• Tweets

• Please see my comments on your post in red
    • Thanks for your reply, I have another 3 weeks before the notice ends. I'm also concerned because the property has detoriated since I've been here due to mould, damp and rusting (which I've never seen in a property before) rusty hinges and other damage to the front door caused by damp and mould, I'm concerned they could try and charge me for damages? As long as you've documented and reported this previously you'll have a right to challenge any costs. There was no inventory when I moved in, I also didn't have to pay a deposit. Do an inventory when you move out as proof of the property's condition as you leave it. I've also been told that if I leave before a possession order is given I would be deemed intentionally homeless, is this true? If you leave, yes. However, Your local council has a legal obligation to ensure you won't be left homeless as soon as you get the notice. As stated before, you don't have to leave when the notice expires if you haven't got somewhere else to go. Just keep paying your rent as normal. Your tenancy doesn't legally end until a possession warrant is executed against you or you leave and hand the keys back. My daughter doesn't live with me, I'd likely have medical priority as I have health issues and I'm on pip etc. Contact the council and make them aware then.      
    • extension? you mean enforcement. after 6yrs its very rare for a judge to allow enforcement. it wont have been sold on, just passed around the various differing trading names the claimant uses.    
    • You believe you have cast iron evidence. However, all they’d have to do to oppose a request for summary judgment is to say “we will be putting forward our own evidence and the evidence from both parties needs to be heard and assessed by a judge” : the bar for summary judgment is set quite high! You believe they don't have evidence but that on its own doesn't mean they wouldn't try! so, its a high risk strategy that leaves you on the hook for their costs if it doesn't work. Let the usual process play out.
    • Ok, I don't necessarily want to re-open my old thread but I've seen a number of such threads with regards to CCJ's and want to ask a fairly general consensus on the subject. My original CCJ is 7 years old now and has had 2/3 owners for the debt over the years since with varying level of contact.  Up to last summer they had attempted a charging order on a shared mortgage I'm named on which I defended that action and tried to negotiate with them to the point they withdrew the charging order application pending negotiations which we never came to an agreement over.  However, after a number of communication I heard nothing back since last Autumn barring an annual generic statement early this year despite multiple messages to them since at the time.  at a loss as to why the sudden loss of response from them. Then something came through from this site at random yesterday whilst out that I can't find now with regards to CCJ's to read over again.  Now here is the thing, I get how CCJ's don't expire as such, but I've been reading through threads and Google since this morning and a little confused.  CCJ's don't expire but can be effectively statute barred after 6 years (when in my case was just before I last heard of the creditor) if they are neither enforced in that time or they apply to the court within the 6 years of issue to extend the CCJ and that after 6 years they can't really without great difficulty or explanation apply for a CCJ extension after of the original CCJ?.  Is this actually correct as I've read various sources on Google and threads that suggest there is something to this?.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We are coming to the end of our tenancy agreement with an extremely difficult landlady. We have a few issues that we'd love any advice on...

A few weeks back after some heavy rain the ceiling in one of the bedrooms completely collapsed and water was pouring all through the house. As a result one of us got an electric shock from a light switch and the other light switches in the house were live for a day or two. The landlord gave us advise on how to minimise the shock and told us to use a pencil to turn switches on and off!!

The room has been uninhabitable since and one of us has been living in the small lounge since then but still paying full rent. We now have builders in repairing the roof and other walls in the house. This has meant the tenant that works nights has had very disturbed sleep. Also the furniture from the collapsed room is now in someone elses room while they carry out work on the floor boards.

The landlady has offered nothing in compensation for any of this and seems to regard it as a minor inconvenience for us. By the time we leave it will be ten weeks since the ceiling collapsed.

In the meantime she has stated that before we go we must:

Pay for a professional gardener to do the garden

Pay for professional cleaners to clean the carpets (and we must vacate the house about five days before the end of the tenancy so they can do this)

Have all the curtains dry-cleaned

Pay for someone to clean the windows inside and outside (four-story building)

Pay for the house to be fumigated for ticks and fleas because we have kept guinea-pigs which were agreed in the contract (and which have not had ticks or fleas)

We must also clean all the lightbulbs!!!!!!!!

By the way the contract came with a cleaner who comes once a week to do communal areas.

This all seems entirely unreasonable to us.

We know from the previous tenants that she held back £500 of their deposit for a carpet she didn't replace and for the cost of moving the furniture out of the room and then in again of that bedroom...

One of us had their mother and sister to stay for the weekend just gone and she has also stated that they were not allowed to be here...this seemed to come from the builders who told her that there were people living here who shouldn't be!!!!!

This woman has been at the house more times than we can remember....she was even here the day we moved in, literally as we were humping boxes in she was there talking about the house....at that time she talked to one of us about a timer switch which opened and closed the lounge curtain automatically...that person forgot to tell everyone else immediately and I pulled the curtains shut not knowing and broke it. Apparently they don't make them anymore so it hasn't been replaced...I know she is going to charge us for this, can she?

Also the chairs we were given for the kitchen were extremely rickety...people gingerly sit down on them...during the course of the year here two have collapsed and broken just by being sat on....are we liable for them?

This woman is a nightmare...she's coming round tomorrow and we'd like to know if we have any rights????

All help gratfully recieved.

First off sorry to hear your problems, I dont have all the answers for you but.

WTF turn the lights on with a bloomin pencil???

Pencils contain graphite which is a form of carbon and conducts electricity using her advice someone could have been killed!!!

Please tell me she told you that in writing?

If the water damage is as bad as you intimate on here the electricity should have been isolated to prevent someone being shocked end of story

The landlord has to allow fair wear and tear on any items in the house that were for your use so if the chairs were rickety when you moved in it sounds as if them falling apart would be fair wear and tear considering their state of repair initially.

The curtain opener you may well be liable for from the sounds of it as from your own admission you broke it - however saying they dont make them anymore isnt true at all there is a booming industry in home automation but theyre not cheap

Let's Automate. Home Automation, X10 Home Automation, Automation, intelligent Automation, Philips Pronto, CBUS Home Automation, Home Control, Intelligent Home, Intelligent House, Thinking House, Philips Pronto Touch Screen Remote Control, RU890, RU940, RU950, RU970, iPronto, UK Home Automation, X10, AM12U, AM12, LM12U, LM12, IR7243, IR543, TM12, CM12, KR19, MS13, MT10, SL575, PR511, HR10, FD10, Robo-Dog, Marmitek, 890, SBC, RU890, Take Control, Marantz RC5000, RC2000 Mk II, SBC RU890, SBC RU880, homevision, control, X10, X-10, remotecentral, prontoedit, ukhomeautomation, Lutron, infra-red, IR, letsautomate, Clark Synthesis, Sound, Transducer, XCam, XCam2, XCam2 InstantOn, XCam2PIR, Rako, Roomba, Xantech, MK GRID, Trilobite, Tilevision, Bathroom TV, Video Sender, Wireless Sender, Sky Remote Control, Sky+ Remote Control, One for all, Kameleon, Mosaic

As for people coming to stay that to be frank is none of her damn business at all, as long as you pay the rent you can have anyone you like stay with you, you may be obliged to tell the landlord if you have people staying long term but if theyre just visiting for a few weeks then I fail to see why a landlord has any right to that kind of info - invasion of privacy springs to mind.

Cleaning carpets - thats been on my contracts historically ive never done it though

Fleas and ticks - again its on every contract ive had but again ive never done it as I know there were no fleas or ticks (no animals at that time)

Curtains dry cleaned - as above in all my contracts never done seemed ott to me

Cleaning light bulbs - WTF?? sad old moo lol

Garden - my contracts have said garden must be clean and tidy etc never had one say pro gardener reqd

Just before you leave take photos of EVERYTHING showing the place clean and tidy etc for your defence as it sounds like you'll need it

Good luck

Thanks for that Rich!

WTF turn the lights on with a bloomin pencil???

Pencils contain graphite which is a form of carbon and conducts electricity using her advice someone could have been killed!!!

Please tell me she told you that in writing?

Sadly not, but we recorded it on a phone!

If the water damage is as bad as you intimate on here the electricity should have been isolated to prevent someone being shocked end of story

This happened as soon as someone realised there was a problem but didn't realise water was coming through the light swtiches...own fault then i guess

The curtain opener you may well be liable for from the sounds of it as from your own admission you broke it - however saying they dont make them anymore isnt true at all there is a booming industry in home automation but theyre not cheap

Yikes!!! That's a lot of money for a small gadget!!! I take it it doesn't matter that it wasn't generally known about...:(

About the people coming to stay...she has no sense of our privacy...she has also decorated the house whilst we've been here, and on the pretence of coming to look at the painter's work she went into everyone's bedrooms....once she went into a bedroom having been told that someone was in there sleeping!!

The only time we ever siad it wasn't convenient for her to come because no-one was going to be in she accused us of lying...

The contract says we must clean any carpets, bedding and curtains that have bben soiled.....I can see that we may have to do the carpets...but the curtains??!!!

Nothing about windows in the contract....and lightbulbs....isn't that what the cleaner is for!!!

It says we must pay for any damage to the property caused by the guinea pigs...nothing about fumigating...surely she can't demand this when she agreed to have the guinea-pigs and we have stuck to her requirement on where we are allowed to keep them (i.e. on hard floor, no carpets)

We have tried to maintain the garden which is all it says in the contract...we have already paid for someone to do it earlier in the year, it was never very tidy...we have now spent a lot of time sorting it out and it looks better than it has ever done but we know she will complain because no doubt we will have removed some plants that we think are weeds and they won't be...she is NEVER happy...but she can't demand we pay for a pro can she...

As for the room....surely the lose of someone's bedrrom means she must pay back that rent for the time that person has not been able to inhabit that room...and the rest of us have lost a communal area....the contract says she must if there is damage from fire or anything else which she can claim insurance for...i.e. flood damage in this case. We know she is insured and is claiming.

Well, to start off with I would strongly recommend talking to the Housing Standards people at your local council. They can arrange for someone to visit you and decide whether or not the property is habitable or not. If it isn't habitable, she can't really charge you rent on it - I don't think - can anyone else confirm this?

When we had problems with damp in our old flat, we didn't do this and wished we had! External advice & confirmation of the problem might come in handy later on, if you decide to take things further.

Bear in mind, however, that this is fighting talk, so your landlady won't be at all happy with you! Make sure that you have given her adequate chance to sort it out herself before you take this step, as it's a last resort!

Thanks Wendy,

The builders have been repairing the room for the past 3 weeks but we took loads of pictures at the time of the damage to the room. At the time the agancy that half looks after the property came and said it was uninhabitable. The next day when they were phoned they said they had been instructed that the landlady would deal with everything and they were no longer to be involved.

The emergency buiilder who first came round said it was unsafe to be in the room because the rest of the ceiling was not safe, also other parts of the house where there had been a water build up...for example the loft hatch which we walk under was not safe, one of the celings about the stairs...

The room was totally trashed....about a six foot square area of the ceiling collapsed onto the bed...it was not remotely inhabitable. She knows we have pictures...the builders are still here as I write this and apparently they will be doing a ceiling in the room next door as well so that person will have to move somewhere as well eventually...

The most the landlady has said is that she is sorry for the inconvenience but she has always played it like it was absolutely nothing major at all.

Oh, also...

Regarding the rent and it being uninhabitable...does that apply only to the person who's room was destroyed, or to all of us?

We pay £2000 a month for this house...it's a lot of money...

I think it will depend on how bad the situation is. The person from the council will decide whether there is a health risk from living in that environment; i.e. that living with damp / leaks has been hazardous to health.

I would recommend that you talk to someone at your local council for more advice - confirm it all in writing as well, so that you have it on record.

Our council website says:

Rented Homes in Disrepair

Rented Homes in Disrepair

People who rent a home are not usually responsible for its structural condition and general repairs, unless this is specified in the lease. There are certain standards that a rented home must reach.

If you are a tenant and you believe your home is in disrepair, you should first write to your landlord to ask them to assess the problem and take action to rectify any defects.

If your landlord refuses to fix a defect within a reasonable time period, despite being asked in writing, you should contact us and an officer will arrange to inspect the property. The officer will inform the landlord about defects they found during their inspection and ask them to carry out any necessary works within a certain timescale. If the landlord fails to do this then we can serve a notice requiring repairs to be carried out within a specified timescale. If the landlord does not comply with the notice then the Council may carry out the works and recover costs from the landlord.

First off I would write to her asking her for all the rent back for the person whose room was uninhabitble and half for everyone else (she won't do it but you have to open discourse sometime), be nice about it point out that that room was uninhabitable and that the rest of the house was disrupted by builders.

Now whilst the builders were in did you by any chance notice your electricity bills go up? Claim for that as well from her.

If she has been coming round unnanounced you should point this out also and tell her that she legally has to give you 24hrs notice and that it has to be at a convenient time.

She won't give you anything back (knowing landlords) so then issue her with a letter before action stateing all the reasons - house in disrepair, disturbance by builders, extra electricity costs, harassment by her.

Finally take the old witch to court - you will really not make her day with that one.

As to seeing your deposit, alot of landlords see it as a kind of bonus and come up with the most rediculous reasons (friends got charged £150 8 years ago by a university for keys being cut - no locks changed just everyday keys) if again you take her to court and prove you left the property in a decent state then she won't stand a chance (also for future ref - take pics when you move into a property and make sure they're dated - send them to yourself in a sealed envelope).

If she claims the property is not returned in a fit state, then if the cleaner was part of the rent then claim money back from her as the cleaner wasn't doing their job properly.

If you stay calm and play this right you will get money back and your deposit whilst really winding the old bat up.

Few other points - how many of you were living there and did you check that the property had a gas safety certificate?

Maybe I'm talking gonads again, but surely some of those could be classed as renovations, which under the Housing Act are to be completed entirely at the landlord's expense under all circumstances (no increase to rent, no deduction from deposit, etc.)?

HSBCLloyds TSBcontractual interestNew Tax Creditscoming for you?NTL/Virgin Media

Never give in ... Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy. Churchill, 1941