• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Default notices and charges included in them

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5405 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks for that - I'll get the scans up so you can actually see if I've got any mileage with this:)

Also though, I thought I'd have a quick look at my credit report, and it seems that egg too have defaulted before allowing me to remedy (I really can't see how they can do this, as the notice states nothing will be done until after x date), and Cabot, the cheeky feckers, defaulted me not only without issuing any DN, but a full TWO MONTHS before goldfish apparently sold the account (going on their sod off letter and Cabot's hello one!):mad:

I have also noticed though that the default from Lloyds doesn't appear on the report. I'm a teeny bit bummed about this, as they are my biggest debt by a long shot, and recently as a 'gogw' (thanks for that btw lloyds - doesn't quite cut it when you lost us our home though!) cleared the arrears as I am on a payment plan. I was hoping this termination on the back of a dodgy DN would give me the possibility of an out.

Thanks again

Lexis:)

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

Just wondering about the above...

When it's said that if charges are included on a DN, what exactly is meant by that?

Is it that if you have had a charge at all on the account, at any point during the life of it, that the DN will technically be ineffective as it will not be a true balance?

or

Does it need to specifically include a charge in the arrears? What I mean by that is, for example, that you have missed one payment of £10, but when you get the DN it states the arrears as £22, as they've added a late charge etc?

If it's the former, surely pretty much everyone would have ineffective defaults as if you've got to that stage you are likely to have missed/been late with payments?

If it's the latter and you've missed a few payments, is it simply a case of totting up what the statements say you'd have needed to pay, and then seeing if the arrears match up more or less correctly?

If anyone can explain it to me I'd be a very happy bunny:D

Thanks

You could put that in an argument....but a lot of this comes down in the end to how a judge sees it....you could apply the below to the default notice too potentially...

The Defendant denies that he is liable to the Claimant as alleged in the Particulars of Claim. It is averred that the Claimant has failed to serve a Notice of Assignment in accordance with section 136(1), of the Law of Property Act 1925, in respect of the alleged debt. The amount detailed in the Claimant’s claim, which is likely to include penalty charges, which are unlawful at Common Law, Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company Ltd v New Garage and Motor Company Ltd [1915], under The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Accordingly, the inclusion of penalty charges in the purported Notice of Assignment renders it entirely legally unenforceable. The Claimant has failed to comply with section 136(1) of the Law of Property Act 1925, by furnishing a Notice of Assignment in respect of that which is denied, that is inaccurate, W.F.Harrison and Co Ltd v Burke [1956].

This possibly for the default note...

• Notwithstanding the above points, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

• Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

Hi Lexis:)

Thank you for asking this question as it's one that I am also dying to know the answer to!

In fact I'm certain I did ask it myself on more than one occasion, but never got a satisfactory answer.

Trouble is, if (as in the case of my OH with MBNA) you have been paying an irregular or reduced amount each month, even if you have all your statements (which OH doesn't) it becomes very hard to determine how much should be on the DN as actual arrears.

Anyway, hopefully someone will have a definitive answer and we'll both be happy bunnies:D

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Whoops, 42man posted his response whilst I was still thinking about mine:D

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

• 2 months later...

Hi all

I have the possibility of some money that may enable me to offer f+f's to our creditors.

Some have enforceable CCA's, most do not, and a good proportion of both the haves and have nots have issued rubbish DN's.

Some I have been having ding dongs with for a long time, others I've not really done anything other than requesting CCA's.

I'm wondering what the best way to go about making offers is. I know the bits about making sure it's offered in someone else's name, see if you can get any bad markers included in a deal (this is important for us), and start low and see if they bite. What I really need to know is how to approach them.

One for instance has an ok agreement, but have cocked up on the DN/termination. All I have done is ask for the SAR, and I've not mentioned the DN (which happened a couple of years ago) at all yet. So, with them would I just ask politely and see what happens, or would I be a little stronger, tell them they've made a big mistake by terminating after their faulty DN, and this is what I am prepared to offer?

With another they've got nothing in the way of an agreement and have cocked up on the DN/Termination. I've been battling with them for a year with neither of us budging, and my last correspondence was telling them to sod off (or words to that effect). How do I then come out of that to make them an offer?

I have others in various states, so really I'd just like an idea of how to proceed. Ideally if anyone has made offers that have been accepted I'd love to know how you went about it.

I do know that without agreements and with DN's that have been issued/terminated incorrectly I really don't need to be paying them anything. The thing is that we've had a very rough couple of years and would really like this all put to bed with the least trouble possible. I also do not wish to set foot in a court if at all possible, so really don't want to have to go that route to have them declared unenforceable (where applicable!). If this means paying them a little even though they are not entitled to it, then for us it is worth it if we do get this bit of cash.

Any thoughts/tips/tales-of-how-you-got-on would be very appreciated!

In a similar position as you lexis, u may want to keep tabs on my thread titled Is it good news...?

I want to make an F&F offer to a creditor who has failed to provide a CCA at all in three months....

I'm afaraid I can't offer any advice though, as we are both in a similar predicament..

Hi Lexis,

Won't give you any advice on this as I have been scr**ed over by Natwest/Triton. Did partial settlement on an account which was never on CRF's they have now entered details and put a default which shows as being after the account has been settled & closed:mad:

I'm sure you know this already, but what every you agree with them make sure that you have it all in writing, preferably with their blood:p, lock it in a safe (but not a banks) and be certain that you have everything covered so that you know it's finished and over with.

All the best:)

Hi joemay

Sorry to hear about Natwest - doesn't surprise me but still annoys me every time I see anything like it:mad:

I'll give the blood signature a go, but failing that I'll try and knock up a letter that's as watertight as possible. I'm half wondering about getting a solicitor to knock something up for me. Of course seeing as most of the banks have never seen a proper contract it might give them a bit of a shock if I send one in to them to sign:D

I've just checked my Equifax report and in looking at my defaults I've seen that the 'default date' on 2 or 3 of them is a month after the big ol' 'D' was placed on my record.

Is this normal?

Hi joemay

Sorry to hear about Natwest - doesn't surprise me but still annoys me every time I see anything like it:mad:

I'll give the blood signature a go, but failing that I'll try and knock up a letter that's as watertight as possible. I'm half wondering about getting a solicitor to knock something up for me. Of course seeing as most of the banks have never seen a proper contract it might give them a bit of a shock if I send one in to them to sign:D

:lol:

Hi joemay

:lol::lol::lol: