A tricky situation !

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if i have posted this in the correct forum, but here goes....

My parents split up and divorced about 10 years ago, at that point my mother bought my father out and gave him half the value of the house at that time.

About two and a half years ago my fathers new wife left him and they seperated and are in the motions of divorce, they sold their house and split the money accordingly.

The money he now has left over is not enough to buy him any more than a one bedroom flat and he has managed to charm his way back into my mothers house (no mortgage) where he has been for just over two years.

He pays no rent but does contribute a small amount to the household bills.

Unfortunately my father is an alcoholic and a womaniser and my mum has had enough and is thinking of asking him to leave

She is worried that he can have a claim on the house,

Any advice or help as to whether this is the case would be hugely appreciated !!

Thanks

Assuming the divorce was finalised, there is no connection and I'm assuming they're not living as 'man and wife'? It may be best to get formal advice as your mum needs to ensure there can be no claim on her remaining estate (should she die) or be involved in a protracted and costly legal action to protect her sole interests, which ultimately would fail, but still could be costly nevertheless to protect. A mandate signed by him confirming no claim on the property may be a wise precaution.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation. She found out her husband was cheating on her so they sold the house and came to an arrangement financially. She then bought a new house. Her ex husband is a manic depressive and has been in a bad way for a number of years. She agreed to let him live at the new house, but only after checking on the legal position. She was advised that as the decree absolute had come through and they were not living as man and wife that he would have no claim on the property.