couldn't be classed as 'new' because a few people might have tried it on before you.

Is this still rumbling on?

Let me see if I can get us back on track.

Here's a question for the OP - have you tried contacting them to see what they actually say about all this? You may be surprised :p

It shouldn't be sold in the first place if it's not working.

Would you be happy buying a bottle of wine from the supermarket only to see the checkout staff have a swig of it to make sure it's OK?

What the company should do is have test models of the phones which they will not sell (the actual test phones, that is), let the customer have a play with them and if they are happy, then be given a brand new one that has not been touched.

If it doesn't work or is faulty, well that's for the seller to sort out. You can't wrap people in coton wool and that is not what is being asked of here.

Nice one, gyzmo. That is a great analogy :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D