• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NatWest and Shoosmiths

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5378 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not a problem Lifesontheup they really are quite devious arnt they but once you know what you are looking for, all becomes quite clear.

Have you recieved a copy of Shoos AQ?

With their Application have you recieved a copy of their WS for SJ?

If you get chance it would be interesting to see the above less your F i Ls personal details of course.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is my father in laws Section I statement

If the court is in agreement, the defendant respectfully requests that special directions may be given as per the attached draft order.

The defendant proposes these directions in mind of the Overriding Objectives, and in particular the duty of the parties to help the court further them. The issues outlined below are the crux upon which this claim rests, and the proposed directions identify these issues and will allow them to be assessed in advance of the hearing so that this claim may proceed justly and expeditiously.

Without production of the requested documents, I am at a disadvantage and am unable to serve a full and proper defence. Failure of the claimant to supply the requested documentation will make the case much harder for the court to deal with as without production of the requested documentation will inhibit the courts

ability to deal with the case.

The Defendant denies that, at any time, since the variation of the agreement has he failed to pay in accordance with the varied agreement. The Defendant therefore denies that he is in breach of the agreement as alleged or at all.

The Defendant avers that the Default Notice relied upon by the Claimant is invalid in that there had been no default as alleged or at all, and the sums of money claimed by the claimant include default charges pursuant to an unfair contract term and consequently are unlawful and by virtue of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations are not binding upon the Defendant.

Its is respectfully requested this case be allocated to the Fast Track, it is a straight forward case and is easily resolved on production of the required documentation by the claimant, should the claimant not have the documentation required to progress this case I suggest that there will be no case to answer.

Therefore it stands to reason that the documents must be disclosed before this case can progress any further

Below is the draft order

The Claimant shall within 14 days of service of this order send to the Defendant and to the Court:

(i) Default Notice compliant with s87 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) as amended

(ii) In relation to the above, strict proof that the claim of XXXX has been defaulted upon

(iii) Copies of statements for National Westminster Bank Home Loan account number XXXXXXX

(iv) Fully documented proof as to how the sums claimed have arisen

If the Claimant fails to comply with this order, the claim will be struck out without further order.

The Defendant shall within 14 days thereafter file and serve the following

An amended defence sufficiently particularised in response to the documents supplied by the claimant.

If the Defendant fails to comply with this order, the Defence will be struck out without further order.

Does it look ok?

No they haven't submitted an AQ - which I am also thinking of adding into this as from reading on here they should have indicated it on their AQ not blatantly ignore protocol and steam roller judgement.

Edited by Lifesontheup
to remove value

Ok looks fine you need to add both account numbers Loan and current,refer to everything as two and not as NW have you believe one.

Copy to the Court signed and have a copy ready for Shoos unsigned and dont send until you recieve their copy.If none recieved keep checking with the Court if they have filed theirs.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Will do that and thanks for taking the time to help :-)

Ok give me a nudge if you recieve anything in particular the Claimants Application.

Regards

Andy;)

Checked with CC and Shoosmiths have not put in their AQ. They told me this will go before a DJ now.

I don't know whether to wait a few weeks to see what happens with it or respond to the SJ - with a hearing due 18/8, I do have some time.

Does anyone know if the result of the AQ can affect the SJ hearing?

I had a feeling they wouldn't reply to the AQ as I think they are counting on the SJ.

Summary Judgement or other early termination

Part of the court’s duty of active case management is the summary disposal of issues which do not need full investigation and trial (rule 1.4(2)©),

The court’s powers to make orders to dispose of issues in that way include:

(a) under rule 3.4, striking out a statement of case, or part of a statement of case, and

(b) under Part 24, giving summary judgment where a claimant or a defendant has no reasonable prospect of success.

The court may use these powers on an application or on its own initiative. The practice direction ‘Summary Disposal of Claims’ contains further information.

(1) A party intending to make such an application should do so before or when filing his allocation questionnaire.

(2) Where a party makes an application for such an order before a claim has been allocated to a track the court will not normally allocate the claim before the hearing of the application.

(3) Where a party files an allocation questionnaire stating that he intends to make such an application but has not done so, the judge will usually direct that an allocation hearing is listed.

(4) The application may be heard at that allocation hearing if the application notice has been issued and served in sufficient time.

Consequences of Failure to File an Allocation Questionnaire

(1) If no party files an allocation questionnaire within the time specified by Form N152, the court will order that unless an allocation questionnaire is filed within 7 days from service of that order, the claim, defence and any counterclaim will be struck out without further order of the court.

(2) Where a party files an allocation questionnaire but another party does not, the file will be referred to a judge for his directions and the court may:

(a) allocate the claim to a track if it considers that it has enough information to do so, or

(b) order that an allocation hearing is listed and that all or any parties must attend

Just some food for thought Lifesontheup but I would allow a little more time yet, after all the CC will, they are the Claimant after all :rolleyes:

Regards

Andy

Thanks bazaar and Andy.

It is indeed interesting reading. I am at the point now that I am content that at least we get a hearing in which I will present the statements showing there has been no default on the payment on their POC.

Will be back soon, once I have put together the response to the SJ.

Hi Lifes

I dont want to see you get this wrong or chase up the wrong path and therefore offer the following to consider.

The stark reality is however, if you are not making normal payments to an account be it P/loan or C/Card, at some point in time, a Court claim will be filed.(As in your Fathers in Laws case the agreement was modified I understand) These Companies as everyone knows, play rough, so why anyone would assume that they will be allowed to continue making nominal payments forever and a day, with the Bank's blessing, when and if they know you own a property is beyond me. More and more people are getting into difficulties with loans and credit cards, so the worse the situation gets, the more aggressive the banks and credit card Companies will become in enforcing debts. RBS/NW are probably savier than most.

Lets see what their response is in the AQ (if any) and then you can refer to the post i have made above.

I trust the above is of help

Regards

Andy

I understand what you are saying and know this isn't going away.

I truly hope I never fall into a similar situation, as I can see the effects it is having on my fil. We've sat down and gone through his finances to see if there is any way he could pay a higher amount, but at this moment in time there is no "room for maneuver".

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I really do appreciate it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well no sign of a response to the AQ by the solicitors so the Court have now allocated an Allocation Hearing. This is the same date and time as the SJ.

I am in the process of preparing witness statements.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, this is a first stab at the witness statement. I have tried to answer most of the the sols claims.

Witness Statement

1 This statement is made in opposition to the Claimant’s application for summary judgment and by which the Claimant contends I have no real prospect of successfully defending the claim against me.

2 I deny that I have ever received an effective default notice from the Claimant prior to the contract being terminated.

3 At trial I shall contend that no default notice for £xxx has been issued under Section 87 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Act specifies the creditor must deliver a default notice which complies with all of the requirement of Section 88 of the Act and of the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 before the Claimant will become entitled to terminate the agreement and make any demand for early payment. It is my case that no default notice which complied in the respects referred to was ever delivered to me by the Claimant.

4 The Claimant contends that the Defendant has failed to provide documentary evidence in support of his assertion that an agreement was reached with the Claimant whereby the Defendant would pay £xxx.

5 At trial I will contend that the Claimant has already admitted that the agreement was varied as their Particulars of Claim is for the sum of the lower payment of £xxx.

6 The Claimant contends by means of the County Court Claim form that the sum of £xxx has been defaulted upon.

7 At trail I will contend that payments for this amount have continued to be paid. Therefore rendering the County Court Claim invalid.

8 The Claimant notes that the Defendant does not fully particularise the assertion that default charges have been added to the claim.

9 At trial I will contend that I have made a number of requests for the Claimant to provide strict proof as to how the sums claimed has arisen. The Claimant to this date, has failed to fully particularise the amounts being claimed.

10 The Claimant is surprised by the assertion that the sums claimed may include unfair charges given that statements of account were forward to the Defendant under covering letter.

11 At trial I will contend that despite a number of requests to provide strict proof of the sums claimed, the Claimant has only provided bank statements for the National Westminster Current Account and has failed to provide bank statements for the National Westminster Bank Home Loan account. In fact the Defendant has never been issued with bank statements for either account until requested. The Defendant is still waiting for the bank statements for the Home Loan account on which the Claimants claim is based.

12 The Claimant claims that the Defendant wrote to both the Claimants Solicitors and Claimant making a request for further information erroneously.

13 At trial I will contend that the Defendant has only written to the Claimants Solicitor and this is why the Claimant cannot provide a copy of said letter from the Defendant. The erroneous letter referred to by the Claimant was sent as a litigant person trying to ensure that all information was sent in order to fully consider the claim being made.

14 The Claimant claims that the Defendant was sent a copy of the loan agreement together with a schedule of arrears.

15 At trial I will contend that a typed up Word document showing the loan amount followed by monthly payments does not constitute fully particularised evidence of how the sums referred to on the claim are made up.

16 The Claimant claims that the defence of XXXX is not verified by a statement of truth. The Claimant wrote to the Defendant on XXXX and XXXX inviting the Defendant to amend his defence to include a statement of truth.

17 At trial I will contend that the first letter of xxxx was not received however the on receipt of the second letter, the Defendant telephoned the Claimants solicitors to explain that a copy was sent to them and to the Court. The Defendant checked with the Court and it has been established that the second page of the defence sent to the Claimants Solicitor was presented as a blank. However the Court confirmed that they were in possession of the page containing the statement of truth. The Defendant then sent a further copy to the Claimants Solicitor.

18 The Defendant once again claims that the Default Notice relied upon by the Claimant is invalid.

19 In the circumstances and in addition to my main contention, I contend that until such time as the Claimant has given full disclosure of material which unequivocally justifies an entitlement to the issue of the claim and the sums of money referred to on that claim, it is impossible for the Claimant to show and for the court to determine at the hearing of an application for summary judgment, that I have no reasonable prospect of showing at trial that the sum of money claimed (whatever that sum may be) is not owing to the Claimant.

20 In the circumstances the court is invited to conclude that there are reasonable grounds to suppose that I will be able to successfully defend the Claimant’s claim at trial and that the Claimant’s application for summary judgment against me should be dismissed.

Hi Lifesontheup

Excellent WS couldnt have done better myself;)

Regards

Andy

Probally reconstructed and couldnt find anyone wishing to add their sig to it:D Seriously though as long as the perscribed layout and nature of breach and time allowed to rectify is ok thats all a DJ will be concerned with oh and of course that the figure is true and dosent reflect any ill concieved charges;)

Regards

Andy

Andy