• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5057 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Law is generally inteprested as follows when contract law is decided.

The contract sets out terms of an agreement but statute regulates those rules.

I.e Statue law is always considered supreme in this case and should be read as its written.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

without victory there is no survival.”

(Winston Churchill Addressing the House of commons.)

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Evening Barry,

Yes, but when the circumstances surrounding a point of law change there is pressure for the law to change surely.

So while individuals may not be able to continue reclaiming unfair charges from now on due to the supreme court ruling, everyone will benefit in the long term as the law will continue to be challenged and will eventually need modification because charging those people in society who can least afford to subsidise those who can is morally indefensible.

bornrich

Hi bornrich

Its important to bare in mind that the current legal system works as follows.

Judges rule on case law and case law is made from statute.

Parliament and the House of Lords rule on Statute law and only they can change and its usually public opinion that changes statute law so morals generally hit a centre point.

Any typos spelling mistakes are due to leprechauns in my keyboard they move the letters around sometimes (edited for bookworm god bless her sole) Deep Peace be with you.

“I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have

nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the

suffering.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs —

Victory in spite of all terror — Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for

All complaints go to the lootube. All conversations go in the white box then you click submit.

ok here is the ponit i just dont understand from all theses bank charges and the test case

the banks say they are chargeing you because that is what it cost them

therefore it is not a penalty charge ?

well if that is the case then why is that Last year the top six High Street banks in the UK made an estimated £4.5bn from penalty charges

if its just a charge then they should not be making anythink at all form them .

ok here is the ponit i just dont understand from all theses bank charges and the test case

the banks say they are chargeing you because that is what it cost them

therefore it is not a penalty charge ?

well if that is the case then why is that Last year the top six High Street banks in the UK made an estimated £4.5bn from penalty charges

if its just a charge then they should not be making anythink at all form them .

And why have some banks reduced these charges- Has it got cheaper to cover the costs incurred? I think not!

the banks say they are chargeing you because that is what it cost them therefore it is not a penalty charge ?

The banks say they are charging you because that is the fee you have agreed to pay for the banking services they provide you and everybody else, just that you only pay when you automatically ask them for an overdraft and they decline or give you one, i.e. if they decline your overdraft request then they return the payment and make a charge but if they pay it they have accepted your overdraft request and will then charge you other fees for this 'service'.

The point is, none of us were told in the terms and conditions (i wasn't anyway) that the account carries a fee for the services it provides, only payable when a payment is returned. I believe i have been misled in this respect because had i been told, i may not have opened the account. But then every bank was the same and acting like a cartel in an anti-competitive manner. The quote below shows banks work together to charge a certain amount.

It was said by a member of Lloyds at the Scottish Affairs Committee into Banking "The banking industry has generally come to an agreement that they will charge certain amounts for overdraft letters".

Edited by tifo

'tifo', well said! :)

Now that nicely brings us onto the subject of is a current account 'free' or not. The answer (also not in the T&C's) is that some will not incur any fees because the ones who have default sums charged to them will pay for you!

The term 'free' therefore, either written or verbally stated is wholly untrue - seriously. There's nothing free because it all requires a cost to operate. Then of course you hear banded around various 'billions' taken for default charges but in fact we need to decide if these amounts are the actual fees received or those disclosed. A small grey area that no doubt comes under the commercial secret umbrella. In the end 'money IS the root of all evil' as the saying goes. LOL

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

Now that nicely brings us onto the subject of is a current account 'free' or not. The answer (also not in the T&C's) is that some will not incur any fees because the ones who have default sums charged to them will pay for you!

The term 'free' therefore, either written or verbally stated is wholly untrue - seriously.

Absolutely right.

We can use the lack of any pre contract information relating to the service fee (only charged for returning items) for a 'free' account as misinformation (it was free they said) by the bank to induce customers to sign up with them. Combine this with s.5 as stated in the judgment as we were unable to disagree to the clauses relating to default charges.

Basically we were told the default charges were for returned items but they turn out to be for the whole account which we were told was free to use and we could not disgree with this. Many account Ts and Cs were changed over the past few years but most people's accounts were opened prior to the test case so there will be no mention of 'service' fees.

Absolutely right.

We can use the lack of any pre contract information relating to the service fee (only charged for returning items) for a 'free' account as misinformation (it was free they said) by the bank to induce customers to sign up with them. Combine this with s.5 as stated in the judgment as we were unable to disagree to the clauses relating to default charges.

Basically we were told the default charges were for returned items but they turn out to be for the whole account which we were told was free to use and we could not disgree with this. Many account Ts and Cs were changed over the past few years but most people's accounts were opened prior to the test case so there will be no mention of 'service' fees.

The quotes from the banks when questioned will be key also, the admittance that accounts are paid for by the ones who can least afford it and hence should really be labelled "Free whilst your in Credit and someone else is in Debt picking up your tab"

S.

Im not thick, but I really struggle to understand law, I really dont think its that clean cut and most of it comes down to a matter of opinion. But I really do beleive and I dont think thats it me bein hopefull, that there is a definate strong argument for us to still proceed in people getting thier moneys back! What that is exactly I dont know but the whole thing jus doesnt add up and there are many cracks to be explored in my opinion. Im sure there is going to be one succesful avenue or another. just mark my words!

As it stands today, I am currently unconvinced that a route exists for a complete refund of charges. I can't get unfair without price and I can't use price to be unfair. If I get to imbalance, I am drawn to price as the reason.

Can anyone get me from UNFAIR without Price involved?

I should add that I don't buy the cross subsidy argument at the moment.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

As it stands today, I am currently unconvinced that a route exists for a complete refund of charges. I can't get unfair without price and I can't use price to be unfair. If I get to imbalance, I am drawn to price as the reason.

Can anyone get me from UNFAIR without Price involved?

I should add that I don't buy the cross subsidy argument at the moment.

BUT you might to include the reasoning regarding NOT telling people that 'free' is not in fact free at all? So ALL people signing up for current accounts were in fact duped into believing something that was a little economical with the truth. This also goes down the track that 'fees' whilst disclosed never adds the words 'you will be called often and pressured no matter what your situation is into paying'. That's like saying 'we give away money for free' and not quite telling them how they manage to do it. ;)

'the-shadow' love your comment - "Free whilst your in Credit and someone else is in Debt picking up your tab". I wonder what all those brilliant people who never have problems would say to that?!

Michael

When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is. (Oscar Wilde)

--I like to be helpful wherever possible however I'm not qualified in this field. I do consider carefully anything important (normally from personal experience) however please understand that any actions taken are at your own risk--

"free if in credit model" which some people have called "free banking". I don't think anyone believes in that but those being charged are not the only one cross subsidising the current account market, so are those in credit as well.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

The starting point in contract law is that everyone is free to enter into whatever bargains they wish. The law does not on the whole like to interfere with the market. As I said several posts ago, the law allows a man to drive a hard bargain. However, the law recognises that parties do not always negotiate on a level playing field and there are various safeguards introduced not only by the common law but by statute. Statutory protection comes in two varieties. The first, usually called consumer protection, essentially rewrites contracts either by implying terms or by striking them out and in certain cases may cancel contracts altogether. The second is more collective in nature and is designed to prevent anti-competitive practices.

The fundamental problem as I see it is that an individual wishing to challenge bank charges can only plead the law relating to consumer protection and not the law relating to anti-competitive practices since it is not generally concerned with individual contracts. When he is in court and arguing that the UTCCRs apply all he can do is to point to his contract and the Regulations. The fact that several hundred thousand others may have signed the same form of contract is not relevant.

If we come to look at the position globally, we are faced with the difficulty that we cannot condemn bank charges outright since that is tantamount to saying that banks should provide banking services free. Further, the existence or not of a cartel is not directly related to whether or not charges are unfair because it would be quite possible to have a cartel with fair charges. If there is a cartel operating to keep charges high it is difficult to see how that fact can be used to get an individual's charges reduced.

We have since the SC decision naturally been concentrating on its effect. I think though we ought not to forget that the campaign has had the positive benefit of throwing the spotlight on the banks and getting them to go some distance towards mending their ways. The campaign ought perhaps have concentrated more on looking to get future charges reduced and applied fairly, than to raising expectations that past charges would be refunded.

One says the practices of the banks are unfair within the meaning of statute. Lets not get into Common Law as I know it causes arguments.

The contract/toc's are there to form the service the banks give us.

If we look at this globally lets bring the Human Rights convention into equation and forget the Human Rights Act for a while.

You no unfair practices could in theory be classed as destroying our private and family life. We have a right to that at least.

suffering.

My view is that say for example you miss a ayment for a loan or something else you might have a charge of £5 added. I think no one can say that to have a charge for example £30 for an error of a £1 is expected. The fact say, even though in an agreement that Barclays can charge £22 per day for using any of the £250 'reserve' for 5 days acceptable. It's all a matter yes, of fairness and negotiated understanding.

When you sign T&C's you are really signing an agreement where theose terms are the basis of contract. They are possibly negotiable and not set in stone. However as said many times, financial institutions like to believe they are in full control and those T&C's are they simple way of deciding conflicts. Maybe we are now of an age of automation where systems are (faceless) programmed to 'charge' and humans inputted those bits of data initially. However unlike other industries these same companies decided automation was a key to making more profit without human intervention.

Michael

barclays personal reserve is not a good one since you can opt out of their reserve. Personally, I would be in favour of an opt in or out of overdraft services as you can now do in the USA where opting out means ALL payments are declined without charge.

Earlier by Aequitas

that is tantamount to saying that banks should provide banking services free.

Certainly if that's how they are advertising it.

The fact that several hundred thousand others may have signed the same form of contract is not relevant.

Individually negotiated as per UTCCR - don't think so

Never mind 'devil's advocate' are you related to AK?

Previously posted by InformedSearcher

When you sign T&C's you are really signing an agreement where those terms are the basis of contract. They are possibly negotiable and not set in stone

Really??