• Tweets

• Northmonk forget what I said about your Notice to Hirer being the best I have seen . Though it  still may be  it is not good enough to comply with PoFA. Before looking at the NTH, we can look at the original Notice to Keeper. That is not compliant. First the period of parking as sated on their PCN is not actually the period of parking but a misstatement  since it is only the arrival and departure times of your vehicle. The parking period  is exactly that -ie the time youwere actually parked in a parking spot.  If you have to drive around to find a place to park the act of driving means that you couldn't have been parked at the same time. Likewise when you left the parking place and drove to the exit that could not be describes as parking either. So the first fail is  failing to specify the parking period. Section9 [2][a] In S9[2][f] the Act states  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN fails to mention the words in parentheses despite Section 9 [2]starting by saying "The notice must—..." As the Notice to Keeper fails to comply with the Act,  it follows that the Notice to Hirer cannot be pursued as they couldn't get the NTH compliant. Even if the the NTH was adjudged  as not  being affected by the non compliance of the NTK, the Notice to Hirer is itself not compliant with the Act. Once again the PCN fails to get the parking period correct. That alone is enough to have the claim dismissed as the PCN fails to comply with PoFA. Second S14 [5] states " (5)The notice to Hirer must— (a)inform the hirer that by virtue of this paragraph any unpaid parking charges (being parking charges specified in the notice to keeper) may be recovered from the hirer; ON their NTH , NPE claim "The driver of the above vehicle is liable ........" when the driver is not liable at all, only the hirer is liable. The driver and the hirer may be different people, but with a NTH, only the hirer is liable so to demand the driver pay the charge  fails to comply with PoFA and so the NPE claim must fail. I seem to remember that you have confirmed you received a copy of the original PCN sent to  the Hire company plus copies of the contract you have with the Hire company and the agreement that you are responsible for breaches of the Law etc. If not then you can add those fails too.
    • Weaknesses in some banks' security measures for online and mobile banking could leave customers more exposed to scammers, new data from Which? reveals.View the full article
    • I understand what you mean. But consider that part of the problem, and the frustration of those trying to help, is the way that questions are asked without context and without straight facts. A lot of effort was wasted discussing as a consumer issue before it was mentioned that the property was BTL. I don't think we have your history with this property. Were you the freehold owner prior to this split? Did you buy the leasehold of one half? From a family member? How was that funded (earlier loan?). How long ago was it split? Have either of the leasehold halves changed hands since? I'm wondering if the split and the leashold/freehold arrangements were set up in a way that was OK when everyone was everyone was connected. But a way that makes the leasehold virtually unsaleable to an unrelated party.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

mitzbag v restons burgh!

mitzbag
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

bump ! Hope someone answers your queries soon!

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Obviously the Judge wishes to know about the transactions of the account.

You will now have to state which transactions are not recognised, as you have already disputed a random transaction under questioning by the Judge.

If you do not recognise the random transaction then you must dispute it as the Judge will no doubt pick on it again.

I genuinly can not remember the transactions in question. I have SAR my bank and MBNA to get information to help me but MBNA wont send it unless I send them my driving Licence? Is this normal? Its all getting confusing can anyone please help?????

I genuinly can not remember the transactions in question. I have SAR my bank and MBNA to get information to help me but MBNA wont send it unless I send them my driving Licence? Is this normal? Its all getting confusing can anyone please help?????

Typical MBNA behaviour I'm afraid.

I believe there is no legal reason for a signature on the SAR request.

After all, they have sent other correspondence to you at your address. Indeed, as claimants, they have authorised the service of legal papers to you.

To move things on you may wish to send them a copy of you Driving Licence but put a line through your signature so they cannot "lift" it.

Or you may wish to see out the 40 days and issue a court summons for SAR non compliance to MBNA and a complaint through the Information Commisioners Office about MBNA.

They are only entitled to ask for further identification if they are not sure you are you !.

The fact they have sent sensitive documents already and have lodged a court claim against you supposes that they DO know who you are and are just stalling.

What makes them think you have a driving licence / passport in any case.. plenty of people dont :)

My thoughts would be to copy the claim form that the court has sent you and send them that..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Dear Sirs,

RE Accounts -

Thank you for your letter dated xxxxxxx xxx

Your letter requests “For security reasons we require you to provide a form of positive identification (an example of acceptable identification would be a copy of a driving licence or passport which includes your signature), before you comply.

To the present date you have easily sent statements and correspondence containing my sensitive and private statements and personal financial information to my address. I am asking myself now why all the concern regarding security regarding my information, and why you are doubting that I am not the right person? I request the reasoning behind the length of time for you suddenly to be worried about this.

I am confident an organisation the size of MBNA are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

I would like to advise that clarification with Government bodies assured me that this is purely MBNA's own internal proceedures, and not really required.

I am concerned that I do not hold either a passport or drivers licence, and even if I did, in today's society about taking care of our personal information, I am not happy in sending in the post anyway.

I am sure that an alternative compromise can be sought, either you accept I am who I am, or you can offer me alternatives that I will find acceptable. If this cannot be resolved I will contact the Information Commissioners Office.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing within the next 7 days.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Hi Mitzbag!

I sent them the above letter! when they tried same tactics with me of not sending my SAR and requesting passport driving licence! I

if you send them that above letter.They normally write back to you inviting you to phone their compliance dept and do security checks over phone!and then send SAR request

When i did it all they asked me for was MBNA acount number mothers maiden name and date of birth.The lady who took call was very pleasent and polite and they did eventually send SAR .

Can some one please have a small look over this defence for me. It's being taken into court 2mrw and I could just do with opinions... have i left anythin major out etc.... it isn't quite finished tho.....

Thanks... Pudst x x x x

In the XXXX County Court

Claim number - XXXXXXXX

MBNA Ltd - Claimant

and

Mitzbag - Defendant

Defence

1. In this Defence, the Consumer Credit Act 1974 as amended is referred to as “the Act”. The Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 are referred to as the “Copies Regulations”. The Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 are referred to as the “Agreements Regulations”. The Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 are referred to as the “Enforcement Regulations.”

2. I, Mitzbag, am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by MBNA Ltd.

Background Information

3. At the point where my previous defence was required I was not in possession of documents from the claimant (In the build up to this action, I had raised a formal dispute with MBNA Ltd and later on Restons Solicitors. On 16th November 2007 and 14th November 2008 I sent a request under section 78(1) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 for a true copy of the executed Credit Agreement, and a statement of account detailing the principal, and all charges and fees made in respect of the debt. I requested the claimant supply this information within 14 days which I do not feel was unreasonable given that the claimant would surely hold such documentation as they had instigated legal action based upon such documents. MBNA received the first request on 17th November 2007 by recorded delivery and I hand-delivered the second request to Restons Solicitors. The claimant has so far failed to send me the full and required information and Restons Solicitors have refused to deal with my request. A copy of the request dated 16/11/07 is attached to this defence marked BAG01 along with proof of postage, marked BAG02. A copy of the request made to Restons Solicitors is also attached to this defence marked BAG03 and Restons' response is attached marked BAG04.).

These documents were vital to my ability to defend this action and placed me at a distinct disadvantage. The claimant failed to include the written agreement, which formed the basis of this claim in accordance with part 16 and Practice Direction 16 of the Civil Procedure Rules.

4. The claimant failed to supply the requested information within the requested time frame so accordingly I could only file a minimal defence. The claimant was indeed very obstructive and each time I requested this information, the claimant failed to correspond with me. However, the claimant has now supplied some of the requested information, and now after consideration of the documents which have been supplied I can now make an amended defence to the claimants particulars which takes into account the information I have been sent.

5. On xx/xx/xxxx the claimant refused my request under the Civil Procedure Rules and has since still only provided me with very minimal documents. As a result it has still proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested, especially given that I am litigant in person.

6. After consideration of the documents referred to in point 4 I consequently question the allegations made in the Claimant’s Particulars of Claim and accordingly place the claimant to strict proof that I am indebted to them thereof.

The Transactions on the Account

8. The transactions on the account are not admitted nor denied. The defendant does not recall the specific transactions on the account, particularly the big transactions for example the £5000.00 credit. The defendant has written to both his current bank, his bank at the time and MBNA for further clarification on this matter. (Exhibit BAGXX is the subject access request to Halifax, BAGXX is the subject access request to Lloyds TSB, BAGXX is the subject access request to MBNA, BAGXX is MBNA’s response and BAGXX is the latest correspondence from the defendant to MBNA regarding this matter.)

9. As you can see from BAGXX (MBNA’s response to the defendant) trying to get any information from the Claimant has proven very difficult and therefore has hindered a lot of the court process for the defendant especially as they are litigant in person.

MBNA’s responses to s78 request defective

10. It is submitted the credit agreement supplied falls foul of the Agreements Regulations in so far that the document supplied as an executed Credit Agreement is actually some form of application form. This has a reference number on it that does not link up with any other of the documents, for example the statements that have been supplied. There is no apparent link between the documents at all.

9. If MBNA are to rely on their responses to the Defendant’s s78 requests, they were defective in the following ways:-

(a) The response on 20/12/2007 was defective because a statement of the account was provided as required by s78(1) but it did not include a statement of “the amounts and the due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor” [as required by s78 (1)© of the Act.]

(b) The response on 16/12/2008 was defective because

(i)Again a statement of the account was provided as required by s78(1) but it did not include a statement of “the amounts and the due dates of any payments which, if the debtor does not draw further on the account, will later become payable under the agreement by the debtor to the creditor” [as required by s78 (1)© of the Act.]

(ii) They sent a set of terms and conditions which looked to be the latest ones, however, there was no explanation as to whether they applied to the account and what dates.

(iii) This reply also failed to include any of the other financial particulars as required by s78 (1) (a), s78 (1) (b) and s78 (1) © of the Act.

10. Further more the defendant requires clarification on the status of the original agreement, the defendant requires the claimant provide a certified copy of the original agreement. If the document is no longer in existence the defendant requires certification of destruction and furthermore the defendant will call into question the validity of any purported copy of the said contract where the original has been destroyed. The defendant will require production of details as to when any copy was made and what medium the copy has been stored on along with clarification of who has had access to the document and also require written clarification that any copy document produced is authentic. The defendant notes that the Civil procedure rules also require the original documents to be made available under practice direction 32.

Default Notice Defective

10. In addition to the credit agreement being flawed, the default notice served under s87 (1) of the Act failed to comply with the Enforcement Regulations.

11. On 13th October 2008 I received a letter from MBNA Limited. The letter was headed Default Notice served under section 87(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974. The notice clearly states that the breach is of ‘clause 8’, however on the application form/alleged agreement there is no ‘clause 8’. Thus this goes against the provisions of the Enforcement Regulations, Regulation 2(2) schedule 2:-

(i)Details of breach of agreement and action required to remedy, or pay compensation for, the breach

A specification of:--

(a) the provision of the agreement alleged to have been breached; and

(b) the nature of the alleged breach of the agreement, specifying clearly the matters complained of; and either

© if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which that action is to be taken; or

(d) if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be paid as compensation for the breach and the date, being a date [not less than fourteen days] after the date of service of the notice, before which it is to be paid.

11. In the case of Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain & Co - [1998] All ER (D) 339 in the Court of Appeal, the court addressed in some detail the issue of the contents of a default notice and should the notice fail to comply with the Enforcement Regulations it would render the default notice invalid. I quote the comment of KENNEDY LJ:

‘This statute was plainly enacted to protect consumers, most of whom are likely to be individuals‘;

The judgment appears confirm the consumer credit legislation made under the Act as plainly enacted and set out to offer protection to the consumer. Therefore it is suggested that the failure of the claimant to set out the default notice in accordance with the Enforcement Regulations could unduly prejudice me as it failed to properly identify both the part of the alleged agreement breached (section XX doesn’t appear on the alleged agreement provided).

41. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119.

14. Without fair warning the claimant brought this action in what appears ignorance of the Civil Procedure Rules Pre Action Protocols Para 4.3, as no letter before action was received.

15. The defendant also requests that the court order the claimant to disclose a list of all charges made to the account and a list of the costs associated with each charge for the last six years to prove that the alleged debt amounts to the amount claimed. The defendant also respectfully asks for documents related to any insurance added to the alleged debt.

16. Regarding that which is denied, the claimant seeks to claim statutory interest pursuant to section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum. The defendant notes that the claimant is not entitled to do so and attention is drawn to The County Courts Interest on Judgment Debts Order 1991 Section 2 (3)(a) which sets out that this is the case as this claim is in relation to a debt regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Conclusion

42. In view of matters pleaded, I respectfully request the court give consideration to striking out the claimants case pursuant to part 3.4

(2) The court may strike out a statement of case if it appears to the court -

(a) That the statement of case discloses no reasonable grounds for bringing or defending

(b) That the statement of case is an abuse of the court's process or is otherwise likely to obstruct the just disposal of the proceedings; or

© That there has been a failure to comply with a rule, practice direction or court order.

13. If the court considers it inappropriate to use its case management powers, it is requested that the court order the claimant to show the exact link between documents and explain why they are quoting a section of the alleged agreement that does not exist in the paperwork provided. Without this information the case can not be dealt with justly and fairly, and will severely prejudice my rights to a fair trial.

44. As laid out in point 24 the defendant requires that the claimant provide the requested information and proofs and authenticities. The defendant requests that the court order that the claimant supply the information requested.

17. Having instigated these proceedings without any legal basis for doing so, having failed to provide sufficient information required under the pre-trial protocols in order to investigate this claim, or indeed to provide a reasonable time period to investigate this matter, and having failed to investigate a dispute as required by the OFT Debt collection Guidelines I believe the Claimant's conduct amounts to unlawful harassment under section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970. Furthermore, the Claimant's behaviour is entirely vexatious and wholly unreasonable.

18. In addition, should it be suggested that the claim falls under the Consumer Credit Act 2006, it is drawn to the courts attention that schedule 3, s11 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 prevents s15 repealing s127 (3) of the 1974 Act for agreements made before s15 came into effect since the agreement is alleged to have commenced in 20/02/2006 the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is the relevant act in this case.

19. The defendant respectfully asks the permission of the court to further amend this defence when the above documents are provided by the claimant.

Statement of Truth

I, Mitzbag, believe the above statement to be true and factual.

Signed - ..............................................

Date ....................

Oh and i know all the nums are wrong... lol

Plese give me your opinions... thanx

Pudst

x x x

You'll need to oppose the claiming of s69 interest as claimed in their POC -

In opposition, I point the Judge to the County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 which clearly states at Page 2, paragraph 2(3)(a) -

Interest shall not be payable under this Order where the relevant judgment is given in proceedings to recover money due under an agreement regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Edited by supasnooper
added detail

Brill thanx SSnooper... i also need to appose their costs as well because it wouldnt have got this far if they had complied with the requests etc.

Does it look okay other than that? Does it need beefing up anywhere?

Pudst

x x x x

Defence has been submitted to court... Restons next....

Thanx SSnooper, this is mitzbag's case... i am just helping out this time... makes a change lol!

We will take the relevant cases with us. The judge at the summary judgement hearing said that once the amended defence is received, he will then give further direction to restons/mbna about them providing the information queried such as the link between docs etc so not sure when the actual hearing will be (restons person also said that they may decide not to pursue it)

Thanx for all your help!!

Pudst

x x x x

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Restons Received Defence They Are Quiet At Moment, And The Court Got Defence It Is Waiting For Judge To Look At It And Decide Next Steps.....

• 10 months later...

sorry not been on for a while, Restons got a ccj and charging order against me. Can they charge me interest on the debt now?