NPower wont let me switch

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to switch to another electricity provider and I owe just over £100 to npower which I will carry on paying as usual. But I have received a letter from npowwr saying "Sorry you want to leave us etc" but we cannot allow this as this amount is still owing?? how can they stop me switching providers anyone know anything about this I mean can they?:confused:

Hi, I also had this problem with Npower, but my new company Ebico said that it is normal for them to do this. Ebico just sent in the applications again a couple of weeks later and Npower approved it - tell your new supplier to apply again

Hi, I also had this problem with Npower, but my new company Ebico said that it is normal for them to do this. Ebico just sent in the applications again a couple of weeks later and Npower approved it - tell your new supplier to apply again

OK Thanks will do...

• 2 weeks later...

Any energy suppier you are with can block your move to another supplier if you owe them any money for a period longer then 28 days, or there is a further contractual obligation you have agreed to fulfill before you leave (such as staying with the company in question for a set period of time in exchange for lower prices) although this usually only applies to business customers. The best thing to do if you are in any doubt is read your terms and conditions of supply of contact your supplier to ask if there is anything you need to do before you chanage supplier (ie give termination notice or pay any overdue amounts). There are massive restrictions on when, how and why a supplier can block your transfer and regardless of the company you are with they should be able to explain these to you.

The companies do usually block any attempt to have the supply taken if there has been a balance outstanding for longer then 28 days. This is mainly due to the ability of the company to be able to recover debts owed to them after people leave (this chances of recovery diminish quickly with every month since you have left them, so ask yourself if this was your business what would you do?). If your new supplier that is trying to take your supply receives a objection notice from the previous supplier they should act responsably and advise you to contact your current supplier and sort out the reason for the objection with them (as usually the agents of the company you are with can do more for you if you are with them than they can if you have left as there are guidelines and system constrictions that the agents have to work within).

However, unfortunatly we all know that there are a few sales staff do not work this way (comission being what it is, dont blame the people for a flawed system) and they may utalise a way of forcing the switch. Due to technical issues with some suppliers objection processes if a barrage of applications are put through in a short time period it was likley that one would slip through without being objected to in the set time window the suppliers have to object to the supply leaving. If this is the case your current supplier will have no choice but to let your supply leave. This is usually what happens in cases where an objection is recived but the next application goes straight through without further action being taken by the customer.

What is worse the sales agent will seem like your champion for getting what you want and the poor agent on the end of the phone that could have done more to help you if the correct process had been followed oftern then gets the grief when they cant agree to the terms of repayment or further action you want.

All suppliers as far as im aware will tell you that they are unable to allow the change if you owe them money, but if you call them and pay it they will allow the change. If you do this within 7 days of the objection being processed (the date on the letter) they can sometimes withdraw the objection and allow the supply to leave as though it was never raised. if not your new supplier will need to reapply for the supply.

hope this helps

Edited by darke

Make sure your new supplier reapplies before there is a fresh balance on the account or you could be going around in circles for ever.

As previously stated, your current supplier can not object to you leaving on the grounds of debt owed unless the balance has been outstanding for a period of 28 days.

This is because they need to have given you chance to pay the balance on the account before taking any action. They do also have an objection "window" as previously stated. This is usually 7 days from the date they recieve the application from your new supplier to take the supply. if they have not objected in this window then they can not do so unless there are special considerations and both suppliers and you agree to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just got this trying to leave British Gas. I have no way of paying the outstanding bill so was hoping to arrange a payment plan with them after the switch. I am horrified that any company can block you choosing to leave them. British Gas are expensive and I have no intention of paying their £14 for a letter charge. If they were providing a service I was happy with I wouldn't want to leave

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

• 2 weeks later...

hi

this practice is debt blocking - blocking due to debt

however due to ofgem 2004 “debt assignment protocol”

Suppliers have agreed to end the practice known as "debt-blocking" for customers who owe less than £100.

if you are being debt blocked a and debt is below £100 they are in breach of

debt assignment protocol”

to which i believe ofgem will be most interested in too as this protocol is their baby

I was being debt blocked and involoved ofgem and hey i am now switched.

p.s. 100 gas 100 electricity dont let them tell you it is £100 over both if you are dual fuel

p.p.s. google ofgem debt assignment protocol for more info

I would complaint to consumer direct

Regards DK

Changing supplier when you have a debt

If you have an electricity debt, you may not be accepted by a new supplier.

If you've owed the money for less than 28 days, for example, you haven't paid a recent bill, you will still be able to change supplier. The money you owe will be transferred to your new supplier.

You will also be allowed to change supplier if you use a prepayment meter and have a debt of up to £100. Your debt will be transferred to your new supplier. For more information about changing your supplier when you have a debt, contact Consumer Direct – see under heading Useful organisations.

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Ah interesting about the £100 both outstanding bills are less than that - in my case interestingly I have a name with alot of different ways to spell it but the way the girl at BG has done it without bothering to ask the spelling which most people do its actually a completely different name

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

Take a meter reading to see if you really owe them that money. They may have overestimated your bills which is why you still owe them money, but bear in mind that there is also the possibility that they may have underestimated leaving you with a huge bill when you switch.

My bills are off meter readings so correct and I hate to think what the new one will be - my brother has moved in and has no concept of energy conservation when his name isn't on the bill

The PPI Saga

when i was blocked by atlantic i spoke to them and quoted the protocol they were ignorant i was raging

ok i said can i have tha in writing please as i am sure ofgem will be most interested you are not following protocol

i had been victim of having a £25ish and £35ish dd that suddenly went up to £85 to which they broke dd agreement by not informing me- to which i cancelled dd and had bank credit it back to my account due to their breach of dd - this resulted in them not allowing me to set up a standing order which then lead to the debt as no payment was made for 3 months

i went straight to energywatch and logged a complaint

energy watch did not seem too clued on the debt protocol and then went to ofgem

my understanding is ofgem spoke to energy watch energywatch spoke to alantic and atlantic spoke to me in a manner i did not recognise i.e. they could not do enough to help me

I have never been on prepayment meter and still switched due to the protocol and i was £254+ arrears gas and over the £100 electricity (can't remember the amount)

pre energywatch and ofgem i was prepared to bring the accounts in line with protocol but atlantic were not interested however after energy watch they forgot about the £100 and i did not bring it in line (under £100) did not transfer my outstanding balance to new supplier and the block was removed by atlantic i am now with eon gas and Electricity.

anyway i hopes my experience helpsss

( I had a thought though it is in the enery suppliers interest to have you in debt so they can legally block you, so they have incentive to have your dd not fully covering your usage - they should not have this blocking power at any debtedness IMO ) grrrrr they enrage me