booksforchildren membership trick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5560 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last year I got one leaflet from pregancy pack book and bought five books from BFC(booksforchildren), every book price for £0.50, and After I purchased this company keep sending me books which they called editor choice every month and send me invoice with membership number and let me pay the money. the leaflet doesn't say anything about contract. All the books they send to me which I never ordered and all the books are very expensive. I try to call them and cancelled the membership,they said they have deleted the membership number from the editor choice, but they didn't and keep sending to me. They told me I have to purchase the four boooks one year and can finish the contract. Obviously this company desperate trying to sell the books to anyone. I have searched some info from internet and the comments says it is a trick. So what can I do? if I won't purchase the books, is it illegal?

Does Anyone have experience to get out of this trick contract please help?

If this is from BCA (Book Club Associates) they have many named 'clubs' and they all work the same - a discounted lead in, then you have to buy a set number of volumes before cancelling. There's no trick - unless you overlooked the original obligation.

You didn't read before you ordered a book:

To join, simply select up to 6 books from any category, from prices as low as 1p each, and add them to your basket.

So buying means you joined and became a member.

When you join the club, you agree to buy a further 4 books, in addition to your introductory offer, in your first year of membership.

That is the obligation you agreed to on joining.

The problem is the contract word is not big enough to see. After purchasing the cheap books they offer, then realise have to buy more books. I think many people have the same experience. I don't like the way they sell the books to customer. every month they send the books which I never ordered and the invoice.All the books they sent are expensive. I just want to get rid of it without buying the books. Does anybody have ideas to do this?

I think you may be stuck with this sadly. I could be wrong, but they make it clear in their small print that you have to buy four more books. It doesn't usually say that you have to specifically buy the editors choice though I don't think. You don't have to have the editors choice, usually they send you that and you can send it back so long as you order from the catalogue. Perhpas order four of their cheapest books? That way you've fulfilled your obligation to buy four books and can cancel.

TheKat1979 - Taking Control!

Taking on -

Barclaycard via HFO - daft application form sent

Barclays Current Account - at AQ stage - fingers crossed asked for Hardship

Egg - various issues! Are about to default me on a disputed debt!

Bryan Carter CCJ set aside - looks to have been set aside without a trip to court! WOO!

You can reject the Editor's Choice, but you have to tell them you don't want it or it will be delivered automatically. I appreciate you don't like the way they do business, but to be fair - they have operated their business model for the last 30 years so if you were unaware of how the scheme worked, the duty remained with you to find out before accepting.

Also from their T&C's, they would have credit checked you, and will report any non-payment or defaults to your credit file, so tread carefully.