buying a static caravan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3881 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i would like to inform people about the pitfalls of buying a static caravan,

we bought one back in sept 2005 we paid £38.000 for it, it was top of the range, i kept it in pristine condition even having the plastic covering on the dining chairs kept it really clean, never let anybody use it except my familly, we had to sell it due to my husband relocating to the south with his job, also the site fees went up £900 and still going up so we thought we would just have to cut our losses, you were also not allowed to rent it out, we knew this anyway, we had problems selling it private they made it awkward anyway, never got back to us for 3 months after we informed them of our intentions to sell. we got back £12.000 and that was supposed to be the book value, so i would like to tell people that you will loose a lot of money buying a caravan and would like to inform people of this BEWARE THEY ARE RUTHLESS

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Juliex,

Thats a big loss in just a few years. Could you live in one permanently?

If yes than it may be affordable living.

Why would'nt they allow you to rent it out?

Started claim with Halifax on 30/04/08

Sent 1st letter for bank charges and interest

If this has been helpful then please give the Scales a click. Thanks

Amazes me the cost of these things

Worse is the residential units where I have seen second hand "double" units on sale as high as £120,000, absolutely insane (especially as you have to pay ground rent on top)

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

• 1 month later...

How long did you have the caravan?

As you say you bought in 2005 and posted in 2008, it is fair to assume that the caravan was 3 years old when sold.

As caravans depreciate like cars - it is to be expected that the caravan will sell for less than half the purchase price - the remainder of the shortfall may be partly due to the economic slowdown.

Too many people think that buying a caravan is an investment - it is not. It is a way of ensuring comfortable, clean family holiday accommodation (and look on the travel forum for enough horror stories about apartments abroad) for 10 years or more.

You can't really compare the ownership costs with caravan rental - as the rental units almost always have had much more wear and tear.

British Shoe Corporation - won :) BT - won :) West Lancs Council - lost :-x 02 - won :) British Airways - still fighting :o STOP PRESS - RSPCA - daughter won with letters I wrote :)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Juliex,

Thats a big loss in just a few years. Could you live in one permanently?

If yes than it may be affordable living.

Why would'nt they allow you to rent it out?

Usually these sites are licensed, I believe the residential ones allow you to live on site for 46 out of 52 weeks without having to incur normal council tax.

If it is a residential site you are not permitted to rent it out, although many do, as this would in breach of the site owners license.

Amazes me the cost of these things

Worse is the residential units where I have seen second hand "double" units on sale as high as £120,000, absolutely insane (especially as you have to pay ground rent on top)

The vans near us can vary massively in value, dependant on the location, for example, near us a single small van will cost £105,000, however around 12miles away, on a very nice site they are selling 5 bedroom doubles (in the style of a log cabin) for £135,000.

The main problem is you cannot get a mortgage only HP/Lease finance, and sites around here require you to upgrade in a minimum of 10 years earlier if it looks shabby.

You have to purchase the new van off of the site, and usually sell the old one back, with which you will be offered nothing.

Seriously big business up here now, with sites changing hands for enormous amounts of money.

Sharkie

• 10 months later...

The main problem is you cannot get a mortgage only HP/Lease finance, and sites around here require you to upgrade in a minimum of 10 years earlier if it looks shabby.

You have to purchase the new van off of the site, and usually sell the old one back, with which you will be offered nothing.

Seriously big business up here now, with sites changing hands for enormous amounts of money.

Unfair term in contract, without a shadow of a doubt

But I would agree this is common place, I have family in the business and I believe they practice this

:(

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

hi this was originally my post last year,

time has gone on from this but we are still paying for this caravan we do not have.. so anyway we are happy we do not have it anymore and if it gets through to people the pitfalls of buying one i am most happy we put it down to the worst purchase that we ever did they so rip u off our pitfall was buying a caravan for a lot of money,, if anyone is intersested in buying one do it under £10.000 you will be a lot more safe as long as you nearly pay for it!!! the main reason we had to get rid of it was the company put the site fees up 800 pounds and then the next year was to be more so in all was nearly a thousand pounds so we cut our losses...big time we have put it down to experience. so be warned

anyone needs any help feel free lo

julie x

• 1 year later...
hello every one i too am a static caravan owner and i would advise anyone interested in buying a static caravan to talk to other owners before buying

We were thinking of buying as static caravan any pointers would be great, thank you.

• 1 month later...

My daughter and son in law took a loan out to buy their static caravan in June 2009. In February this year they split up. They have therefore been trying to sell the caravan since March this year. The caravan is an 8 berth, really well looked after, clean and fully equipped for letting and it's on a nice site. Unfortunately, they have had little interest from anyone wanting to buy it. I think this is mainly due to the reputation of caravan Site Owners. They are becoming well known for ripping people off and people are thinking twice about committing themselves. People are better informed now about all the costs involved in buying a static caravan and are becoming reluctant to purchase. All the rules seem to be in favour of the site owners - they seem to be able to do what they want and put a charge on anything and everything - it's disgusting. A family who have recently spent a weekend in the caravan, with a view of buying, have said they really enjoyed it, no problems with the caravan but have been put off by the "horror stories" regarding the site owners, costs etc. My daughter has reduced the price of the caravan by £1100 and is willing to negotiate further on the sale price. But people are put off by the 15% commission plus VAT, plus site fees and rates etc etc. I just dread to think what else they will add on. It would seem such a shame (as well as a huge loss financially) if she has to let a dealer have the caravan for peanuts. (I feel better for getting that off my chest!!!)

• 3 weeks later...

i am new on here, but would like to share my experience in the hope someone, hopefully a solicitor can help me - i will try and keep it short

i own a static home on a five star site near blackpool - all was going well until january this year when we received a call from the site informing us someone had been using our home - we had not given any permission - the site office said they would not give the keys out, but we certainly never - so who did, you work it out - everything in the caravan had been used, including the beds, when the office responded to a neighbours call, they went to my van and found the tv on, someone had got out quick = they do not want to know, absolutely useless, so we are now moving and trying to sell the home and not being offered anywhere near what we paid - i ask the site to buy it back, they said no - i asked them to sell it for me without charging any commission as a form of compensation, they laughed at me and said no, everything was no - when i sell the van i will be back on here and name the site etc, dont worry about that, but would appreciate any help or info, especially as i say from a solicitor or similar please contact 0151 474 6999 or 07786 954092 ask for larry

• 1 month later...

lolball

Have you had any luck with any contacts or any help or info on this subject of rip off caravan sites? I have been trying for ages to get more info but it seems that everybody just clams up. I would be more than willing to swap any info I have re trying to get a fair deal, money back etc. If it is OK to give you a call I am more than willing to do that, I have the numbers off the post.

• 3 months later...

Usefull info:

Buying A Holiday Home

Owning a Static Caravan gives you the freedom of owning a real ‘home away from home’, With your own holiday caravan you have the freedom to choose unlimited holidays at a moment’s notice, and you can even make extra money from turning your spare weeks into holiday rental income.

A Static Caravan holiday home is a major investment and we urge you to complete as much research as you can prior to purchasing. Some owners rent their holiday caravan when not in use to help subsidize the costs associated with ownership.

The location of any holiday home is important, it should be one of your prime considerations. With so many holiday parks in so many beautiful parts of England, Scotland and Wales it’s hard to go wrong. One thing to watch is the drive time: if it’s more than two or three hours from home, you may not go as often as you’d like to and may not make the buy worthwhile.

Once you’ve chosen your preferred area, take a visit, try Caravan Hire for a weekend or short break to get a feel for the park. You will benefit from the sales team being able to show you available plots and the different specifications and layouts of Static Caravans.

You may want to be near the beach, for instance, need somewhere that’s pet friendly. You may wish for a golf club within reach, a launching area for Jet Ski or a spa and fitness complex. Some parks will be tailored to meet the needs of families with young children, with excellent facilities including the all-important pool, whilst others have a quieter, more relaxed feel that appeals to a very different buyer.

Listings on our website show the facilities on each park and sometimes what’s available in the local area.

Once you’ve got a shortlist, ask the parks to send you their brochure. Check the opening times – many close for one or two months in winter

After you find your location, comes the “what’s the cost”, and this can be complicated because buying a holiday home is not the same as buying a house or flat. It’s more like buying a car, with the option to park it in a certain place for a certain length of time. Where you park it, and for how long, will affect the price you pay. Also take into consideration that you may need to purchase bottled gas, electric and insurance.

Look at a copy of the contract that you will be asked to sign when you buy. Attention should be given to the length of the contract, as this determines how many years you can keep your holiday home on the site. Ten years should be the minimum for a caravan but the term may be longer. Some agreements will allow you to keep your caravan on the park indefinitely, provided that you pay the appropriate fees and keep your caravan in good condition.

Find out what rules the parks have, for example: Will you be allowed to sublet and, if so, will you be able to advertise? Are pets allowed? Will you and your renters have free use of facilities such as a pool? If you decide to sell the home or to move it off the park, how much will you be charged? Look at the annual pitch fee, management fees – which can be considerable – and charges for utilities, rates and insurance.

The price of a home may not be straightforward. If you’re buying a new holiday home – as opposed to one already in the park – ask if there will be extra to pay for having it transported from the factory, sited on the pitch and commissioned (connected to utilities). It can be cheaper to buy extras such as double glazing and upgraded heating at the outset. Carpets, furnishings and kitchen appliances are usually included in the price.

When completing your sale you will be required to sign a purchase / license agreement that formalizes your contract with the holiday park owner. It is very important that you read and understand all terms and conditions. As with many consumer contracts a lot of people are put off by small print and simply do not read before signing but it is vital that you understand your responsibilities and those of the park owner.

It is crucial that you read and understand this agreement before signing as it outlines the responsibilities of all parties.

Holiday homes can be used for short breaks and longer holidays, but they cannot be used as your main residence. They depreciate in value and may not be an investment for the future.

Sited Static Caravans are very susceptible to depreciation in the early years of ownership as a Static Caravan is effectively sold as a package with your choice of pitch. Generally holiday parks will only offer you the ‘trade value’ for your Static Caravan should you wish to sell. This offer will be based on the value of the Static Caravan only. Should you sell privately most holiday park agreements will have restrictions and require a commission to be paid to the park owner. You may also find wear and tear increases should you rent your Static Caravan as visitors outside of your friends and family may not treat it with the same respect. You could use the Caravans To Rent section on our website to let out your caravan

For this reason we recommend that potential buyers fully research their purchase to ensure they are making the right long term decision

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Holiday parks are not above and beyond the law. I took one to court last year to get a refund on pre-paid site fees and won and since found out that there have been at least 3 other cases against this same site so there must be a fair few other sites who have been sued and lost. Yes they are ruthless and yes they do think they are a law unto themselves but there are consumer and contract laws which can be and are applied to these vultures.

Taking these vultures to court requires a lot of homework and a very very good knowledge of the OFT regs relating to agreements for holiday caravans, it is extremely useful. A good knowledge of contract law is also very useful and both of these guides can be downloaded from the OFT website and it is well worth doing. Even when you have signed their mostly biased terms and conditions all is not lost. It is when these vultures enforce these terms that the OFT guides really come into effect. These were the guides I used to get my refund, plus court costs, plus bailiff fees when they didn't pay up on time so regardless of what the salesman tells you if there's an unfair term in the agreement, and most of them have at least 1, it can be challenged.

The 15% commission, according to the OFT can also be challenged. Outright extortion, just greedy site owners licence to grab more money for doing absolutely nothing.

• 5 months later...

The 15% commission, according to the OFT can also be challenged. Outright extortion, just greedy site owners licence to grab more money for doing absolutely nothing.

That is the maximum permitted by the industry Code of Practice, which was written by legal professionals as I understand it and I'm pretty sure it is agreed with the OFT that the terms are fair. I doubt that could be easily challenged actually.

Trouble is some people get stung by unscrupulous park owners and then that's what you read about on the internet, people blowing off steam about how they got shafted. If it was all that bad, there would be no holiday parks.

In my experience unhappy static owners are often owners on big commercial parks with entertainment centres and huge running costs. You pays your money, you takes you choice and all that and I'd avoid such placed like the plague myself, wouldn't even rent a van on such a park. This year alone we've had around half a dozen calls from people wishing to relocate from their large commercial park, as they could be with us, by the sea, paying half the site fees they were paying and they don't have to rent their caravan out to pay their bills.

I really feel sorry for parkhome owners who've been stung by foul-play such as land-leasing arrangements however, that is a truly disgusting practice and operators who are seen to be cheating the system in such a way should be removed from the industry. Most park operators I know however are honest, hardworking people with family-run businesses. So it's not all bad, there are good operators out here too, just be careful when you choose your park!!!

Meadyboy, I quite agree there are some very good, honest and trustworthy parks; I have a static on one of them at the moment and couldn't fault the park or its owner. I was trying to let people know that there are ways to get a fair deal if they happen to have the mis-fortune to deal with one of these money grabbing sites. Fortunately they are in the minority and this minority gives the whole industry a bad name. There are guidelines for park operators and the trade organisations also have codes of practice. Those sites that don't play by the rules should have their licence suspended until they comply with what are in the main fair rules.

Persistence in making complaints to the trade organisations that these rogue sites belong to can result in action being taken against them. Unfortunately there are so many people who have been ripped off but who won't report it due to fear of reprisals and intimidation. I rightly claimed a refund of pre-paid site fees, the site had charged twice for the same pitch for the same period, but when I sold my 'van there were quite a few other owners who also sold their 'vans and who were flatly refused a refund. It's this sort of practice that has to be stamped out along with the excessive commission charge. The decent sites do work for their commission, there is no quibble about that. It is the sites that charge for doing absolutely nothing and who change original agreements without consultation or agreement with the owner who should be challenged. No-one objects to paying fees as long as they are fully detailed from the outset and are fair.

If you have a look at the consultation carried out by the OFT when drafting the guidelines, it does give the impression that certain practices are open to challenge and that the OFT had to agree compromises with the industry. There are clauses in the model agreements which have been clarified and/or changed fairly recently but ultimately it is up to the consumer to challenge these terms using consumer protection legislation. Caravan owners have little or no rights with holiday caravans and are reluctant to challenge any unfair charges, over charging for gas and electricity or being compelled to accept over priced tradespeople. Although I can understand a site wanting to use tradespeople to keep uniformity, their charges should still be competitive. There are rules for these charges, most sites abide by these rules; it's the sites who think they are laws unto themselves that need to be sorted out. A static is an expensive item and pretty useless without a site to station it and that's exactly why so many owners just put up with unscrupulous site owners who are thankfully in the minority.

Unfortunately no matter how much research you do you can never completely be sure that a site is acting fairly. The vast majority are fair but it is sometimes difficult to spot a rogue until a problem arises

• 1 month later...
Hi, im actually a sales person on a caravan park on the Mid wales coast, please feel free to ask me any questions!!

Hi my mum is thinking of purchasing a lodge caravan for the price of 100k but they have qouted 145 with siting fees, building a veranda and the moving of the van. Now I have no idea how long the lodge has been open on show but surley we should get some sort of discount due to wear and tear, also my mum is doing a cash deal again surley this would bring the price down. Can you please advise how a sale like this would go? Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone.

I`m thinking to buy a static caravan with the pitch. I`m really new in this .Is anybody who can help me with information or with a website where should i find information about buying pitch? How is it going?

Where can I buy pitch for my static caravan or where can i buy both together?I am trying to surfing on the internet but i couldnt find a useful link for myself.

Thank you very much for any helpful information!

Many people have huge issues with static caravans. Why don't you consider something like a Bailey Retreat touring caravan on a seasonal site. This is a larger than normal caravan but it can still be towed behind a vehicle weighing 3501kgs plus so no low loaders involved. If you don't like the site, at the end of the season you move on. If you don't like the neighbours you use a 4 x 4 to tow it to another pitch on the same site. Lot less hassle and worry.

Hiya.

Thank you for your answer. To be honest i`d like to buy a static house because i`d like to let.So thats why i`m looking for static house. Do you know something about this please? Thx:)

Unfortunately nothing good that I can pass on. Can I suggest that you Google using "static caravans" and "con"