• Tweets

• Hi Guys, well a year on and my friend has just received this in the post today, obviously a little scared so looking for more of your advice.  Letter from the NCC dated 1-May-2024 is as follows.......   Before deputy district judge Haythorne sitting at the national business centre, 4th floor st Kathrine's house Northampton Upon reading an application from the claimant  it is ordered that  1. The claim be sent to the county court at #### (Friends local Court) Because this order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed.  A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this order.  If the application is one which requires a hearing, and a) the party making the application is the defendant: and b) the defendant as an individual, then upon filing of the application the claim will be transferred to the defendants home court.  In all other cases requiring a hearing the claim will be transferred to the preferred court.    As a result of an order made on the 1 May 2024, this claim has been transferred to the county court at ##### (friends local court) 
    • I am heading over to hers tomorrow so I will find out.  Will there be something written in the agreement or does it depend on the agreement its self ? Just so I know what to look for, so I can provide as much information as possible on here. 
    • The answer to this is going to depend on what the agreement your friend signed says. Or contact the housing provider and ask them.  
    • Thank you all for the responses, to answers a few questions  - she has had the car since Jan 23 on a 5 year term.  - She is unsure what the agreement is called, but at the end she has the option to make a payment to "buy" the car - she recieves benefits for her young children alongside the ssp (normally she would be on NLW for a 16 hr a week job)  - Yes she would like to keep the car  She has not responded to the last email from them asking her to call and it'll be followed up in an email. I told her to hold off until atleast Wednesday so I can read a few posts on here and get some more information.  I will ensure she follows up with a letter, that has not been signed but instead her name written.   Thank you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

if you are relying on the "21 days" instead of a specific date i am afraid you will be dissapointed as it is more the likely that this would be accepted by a judge

Absolutely in agreement with you DD.

I'd personally also assume that if the only thing wrong with a DN is that the underlining isn't right or it isn't bold where it should be (or something similarly minor), then that will also in all probability not cause the creditor a problem. It should if the letter of the law is to be followed, but I wouldn't be basing a case on it.

If there isn't an issue of not enough remedy time (whether set by a date or a 'pay in x days' format) or incorrect balance/arrears, imho the rest of it won't be considered by anyone but the most old school of judges.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all

I have a quick question.

I have written to all creditors for the default notice & termination notice and they have written back to state they do not have to legally provide these documents as they are not legally obliged to retain copies of Default notices.

Can someone advise as to what my response should be

Many Thanks

Johno

Guest unicorn4321

hi received dn on the 20/03/2008 with a remedy date of 06/04/2008

just checked my credit report and it says default date 20/03/2008

is this right?

I think they're right. They have to keep details of when they were sent (not sure if they have to also note what service was used to post them?), but unless you SAR them for the info they don't have to give it to you.

It's because the DN's are generic templates and they'll just stick your details onto it, so there won't in all likelihood be another copy other than the one they say they've sent.

I'd SAR them for it and hope it's been included in your file notes, but I suspect the best you'll get if you do that is a date that it was sent.

Time flies like an arrow...

Fruit flies like a banana.

hi received dn on the 20/03/2008 with a remedy date of 06/04/2008

just checked my credit reportlink3.gif and it says default date 20/03/2008

is this right?

You wouldn't think so since if you remedy the breach in the permitted time then things should be as if the breach never happened. However creditors routinely place defaults (as opposed to notification of a DN) on your file even before a DN is sent. Might be worth a complaint to the ICO.

So sometime ago I received one of MBNA's classic Default Notices demanding the full balance of the account instead of the arrears. I understand how this is contrary to s87/88 (the only breach being the failure to make repayments to schedule) and how termination following the invalid DN being repudiation of contract, but I cannot translate this into what is frequently said that this means the full balance is therefore noncollectable, only the arrears.

Where or what is the legal argument for this?

You have a credit agreement that allows you to borrow money and repay it over time subject to agreed T&Cs. If you miss payments the agreement will allow the creditor to demand those arrears. However money not yet due cannot be demanded early without breaching the terms of the credit agreement.

To secure early repayment the creditor must end the credit agreement. If he ends it without following the correct procedures, e.g. with an invalid DN that doesn't give you time to remedy, then that is unlawful rescission which, should you accept it, will prevent a court from enforcing repayment.

Any arrears will still be due, though, since they were due under the original credit agreement.

Guest unicorn4321

DONE defence in :grin::grin:

Can i just say a big thank you to all who have helped me if i had not found this site i would not have had the nerve to stand up to these bullies.

And after having so many sleepless nights worrying and even contemplating moving house the relief is just fantastic and looking back now it really wasn't as scary as i first imagined.

So if anybody is having any doubts about fighting back get stuck in, the people on here are so freindly and very helpful.Once again thank you and i will be donating.

Can't wait for round two BRING IT ON :p:p

So sometime ago I received one of MBNA's classic Default Notices demanding the full balance of the account instead of the arrears. I understand how this is contrary to s87/88 (the only breach being the failure to make repayments to schedule) and how termination following the invalid DN being repudiation of contract, but I cannot translate this into what is frequently said that this means the full balance is therefore noncollectable, only the arrears.

A creditor cannot claim entitlement to the benefits of s87 of the CCA unless he first serves a valid DN pointing out the alleged breach and giving the debtor the opportunity to remedy the alleged default.

If the DN is defective and the creditor demands entitlement to the benefits of s87 (demands immediate payment of sums not yet due under the agreement) then he is unlawfully repudiating his obligations (to allow you to pay monthly) and which is the major benefit of the agreement to the debtor.

the creditors unlawful actions then give the debtor the right to choose either to hold the creditor to the contract or to accept his unlwaful act and consider himself released from the contract - at which point the contract or agreement effectively ends.

the agreement cannot be re in stated unless both parties agree.

therefore the creditor is ONLY entitled to the amount of arrears on the account that were outstanding at the time it was unlawfully terminated.

These are the arrears of payments that were already due and should have been paid by the debtor BEFORE the creditor unlawfully repudiated and for which he still has a claim (these were not sums that were not yet due under the agreement........they were sums that were OVERDUE to be paid)

against which the debtor may make a claim for damages against the creditor for his unlawful repudiation (which typically may be four figures)

A DN which demands the whole amount of the account in order to remedy the DN (unless the whole amount is comprised of outstanding arrears) is however in a class of its own

it is in fact an absolute act insomuch as the debtor is unable to lawfully comply with it and so the intent and purpose of the DN as prescribed by parliament (to give the debtor the chance to put things right and carry on as before) .

if the debtor were to pay the full amount demanded- he would then have paid to the creditor those sums which were not yet due under the agreement and therefore the effect of the DN could not acheive that stated in s89 (which is to treat the breach as if it had never occurred and allow the debtor to resume making monthly payments of the sums not yet due under the agreement

Thus the DN cannot lawfully give the creditor the right to claim entitlement to the benefits of s87 and therefore discloses no cause of legal action for the creditor to demand immediate payment of the sums not yet due under the agreement

the creditor COULD in theory amend his claim and sue only for the amount of arrears that were outstanding............but would be foolish to do so since he would then be prevented from starting another action in respect of the agreement at a later date since he is not legally allowed more than "one bite of the cherry"

A creditor cannot claim entitlement to the benefits of s87 of the CCA unless he first serves a valid DN pointing out the alleged breach and giving the debtor the opportunity to remedy the alleged default.

If the DN is defective and the creditor demands entitlement to the benefits of s87 (demands immediate payment of sums not yet due under the agreement) then he is unlawfully repudiating his obligations (to allow you to pay monthly) and which is the major benefit of the agreement to the debtor.

the creditors unlawful actions then give the debtor the right to choose either to hold the creditor to the contract or to accept his unlwaful act and consider himself released from the contract - at which point the contract or agreement effectively ends.

the agreement cannot be re in stated unless both parties agree.

therefore the creditor is ONLY entitled to the amount of arrears on the account that were outstanding at the time it was unlawfully terminated.

These are the arrears of payments that were already due and should have been paid by the debtor BEFORE the creditor unlawfully repudiated and for which he still has a claim (these were not sums that were not yet due under the agreement........they were sums that were OVERDUE to be paid)

against which the debtor may make a claim for damages against the creditor for his unlawful repudiation (which typically may be four figures)

A DN which demands the whole amount of the account in order to remedy the DN (unless the whole amount is comprised of outstanding arrears) is however in a class of its own

it is in fact an absolute act insomuch as the debtor is unable to lawfully comply with it and so the intent and purpose of the DN as prescribed by parliament (to give the debtor the chance to put things right and carry on as before) .

if the debtor were to pay the full amount demanded- he would then have paid to the creditor those sums which were not yet due under the agreement and therefore the effect of the DN could not acheive that stated in s89 (which is to treat the breach as if it had never occurred and allow the debtor to resume making monthly payments of the sums not yet due under the agreement

Thus the DN cannot lawfully give the creditor the right to claim entitlement to the benefits of s87 and therefore discloses no cause of legal action for the creditor to demand immediate payment of the sums not yet due under the agreement

the creditor COULD in theory amend his claim and sue only for the amount of arrears that were outstanding............but would be foolish to do so since he would then be prevented from starting another action in respect of the agreement at a later date since he is not legally allowed more than "one bite of the cherry"

if a creditor sued me for a few hundred pounds and was thereby prevented from legal recourse to several thousand more pounds not yet paid under the agreement- i would be as happy as a pig in sh*t !

Can I ask a question on default charges or penalty charges, being included in the arrears requested in the DN.

Would that make the amount requested incorrect or correct ?

Also if the DN asks for arrears, but has a statement saying if you don't satisfy this DN by such and such a date the agreement will be terminated .. and the noted date expires without you satisfying the DN ... does that mean the agreement has terminated ?

Even if they don't send you a letter actuallly confirming its termination?? Would they legally be able to send you a further DN (again citing termination if you don't satisfy the DN by the given date) and another and another .. you get the picture !!

This might be one for our expert DiddyDicky ?!

Thanks for the gentle correction Dicky .... I've obviously previously been given duff info on this and gladly stand corrected ..... as I said I would be in my post ...

Luckily my DNs have all been very defective and subsequently terminated .... so lucky old me I guess .... !! :D

Thanks dd (and nks).

Got it now!

A reply to stagparty re his NW DN.

I too had a defective DN issued by NW in April (which asked for the total amount owing, insufficient service times and format) followed about 2 wks later by a letter of termination from KPR.

I wrote and accepted the unlawful repudiation to NW end of May - they haven't replied or acknowledged.....

Then beginning of July (about a week after my letter accepting unlawful repudiation) - they sent me a further DN. This time with just the arrears requested, in the correct format, and now giving (you guessed it ...) 21 DAYS for remedy. (which is still dodgy as not a specific date, but that being the only fault it may swing a Judge to accept it, if of course NW have also presented a correctly executed agreement to boot...)

NW have also started to send arrears notices ... as it to try and prove to themselves that the account hasn't been terminated, and the 2nd DN is the valid DN .... plonkers ... !! :p

In my case, and yours by the sound of it , any further DNs they send, can not undo what they have already done ... their unlawful repudiation and termination of the account which has, by their own admission, already taken place. (I have noticed that they haven't yet registered a DN on my credit record, and on internet banking the ccard is stilll live - but if they think that will get them out the s**t they're very much mistaken !!)

The issue of the second DN just shows to the corut, that NW now aware that they send a bogus DN for the account, are trying desperately to back track and fool the customer that the account was never terminated in the first place ......

It seems in our case that the 21 day default notice was issued after we sent our acceptance of their unlawful repudiation .... whether they have changed the actual format of ALL DNs now issued will transpire in coming weeks I suppose when peeps start posting up what they have had from NW ....

You could possibly start a thread asking for peeps who have received a default notice after the start of July what the format is, days for svc etc ....

For me,they have passed to Roxburghe, who will be sent a nice little letter ... ;)

Robin ...

Hi ....

To avoid hi-jacking Pinkys thread with a prob of my own ...

Could I ask the DN experts (the lovely Pinky, Dicky ... and others of course ;)) when they have a few minutes spare, to have a quick look at my thread on a DN that appears ok .. except for one bit ..... my thead is ...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/271280-dn-defective.html

I would be really grateful for guidance and all expertise on this .. !!

With many thanks ...

Robin x

Hi All

Interesting thread.

Does anyone know the contact email addresses for the three credit reference agencies of Call Credit, Equifax & Experian.

Also has pinky loaded up his letter before action letters during this thread.

many thanks

Johno

I don't know them but would have thought you would be able to get them off their websites.

You can search within this thread for anything you are after, just use the 'search this thread' at the top

I'm sorta getting myself in a twist trying to figure out where a DCA stands that has bought a debt after the OC has illegally terminated following a truly defective DN??

The plot thickens - have they bought anything or can they still chase the arrears.

I'm sorta getting myself in a twist trying to figure out where a DCA stands that has bought a debt after the OC has illegally terminated following a truly defective DN??

The plot thickens - have they bought anything or can they still chase the arrears.

Basa48, the way I would approach this is to always tackle the OC first. Settle the status of the matter with them as anything they do during or after a valid legal dispute has been established, has serious implications for everything they do going forward.

For example, if a s77-9 remains unmet, the OC has illegally terminated after a defective DN, and you have accepted this, whether or not they have a valid CCA, they can only ever be entitled to arrears following this, less any counterclaim for unlawful charges + compensation for unlawful repudiation of contract.

If they then sell the debt to a 3rd party and fully confirm this to you in writing, all that happens is that all the obligations of the OC now become those of the new creditor. However, the original OC is not necessarily exempted from any prior breaches under the CCA just because they have now sold a debt on.

By the way the OC is responsible for duly notifying you of any change in your relationship as far as the debt is concerned. Otherwise there is no change as far as you are concerned and they remain liable for any breaches etc.

If a 3rd party claims to have 'bought' the debt and is now the new 'note holder', they have to fully verify their standing to you. Once their standing in the matter is confirmed to you, if infact they are the new creditor they are now fully liable to fulfill all the duties of a creditor under the CCA.

Just my opinion and HTH

The matrix is intrinsically flawed. Within it is the program for it's own destruction. If you are reading this, you are in the matrix and it's days are numbered...so watch out! :eek:

Basa...

it's similar to a situation where a person that has got a defective title in the ownership of car although has possession...but when 'sells' that car to a bona fide purchaser (DCA in this case) cannot pass on good title and the new owner of that car although purchasing the car is saddled with a wothless car and if s/he sells it on it cannot make good the defect.The new owner (DCA) is in shtump!!!

m2ae

I think that they cannnot ''pass on better than what they have''..so extending that reasoning in your case whilst on the back of a defective DN and termination they can only claim the arrears...THAT is what they can lawfully pass on to the DCA...THE ARREARS ONLY...makes sense?

If I am wrong on this then I am sure that someone can correct me but I am simply applying my reasoning from Property Law on the passing on of good title.

I dont think that someone has brought up the scenario that you have..but it is an interesting point..

'Can the purchaser of a debt claim the arrears if the agreement was terminated on the back of an unlawful/Invalid DN by the Original Creditor/Lender

Edited by means2anend
not to cannot

Unlawful passing of account? Invalid DN? Termination? Sounds familiar.

Do what I'm doing if they litigate. You submit a defence, they discontinue and then you counterclaim for unlawful repudiation of contract, injury to credit and a whole load of bits. My hearing is due late October and they're wriggling I can tell you.

More here if you're interested :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/221243-link-financial-check-out.html

BTM

By the way the OC is responsible for duly notifying you of any change in your relationship as far as the debt is concerned. Otherwise there is no change as far as you are concerned and they remain liable for any breaches etc.

I see and read different answers on this subject.

Many state that either the OC or the purchaser can inform you-- others say that you have to be notified of the sale by way of registered post from the OC.

Can someone nail this once and for all?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks