Recommended Banks for those with Bad Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5597 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

As many of us here, I don't have the best credit. And I have had a particulaly rough time with HSBC recently and would like to no longer have to put my money into their hands every month.

Unfortunately, my first attempt has failed. My wife & I attempted to open a Barclay's account via their online application procedure. After waiting IMPATIENTLY for a week, we got the dreaded "NO we won't give you an account" letter today.

So, I am hoping for some other suggestions. How is Lloyds? In particular I would like a debit card either on the Visa or Mastercard network as I am originally from the USA and travel home occassionally (Maestro/Solo do not exist their).

Also, was it a mistake to do the application online? Would we have had more success in person?

I appreciate your thoughts...

Paul

P.S. To add insult to injury, HSBC just kiddy switched my Maestro to a flipping Solo. Just spontaneously got it in the mail today. Nice them, eh?

Lloyds issue a visa debit with their basic account. As do Barclays. In both cases you will need to apply in Branch

Natwest/RBS may be worth a shot as you can apply online and it will tell you right away what kind of account they can offer you. If it says step/key account though you will only get a solo card. They are meant to be switching to visa soon though whether basic account customers will get a full visa or the crap visa electron remains to be seen

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Thank you everyone for the great advise! I think my wife & I will swing by the local Lloyds first thing Monday morning and see what we can accomplish. I am SO ready to be rid of the evil folks from HSBC. Not that all the banks aren't likely just as bad. :)

I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

One more thing. My plan is currently to attempt to open a basic account at Lloyds as a joint account between my wife & myself. I would assume Lloyds will be just as likely to open one up as such as they would be to open one up in my name, especially since our bad credit is in MY name.

As our credit records are linked, I would assume we are in the same place whether we do it in hers or mine or both.

Any thoughts?

We were with First Direct which has the same principles as it's mother bank HSBC. Didn't like them having access to our money as we owed them a fortune, so managed to get an account with Nationwide Building Society who gave me a Flexaccount despite having 3 defaults and over 20k debt.

That came with a visa debit card and all the other functions (including a very useful overdraft, which I haven't needed to touch for 2yrs thank god).

I suspect they may have tightened the rules recently due to the credit crunch, but maybe they are worth having a chat to - they've been pretty good with me so far.

Just a little update...

But first, to all those recommending the AVOIDANCE of Lloyds. Thank you very much for the advice. But as we really needed to find an alternative and Lloyds is one of our only local choices besides Barclays, we did go that way. Besides, they're all evil in the long run, right? ;)

Ok. We went by Lloyds today and had great success in getting an account setup. With a less then great credit score, they opened us up a Silver account and a Savings account to match. We will be issued Visa debit cards (NOT Visa electron, from what I understand). Yeah - goodbye evil HSBC!

However, just to alert, one silly annoyance. Customer service, being as horrible as it is in the UK...

The lady at Lloyds was a bit unethical. I specifically requested a basic free account. She basically conned me into believing at the moment that their ONLY free account was not good at all and we would really need one of the pay ones. So we ended up with a Silver account, which is of course a pay account (£7.95/mo). She ALSO set us up with a Savings account that requires a minimum INITIAL deposit of £250.

Well, being used to the crap from banks over here, I checked out their website later this afternoon and confirmed I'd been taken for a ride. Called Lloyds customer service and actually got GREAT help (I was shocked).

Side note - I was SO pleased to discover that all the Lloyds call centers are UK based. I have no problems with people who speak with foreign accents. But I got so tired of trying to get my point across with HSBC call center reps from other countries. Sorry, maybe I'm just a bad person...

Anyhow, the Lloyds rep was very apologetic about the mixup with the accounts opened and was happy to give me the information I needed to get the accounts downgraded to what I SHOULD have been offered (Current: Classic Account, Savings: eSaver). I have to call in 24 hours after the accounts have been setup as they have to actually work their way through their systems. But the important thing is that Lloyds is HAPPY to downgrade them.

And when asking what sort of debit card I would be issued, she apologised again that the lady in the office didn't actually explain that to me, which she was supposed to.

So, all in all, good day, good success, goodbye HSBC. And I'll attempt to repost in a day or 2 or 3 as I sort out the rest of the account stuff, etc.

Thanks again for all the advice and recommendations.