Virgin Broadband + Netgear WGT624 router - IP change anyone able to help?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5869 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

1: Unpower the modem for a few seconds (which releases the modem's fixed ip number).

If the router still does not work right, you may have to clone the mac address to do this.

A: Connect the modem directly via ethernet (RJ45 lead) to a pc and unpower the modem for a few seconds.

B: Power the pc in WINXP run Command prompt or Run, type getmac.exe it is found in C:\WINDOWS\system32, note down the numbers for the port (RJ45) there may be more than 1 device.

C: Unpower the router for a few seconds, pull the rJ45 lead from modem to pc at pc end and plug into router WAN port, plug a rJ45 lead from the routers LAN ports to pc.

D: Use a web browser (IE / Firfox) to login to your router locate the CloneMAC page (normally advanced settings or manual configuation) and type in the mac number you obtained from getmac.exe, then click apply and save and exit, now all pcs should work from the router.

Andrew

ASI Industries = As i in does tries!

As i in does tries!: My definition.

I will try, i may never succeed in the goal, but at least by trying i have a greater chance of success than never trying at all!

My opinions are my own & occasionally may offend, but it is not my intention to cause offence in the first place!

unless you change the nic card you will [eventually] get the same ip back again.

[unless someone else gets allocated that ip, which is highly unlikely]

why do you want to change the ip?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

depends if your a cable customer or a adsl customer.

if cable just unplug the modem (the one that has the big white cable goes into) for five mins as the ip will be dropped back into the pool

if adsl just unplug the phone line for five mins. adsl rarely gives a same ip

not sure why you would want to do this as all isp log who has the ip at any time any way.

but it would be very hard to prove you had that ip at that time anyway as stale connections are always about and even though you drop ip it can stay on your account for a while even if you have a new ip, even if that ip has been allocated to someone else

flawed system but then this is the only sector (it) that can get away with selling something that doesnt work properly in the first place

The Second statement is false, The first statement is true

Simpson ...... "if cable just unplug the modem (the one that has the big white cable goes into) for five mins as the ip will be dropped back into the pool"

Wrong I'm afraid, the minimum DHCP lease is four hours.

Emails get sent to your account number not your IP.

Indeed. Changing your IP won't help.

However, on general cleaning terms, please refer to my post here for advice on the best software to use to clean out your PC (all of it free).

And don't forget about our old friend Disk Defragmenter (Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools). It really does do a very good job of speeding up your tired old hard drives.

Changing IP:

This really depends of your provider and weather or not they issue a static IP oir Dynamic IP.

It is unusual for a domestic user to use static addressing but not uncommon for business. Having said that, my provider issues static address but give you the option of setting the service to 8 no NAT, meaning you get several IP's to use.

As for obtaining a different IP, as said above, if you unlpug your line it will reset, release time on DHCP is totally dependent on the settings of the router, but generally it will assign another IP after 5 minutes.

To prevent spam e-mails you need to add their domain address into your anti spam software or contact your ISP and ask them to block it server side. So, for example, if you wished to add [email protected] you will need to add @joeblogsunkknown.com, you can add this to your blocked website list in your netgear router by typing 192.168.0.1 into your web browser or in run from your start menu. you will be presented with a login box, for most Netgear Routers the default login is admin and password being 'password' however, if the modem was supplied by Virgin then it is likely they would have changed the password, this would have been included in the documentation that was supplied with your router.

Hope this helps.

Spam is just one thing we must all learn to live with because there is in truth no way to completely eliminate it

If you look at the details in properties of the spam mail its not even your address as often as not

My junk folder has about 80 per day but I feel I must just scan through to avoid dumping the odd one I need