are the debt collection industry right?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately i really dont think what the general public think will make the slightest difference.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

• 3 months later...

Cabot and many others use automatic dialling systems to contact "customers" and the use of these is about to get much stricter Credit Today online.

I dont know how many of you know, but Cabots system generates calls and only puts them through if there is a sound above a certain level made ( I know i'v tried a whisper to a loud cough through to Corrie!) if you say nothing you are greeted with a silent call that will then ring off.

You do not have to answer with a cheery "Hello", if you remain silent and listen then the call made is also silent and therfore probably illegal. Make a complaint here Silent calls (when you answer the phone, there is nobody there) | Ofcom the more we complain the more pressure on the parasites!

Cabot state they abide by all laws and regulations, but those on the receiving end know they dont. This is just a little fight back.

Advice & opinions given by spartathisis are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.:)

bump

• 1 month later...

Apologies if already posted elsewhere.

Responses | Ofcom

Various DCA's inc Cabot, Equidebt, Callcredit n some banks. Credit services Assoc on there as well, some show their thinking on us poor debtors, sorry "dont want to pays!"

CSA: "Due to the legal obligation debtors have to repay their outstanding accounts, will (DCA's) need to make a telephone contact with the consumer".

Maybe confirming if they have a legal duty before ringing would be helpful;)

They, CSA, also state that some 1m debt cases are put through Northampton, with 95% not defended! Looks like CAG has some to do:)

Callcredits input includes the names, numbers and emails of a couple of directors in charge of industrial relations, if anyone is interested,

David Hicksons reply is a work of art, against the use of telephone dialling systems producing silent calls/misuse.

GE Money are proud that they made 44.7m calls, but only connected to 11m, so only 1 in 4 calls answered. Lot of nuisance calls there then.

This very interesting indeed. What's the background to all of this given that the few dates I found are all in January 2008?

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

I was getting silent calls, well not quite they were from a "reactive calling system", speak and it dials through to operator dont and it rings off. Cabot use this system so reported them and then a marketing company ringing 5 times a day!

Came across the above and though it was interesting, there are references to Jan of this year regarding this info elsewhere on the site. Not sure if they have implemented anything yet, but always seems to take years for any quango to do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone rented an 0800 type of number than given it to DCA's to ring them on and get the income from it?

Just wondered :)

yes

Yes, I have. Strictly speaking these are supposed to be for businesses but I invented one :). (Names like 'Underground Airways' are mainly already taken so you have to be very inventive).

I have only ever had a couple of calls on it, and not enough to trigger a cash payment. Sadly I only took this up late in the piece and most of my creditors knew my mobile number anyway.

If you want to go ahead the company I used is http://www.telecomsworldplc.co.uk/.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

Yes, I have. Strictly speaking these are supposed to be for businesses but I invented one :). (Names like 'Underground Airways' are mainly already taken so you have to be very inventive).

I have only ever had a couple of calls on it, and not enough to trigger a cash payment. Sadly I only took this up late in the piece and most of my creditors knew my mobile number anyway.

If you want to go ahead I can point you in the right direction.

Sounds a good idea, will it work phoning to a mobile..

will it work phoning to a mobile

TBH I don't know. I suspect you will have to pay for the mobile component of the call. I've amended my earlier message and inserted a link to the company I use. I'll send them an email.

I use a free Yac number - calls go straight to voicemail, and I then get a sound file by email. 1st Credit have spent around £50 calling it and leaving messages, sometimes for other people.

I looked at their site but it costs around £20 per month:eek:

See posts 4 and 8 above.

This is the reply I have received -

It is possible to route an 0871 number to a mobile, however, you will need a call planner solution to enable you this functionality. You will not generate a rebate and will be charged 15ppm for all calls received on a mobile.

The Call Planner solution is designed to never miss a call.

You can set your office hours to enable calls to route differently in hours and out of hours.

In hours you can route calls to up to three different target numbers, each for a set number of seconds, if the lines are busy or unanswered the call can divert to a busy voicemail service.

Out of hours calls either route to our out of hours voicemail service or to an alternative target number.

Any voicemails receives will be emailed to an address specified by yourself.

The voicemail service is chargeable 4.25 pence per recorded minute.

For more information on the call planner service please see the below link;

http://www.telecomsworldplc.co.uk/call-planner.asp

The Call Planner is one of their products.

So, yes, you can route calls to your mobile but it will cost you money. Other companies may do the same thing (I haven't checked) but I expect the charges will be much the same.

Personally I've gone with the basic 0871 number with no extras at all, and this is routed to my home office. I don't pay anything for this.

• 1 month later...

Would this statement apply to OC's and DCA's?

17. False accounting.

— (1) Where a person dishonestly, with a view to gain for himself or another or with intent to cause loss to another,— (a)

destroys, defaces, conceals or falsifies any account or any record or document made or required for any accounting purpose; or

(b)

in furnishing information for any purpose produces or makes use of any account, or any such record or document as aforesaid, which to his knowledge is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular;

he shall, on conviction on indictment, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding seven years.

(2) For purposes of this section a person who makes or concurs in making in an account or other document an entry which is or may be misleading, false or deceptive in a material particular, or who omits or concurs in omitting a material particular from an account or other document, is to be treated as falsifying the account or document.

Hell I could highlight the whole lot!

Oh I don't think there is any doubt that DCA commit fraud at every step of the Debt Collection process.

I have personally had dodgy NOA, empty threats, empty promises, misleading statements, misquotede legislation and downright lies and that was just from Cabot.

The problem is, the police and trading standards aren't interested and they are the ones who would enforce fraud/deception charges

The reason I ask is that this is what the MP's caught fiddling their expenses are being charged under. Surely if an MP can be charged so can a DCA/OC, maybe the MP's themselves need to persue this and say they are being unfairly discriminated against as it is not normal for the police to involved in such matters!