• Tweets

• I have posted the letter off today - sent recorded delivery, so should get to the Police early next week. I also walked along the street where this happened and checked if there were any CCTV cameras or video door bells in that section of the road, but could only find one. I talked to the owners of the house with the camera but they say it is set to only cover the area leading up to the house and not really the pavement or road and footage also auto deletes after 72 hours, so anything captured would be gone now. That was disappointing. I walked along the road a bit more, but couldn't see any other video door bells or CCTV, so that didn't help.  I always thought most people have at least a video door bell these days but not in that road... 😐 So came home a bit disappointed.  If anything else happens I will post an update here, but may not be for a week or so. Not sure how long this will take now.
    • Hi all.   I've just cancelled my Virgin Media because my Wife and I are going abroad for 12 months or so. My Son will be staying in our home, and wishes to start a contract with them. He signed up to a great deal for New Customers online, and a Contract Agreement was signed online. He had a delivery date for a Self Installation Kit but it never arrived. After speaking to numerous Virgin Media Staff online, they are insisting that he calls their Pre Installation Team (I presume that is their sales Team to try and get more money). He doesn't want to speak to them over the phone. He doesn't mind doing a Live Chat, but he hasn't got an Account Number yet, so that's impossible. He even had a chat with a Team Member on Whatsapp, who say they don't have access to the information they need, so he has no option but to call them. Why can't they just be straightforward with their Communications? Is there any other option other than calling them?   TIA.
    • Hi All, I'm looking for help with a P2G claim for another lost parcel. Given the wealth of information on this site, I'm hopeful that this should be an easy one to fix, but want to be sure I have everything. On the 6th March, I contracted with P2G to send a parcel (a £600 Pioneer AVH-Z7200DAB car stereo which is not on either P2G or EVRi's excluded from compensation or prohibited items list) using EVRi, sent it off, and that was the last I heard of it. The EVRi tracking showed that the parcel had made it to the national sorting hub at 2:12 on the 7th, and then vanished. By Friday, I had started to get nervous, and so, raised an enquiry. And then another, and another - well, they weren't responding, and I couldn't get their telephone one to work, I think in all, it was more than 15 enquiries. I also raised an investigation with P2G as well. EVRi closed the enquiry confirming a loss on the 19th March, and P2G near the end, although P2G closed it claiming that I needed to send photos of the parcel as proof - which I didn't have, and I also do not have an account with P2G so couldn't upload anything (I did test, just in case), and this is why despite receiving advice on the EVRi Fb group to send the letter before claim, I haven't yet acted. I have proof of the eBay listing, and the refund, to demonstrate that which was being sent, but P2G's insistence that I have no photographic proof of the parcel with the label - I have the photo of the goods in their box before sending, but this is for the eBay listing, and so does not show it after the fact. This I fear is what P2G will seek to rely on as a defence, hence my 10 week delay on progressing with this. But, I am more than £600 out of pocket for the loss: £600 for the item and £8.04 for the delivery fee, although my claim will actually be for an initial £611.09 to cover the cost of the loss, their delivery fee, and my 1st Class Recorded stamp for the Letter Before Claim to P2G, rising to £681.09 to cover the additional £70 cost of opening the court case if they fail to respond within 14 days. This question mark surrounding P2G's request for photographic evidence, is this likely to cause me a problem? Steve
    • Had a letter response today dated 12/6/24 from PRA Group re request for information consumer credit act 1974. Confirming they are in receipt of my CCA letter request - and that they are requesting the required information. They returned the £1 postal order. And my CCA letter. Stating that they will contact me with an update ASAP. They attached/included a standard ( non personal ) page about ' what they should provide ' and ' what happens If I don't get this information'.    I need to file my defence by 21 June 24. Any suggestions as to what that defence should be ?   
    • Thanks @dx100uk for responding promptly.    To be quite honest with you, applying for breathing space might not really help except some short term relief. I don’t want to default either as I might lose my job too and I cannot really afford it. Sorry for sounding bit stupid but is there something I can do to stop them charging interest and agree on reduced payments? Can I use pro-rata payment letters to get out of this situation without too much impact? I am working on information that @BankFodderhas requested and will be sharing it later today.  
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Inside a DCA!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4932 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Whilst I'm not claiming it was due to me & my threat of litigation, I have heard that the CRA's are or have already introduced a new code of practice whereby their clients will have, if required, to provide evidence that the data is accurate.

In fact I think they have recently been reminding clients that it is their duty to ensure the data is correct failing which they could be sued by the subject & have their CCL called into question

Just a shame that codes of practice are made to be broken.

I think we should put it to the test and insist that defaults

where there is no CCA produced should be removed by the CRA's.

Last time I tried I got back the bog standard "The dca say the information

is correct, so it must be true, and it's staying on your file." Type of letter.

When you realise that the CRA's also own a few DCA's and it's getting obvious to many on here, that they do share data and work together for their own benefit (deffo not for the people)

Lots of people have sent off their £2 to a CRA for a copy of their credit file, only to get a DCA contact them a few weeks later for a long forgotten about debt. It happens far too often to be a pure coincidence.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If a request is made by the CRA to confirm the accuracy of data held by a DCA surely that is 'processing data'. So when the CRA sends the E-Mail to the DCA to confirm the accuracy of the information on a disputed debt, they are actually asking the DCA to break the law and aiding them to do it.

Surely the only thing the CRA can ask for is PROOF that the account is NOT in dispute.

Then you can SAR the DCA and ask to see that proof. If all that turns up is an E-Mail confirming that they have continued to process your data, then a complaint is in order IMHO.

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear.

"Any Creditor or DCA that have agreed to the terms of CAIS by signing up to the information sharing scheme"

So, back to basics, Who or what EXACTLY is CAIS? I believe it is a scheme which banks, finance companies, Companies giving credit out generally, some 400 of them can sign up to to obtain certain information and share information about potential customers credit histories.

Who set it up?

Is it tied to any legislation or regulatory body?

Who runs it?

Hi,

CAIS is simply the name of the very big database that Experian has (it stands for Credit Account Information Sharing). The other CRAs have their own version but Experian’s is the biggest and most widely referred to. There is also Equifax and Callcredit who have their own databases.

This contains just about everything you do with any credit related product that you hold (however, having said that, there is usually only default data for bank current accounts). Since it is only connected with credit, then it doesn’t hold details of any savings accounts etc

It is divided into positive data and negative data (it used to be called white data and black data but that’s not considered pc any more!). So, for example, it holds all your monthly credit card balances, how much you pay off every month etc. On the negative side it shows any defaults or late payments etc.

Now the body that decides how this gets used is called SCOR, the Standing Committee on Reciprocity (insert any old joke you like here about them not having enough chairs). Reciprocity is just a posh word for sharing and it basically works on the I’ll show you mine if you show me your’s principle.

However, SCOR is very inward looking, it is definitely a members only club and they are just concerned to look after themselves. That isn’t to say that there isn’t a lot of politics and back biting going on between the different members about how the data is used.

Hope this helps.

nicklea

• Haha 1

So, just like the CRA's themselves they are a system they project themselves to all outsiders as some kind of authorititive system set up as a kind of 'legal requirement' so everyone thinks it's an official system or body, just like the post above I quoted, that's the way it comes across, but in fact it's just another boys club system set up to benefit the Credit Industry and the Vultures who feed off it..nice one.

The trouble is that the Customer Services teams who we complain to all start quoting these things as "well that's the law so you have to put up with it attitude" as they do about CRA's. When is the Credit Industry going to begin to start doing things legally and properly? :mad:

Just a shame that codes of practice are made to be broken.

I think we should put it to the test and insist that defaults

where there is no CCA produced should be removed by the CRA's.

Last time I tried I got back the bog standard "The dca say the information

is correct, so it must be true, and it's staying on your file." Type of letter.

When you realise that the CRA's also own a few DCA's and it's getting obvious to many on here, that they do share data and work together for their own benefit (deffo not for the people)

Lots of people have sent off their £2 to a CRA for a copy of their credit file, only to get a DCA contact them a few weeks later for a long forgotten about debt. It happens far too often to be a pure coincidence.

I agree. You know one of the scams the CRA's are pulling at the moment particularly as consumers are more afraid of ID theft than ever before.

They are offering reduced or even free credit reports to consumers on the pretext it's for the consumers sole benefit.

Whilst that might be true upto a point what they are also doing is building an even bigger data base of peoples personal details. They are even 'finding' debtors who for one reason or another have fallen of their radar thereby allowing the DCA's to restart their pursuit of consumers

My girlfriend recently sent for a copy of her credit file.

Within a month she was contacted by Westcot for an old

Freemans catalogue account. and a few days later by

Buchannon Clarke and Wells for an outstanding balance

from an outstanding gas from about 3 years ago.

Bog off letters sent by return post and all is now

peaceful again. :)

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Of course she did & it's a trick which many consumers are falling for.

I should SAR them & you find, as you should, that the CRA has recorded & passed your details without consent then you can either report them to the ICO or sue them or both - I would do both

I'm fully aware of what he means.

I'm saying that just because they signed a BtoB contract with their mates still doesn't make it lawful to transmit personal data.

For it to be lawful the subject has to agree otherwise it ain't - & if was it would make a complete mockery of the Data Protection Act which is precisely what they are trying to do now under the guise of 'sharing' info to 'help' the consumer manage their finances by refusing them credit

The CRA's have over the years tried to claim the mantle of some sort of agency with statutory powers allowing them (in their eyes) to disregard the rights of the consumer when in fact they are as much subject to the law as any other private company

The Data Protection Act allows processing for a lawful, (first principle) legitimate (second principle) reason without the consent of the data subject.

These CRA's claim they have a lawful right to process under the contract they have with their clients and a legitimate right to do so as they are providing a "credit reference" which is used by the credit industry to assess risks.

Personally, I think this argument stands up - but it does fail when they answer queries raised by data subjects about the accuracy of that data held by them with "out client has checked and confirmed the accuracy of the data, so we are satisfied that it is indeed accurate". If they intend to defend a claim and show they haven't committed an offence under s.159(6) CCA, (should they be ordered to remove the data) and meet their obligations under the DPA, they do have a long way to go, IMHO.

Could you defeat them by only applying by post and enclosing a letter stating that you are only applying for a copy of the data they hold on you, and that you withdraw/withhold your permission for them to share your data with any other data controller?

Newborn

Beaten:

RBS: £4,500

AMEX: £4,200

Barclaycard Visa: £12,100

Barclaycard M/Card: £12,600

(Including the numerous DCAs they have set on me.)

PPI reclaims (into my bank account): £25,000

Sorry brink but I have to take you task on this.

The CRA's can sign all the agreements they like but if the data subject is not involved then any such agreement is open to challenge in the courts

Also the CRA's seem to have adopted an arrogant attitude that they are some sort of statutory body - they are not - they are private companies subject, like the rrest of us, to all the laws of the land

I think you read my original post incorrectly. I was not taliking about 'lawful' in the way that you thought.

What I said was accurate when you read it in the context that this does not refer to YOU, but to the CRAs/DCA/OC:

Any Creditor or DCA that have agreed to the terms of CAIS by signing up to the information sharing scheme have a duty to provide the CRA with any information that '...would be of benefit to other CAIS members in determining credit facilities'.

I have highlighted a key point there.

I was talking from a CRA/DCA/OC point of view. The CRAs (all three of them) have contractual agreements with each other, so as someone said it is very much an old boys network.

I'm going to have to state a fact that may offend a few of you but it does need to be said. The CRA/DCA/OCs do not give a t*ss about the 'consumer', the 'debtor' or the 'borrower', they agree to sign up to an information sharing scheme to help each other by highlighting 'risk' clients or customers. And to be honest, their attitude is not to rectify 'an error' it is to keep to their 'lawful' contract agreement within this network to ensure that they reduce their own risk by gaining information from other companies.

I'm not saying it's fair, or right, and I'm not saying it is 'legal' in a court of law (i.e you could challenge them with case or statutory law for example), but it is a reality.:mad:

I think you read my original post incorrectly. I was not taliking about 'lawful' in the way that you thought.

What I said was accurate when you read it in the context that this does not refer to YOU, but to the CRAs/DCA/OC:

Any Creditor or DCA that have agreed to the terms of CAIS by signing up to the information sharing scheme have a duty to provide the CRA with any information that '...would be of benefit to other CAIS members in determining credit facilities'.

I have highlighted a key point there.

I was talking from a CRA/DCA/OC point of view. The CRAs (all three of them) have contractual agreements with each other, so as someone said it is very much an old boys network.

I'm going to have to state a fact that may offend a few of you but it does need to be said. The CRA/DCA/OCs do not give a t*ss about the 'consumer', the 'debtor' or the 'borrower', they agree to sign up to an information sharing scheme to help each other by highlighting 'risk' clients or customers. And to be honest, their attitude is not to rectify 'an error' it is to keep to their 'lawful' contract agreement within this network to ensure that they reduce their own risk by gaining information from other companies.

I'm not saying it's fair, or right, and I'm not saying it is 'legal' in a court of law (i.e you could challenge them with case or statutory law for example), but it is a reality.:mad:

I understand what your stating brink but what I'm saying is that ALL parties to any contract must be consenting parties each of whom should have an input into the terms of the contract otherwise it can be challenged under Common law

So i take it that it's not a good idea to request a credit file if you think you've fallen of the DCA's radar??? This driving is me nuts!

If you lived at an address where you know you defaulted some years ago, it would be prudent to leave it off your application. If the credit report then arrives with no reference to this address.... you should be ok.

I know of someone who did this and although 2 postcards were received a couple of years later from DCAs, they were ignored without any problems whatsoever.... and the credit file was gradually rebuilt from the "healthy" address.

If you've always lived at the same address however, then you'll probably find yourself back on the DCA radar, same as you would by making a normal application for credit anyway.

• Haha 1

PO the problem is that the CRA's are now not linking debtors through their defaulted address at 1st but by their DOB & other similar unchanging details which then traces them back through the Electoral Roll & once the system recognises a 'suspect' they are entered on their data base as being a delinquent debtor at their new address.

This may also explain why there seems to have been an increase in DCA's chasing the wrong person at the wrong address & also why there are more cases of time barred debts being pursued

I have a couple of questions for Onthebrink et al..

1. Why don’t DCA More often go for bankruptcy? If you look through the forums it seems quite rare. Surly if a person say with a 10 K debt has 30 K equity in the house if the DCA went for bankruptcy they would get all the money straight away (ish). That seems much better bet for the DCA then a charging order ( which seems to be the flavour of the day)

2. During litigation ie if the DCA has entered a money claim against you, when is the best time to offer a full and final settlement. I’ve just entered my Q&As and as of yet no CCA has been produced by the DCA. I’m thinking of offering 10%, what do think my chances are? or should i wait until just before the court date?

PO the problem is that the CRA's are now not linking debtors through their defaulted address at 1st but by their DOB & other similar unchanging details which then traces them back through the Electoral Roll & once the system recognises a 'suspect' they are entered on their data base as being a delinquent debtor at their new address.

This may also explain why there seems to have been an increase in DCA's chasing the wrong person at the wrong address & also why there are more cases of time barred debts being pursued

Yes... hence the phishing postcards/phone calls as well....

Yeah I know the type

1st it's polite but after a number of attempts with no response they start to threaten with terms such as "we know your there so no point in hiding" or the usual "if you don't contact us we will send our 'enforcement officer' to your home on such & such a day at such & such a time" etc etc etc

PO..I'm hearing ya , thanks, so the more addresses you have lived at before the s*** hit the fan proper...then the better? for i.e, i have lived at 4 addresses during the last 10yrs. the last address is the problem...but others are dandy. thats not even including my parents, but as it goes i have received a couple of bank letters at my parents house...haven't lived there since 1994. Is this going to be an issue?:o

PO..I'm hearing ya , thanks, so the more addresses you have lived at before the s*** hit the fan proper...then the better? for i.e, i have lived at 4 addresses during the last 10yrs. the last address is the problem...but others are dandy. thats not even including my parents, but as it goes i have received a couple of bank letters at my parents house...haven't lived there since 1994. Is this going to be an issue?:o

If you haven't made any payments/acknowledgements of debts since 1994, then these should be statute-barred anyway.

Re. other addresses... if you can "lose" this one dodgy address, then you might be ok... but will probably still get phishing letters urging you to get in touch "urgently" and so on.... You can ignore those.

As you are only requesting a copy of your credit file from CRAs and not completing a legal document, then there are no problems with this IMO. If letters are going to your parents house now, then they obviously don't have any real clue where you are... unless you inadvertently tip them off. :cool: It depends on how badly you want a copy of your credit file, to be honest. If you don't need it right at the moment, then leave well alone.

sorry to confuse, my problem address is the 2001-present, but i left that couple of years ago without letting anyone know...& became homeless as a result, now i'm in hiding. also i'd say i made some acknowledgment 2 years ago. Bugger, i have to leave now, but will see replies late tonight,

Thanks for your help PO:)

Just a question.

Why do DCAs sent you a letter saying we are taking u to court in 7 days unless you make immediate payment when this is there first contact?

I have just recieved on of these letters for a debt that is at a address that does not and never existed due to there not being enought numbers on the street i live on, there were 50 houses and they say it is for number 1,312.

This debt also dates back to 2000 to 2001 and it is defently SB. they are also claiming it belongs to a company that we had no contact with at the time. They are claiming for Npower and gas and we only had txu electric as there was electric at the property and we were not allowed to change suppliers as it was in our tenancy.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I got free credit report with experian and received dated letter for following day from dca to do with activ kapital. I had no clue what they were about and they seemed to know my dob and details I dont give out lightly. I did become suspicious that maybe the same details I had popped into experian had caused the letter, as this oc had apparantly been in contact last in late 90's They though were fishing for was it me at previous address, which was me and everything was dealt with via financial advice at time, so I knew statute barred if anything did once exist at all.

I just find the coincidence very alarming:mad: so is experian linked to aktiv kapital, ps report was clear.

sorry to confuse, my problem address is the 2001-present, but i left that couple of years ago without letting anyone know...& became homeless as a result, now i'm in hiding. also i'd say i made some acknowledgment 2 years ago. Bugger, i have to leave now, but will see replies late tonight,

Thanks for your help PO:)

It's not worth living your life in fear... neither is it worth anticipating a potential problem before you've got one IMO.

However, if you start seeing the CRAs as one large Head Office for debt collectors, so to speak.... then if/when you decide to apply for new credit at some point in time.... you will also be tipping them off to your whereabouts by stating previous addresses on that application, regardless of whether you go ahead and apply for your credit file now.

They can also access DVLA records. Not sure how legal it is for them to do it, but had first hand experience of that one myself some years ago.