• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Trading Standards investigating Littlewoods

mistycat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I have been running a catalogue for around 8 years now and Addtions Direct have gone through various name changes. In all that time I have never had a Credit Agreement with them.

Got into financial trouble November 2006 by March 2007 things had escalated, so wrote to all creditors including Additons Direct informing them of the situation.

They don't want to listen.

Sent request for CCA 11th June 2007 to Addtions Direct recieved a statement showing interest and charges. 12+2 + 30 calendar days and not CCA, of course I didn't expect one because I never signed one.

Keep recieving statements with interest and charges then letter from NDR (National Debt Recovery) informing me I must make payments on the account. Sent letter to Addtions Direct as complaint, no CCA recieved and interest and charges added to the account and account passed to NDR without been informed first. November 1st 2007 received a `final response` from Shop Direct Financial Services on behalf of Addtions Direct, will not remove interest and charges and enclosed was a document perclaiming to be CCA, top of the document reads `copy to us` the rest does not contain any inform need for a CCA.

Problem is they have copied my signature and name and address onto this document. I know how they have done this, I sent an order in through the post at some point and had to fill in my name, address and signed the enclosed cheque for the goods to be delivered to me.

November 27th 2007 I contact Trading Standards, as these are clearly committing a serious offence. I explained that I do not have a CCA and they have digitally scaned my details and signature onto this document. I sent all the documents to Trading Standards who have been looking into this since November 2007. To this day I do not know what is going on and cannot get any info from Trading Standards-they just don't seem to be able to get the info out of Littlewoods.

In January 2008 Additions Direct sent me a letter informing me of the increase in interest and on the statements which, yes, I am still recieving, the new interest rate has been applied and the charges are still going on. So far they have added nearly £1,000 in charges and interest. Trading Standards are aware that they are continuing to send statements with charges added and that they will not take my advice and hold action on the account until the investigations are complete.

I was hoping someone may have some advice as to what I should do next. I feel this one is really getting out of hand.:confused:

It might be worth writing/visiting your local MP.....I did with mine on another matter and he was very good....or you could even write to the guy featured in the letters in this thread (below) from the government....Gareth Jones MP....you could even write to the Director General of Trading Standards too...start at the top !! if you get passed down I guarantee you will get noticed !!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/133653-consumer-credit-agreements-letter.html

Thanks for the advice 42man.

I have just got off the phone with Trading Standards and it appears that Littlewoods do not have the information TS have requested, TS are going to give Littlewoods until the end of the week to come up with certain document then take some action. what ever that will be. TS told me littlwoods excuse is they have been moving round their departments over the past year and cannot locate the paperwork. I don't think TS even believe that one.

I think i will wait until Monday, then if TS don't have any info I will take your advice and write to the Director of TS and see if this will move things along.

On reading your thread i am sorry to hear of your forced bankrupcy, is it all sorted out now?

Thanks

Mistycat.

I had the same thing happen to me. My signature was scanned on a credit agreement. I went to TS last May and I was advised that the local TS had visited Littlewoods and I requested that TS ask to see the original agreement but TS were told that they don't keep original agreements because they outsource these to a company who scan the original agreement and then the original was destroyed. I was told by TS that it was very difficult to prove that I had not signed the document. However, I did point out to them that if this went to Court then they would have to provide the original agreement and they did agree with this.

I wrote to the Chief Executive and finally they wrote the debt off but it went on until November before it was finalised.

Good luck

i am still waiting for my cca from them since LAST october.

They have sent me a cca with no signature and even asked me to sign and send back the other half which is there copy. I ahve recieved the same letter about interest rates going up and i have not recieved anything from NDR since i wrote to them saying bog off.

The last statement i recieved was dated december 07 which l recieved jan 08.

I am writing to the necessary department in the near future

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi Littlewoods have tried the same with me but they made a mistake the address the put on my "agreement" is the address that I now live at not address I lived at when account started. This has been reported to TS and FOS etc. Even though I received one of their we will not pursue debt letters they sold it on to iQor and placed two defaults on account. Got rid of iQor with a no agreement get lost letter, Littlewoods have removed one record from the CRA files but are fighting the other seems they cannot read section 87(1) of CCA 1974

all the best dpick:)

I had the same thing happen to me. My signature was scanned on a credit agreement. I went to TS last May and I was advised that the local TS had visited Littlewoods and I requested that TS ask to see the original agreement but TS were told that they don't keep original agreements because they outsource these to a company who scan the original agreement and then the original was destroyed. I was told by TS that it was very difficult to prove that I had not signed the document. However, I did point out to them that if this went to Court then they would have to provide the original agreement and they did agree with this.

I wrote to the Chief Executive and finally they wrote the debt off but it went on until November before it was finalised.

Good luck

I had no idea littlewoods had be so active with this. As you say they scanned your signature and although it is difficult to prove, if TS get enough of these kind of complaints then some legal action can be taken against littlewoods and the so called company who they use to scan documents.

Just a question for you suprise, did the document appear to look like a credit agreement?

The reason i ask is the one they sent me had `copy to us` as the header and none of the important stuff which relates to a running account consumer credit agreement. This is not a true credit agreement. But the thing that worries me is they are scanning peoples signatures and puting them on documents pertaining to be a legal contract. Surely this is fraud is it not?

Do you happen to have the address for the Chief Executive?

Good luck to the rest of you with your case.

mistycat

The chief Exe and address

Mr M Newton-Jones

Chief Executive

Littlewoods

Shop Direct Group

Kershaw Avenue

Crosby

Liverpool L72 0F

I was advised by Tomterm to head Possible Fraudulent Activity.

The agreement, according to TS, contained all the prescribed terms but was improperly executed as they had not dated it. To have enforced it they would have needed to go to court. I urged them to take me to court but they wrote the debt off.

thanks for that suprise.

Will be on to them in a few weeks.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Thanks for the address `suprise`. I will make sure I head the letter Possible Fraudulent Activity, and hope I receive a reply telling me they will write off the debt.

You have been of great help:D

mistycat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have just got off the phone with TS, she has told me that TS in Liverpool have been basically going round in circles with Littlewoods. The fact that they took 4 months to sent a copy of CCA, they get let off because they did send it to me. The agreement, although i am still stating i did not sign it, is apparently an agreement, it follows their terms and conditions as stated in their catalogue. Appearently littlwoods supply the catalogue and by ordering from it you have basically a contract. They don't need a CCA to be able to add interest and charges on the account.

So legally I don't have a leg to stand on. Even though I cannot get them to answer any of my letters, i am advised by TS to get the CAB to write to them to get some kind of communication going and to see if CAB could get the charges and interest removed to the point of my request (June 07). I know they wont, as i have already asked them.

Does anyone have any advise, i am so worried about this. I feel asthough i am being cond into making the interest and charges and the copying of my signature on an agreement is so unfair. It doesnt seem to matter to the TS that i have been running the catalogue for 8 years and the doc they send me is 2004.

Please Please somebody help.

Its more or less what I expected from TS, waste of space really. Its difficult to tell you what to do because Littlewoods are a law onto themselves. I think the court route is the only way to go forward now.

Any suggestions on how i may compose a letter to the director of littlewoods to inform him of my disagreeing with the validity of the cca and how to suggest that it goes to court to get them to provide the true copy, or write off the debt.

Sorry but i am rather stuck.

Thanks.

I have been unsuccessfull with a complaint to FOS, as i tried this before TS, they said they are not registered so cannot help. i cant find littlewoods registered with any regulatory body to write too.

but as a good result you can get back the costs of any court action from Littlewoods.

TS gave you more of a response than l got.

well you will need to have fully gone threw tere complaints procedure and a independant companys complaint procedure first.

well you will need to have fully gone threw tere complaints procedure and a independant companys complaint procedure first.

After Additions failed to comply with my request for CCA, i sent a complaint and received a final response from Shop Direct Financial Services in November 2007, this also contained the questionable agreement and was their final response.

I then complained to TS and it has taken from 27th November 2007 with them investigating littlewoods.

Do you think i should send another complaint but this time directly to the Director of littlewoods catalogue first?

Maybe i could tell them i am disputing the validity of the agreement and invite them to take me to court should they be unable to send a 'true signed copy'.

Any ideas would be appriciated.

Thanks again.

Oh i forgot to mention. I opened the account at my previous address, not the current one i am residing at.

Will this make any difference that they have put my current address on the agreement?

YES it does.

it is obviously wrong if they have done that a clearly unenforcable agreement.

What should i do now?

Do i still write to them to tell them i am disputing the debt due to the wrong address, scaned signature?

Or should i just ignore them?

I am rather confused and don't know what i should do if anything.

All advise is appriciated.

Thanks.

You would need advice from people here as to how to word your claim, but maybe you should think about instigating court procedures against them.

The ace up your sleeve is that they provided this so called "valid agreement" with your old address on it. Once you have judgement against them, you could possibly think of reporting them to the relevant authorities. They would then possibly have a criminal charge to worry about. Having said that, the knowledgable ones may advise against it, but they will certainly help you.

If you send a PM (private message) to a site helper or moderator, they will come in and see this thread, and then advise you.

Dealing please be a little patient

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.