• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5045 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

imagine them paying billions to the people that put them where they are today - it will kill some banks - hopefully HBOS!

You dont want this to happen...if banks started to fall over the people who will be affected the most will be the small people! With banks falling over and other banks not lending money to each other then no one will be offering mortgages OR only offering mortgages to the rich, which in turn means property owners lose out (again, the most affected will be the small people), people will lose jobs...and unlike what Photoman is saying, money will be sucked out of the economy, not invested in to it!

Banks falling over, no matter how satisfying personally this may be...would be a very bad thing for the economy.

Mailman

this wont happen for the simple fact is the goverment have already made a decision to remove the FOI ACT concerning NORTHERN ROCK and its data as being sensitive information,this will also effect the banks ALL BANKS from revealing sensitive information and since the GOVERMENT DECIDED TO CHANGE THE LAW this will set a precedent concerning the bank providing data in how they arrive at the charges,this has happened right under our noses and without so much as a whimper from joe public

imho

patrickq1

You dont want this to happen...if banks started to fall over the people who will be affected the most will be the small people! With banks falling over and other banks not lending money to each other then no one will be offering mortgages OR only offering mortgages to the rich, which in turn means property owners lose out (again, the most affected will be the small people), people will lose jobs...and unlike what Photoman is saying, money will be sucked out of the economy, not invested in to it!

Banks falling over, no matter how satisfying personally this may be...would be a very bad thing for the economy.

Mailman

Mailmnz

You misunderstood me, and have predicted the other extreme.

The banks paying a reasonable chunk of money out to consumers, and thus back into the economy I still maintain would be a good thing.

The other extreme, of banks paying out so much that they themselves start to crumble, or it causes mass economic uncertainty, is I agree, a bad thing.

With the way things are at the moment, the vast reserves that the banks have are held by a small minority of corporations or individuals, who either have it in offshore investments, or just sat idle. On top of this the banks are also syphoning off large sums to their foreign owners and investors (eg HBSC, Santander etc).

Thus money is being withheld or removed from the economy.

Money put back into the hands of the consumers would put cash into the economy, and would generate spending and growth.

Of course, above a certain level, there is a danger of it then transforming from growth and into inflation, and spiralling out of control, which would be unwanted, and is why it needs to be a moderate amount.

We all know, that really there is enough legislation and case law etc to make it obvious what the just, lawful and proper outcome should really be.

That by rights, if the law is allowed to follow it's proper just course, to the letter of the law, then all money ever taken from everyone ever, should be refunded without question and also without the need to ask.

We know this, the Banks know this, the OFT know this, and the government know this, but the overriding economic implications, would prompt the government to step in and prevent this from just happening.

However such intervention cannot be seen to be overtly obvious or it would completely dissolve peoples faith in the law. So they really are between a rock and a hard place.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Bank of scotland also changed charges !! Now £15 fee instead of £35 - £39 There must be something going on . ? Why change now I would have thought they would have waited on the judgement , its like admitting that they have been overcharging for so long. Fingers crossed x :p

The reason is that they can now afford to reduce their penalty charges as they have had plenty of time afforded by the OFT case to introduce a whole new raft of 'service' charges which more than make up for what they might lose

I strongly suspect that these new 'service' charges will produce even bigger profits then the infamous penalty charges ever did.....after all someones gotta pay for their world-wide monumental cock-ups as well as their sheer greed

I also smell a rat!

OFT: tell you what, bring charges down to £15, and we will ensure that it becomes legislation ( somehow) and then all you have to do is repay charges less £15. The poor punters ( who we don't really care about anyway) will be glad that after nearly a year , they will finally get summat back anyway. And you save millions.

cynical moi?

Odio los bancos con una venganza

I think we are mostly in agreement Photoman...and I certainly stand to regain nearly £1000 in bank fee's once the banks lose their case! :)

However the judiciary has time and time again proven it is beyond the grasp and control of the Government. As I have maintained all along, the only thing that will lose this case for us will be the OFT's borderline performance during the hearing.

Mailman

Guest vortex

Confirmed by the OFT themselves as well. Thursday will be an interesting day and no doubt appeals will be forthcoming whoever loses the first round.

Director of Finance Online - Bank charges verdict issued this week

Verdict to be handed down on thursday ??????

Has anyone else heard anything about this ??

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Here Bank charges judgement to arrive on Thursday: OFT case | This is Money

Bank charges decision on Thursday

Simon Lambert, This is Money

21 April 2008

The long-awaited decision in the bank charges case against major High Street banks will be delivered on Thursday.

The Office of Fair Trading has confirmed that a judgement will be passed down on April 24th on the case which aims to decide whether unauthorised overdraft charges fall under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

The test case will not decide whether overdraft charges are fair or not, instead it will establish whether banks' terms and conditions can be assessed for fairness by the OFT, under the Unfair Terms regulations.

Claims by those who argue the charges are unfair have been put on hold since the case was announced last summer, after the FSA granted a waiver allowing banks to postpone considering complaints.

Banks were estimated to have paid back almost £800m worth of fees in 2007. The case between the OFT and Abbey, Barclays, Clydesdale, Halifax Bank of Scotland, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, RBS NatWest and Nationwide Building Society began in the High Court in January.

Until today it was believed that a judgement would not be made until summer.

An OFT spokeswoman said Thursday should see a decision on whether the charges can be considered under the Unfair Terms regulations and the watchdog would then decide how to take its case on.

Banks have argued that their charges are not covered by the Unfair Terms regulations, which means they can be judged as unfair and thus unenforceable, as they are either a services integral to a current account, or are laid out in plain and intelligible language and so excluded.

The OFT blasted these claims that charges are a service, and says not only do bank charges fall under the Unfair Terms regulations, but that banks are actively encouraging customers to go into unauthorised overdrafts by claiming this is a service and then hitting them with unclear charges.

Despite the freeze on customers reclaiming charges, banks have continued to levy fees of £15 to £30 per time or more on those who go overdrawn without permission, while also imposing daily charges and high interest on balances.

Should the judge decide that the banks’ current T&Cs can be assessed for fairness, the OFT will then be able to make this assessment. We understand the OFT has already started this process so that the issue can be resolved swiftly should they win the test case.

I can see my prediction in post 181 coming true!

Odio los bancos con una venganza

Guest vortex

News of a judgement and the actual judgement itself is simply 2 different stories. News that is it being given does not state what the judgement will be. Remember, the judgement goes to the Banks on Wednesday 24 hours prior to judgement. I know I am being picky there but it is a moot point.

Guest vortex

There will immediately be appeals against any judgement given so do not expect this to be the end of the battle, it is merely the beginning of it.