• Tweets

• god they've got at you haven't they. told you all the usual utter BS. a CCJ vanishes from your credit file on it's 6th B'Day regardless to being paid off or not or paying or not. same with any debt with a registered defaulted date - it vanishes from your file on the DN's 6th B'day regardless. creditfix are Knightsbridge, (they renamed) there are 100's of threads here on Knightsbridge, if i remember rightly 2 of the directors of a certain very big IVA provider were struck off for embezzling £1m's out of debtors. pers i'd stop paying now.  end of . just ignore them all. 99% of your debts are to utterly powerless DCA's and probably were never owed in the first place only goes to firm up my belief from post one..you got had blind. its very easy to deal with the debts even those with CCJ's. can you copy and paste what you credit file says regarding the IVA please?   
    • Sorry I meant credit fix - I really wish I'd known this before - kicking myself right now  If they come back to me asking for more money I'll cancel it and start trying to deal with the debt myself let's see what they say  Feeling tempted to cancel it now but scared that some of the debts will do more CCJ's on me and I'll have to wait 6 years again.  2 of the CCJ come of this year and then I'll only have the iva in credit file - effectively if I'd have not took out the iva in 2021 I'd have clear score by now - but then again would I because I would have been hounded the last 3 years, as bad as it is it's saves me lots of headaches whilst my debt was still within the 6 year mark.  I think most of them are near there but in all honesty no point chasing them if I do cancel iva I'd jjst wait for the ones who contact me and then start the relevant letter process on them.  Of over 6 years easy if not still possible to write off. My true victory would be having the iva wiped off my credit file as mis sold or something that way I Don't have to wait till 2027 Other option is to fight back and ask for them to offer the creditors to accept payments so far and use the following method    Will your IVA firm agree to complete your IVA on the basic of funds paid to date? The Guidance lists a lot of factors to be considered in deciding whether a settlement on the basis of funds paid to date should be proposed. You should read the list. But that may not give you any feel for whether they apply to you or not. The following are my thoughts on when an IVA should be treated as settled, not failed. They assume that you have £75 or less to pay a month: if you would currently qualify for a Debt Relief Order, then your IVA should be settled now  There is no point in making your IVA fail and you have to apply for a DRO – it will not generate another penny for your creditors. If you are renting and owe less than £50,000, check the DRO criteria now and talk to National Debtline on 0808 808 4000 about whether you qualify. You may have been told at the start of your IVA that you aren’t eligible – still check now as the DRO criteria have changed, your situation has got worse, and some people were given incorrect information about DROs at the start. if you have no assets that would be realised in bankruptcy (eg a house with equity, car worth over £2000), then your IVA should be settled now Same as (1), there is no point in making you apply for bankruptcy after your IVA fails. if your only asset is a car that is worth less than £8000, then your IVA should be settled now A car that is worth say £5000 would normally be sold in bankruptcy and you would be given a small amount to buy a cheaper car. But your creditors would not get any benefit from this as the Insolvency Service takes the first £8000 raised to cover its own costs. if you have significant assets, the closer you are to the end of the IVA, the less reasonable it is to fail it If you have been paying your IVA for 4 years, you have done your best over a long period. It isn’t your fault you can no longer continue. The fact you may have had equity to release isn’t relevant as that simply isn’t going to be possible. if your situation will clearly improve soon, then it’s unlikely your IVA will be settled I mean real improvements, not hoping that prices fall. If I can get them to accept payment to date or threaten with cancellation hopefully they may accept it -  Other option is to try and borrow money and pay make a full and final offer  Or I can just ignore and hope for the best which I'm very tempted to do especially if they respond to my review with bullying tactics despite me being skint as a fart with no mortgage as renting  It's so stressful but I've just checked the iva agreement from 2021 and it's Cabot 2 accounts Lowell about 5 accounts and then lots of repeats of the same debt with for example zopa and Cabot same amount listed twice -  also loyyds banks but I'm sure that's older than 6 years and not on credit file anyway  If I can somehow remove the iva from my credit file I'd be happy 
    • India has one of the world's fastest growing economies but the benefits are yet to fully reach the poorest.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

£10,000 Electric bill for 8 years

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pelham, again, I am in agreement with you and as an employee find it extremely frustrating when there is little that i can do other than get the customer to run the relevant tests that I have had to take upon myself to work out from experience. The results I then have, I pass on, but once I have passed that on I am not allowed to follow up to see if it has been resolved as I am there to take calls only. The first people you all speak to are glorified receptionists who will forward all info or calls to the relevant department. Admittedly, not all call centre staff are clued up (had my own experience today where I had to call in to work to get my tariff changed and had to talk the guy through how to do the simplist of jobs after he told me I would need a meter exchange to come off E7!!!) I find that discouraging and can see why people on here get upset and angry and refer to call centre staff as monkeys.

As a point of interest EDF insisted that I change my meter when I came off E7. I had been on a different tariff via an E7 meter for years with Eon, but EDFs’ position was that without a meter change I would have to be on E7.

I pointed out this had not been the case with Eon but they advised me quite sharply that they were not Eon and other suppliers do things differently.

Its wrong though as I barely use electricity at night during the summer so shouldnt have to pay a premium for my day usage. I pointed this out to them. In the end he got his manager for me, even though I hadnt requested it, who said it was not a problem. Incidently I also work for and supplied by eon so knew they were able to do it, but the frustration was that I had to talk him through the screen over the phone. How many people had he turned around and said no to previously?!?!?!

I know with EDF they had/have an E7 tariff that meant you had to have one of their own meters installed, and if you wanted to change supplier you would have to have it removed and would be charged £50 for this.

Clare, just shows how inconsistent the advice is (not just from EON. I read for many companies - although being based in East Anglia, EON is the dominant supplier for electic). In my work as a meter reader, I come across plenty of customers that have a meter with two readings but being billed on single rate prices. It can be done quite simply - if the employees know what they are doing! Indeed, it makes sense to have a meter with two readings because if the customers circumstances change or someojne else moves in, E7 may then be the best tariff and having this kind of meter installed already means the supplier does not have the extra expense of going out to fit an E7 friendly meter.

In response to the OP (God, they seem remote - this thread seems to have rather gone off the subject!), I think the best solution is that suppliers should physically go around to a property to disconnect the supply when someone leaves (I believe they did this in the distant past). Would get rid of any disputes - to obtain elecric supply (or gas, for that matter) the new occupier would have to then contact the supplier (or perhaps some kind of company that deals with the supply network) to reconnect the power. Of course, this would rely on an efficient and accurate database to be in place so that people knew who the previous supplier at a particular address was. Oh well, here's hoping for some kind of utopia...

I still stand by my previous threads though. The OP has clearly made virtually no effort to inform anyone that they are living at an address and are using electric. They should not be allowed to take advantage of the system. Granted, the systems in place should be more effective - I do not dispute that. However, the OP has admitted quite openly that they have taken advantage of the system and yet have pleaded that their bill should only be backdated for the last year! This is, I feel, absolutely non-sensical and should not be allowed. I am not saying they should be forced to pay the arrears in one go - a long-term payment arrangement should be negotiated. But they should have to pay for what they have used!

There is no inkling that the customer is vulnerable in any way = they have just taken advantage of the situation.

Maybe I am getting on my soapbox here, but Great Brirtain as a nation seems to have lost amy understanding of the notion of common sense. Someone uses electric (or any other kind of good), they should pay for that usage. The suppliers do not help the situation by appearing to be remote, ie: targets set to answer so amny queries within a set time period, who cares how accurate the answers are? - lets get the customer off the phone as quickly as we can ( I sincerely hope my supplier Ebico are an exception to this mantra). However, that does not invalidate the main point.

I struggle to pay my bills. I do manage but I don't earn wads of money. I am not some kind of privileged individual that can feel smug enough to declare that I can not get paid by my employer for six months or so and yet still pay all my bills (ie: some kind of "liberal" Guardian reader). I do sympathise with people that have been genuinely let down by the systems and hopefullly, some comments I make (when i have the knowledge required) can help them in getting advice that will really help them. However, I do not want to help people that are clearly abusing the system. The OP was quite clear in the fact they had been abusing the system, yet then asked for help in trying to manipulate the system so they only had to pay one years worth of charges!!! They should not be entertained in my opinion.

I don't want to sound like a long -playing record but I do want to make my point here!

Pelham definitely has some valid points. In particular, he/she seems to have done all they can to resolve the situation, unlike the original poster. There has to come a point when no more! That is totally different sitauation to that outlined by the original OP. That should not be emphasised enough!

It is not an us against them situaton. It is the right thing to do. This is such an important point but virtually no-one seems to bear this in mind!!

I just hoipe the courts still have the sense to bear this in mind -0 assumint his case goes to that stage...

Mattlamb, I can understand some of the points you make too, and being on the other end of the phone taking calls every day from people who are desperately trying to pay their bills and struggling and those that dont bother and then want the amount to be written off and get away with it, I get that and how wrong that is to try and wriggle out of it . But as Pelham says, if the systems were in place then all this could be avoided. Its not right that someone should get that amount of fuel free, that is pretty outrageous to even expect it, and I doubt very much he will have to pay all of it, but will have to pay a fair amount. There are people out there who have a conscience and will keep on trying to find out who is supplying and maybe even putting some money aside knowing that sooner or later, they WILL catch up with you.

Thanks Clare. You are right - I know that some people worry so much about what will happen to them if they don't pay the bills. A cursory glance at some threads on this website will show this to be true. My job demonstrates how some people worry about this -even though it is quite clear to me they are being overcharged. I just wish the electic suppliers between them could sort out a system to clamp down on freeloaders and in addition support those who genuinely need the help. Its the all right Jack sociey we live in, unfortunately.

I would also advise anyone with an E10 meter to keep a close eye on their bill. It is impossible for us meter readers to tell which reading is which on the machines when we enter the readings after inspecting the meter. The 3rs reading should be Ok, but it is quite likely that the other two readings have been mixed up in my experience. We never know which way round those readings have initially been entered on the computer records.

A pity really -= cos E10 is theory an excellent tariff to be on if you have electric storage heaters. Pity only EOn amonst the main suppliers seem to recognise the tariff.....

Pelham, I agree, the system is unfair, particularly to those who live in new build properties and have attempted to find out who is supplying their fuel to no avail. I am not by no means making an excuse for the suppliers because I am an employee, but imagine this. A builder gives you a stack of papers, one with meter serial numbers, one with address's and plot numbers, then drops the stack, shoves them all together and hands them over. I see this on a daily basis, people calling in trying to find out who their supplier is, not always having the right info ie not knowing what the plot number is of their property, not knowing what their meter serial number is and then failing to call back as promised really doesnt help. As a supplier, we need the customer to give as much information as they can. IF the supplier can still not be found then unfortunately it takes time to investigate, not 8 years I grant you and it takes someone to keep coming back and harrassing the supplier to investigate for anything to be done. But it works both ways if someone does honestly want to pay their bill, and if the case is that someone does not call back with the relevant information, remember we are not mind readers, it will not get followed up until maybe a change of meter reading agent. the Billing Code of Practice IS there to protect people and does on a daily basis, but will not help those who sit back and do nothing about it until the bill drops through their door.

As a supplier, we along with all other suppliers were sent a notification about new builds and then each energy supplier could put an offer in to install new metering. It was the up to the developer to accept our quote or not. This would then effectively lock in the metering to our company until the premsies were occupied. In the meantime all charges would eb passed to the developer. We found this to be effective and simple so I do not understand how metering can go missing. Our worst nightmare as an independent supplier was requesting EMEB MOPs to install metering as invariably they would mess up and leave it to us to sort out but either way we still had records

Clare, just shows how inconsistent the advice is etc...
But you still haven't said why you feel that it is wrong for the customer to get away with his outrageous behaviour and why it is right for the company to get away with their outrageaous behaviour. If you want to define things by a right or wrong approach, then you have to be consistant.

I mean, you are taking a moral stance when it is simply not realistic: What if OP instead of being upfront with us, said that he had spent umpteen amount of times on hold trying to contact the company, written over and over again and been ignored and finally gave up in despair? Would that then be ok with you? What's the difference?

The code and the law are there for a reason: to stop companies which already have the upper hand to take undue advantage of the consumers. The code had to be brought in due to abuse of the companies, not of the consumers and to force them to get their house in order. If they still can't manage this, then that's their tough luck.

On a different note, I agree that if meters were to get turned off when a person leaves and turned back on when new ones arrive, it would make things a lot simpler. That's how it is in France, and until your power has been restored, then you don't have power and that's that. Avoids all kind of complications. ;-)

On a different note, I agree that if meters were to get turned off when a person leaves and turned back on when new ones arrive, it would make things a lot simpler

This always was the case in this country too.

To do things in a sensible way is fairly expensive. The utilities would again have to arrange for people to be available to got to properties probably twice to get old and new readings and switch off an on. This would entail keeping appointments!! or even an emergency switch on service. We could have proper written contracts instead of nebulous deemed contracts.

To save money they have stopped doing this and say that this is a benefit to customers - ' you can rely on utility services as soon as you move in'. It must be that they save more money by not providing this simple service as against the money they lose under the billing code. So when they changed the system they would have already costed in the loss on this OP's account.

There is one other point. Those moving in especially to first properties often do not know that it is imperative to read meters and confirm the occupation to the utilities. Many all their lives have simply turned on a switch or turned a tap and just do not know the responsibilities that our utilities place on them. No wonder many get it wrong.

Even prior to working in the utilities it was common sense for us to read the meter on leaving a property and on taking possesion of another. After all, electgric and gas is not free. It is my opinion, that some people bury their heads and hope that they will never get a bill but when they do and it is high, they start screaming, however by the same token utility companies should be monitoring usage a lot closer. The way around this is to have a SMART meter fitted which always shows the utility exactly how much power you are using!

If you contact any supplier, they will become your supplier and fit a SMART meter. The point is that they will know your reading on the date you left the premises as they will have a record of the reading on that date eve if you don't tell them when you leave. that is why it si called a SMART meter.

How will they know the reading on the date a consumer left if they don't know the date the consumer left? It can only tell the supplier information about the meter, not information about the customer (well, I'm assuming that is the case anyway - and as with any machine - rubbish (information) in, rubbish (information) out). I am suspicious about SMART meters becasue in my view it will mean electric suppliers will become ever more complacent and think that the technology can get them out of trouble. And it seems judging by some threads I've seen on this website that electric suppliers still set incorrect prices on keymeters (which are a type of SMART meter in a way) and seem incapable of solving the problem without a whole lot of hassle on the customer's part.

Smart meters and Smartmetering are two totally different meters and are not related at all except for reads. If olyu leave a premise and only notify the supplier several months later of the date, they will be able to give you the read on that day. SMART meters use digital technology like a mobile phone to send a data package to a supplier once a month . This will show the consumption for each day at a specific time which is why they can tell what the reading was on a specific day.

And the OP has not added anything to the thread ever since their original post! Even before I started contributing to the thread (and that some way in).

I will stress that the OP has only ever made contact with their supplier once SEVERAL YEARS after they moved in. And that was only ringing an automated telephone line to give the supplier their reading after getting a call-back card put through their letterbox. They did not give the supplier their name or details of when they moved in - the original post makes this clear. The OP wonders how the supplier got hold of their name. I would suggest some p*ss*d off neighbour or local in the pub gave the supplier the details (after no doubt hearing the OP's witty story about getting away with not paying anything for their electric). I would also add that the OP has stated the actual meter reading is less than what the supplier has billed for. So the estimate is in the OP's favour! Stands to reason - if you are not paying any bills, you are probably very slap-dash with how much electric you are using. £10 000 seems an awful lot of money but if you don't have to pay for your usage, you will use your electric as much (and more) as you want.

Edited by mattlamb

I stand corrected - the OP did add one further post.

And it would appear that the neighbour has given a representative of the supplier the OP's name, although the neighbour is denying they did this.

So in response to Bookworm's post - the supplier is perfectly entitled to send the OP a bill, estimated or not. That is all they have done - so far.

If the OP does not respond, they are quite entitled to send further letters or even apply to the courts for a warrant (at the OP's expense) to get access in order to read the meter or disconnect the electric. The estimated bill only takes account for the period from when the OP phoned in the reading up until the current time (the OP has outlined this).

The supplier has been slap-dash in finding out if anyone was living at the address and using electricity. I don't think anyone can dispute this. However, that is all they have done wrong. What is this nonsense about it being immoral to send a bill to the OP? The supplier are, belatedly, doing their job!!!!

Edited by mattlamb