Expiry of Dr Certificate

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5902 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been off work since the 12th March firstly with flu, swollen glands etc and terrible headaches (apparently caused by a cyst which is going to be removed next month) Spoke to my manager at work (work in a call centre, so they are not happy about my absense) and advised her that my Dr had signed me off until Tuesday 25th, so would be back that day. Just checked my certificate and ive been signed off until the 27th. Admittedly I should have checked sooner, but he asked when I was due back to work after the holiday weekend so told him Tuesday. Now, I feel fine now, but is it ok to go back to work before it expires?? This may sound like a stupid question, but in all honesty I hate my job and would welcome an extra couple of days off lol, who wouldnt?

Hi Clare

I am not an expert in this and my reply is based on being a manager and employee.

You should phone into work and explain the exact dates the doctor has signed you off and apologise to your employer for getting the date wrong. Say that the doctor wants to make sure you are fit to return.

From an employers persective, you can't go back to work as the doc as signed you off as unfit. There are Health and Safety, welfare and national insurance considerations, duty of care, etc. If something happened to you whilst you were at work, whilst "signed off", the employer would be responsible. As an employer, I would not dare take the risk.

Hope this helps and that someone confirms the exact position.

Best wishes for a speedy and FULL recovery

regards, Kenny:)

• Haha 1

Hi Kenny

Many thanks for your prompt reply, very much appreciated. Will call my manager first thing in the morning. Cant say im looking forward to it as they will not be happy, but its not like i take a lot of time off normally. I just hate the way employers make you feel guilty for being unwell.

Cheers

Clare

Kenny is absolutely right - you cannot go back to work while you are still deemed unfit by your doctor. Whether or not your employer is happy is their problem, not yours, and they cannot penalise you in any way for being off sick. If it is an inconvenience to them, then they have to deal with it and make arrangements for cover.

I hope you feel better soon:)

Kind Regards

Ell-enn

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

you will also need to make an appointment with your dr to be cleared fit to work. Just so your empolyer nows you are fit for work.

My mum had to have this appointment b4 she went back to work as her empolyer would not allow it if not. She works for a big company tho.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

you will also need to make an appointment with your dr to be cleared fit to work. Just so your empolyer nows you are fit for work.

My mum had to have this appointment b4 she went back to work as her empolyer would not allow it if not. She works for a big company tho.

I believe that once your certificate expires, you are deemed by default to be 'fit to return to work'. Although following a long illness you may be referred to Occupational Health, so that a suitable return to work plan can be implemented, that will support any lingering effects that you may have.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

mum had the same symptoms as Clare and savers, her employer, said she had to get clearance from her Dr before she came back to work.

She was cleared and went back.

It may depend on the company tho.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Hi, I think you only have to get the doctor to sign you fit for work if you're returning before your sick note runs out.

I returned to work last year when I still had a week left on my sick note (I felt much better and was sick of daytime TV!) - and like others was immediately sent home as the insurance didn't cover me to be in the building whilst I was signed off!

They said I could either return when my sick note had expired, or earlier if I got my doctor to sign me fit for work.

I had to put up with another 2 days of Dale Winton before I could get a doctor's appointment! :mad:

gdgd clare the result u should have got.