currys asking for personel details

postggj
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why do some insurances not cover you for accidental damage?

Accidental damage or loss is what insurance is for otherwise it ain't insurance A 'warranty' only applies to mechanical failure or defect when manufactured

Neither a warranty OR insurance will cover you for proven abuse of the item

I too have come across this more than once recently. Most recent was after buys a couple of small items and getting cashback in Asda.

For any place that asks my details they get told this:

SW1A 2AJ house number 10!

:p

You surely ask your clients for their name and postcode.

Dr John Eaton

Eaton Reverse Therapy

Hi Renzokuchen,

Thank you for printing your company's policy on collecting data, and as far as I am concerned if I have to give my address and details next time I pop into Currys for a set of vacuum cleaner bags, I'll stop shopping there!

(Actually, I rarely use Currys or any of their associates).

The moral of the story is, if you don't like giving your details stop using the stores which demand them as a condition of purchase.;) Easy really.

Out of complete principle i will NOT shop at any store owned by DSGi. Nothing against the sales staff as such, but the policy of them, to always up sell, and pressure people into taking out a warranty, that is a [problem] anyway.

Sales person will tell you its a 3 year warranty. When in fact it may only be a 2 year or in some cases 1 year, and even in same cases a 0 year warranty, this is because the manufacture covers anything for the first 12 month, in which the retailer has to replace it if it is faulty regardless of warranty, something DSGi seem to think doesn't apply to them.

And when trying to make a claim, it's like pulling teeth. :-)

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

You are the customer, you tell them what you are having not the other way about

Coming home from a holiday in Majorca, they come round with a form which wants to know everything about you.

Some folks fill it in then wonder why they get bombarded with junk mail.

We went ex dir 16 years ago, in that time we have had 3 junk phone calls.

I guard me personel details like a lion would guard its cubs.

If anyone tried that on with me then they could stick thier goods where the sun dont shine.

You are the customer, you tell them what you are having not the other way about

Coming home from a holiday in Majorca, they come round with a form which wants to know everything about you.

Some folks fill it in then wonder why they get bombarded with junk mail.

We went ex dir 16 years ago, in that time we have had 3 junk phone calls.

I guard me personel details like a lion would guard its cubs.

If anyone tried that on with me then they could stick thier goods where the sun dont shine.

You need therapy mate ;-)

Dr John Eaton

Eaton Reverse Therapy.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a PAYG phone with Virgin (stupid me!).

Recently I bought a new SIM card from ASDA (much cheaper). When I telephoned Virgin to ask for the PAC ( I wanted to keep my old number) I was told that I had to supply them with my name, address, contact phone number, email address and date of birth before they'd give me a PAC number...

I'd been with Virgin for around 4 years and they'd never needed or asked for this information but because I was leaving them they wouldn't let me go without giving them all this personal information.

I changed phone number...

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

I have had the same thing I wanted to but from a company who wanted to set up a credit account then gave you the option of paying by account cheque for full amount or CC for full amount, they asked for my DOB and I refused saying I was going to pay by cheque didnt need an account set up so Dob WAS MY OWN AFFAIR , they refused to take my order so I phoned up 1/2 later and gave DOB as 01 01 1908 making me 101 years old no problem, they accepted my order

I have had the same thing I wanted to but from a company who wanted to set up a credit account then gave you the option of paying by account cheque for full amount or CC for full amount, they asked for my DOB and I refused saying I was going to pay by cheque didnt need an account set up so Dob WAS MY OWN AFFAIR , they refused to take my order so I phoned up 1/2 later and gave DOB as 01 01 1908 making me 101 years old no problem, they accepted my order

We really must get around to teaching arithmetic in our schools............ again :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

My husband has just got back from Curry's this afternoon, spitting flames. He went there this morning and bought one of those MP3 transmitter things for your car radio that save you having to muck about with loads of CDs. It cost him £9.99 and he paid cash, no personal data being requested and I should think not! However, after spending all afternoon faffing about trying to get the thing to work, he finally realised that his car stereo wasn't compatible with the device, so off he went back to Currys to get a refund. Guess what? Yep - the chippy little 18-year old madam at the till refused to give him his CASH refund unless he provided his postcode and house number! Since we are both very bolshy about our privacy and data, he told her what he thought of this particular policy and proceeded to provide the details of the nearest mental health facility, which, incidentally, was demolished 15 years ago. No problem - refund provided! :rolleyes:

Okay, so this is Currys policy and you don't have to shop there. Personally, I don't, precisely because of this kind of crap. But it doesn't half get up my nose when you're just going about your business and you get some nosy sod wanting to know everything about you. I even had some woman knocking on my door once demanding to know what kind of sanitary protection I used!! Naturally, she was advised to trot along and attempt a spot of self-pollution, but that's not the point. What makes these people think they have a right to pry into peoples' personal habits in this fashion? :mad:

I will always question, always challenge and never give into them! :p

My husband has just got back from Curry's this afternoon, spitting flames. He went there this morning and bought one of those MP3 transmitter things for your car radio that save you having to muck about with loads of CDs. It cost him £9.99 and he paid cash, no personal data being requested and I should think not! However, after spending all afternoon faffing about trying to get the thing to work, he finally realised that his car stereo wasn't compatible with the device, so off he went back to Currys to get a refund. Guess what? Yep - the chippy little 18-year old madam at the till refused to give him his CASH refund unless he provided his postcode and house number! Since we are both very bolshy about our privacy and data, he told her what he thought of this particular policy and proceeded to provide the details of the nearest mental health facility, which, incidentally, was demolished 15 years ago. No problem - refund provided! :rolleyes:

Okay, so this is Currys policy and you don't have to shop there. Personally, I don't, precisely because of this kind of crap. But it doesn't half get up my nose when you're just going about your business and you get some nosy sod wanting to know everything about you. I even had some woman knocking on my door once demanding to know what kind of sanitary protection I used!! Naturally, she was advised to trot along and attempt a spot of self-pollution, but that's not the point. What makes these people think they have a right to pry into peoples' personal habits in this fashion? :mad:

I will always question, always challenge and never give into them! :p

People like you and your husband amuse me greatly, you complain about the logic behind the staff having to take your details for no reason and talk about how angry you were with the staff. Yet you have just walked into the shop, and had a go at an individual with absolutely no control over the system at all, where is the logic in that?

It's no wonder that "the customer is always right" attitude is long dead, I'm damn sure if you'd been rude to me like that you'd have been refused service, we don't get paid £5.57 an hour to be talked to like dirt. I'm really sick of people thinking sales and customer service staff somehow have this magical ability to reprogram the tills to do whatever the customer wants them to do.

Really?

Well, "people like you .... amuse me greatly" too, not least because you're prepared to be spat on by a bunch of suits and jump through hoops because they've programmed a till that tells you to.

Then, when confronted by dissatisfied customers, it's the corporate whine .... "It's not my fault ... I only do what I'm told .... I only earn tuppence an hour ..... it's them at head office .... it's the computer.... it's the till!"

Why not stick up two fingers, and (a) get a job that allows you to use your initiatve/brains/common sense and (b) maintain your integrity?

If you really think that the "customer is always right attitude is long dead", then both you and your company are suicidal, particularly in this current financial climate and you deserve to go out of business.

We, as customers, can choose where we shop, it's as simple as that. If we don't like any aspect of your 'service', then we won't shop with you. I object to being poked for personal, private information at a till, therefore there's no need for you to feel you have to be 'damn sure' to 'refuse me service'. I don't patronise your dreary establishment and, after this experience, neither will my husband. If your attitude is indicative of the general staff/corporate mindset, then God help you.

I take strong exception to the assumptions you've made in reply to my post. Nowhere in this post did I say that my husband had been 'rude to', 'talked to like dirt' or 'had a go' at the staff member concerned. He was, in fact, whilst making his point, civilised and polite to the young lady in question, which is considerably more than can be said of her.

But then, if this is par for the course for Currys customer service training, what can one expect?

Really?

Well, "people like you .... amuse me greatly" too, not least because you're prepared to be spat on by a bunch of suits and jump through hoops because they've programmed a till that tells you to.

Then, when confronted by dissatisfied customers, it's the corporate whine .... "It's not my fault ... I only do what I'm told .... I only earn tuppence an hour ..... it's them at head office .... it's the computer.... it's the till!"

Why not stick up two fingers, and (a) get a job that allows you to use your initiatve/brains/common sense and (b) maintain your integrity?

If you really think that the "customer is always right attitude is long dead", then both you and your company are suicidal, particularly in this current financial climate and you deserve to go out of business.

We, as customers, can choose where we shop, it's as simple as that. If we don't like any aspect of your 'service', then we won't shop with you. I object to being poked for personal, private information at a till, therefore there's no need for you to feel you have to be 'damn sure' to 'refuse me service'. I don't patronise your dreary establishment and, after this experience, neither will my husband. If your attitude is indicative of the general staff/corporate mindset, then God help you.

I take strong exception to the assumptions you've made in reply to my post. Nowhere in this post did I say that my husband had been 'rude to', 'talked to like dirt' or 'had a go' at the staff member concerned. He was, in fact, whilst making his point, civilised and polite to the young lady in question, which is considerably more than can be said of her.

But then, if this is par for the course for Currys customer service training, what can one expect?

For starters, I'm not on company time, so I can say what I'd like, and what I'm sure that person on the desk would have if he'd been allowed. And what would you consider reading out the address for a mental asylum after refusing to give your own address if not rude and insulting, not to mention treating the guy on the desk like he's a moron. If you think I'm here to tow the company line you obviously haven't checked my previous posts, some gems in there would get me sacked on the spot if the company found out who I was.

I think you'll find, short of being self employed, half of the country is being spat on by their bosses in some form or another, all companies have rules and procedures, and staff to follow them. I'm not so narrow minded to say that taking your details is right. Nor am I nieve enough to enjoy having to take someone's details in order to process sales or refunds, but due to company rules and their computer systems, we have no choice. They don't let us process certain sales, and ANY refunds without them.

You on the other hand have all the choices, you can give your details and get a refund, complain to head office, not give your details and get a refund directly through them, or you can go without a refund.

Believe me, I'd enjoy nothing more than to see them not take details unless needed, but as long as people like you direct your anger at the store, or webpages like this. Rather than the board of directors who can actualy change the system, it's going to stay like that, isn't it.

You don't seem to read posts before you reply to them. The above doesn't appear to be relevant to what I've said, which is; Customer service is paramount and I object to my privacy being invaded for no apparent reason by high street shops.

I haven't a clue what you're talking about, I've said all I've got to say, good night and God bless!

It's clear from reading some of these posts that Curries really need to get a grip of their staff particularly their training cos the attitude seems to be "not me gov I vos only vollowing orders" ...........Failing that I suggest they need to employ staff with at least 1 brain cell

It's clear from reading some of these posts that Curries really need to get a grip of their staff particularly their training cos the attitude seems to be "not me gov I vos only vollowing orders" ...........Failing that I suggest they need to employ staff with at least 1 brain cell

I grow tired of this so let me put it into simple terms.

• The staff do not want to take your details.
  • The tills force us to take your details.
  • If we don't take those details, the till won't allow us to take or distribute money.
  • The staff cannot change, modify or otherwise edit the tills, and all sales must go through the tills.
  • If sales don't go through the tills then the stock isn't counted out of the shop and we get investigated for theft.

So in short, it's not a case of "not me gov I vos only vollowing orders". More a case of "computer says no".

So on a side note, I'll be expecting everyone in this thread to say no to all requests their bosses make of them from now onwards, and I'll do the same. We'll meet in the dole office to discuss the results.