won ebay item, cannot pay

meursault
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I recently won an auction for a vehicle on ebay. Unfortunately my finances are not what I thought they were and I don't have the money to pay.

I am going to contact the seller and offer to reimburse their selling fees and the cost of a new listing as I feel quite bad.

I am worried about whay happens if they refuse to accept this. Can I be forced to take the vehicle, even though I don't have the money? I read something somewhere about it being a legally binding contract to buy.

I don't know if its relevant but a friend mentioned that as the owner used someone else's account to sell (without mentioning it on the listing) this might be negated?

All advice appreciated, I'm quite worried about this.

Thanks.

Your desired action is probably the correct one and though he might raise a dispute, it is very unlikely that it will go any further.

I would say that your change of fortune has been your saviour as 90% of cars sold on ebay are faulty and only sold there because no one else wants them and they don't want too close an examination before money changes hands.

They cannot force you to go through with the sale. They may be annoyed and they may issue an 'unpaid item strike' against you which means nothing in the real world. This happens a lot on ebay, sellers don't complete the deal if they don't get as much as they wanted and buyers change their minds all the time.

Thanks for replying.

I'm still wondering where I stand on this legally should the seller decide to persue it. Hopefully they will decide its better (and easier) to take the listing fee and relist.

I guess nothing is guaranteed though.

I think ebay motors works the same as normal ebay, in that the seller can go through with a mutal agreement to cancel and he'll get his fees back without you paying them.

have you spoken to the seller to explain the situation?

He probably had under bidders that he can offer the car too, so he shouldn't be too bothered, certainly not from a legal view.

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Lewis - Lost their tongue after cca request:roll: -

Now in default of my CCA request - still no contact since:D

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

1ST Credit - CCA request sent - now stopped contact with me

If he doesn't agree then he'll go through the withdrawal procedure to get his fees back. That's his only loss and as he can recover his fees through ebay's own procedure he has nothing to come after you for. He'll probably do that and take up your offer to pay his fees so he'll be in pocket.

I see, didn't realise he could get his fees back. Hopefully he'll be happy with that and sell it to an under bidder or re-list.

I don't mind paying the fee to him as well as a show of good will, only fair seeing as I let him down.

Do you know how much the fees are for cars?

Not just the listing fee but a final value fee too, can be a fair bit. But I understand what you're saying about a good will gesture, its just that this could be an expensive one

Capquest - No cca yet - OC sent what they think is a CCA - account on hold - no contact since

Fredrickson - No cca yet - Now in default of my request - now stopped contact with me:rolleyes: **UPDATE** April - Sent back £1 p/o and gave up!!!!!!!!!!

He gets it back if you agree to a mutal withdrawal.

again, you have to do what you feel comfortable doing. He'll appreciate it, but really don't worry about legal action with this one.

Hi

dont panic this is something that happens to me on ebay every so often as i sell quite a bit,

all that happens is someone says they have changed their mind i then select from the transaction resolve problem ,

we have agreed not to continue transaction ebay would send you an email asking you if you have agreed to this you click yes and your not obliged to buy and the seller gets their fees back .

they can then offer the item to the next bidder on 2nd chance offer.

you wont get a strike and they cant give you a negative

ebay are much kinder to buyers than sellers

even if it did go into dispute on ebays resolve a problem if you reply once you wont get a strike

Sarah

No court. You'll be fine.

He'll bite your hand off if you're offering to pay the fees. I understand that you feel bad about it, but don't worry too much, these things happen and you're going about it the right way.

There's many times when selling on ebay that the buyer never contacts me after winning and it's a complete headache, so your seller should appreciate your honesty and offer.

All will be fine:)

Call me stingey lol

but i wouldnt bother paying his fees .

he will get the money back from ebay easily anyway , he mite say he doesnt know how etc but i promise you he can very easily once you recevie that email from ebay asking if you have agreed your not continuing transaction,