• Tweets

• Commentary June 2024 WWW.ELECTORALCALCULUS.CO.UK Interesting article about just how bad it could be for the Tories.  Also Tories could be hoping on Reform not having candidates in many seats, as they were not ready.  
    • Even a Piers Morgan is an improvement and a gutless Farage Piers Morgan calls for second Brexit referendum WWW.THELONDONECONOMIC.COM Piers Morgan and Nigel Farage have faced off over Brexit and a second referendum in a heated reunion on BBC Question Time.   “Why don’t we have another referendum about Brexit?” he questioned. “I seem to remember when 2016 came around we were told there was going to be control of our borders and it was going to be economically beneficial to this country. And eight years later we have lost complete control of our borders… and economically it seems to have been a wilful act of self-harm.”   ... Piers missed off : after all somebody said a 48/52 decision would be "unfinished business" by a long way - was that person just bul lying (again)  
    • when did they (who) inform you there was a 'police case' and when was this attained? i will guess the debt is now SB'd as it's UAE 15yrs. have you informed the bsnk ever by email/letter of your correct and current address? you can always ignore anyone else accept the bank,  Block and bounce back all emails. Block any text messages  Ignore any letters unless it's: - a Statutory Demand - a Letter Of Claim - a Court Claimform via Northants bulk.  
    • I left Dubai 8 years ago and intended to return. However a job prospect fell through. I’d been there for 15 years. I decided to pay my credit card and the bank had frozen my account. There is no means to pay the CC so completely unable to pay when I wanted to other than the bank advising me to ask a friend in the UAE to pay it on my behalf!  fast forward bank informs there is a police case against me for non payment. Years later IDR chased me and after months/ years they stopped. Now Judge & Priestley are trying their luck. Now I have received an email in English and Arabic from JP saying the bank has authorised them to collect debts. Is this the same as IDR although I didn’t receive anything like this from them. Just says they are authorised?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Natwest bank charge...how much?

pebs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5790 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tell me the difference between the above and a bank charge? If you write a cheque without sufficient funds to pay, then that in effect is theft. You would have obliged the bank to pay the cheque on your behalf despite knowing the funds were not available.

=

Then the same bank takes 3/4 working days to clear a customers cheque that somehow on the continent is cleared within 2-3 hours, repeats this across several million cusotomers and earns the interest from lending this money to others in the form of loans/mortgages

Yet despite making this money and money from the billions sat in personal accounts (effectively loaned to the banks by those personal customers) that gain next to nothing in interest, they claim they will have to start charging for personal accounts if the OFT win?

End to free banking? I'm sorry, when did it start?

I'm of the opinion that the banks are already paid handsomely for their "service" (providing a computer that our money can sit on electronically for a given time), as their quarterly accounts seem to back up every time

There is not, and never will be, justification for this daylight robbery

Moral or otherwise

omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium

Please note: I am not a member of the legal profession, all advice given is purely my opinion, if in doubt consult a professional

I will watch with interest, my big concern is that we all end up shafted if / when fee based banking is introduced to finance the costs of providing current accounts...then everyone is the loser.

Like you said before 'its a cut throat business' one of the banks will stay fee free as Abbey do for businesses, while the others still charge.

Maybe HSBC as they announced £12b profit today.

When my business account was with Abbey it was 'free banking' I chose to leave and open an account that charges fees, this last year cost £98.30. even if personal banking costs got this high would you really be complaining of paying less than £2 per week.

When I watch programmes like rogue traders, it makes me mad seeing people getting ripped off, while there are some that would watch and think 'I can do that'. Its those bankers that give the rest of us a bad name. the thing is when banks started ripping people off in this way, instead of the other banks thinking 'I hate seeing people getting ripped off' they thought 'We can do that' and add to our £12b profit (would have been alot more if they didn't invest so much in the states)

Result!

Spoke to nat west the other day, the woman I got would not help at all with charge.

Rang back today and got the most helpful, friendly woman who apologised and has refunded the £38 back to my account!!:grin:

Result!

Spoke to nat west the other day, the woman I got would not help at all with charge.

Rang back today and got the most helpful, friendly woman who apologised and has refunded the £38 back to my account!!:grin:

Well done for you.

But why won't they do it for me for being 14p short!! And it was my first 'offence' as they called it??!:mad:

Try ringing back to see if you get another person, the woman the other day was adamant there was nothing she could do.:rolleyes:

The woman today was lovely and said as it was the first time this had happenened on my account she would gladly refund it for me:grin:

I think it just depends what mood thier in when you ring.

Hi Pebs,

Delighted to hear of your refund - It's mad that your successs depends on the person you speak to and their mood that day !

Well done.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thanks, I am having a good day today and tomorrow looks good too because it will be 6 years to the day that I was issued with the only default on my file so you know what that means......:grin:

Thanks, I am having a good day today and tomorrow looks good too because it will be 6 years to the day that I was issued with the only default on my file so you know what that means......:grin:

Unfortunately the legislation pre 2003 is that they are on there for 10 years! You just missed out!

Btw pebs, I'm just kidding you!:p I'm not having a good day so you shouldn't either...

Lol:-D

Ive been counting the days since November when Activ Kapital refused point blank to remove it:mad:

I think a balance transfer from my 39%apr capital 1 card is on the horizon now I`ll have no adverse credit!

• 4 months later...

Its the Halifax, I closed the account with them in October last year as it was only a cardcash account and they would not even give me a cheque book that I could just use for postal payments etc even though I had an account with them for 15 years. They have sent me statements going back to Dec 1997. I managed to get a current account with the Nat West instead. :)

The interest debit charges are not for an overdraft as they would never give me one.

Edited by pebs

With NatWest you have the added ammunition that the banking code (to which they claim to subscribe) requires them to give you 14 days notice of any charge before taking the charge.

Unfortunately, by the term 'charges'....overdraft charges / bounced DD, or SO are not included under that terminology....Don't ask me how, but I tried that one with Natwest and I hit a dead end.

"If you came took them from my van then no, but that is theft. If I came to your house and you asked to use my tools and do the job yourself then I would probably let you, but the charge would stand. (normally around £45). The £450 would be for customers who tell me they don't mind the banks charging over 10 times the amount it actually costs them and would be happy to pay me that."

Tell me the difference between the above and a bank charge? If you write a cheque without sufficient funds to pay, then that in effect is theft. You would have obliged the bank to pay the cheque on your behalf despite knowing the funds were not available.

I think the difference with bank charges is that there isn't any compliance on either side. Theft would be, breaking into the bank and robbing it. To compare bank charges to theft is a bigotted attitude.

I agree with most, free banking already exists in some form or another.

I'm all for an account fee if the charges are, clear, transparent, fair, did I mention fair?! clear?! lawful?? how about, if the charges don't bring further charges...resulting in a mass build up of debt, which won't go away...in fact each month it increases, ruins your credit record and hinders any chance of leading a normal life for the next 10 years?....all for going £1 overdrawn because the banks can't or won't improve their system so as to not allow their own system to take money that doesn't exist.....resulting in charge upon charge, as mentioned above.

I don't see how the banks can win in court in the long term because surely they have an admission of guilt by refunding several hundred million of pounds to consumers?? I'm sure their excuse would be, they were offering a gesture of good will....?

However, believe me Natwest are much better than Smile....They charge per day, despite knowing most people get paid at the end of the month...so they deliberately remove funds on the 21st, knowing full well, further charges will rack up. So as mentioned above, going £1 overdrawn in January 06 cost me £1200 in 18 months and a black mark against my credit rating....I did operate responsibly, which is why Smile couldn't wait to have my business....2 years later, I have a Natwest basic account and I still have a debt with Smile, made up of their charges, which is yet another battle.

I can't speak for any other CAG member, but all I want is to be treated with respect and to be able to know exactly what I am signing up to when I sign up to it. I want proper communication and dialogue between the consumer and the banks.

Sorry for the rant guys...

The argument about refunding in court is not relevant because all were done as gestures of goodwill without accepting liability. The Legalities of a case is what is important.

I agree with the idea of dialogue between consumers and the banks, in fact, I am sure that the time would right at the moment. However, I have dared not to suggest this idea on CAG for want of being shot down. I certainly have mooted the idea on other sites because it is clear that things are not clear.

I do agree with most of what you have said. The problem is that as we stand today, LEGALLY, bank charges are lawful. The bank lost one argument and I am certain they will lose the historic terms argument but the appeals will follow.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf