Help! - AMEX No CCA and they've started court action. **DISCONTINUED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3909 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Humbleman,

I know what you mean but to be fair to the judge he was critical of the claimant on several counts. I can only assume he wants to see their representative in court to tell them in person what he thinks of their disregard of court instructions.

Update:

Contacted the court to find out the latest as the claimant hasn't provided the information as directed by the court they're now 6 weeks over the deadline and I must admit to feeling helpless here. If I'd had instructions from the court I would have made darn sure I would have supplied the requested information.

Anyway the case has now been scheduled for a Case Conference sometime in the new year. Not what I wanted to hear but hey that's how our system works!

Any advice on my next move greatly received and scales will be clicked with gusto.

CP

• 1 month later...

hey tiokim

im sure some experienced cag member will come along soon to see what your next action should be, anyway good luck lets hope it could be good news for you

ciao for now maz

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

Update:

All quiet I'm afraid. The case is due to be heard in the new year, possibly February or March.

AMEX still haven't responded to the court instructions to provide the information requested, the deadline was August.

I'm looking at the 'unless order' route as suggested by Tinkerbell. They have ignored the court and not provided the details asked for and ordered by the judge.

CP

Would it be worth writing to the court, advising them that Amex have not complied with a court order to provide information. You are due to attend a court for a Case Conference and fear you will be unprepared without the necessary paperwork. Amex, frustrating your ability to defend yourself, etc. Include copies of the Judge's instructions to Amex.

Perhaps other CAGers will be able to advise you better.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi there,

sorry it's dragging on for you CP.

Given the much overdue deadline, can you not apply to to the Court for an 'Unless Order'.

I know it involves a fee, but if possible, should be worth it...no documents, no case surely ?

most other cases seem to have a judge giving max 28 days to comply, so why can't such an application be made ?

regards

BP :???:

ps started another thread of my own with an AMEX/CSL farce - any advice welcomed !

BeanPole :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Fellow CAG'ers.

Just a quick update:

Still waiting to hear from the court regards the directions hearing. Was suggested it would be Feb / March but that now seems unlikely.

I took advice on the 'unless' route and was told to wait until the hearing then hit them with the request in front of the judge. This would be dealt with there and then by the judge and avoid the fee.

If I don't get a hearing date within the next ten days I'll invest in the court fee for the 'unless' route.

CP

Thanks Foolishgirl,

I must admit using the hearing to lob another spanner in the works ie: the Unless Order seems a good ploy. The friend who advised me has used this tactic several times - not always for unless orders but other things too, and its worked a treat. Obviously no guarantee but worth watching the opposition squirm!

I'll keep you posted.

CP

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Its a good one. :D But I need to respond quickly due to a pending court hearing.

AMEX and their legal begals have written to me to say.

'Upon consideration of this matter and in an attempt to save further time and costs our client is, on a without prejudice basis, prepared to agree with you that their above claim be dismissed, on the basis that there be no Order as to Costs'

So I / We (CAG) have WON.

But a few questions. The Consent Order they've sent has two points

1: Their claim be dismissed. :D

2: There be no Order for Costs.

If I agree to point 2 does that mean I can't go after them for the time I've had off work to go to court (one case conference already) and the hours spent dealing with paperwork?

OK my gut feeling is to sign and let the matter rest but I will bow to others knowledge on this point.

They want me to contact them asap to avoid going to another court hearing scheduled shortly.

CP.

Hi CP, I hope this is great news for you.:D Congrats.

I don't know for sure, but it does appear that you will have to waive rights to cover any of your costs.

From what I have seen elsewhere, my only thought is that if you 'agree', then be very careful and clear that them giving up is reflected officially through the court....just getting a letter from them does not necessarily stop court action unless you have confirmation through the legal process.

As I said, hopefully others better versed than I, will be along soon to confirm what steps you should take to put an end to it all.

...in the meantime, well done.

BP

;)

BeanPole :)

CP,

This sounds absolutely brilliant!!! :D

Personally I would grab it and write off the time spent, but of course I am a wimp who does not want her day in court at all, so I would be jumping up and down with glee.

Others may think you should take them on further, but maybe if you don't accept they could push on. I doubt if very much, but I suppose they could.

I'd be more concerned about getting them to agree to remove any defaults (if you have them).

I am sooooo pleased for you.

DD

Update:

Its a good one. :D But I need to respond quickly due to a pending court hearing.

'Upon consideration of this matter and in an attempt to save further time and costs our client is, on a without prejudice basis, prepared to agree with you that their above claim be dismissed, on the basis that there be no Order as to Costs'

If I agree to point 2 does that mean I can't go after them for the time I've had off work to go to court (one case conference already) and the hours spent dealing with paperwork?

OK my gut feeling is to sign and let the matter rest but I will bow to others knowledge on this point.

They want me to contact them asap to avoid going to another court hearing scheduled shortly.

CP.

Congratulations CP. This is the first case I have come across where Brachers have caved in like this, very odd but great for you!

Can you provide more details as to what happened at your case conference? This may be key for the rest of us.

Update:

CP.

Well it sounds good at first glance CP as they obviously can't produce the CCA & would be in breach of the court order if they turned up again without it.

However be very wary with consent orders. They are not always what they seem. The 'no order as to costs' bit means that each party has to bear his own costs of the part of the proceedings to which the order relates whatever costs order the court makes at the end of the proceedings. It does not mean that costs cannot be claimed.

If you agree to an application for a consent order you should also agree a figure for costs to be inserted in the order so that there can be no further claims.

I suspect that Amex may be seeking this order to get it discontinued 'by the back door' & then hit you with a good chunk of their legal bill. You would also be able to claim your costs in the event of their discontinuence as their action would have been vexatious etc. with little chance of succeeding.

It looks as though they have no CCA. If it was me I'd go to court & get it thrashed out properly with a judgment against them, then go for your costs.

I've not had much experience with COs but suggest you get further advice before you accept carte blanche.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Well it sounds good at first glance CP as they obviously can't produce the CCA & would be in breach of the court order if they turned up again without it.

However be very wary with consent orders. They are not always what they seem. The 'no order as to costs' bit means that each party has to bear his own costs of the part of the proceedings to which the order relates whatever costs order the court makes at the end of the proceedings. It does not mean that costs cannot be claimed.

If you agree to an application for a consent order you should also agree a figure for costs to be inserted in the order so that there can be no further claims.

I suspect that Amex may be seeking this order to get it discontinued 'by the back door' & then hit you with a good chunk of their legal bill. You would also be able to claim your costs in the event of their discontinuence as their action would have been vexatious etc. with little chance of succeeding.

It looks as though they have no CCA. If it was me I'd go to court & get it thrashed out properly with a judgment against them, then go for your costs.

I've not had much experience with COs but suggest you get further advice before you accept carte blanche.

I agree with your fist piece of advice but not the second. This is a victory and Amex/Brachers are agreeing to discontinue if each party accepts their own costs so providing the OP gets the wording correct (i.e. there will be no further claims either for the disputed account OR costs), then this will prevent further litigation for costs.

You summed it up perfectly monty - 'so providing the OP gets the wording correct'.

My message was just 'be aware, be very careful'.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

You summed it up perfectly monty - 'so providing the OP gets the wording correct'.

My message was just 'be aware, be very careful'.

Thanks FG, we are in agreement. I am sure pt or one of the site team can provide something that others have used since this type of agreement will have been executed before.

I would just advise against pushing Amex or Brachers any further if you have what looks like a fantastic victory. There is a lot going on with Amex at the moment in my own case and others - I will post up more on my own case when I am able to do so. Beware that Amex and Brachers monitor this site. Be in no doubt about that.

Edited by Monty2007

Hello Again,

I've a fax copy of the Consent Order which reads:

Before District Judge

Upon Reading the consent of the parties endorsed hereon

And By Consent

It Is Ordered That:

1: The claimant's claim under Part 7 of the Civil Procedure Rules issued under Claim Number xxxxxxxxxxxx in respect of account number xxxxxxxxx be dismissed.

We agree to an order in the above terms

Then there is both parties names and addresses and a space for signatures.

Does this end the case completely? Advice please.

CP

Hi Louloujs,

Thank you but I couldn't have done it without the help of this site.

When court paperwork drops on your doormat you certainly miss a heart beat... or three. CAG has been fantastic and highlights that in many cases the big boys don't play by the rules and push their luck hoping we don't know the law and what we can do.

Once I have all the paperwork with the Ts crossed and Is dotted I'll post up more information in the hope it will help others. In this case a few small, but vital, errors were made which strengthened my defence.

CP

• Haha 1