Being harrased by Fraud Prevention

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay so there I am, eating my dinner at a local chinese restaurant when my mobile rings... excusing myself from my husband, i answer it, to be told "Good afternoon Mrs Skyelet, My name is ______ from HSBC Fraud Prevention Department, blah blah blah, can you confirm these transactions were carried out by yourself on the 21st April of this year...."

I stopped him there.... YET AGAIN HSBC were quizzing my transactions. This is not the first time I've had a call from them. They have also put blocks on my card when I have been shopping in my local supermarkets and corner shops.

4 times yes FOUR times in the last month, they have declined my card when there has been sufficient funds in my account ( Im a firm believer of internet banking to check my funds each morning before I go to the shops ).

3 of these times, the shop has been busy, queues behind me, people looking funny at the young girl in the shop with her toddler, tryna buy stuff with a card thats been rejected. SO EMBARRASING to say the least. The lastest 2 episodes I have stood at the till, called HSBC myself from my mobile, asked why they have blocked my card and been put through to the FPT ( fraud prevention team ) "Good afternoon Mrs Skyelet, My name is ______ from HSBC Fraud Prevention Department, blah blah blah, can you confirm these transactions were carried out by yourself on...."

Costing me time, and money on my PAYG mobile phone.

Okay I know Im ranting on, I know that FPT are there to ensure my account is not being hijacked or fraudulently used. But fgs, surely this is harrasment?

This afternoon took the buiscotti. I asked to speak to the persons team manager who then stuttered and hung up (on purpose or by accident i dunno) So i thought right, okay, enjoy my meal, deal with it when i get home. But no, 5mins later, phone goes again

"Good afternoon Mrs Skyelet, My name is ______ from HSBC Fraud Prevention Department, blah blah blah, can you confirm these transactions were carried out by yourself on the 21st April of this year...."

I just cut her off her sentence and asked for her manager. She passed me through to someone who claimed to be "in authority" at the call centre ( based in India i might ilke to add) they assured me that they had my best interests in mind blah blah, so i explained that it was embarrasing, not to mention inconveinient, and above all, it was intrusive. I also mentioned that my husband has had his HSBC card years more than me, and he has not once had a call. I also mentioned that I was thinking of changing banks because of the OTT FP on my account. He assured me that there was a note on my account that now stated that unless there is extreme reason for suspicion that all transactions were to be allowed and I should not get a call again.

Was this a wise move ? Should I have let them put this note on? Surely I was in the right to stop them snooping around my purchases and transactions, as I already said, i check my internet banking every morning more or less anyway....

Will they continue to call/sotp transactions anyway ?

Advice needed to a very concered second time round mum-to-be.

regards

Skyelet

HSBC Credit Card - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received a blank form

Barclays Partner Finance - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Recieved nothing

GE Capital Bank - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received signed true copy

Argos Card Services - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received nothing

Well - you'll not get far with harassment, but it might be prudent to take your custom elsewhere, and perhaps one that uses a UK call centre? The note placed on screen will serve no useful purpose, as the FPT calls are automatic, and the operator will only read it when actually connected to you (which could explain the disconnection!).

I used to have exactly the same thing with First Direct, I assume it's the same team. In the space of about 3 months my card was blocked until I phoned them to be told "The security team need to speak to you". They checked a couple of transactions and then release the card again which is a real pain when trying to buy a monthly travelcard at 7am on a Monday morning.

What annoys me is they kept saying "A letter has gone out asking you to contact us, you can ignore it now"

A letter? What's the point ini that, I use the card most days so I was going to find a problem before I received any letter. Then final straw came when a cash machine in Marrakech took my card and it cost me a fortune in international calls to find out what happened.

I took the same approach and said if they keep blocking my card, I'm switching, if they want to do security checks, try a contact me and if they can't within 24 hours block the card otherwise don't contact me ever again. I haven't heard for 8 months.

Okay so I just called them to find out if I can have a cheque garuntee card, to be told "No because my account doesn't meet the criteria" I asked if it was becuase my account was in the overdraft to which I got the reply, try again in 3 months....

Any advice on this ? Can I formally apply for a Cheque Garuntee Card or should I try another bank ?

HSBC Credit Card - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received a blank form

Barclays Partner Finance - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Recieved nothing

GE Capital Bank - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received signed true copy

Argos Card Services - CCA sent 16.09.08 - Received nothing

I know what you mean about the irritating fraud prevention - that was Nat West's favourite trick when I had a Step account. If I used the card three times in a row (which I quite frequently did around payday) their fraud prevention kicked in which annoyed me greatly!! I told them this was ridiculous but they said 'there was nothing they could do and I should be grateful for the protection!'

I then upgraded to an Advantage Gold still with a Solo card and used it repeatedly (once at Xmas 8 times in a row) without a single problem. I pointed this out to them, saying it would seem that because I only had a Step account they were pointing the finger as the banks are always bleating that 'there are high levels of fraud on basic accounts' They said 'tehy could find no evidence of this.' So I voted with my feet - I went to Alliance and Leicester, shamefully I have to admit to using my Visa Debit from them 16 times in one day and they didnt say a word! Some banks are just way too overzealous.... i advise you to go elsewhere, they dont like that :D

THE PRETENDER AGENDA - August 30,2008 - 2ND ROW!!! WOO-HOO!! :-)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR A FAB NITE LEE! xx

Sunderland 011008 - THE BEST BIRTHDAY PRESSIE EVER! 'Aww, it's your birthday! Happy birthday darlin!'

02 Apr 2008, 23:55

OfficialLeeRyan wrote:

i like that!! its simple and good and gets the fans involved aswell x x x

MY SUCCESSES -

1st Credit (Lloyds TSB) admitted no CCA, reply from OFT 130608, reply from FOS 040608, adjudication stage rejected but still no contact....

My mate (Littlewoods/Moorcroft)

300608 -Long running battle,threatening court, CCA letter NO 2 and harrassment letter sent - passed back to Littlewoods early July.

070808 - Passed to Debt Managers, Acct in dispute/BOG OFF letter sent 080808...

140808 - Letter from Debt Managers passing debt back to Littlewoods - RESULT! :D