PPC - Trolls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5832 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It is becoming more and more obvious in recent days that these Private Parking Companies (PPC's) who issue unenforcable invoices, are trawling through these forums and forums on other consumer advice websites.

These "trolls" use different methods, some offer incorrect advice, some will even portay to be another victim of these PPC's

If you receive an invoice for allegedly breach of contract or some other fantasy reason, and you need the help of people on these or any other forum, please bare in mind the following.

1. Do I need to mention the PPC issing the invoice?
  2. Do I need to mention the carpark/location?
  3. Do I need to mention what type of vehicle I have?
  4. Do I need to mention my Vehicle Registration Mark?

Before posting remind yourself about the above, of course this list is not exhaustive, simply think before you post, and ensure you do NOT include ANY personal or identifying information.

If you are asked to scan a copy of the invoice, this could be 100% genuine, but before you post it, ensure you REMOVE ALL and ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION, this will most likely include, but not limited to.

1. Vehicle Registration Mark (This is obvious for the reasons)
  2. Invoice Number (Company will be able to look up details)
  3. Invoice Date & Time (PPCs who don't issue that many will simply search the date and time and find your details)
  4. Location of Issue (As above, search the location)
  5. Vehicle Type (If your vehicle is unique its not going to be to difficult for them)
  6. Vehicle Colour (As above)

And if also possible, any information identifying the PPC that issued the invoice.

Several reasons for this, these PPC's are ever increasingly searching the internet and have identified victims from the information supplied, and it is therefore highly likely that any information obtained will be used against them.

If you receive a private message from someone offering "Help" or claiming to be a victim like yourself, ask yourself this, "Why is the person posting to me, I can't help them, I'm in the same position as them." And if these people are asking for your details, then I would recommend you report the person to a Forum Moderator.

And finally, remember you aren't on your own in fighting these PPC's, don't be afraid to post, but just becareful on what information you do post.

• Haha 1

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.

On a positive note - similar tactics have been employed for a long time in the debt collection forums and if CAG wasn't hurting these guys and how they operate then they wouldn't be interested in the forums on the site. Keep up the good work guys and remember to remind people who are new to the forums that it's important to remain as unidentifiable as possible.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Very good advice but very sad that you have to give it. Then again we would not have so many trolls unless this site is hurting their business (and I suppose having them tied up here is no bad thing in itself). In most cases the hidden agenda of the poster becomes obvious after a few posts. However it does mean that those freely giving of their own time to advise on the forum will have to give some thought as to whether the post is genuine or a PPC troll/timewaster.

And for some stupid reason, they always seem to choose a weird username !

All opinions & information are the personal view of the poster, and are not that of any organisation, company or employer. Any information disclosed by the poster is for personal use only. Permission to process this data under the Data Protection act is NOT GIVEN to any company, only personal readers.

Unfortunately, not always.

The cleverer ones will try to be less noticeable.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

without wishing to sound like a troll/perky, I will ask the question in the full acceptance that i will now be classed as one.

If the site and members are so confident that a ppc ticket is an unenforceable invoice why does it tell members to hide their identity and only write back saying take it up with the driver ?

Surely if, as the opinion seems that ALL private parking tickets are unenforceable you would be saying as such and that you would love to defend it in court ???

Just had a thought:

If people dont name these companies, then won't google not pick it up when its 'spidering' its pages - thus when an unsuspecting punter gets a ticket, and googles the company name, they get the official website of the company, not the CAG website - telling them the truth about these 'tickets'.

All opinions & information are the personal view of the poster, and are not that of any organisation, company or employer. Any information disclosed by the poster is for personal use only. Permission to process this data under the Data Protection act is NOT GIVEN to any company, only personal readers.

Just had a thought:

If people dont name these companies, then won't google not pick it up when its 'spidering' its pages - thus when an unsuspecting punter gets a ticket, and googles the company name, they get the official website of the company, not the CAG website - telling them the truth about these 'tickets'.

You have a point but for one particular company, whose identity should by now be obvious and whose agents seem to spend far more time on here than issuing tickets, it is dangerous to reveal too much. You only have to look at their website to see what they are capable of. Posters should not reveal anything that will tend to identify them, given that lurkers for this company with too much time on their hands are clearly waiting to pounce. It is sad to have to recommend this action but when you have PPC trolls trying to pull the wool over and trying all sorts of sad bluffs(until their agenda becomes transparently obvious) it is a wise thing to do.

I understand what you are saying Mark - but if you were an unsuspecting person who had been 'ticketed' - then you would more than likely google the company name. If you came across the infamous company site first - with all its legal 'pay up or we will take your house' type of stuff, you are more likely to stop searching the net, and pay up. If the first hit that comes up is this site, then its most likely you wont pay up !.

For those that are more technically minded - is there a way of keeping this site on top of google listings, or is it only by activity of the company name ?

Just another thought - perhaps there should be a section of this forum where users can name other users who they think are acting suspiciously and may be 'trolls'? The moderators can investigate and the suspected troll will of course have the right to respond but usually it is fairly obvious after a short time that they are only on here to harrass and cause inconvenience and distress.

I am a member of a couple of other forums and this is standard practice. Once the suspicious user is identified and confirmed as being a 'troll', they are warned, suspended or banned permanently from the forum. What does anyone think of this idea?

Good examples of this being Spiceskull, Bookworm and HSBCrusher...among others...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Because an IP address can be used to identify a person, so if for example, My IP address appeared on here, and say my internet provider was XYZ Internet, and I had a problem with XYZ Internet, and posted here for advice, then it would identify me to them.

Also, people who post from work in lunch break or spare time or ofcourse in accordance with the companies policy on internet usage, it could and most likely will lead to people finding out who employs the user.

The IP address is visable to Moderators and Administrators of course by just clicking a button link on the post.

Thanks

- Hobbie

--------------------------------------------------------

Under no circumstances should you speak with a Debt Collections Agency via telephone, request that all future correspondence is done in writing, a letter template for this can be located here.

Any views expressed are solely that of my own, any advice or information offered is provided in genuine good faith, and should be checked prior to acting upon.