National Business Register PLC

Derfel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with them?

It doesn't appear clear on their web site that there are no means or requirement under law to register a name, so they have no connection with the government. They sell protection from passing off, so their register is materially a list of their customers. I feel slightly misled by the name and web site. Of course, that may just mean I was stupid.

Am I right to feel slightly misled? Is their marketing legit?

there has been a few of these "National Fax Register" and similar

DONT pay them anything

they are NOT Goverment backed and no Official Status

But Company Names Act 1985 means they can't pass themselves off as connected with the government, nor can they use restricted words like "national" and "register" without permission from the Secretary of State.

Surely the Secretary of State wasn't born yesterday?

BTW, too late there, I'm afraid, about not paying them any money.

They are a PLC and have no official standing. As you say this time too late, just remember if for next year.

Check that you haven't set up a 'continual payment schedule' with them or it will automatically come out next year as well.

They are a PLC and have no official standing. As you say this time too late, just remember if for next year.

Check that you haven't set up a 'continual payment schedule' with them or it will automatically come out next year as well.

Yeah. But I am interested in what one has to do before the Secretary of State refuses permission. Appending PLC / LTD at the end surely isn't enough to prevent misleading on its own.

Words and expressions requiring Secretary of State’s approval

(1)The Secretary of State may by regulations—

(a)specify words or expressions for the use of which as or as part of a business name his approval is required by section 2(1)(b); and

(b)in relation to any such word or expression, specify a Government department or other body as the relevant body for purposes of the following subsection.

(2)Where a person to whom this Act applies proposes to carry on a business under a name which is or includes any such word or expression, and a Government department or other body is specified under subsection (1)(b) in relation to that word or expression, that person shall—

(a)request (in writing) the relevant body to indicate whether (and if so why) it has any objections to the proposal; and

(b)submit to the Secretary of State a statement that such a request has been made and a copy of any response received from the relevant body.

If they only came into existance since this government have been in power, then I think we need say nor more about the reason why.

If they only came into existance since this government have been in power, then I think we need say nor more about the reason why.

From what I can make out, they've existed since 1985. But changed their name in 2004 from Business Names Registrations Plc to National Business Register Plc. Secretary of State for Trade at the time was Patricia Hewitt.